wc day 9 :: all aboard the Strákarnir Okkar express

Hagbard Celine

27 minutes ago, TheFlagship said:

The eagle symbol Xhaka and Shaqiri did after scoring represents the Albanian flag..both these guys families fled Albania/Kosovo from the Serbs during the Yugoslav War...Xhakas father was imprisoned for 3 years for protesting. It was personal for those guys.

this is a very cool story, bro. thanks for that.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Bone3421 said:

If he made PK...not automatic in this CUP

Was most likely a penalty but also there is lots of grabbing on crosses and corners

I dont mind when they swallow the whistle a bit and let them settle it on field

PKs are never automatic, but we saw on the second day (I think) that if you tackle a player in the box, then that is a penalty. It should ALWAYS be a penalty. Why would you (1) Ignore a rule so that (2) there is LESS scoring? You call that shit and it stops happening.

There were TWO missed PKs that England should have been awarded. This is soccer, not rugby. If you want to prevent the other team from scoring, block out better and/or don't allow them to send crosses into the box.

I absolutely mind that they completely ignore the rule when enforcing the rule would make the sport more exciting AND more enjoyable to watch for both avid fans & casual fans alike. The refs that ignore this rule should be fined and/or barred from future games.

There was ONE GUY IN THE BOX and yet no ref saw him even possibly get tackled in a way that VAR should be consulted? I think that they actually awarded a free kick to Switzerland and that VAR review would have taken 1/5 of the time that it took the ref to explain why he didn't think it was a PK. Why would you choose to have NBA level refereeing?

• Like 1

I understand the gripe but thats all sports...i have seen my teams get screwed multiple times by officials and everyone says it shouldnt come down to one call if your better

Im not saying it wasnt a penalty but i can see why ref might have thought it was just battling for position...doesnt the defender have a right to the space also on the backend that the serbia player kept backing up into

1 hour ago, Bone3421 said:
1 hour ago, GabrielsHorn said:
Back to back games where the Swiss get points due to VAR not being used. Shameful.

Missed first game on father's day...what was it

wOnrn6T.jpg

Another hug from the Swiss. Should have been a penalty. 

e: Here's a video of the incident https://streamable.com/fp2fd

Edited by GabrielsHorn

Maybe its me but i didnt see anything that forced him down...legs didnt get tangled and yeah there was some body contact and a little grab but that happens

And looks like brasil player was exaggerating a bit...could have stepped thru and stayed on feet

If you are going to give pk in my opinion and games i have seen it needs to be very clear

I have said it was probably a penalty but understand how it was not called....^^^^

We have had 12 pk and we havent finished the 2nd round of matches...trying to find numbers but that seems really high

Like i said up top its the world cup let them play a bit and call the no doubters

32 minutes ago, Bone3421 said:

Maybe its me but i didnt see anything that forced him down...legs didnt get tangled and yeah there was some body contact and a little grab but that happens

And looks like brasil player was exaggerating a bit...could have stepped thru and stayed on feet

If you are going to give pk in my opinion and games i have seen it needs to be very clear

I wouldn't have given Jesus a PK for that, but I would warn the defender that if his arms are ever around the opposition in the future, I will blow the whistle no matter where on the field it is AND give him a yellow card.

The Swiss Sandwich today was close to sexual assault.

Edited by Napoleon
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Bone3421 said:

I dont mind when they swallow the whistle a bit and let them settle it on field

that's bullshit.  happens in the NFL and NBA playoffs every year and (i imagine) the WC final every 4 years.  you play an entire regular season (or grueling qualifying process) with the rules as the rules, but then you get to the playoffs and suddenly the rules change to allow cheating.  why the fuck should that happen?  "well, the better team blah blah ..." better team under what rule set?  

• Like 1

Seems like there are a lot of people that watch soccer every 4 years that through the benefit of video replay (and VAR) want every niggle in the box and every inch offsides call to be immediately rectified via technology;

and there is another camp that says the ref needs to make the call on the field and unless it is absolutely egregious let the game go on. I find myself in camp 2. And I’ve found some of the VAR awarded penalties to be very weak. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Seems like there are a lot of people that watch soccer every 4 years that through the benefit of video replay (and VAR) want every niggle in the box and every inch offsides call to be immediately rectified via technology;

and there is another camp that says the ref needs to make the call on the field and unless it is absolutely egregious let the game go on. I find myself in camp 2. And I’ve found some of the VAR awarded penalties to be very weak. 

There are also people who watch soccer several times a week for years and see a two many tackle of a striker trying to head a cross into the goal and think:

"Holy fucking shit! We now have VAR! If you're too fucking retarded to see the tackle in the first place, at least consult the video review so that an obvious foul to prevent the score was made and figure out which tackling player deserves the red card."

After watching European matches in the afternoon and South American matches in the evenings and then having the TV on all day Saturdays & Sundays for about 10+ months out of the year for most of my 7+ years in Argentina, I fall into the "USE THE FUCKING TECHNOLOGY YOU BLIND PIECE OF SHIT!" camp.