General / National Strike?

MaybeACoordinator

58 minutes ago, Jim Tom Pinch said:

This is breathtaking.

I’m not saying jobs are bad, in fact they’re great. They give people purpose and provide a means to greater prosperity.

But think about what else they do.  They shackle people to things like employer provided healthcare, limit mobility, and indirectly suppress political activism.  Jobs often make life all about the paycheck.  

Well, in Hugo’s world there are more important things than money.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, F250 said:

I'm far from being poor but I still need a job.

Right but what would you do if you didn’t need a job?  

I’d travel the world, stay in the best hotels, eat at the finest restaurants, and drink the finest wine.

Too bad that’s an impossibility for the majority of people that are shackled in a mediocre paying job with limited access to vertical mobility all while wages remain stagnant and the cost of goods rise.  But I’m sure they had the opportunity to make better life choices that would have improved their situation.

41 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Right but what would you do if you didn’t need a job?  

I’d travel the world, stay in the best hotels, eat at the finest restaurants, and drink the finest wine.

Too bad that’s an impossibility for the majority of people that are shackled in a mediocre paying job with limited access to vertical mobility all while wages remain stagnant and the cost of goods rise.  But I’m sure they had the opportunity to make better life choices that would have improved their situation.

This sounds like something a college freshman would say while smoking pot. It doesn't even make sense.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I will admit economics is not my specialty.  However, I don’t think people in the United States have any idea how hard our population works compared to other free societies like France or Spain.

Our lifestyles are completely different.  Those are the shackles I’m referring to.  We are so economically powerful because our population works themselves to death.  Why?  What are we working so hard for? What do we hope to achieve? 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I will admit economics is not my specialty.  However, I don’t think people in the United States have any idea how hard our population works compared to other free societies like France or Spain.

Our lifestyles are completely different.  Those are the shackles I’m referring to.  We are so economically powerful because our population works themselves to death.  Why?  What are we working so hard for? What do we hope to achieve? 

anigif_not-sure-if-serious-gif-to-be-use

30 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Most Americans think they'll be rich some day if they work hard. They don't realize that's a lie fabricated to keep them on the hamster wheel.

Edited by David Dennison

This sounds like something a college freshman would say while smoking pot. It doesn't even make sense.

Next time you take an economics class Hugo try to get one that is not being taught by Patrick Ewing.

Two in a row that made me chuckle. Good work.

Most Americans think they'll be rich some day if they work hard. They don't realize that's a lie fabricated to keep them on the hamster wheel.

Most people in the world know they will never be rich, but at least an American has a chance.

5 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Economics are not my specialty but we really should be more like the Spaniards or the French. Jesus. And this from such an esteemed Surly poster. What an awesome take pal. Fucking genius over there. 

1 minute ago, Rex Kramer said:

Economics are not my specialty but we really should be more like the Spaniards or the French. Jesus. And this from such an esteemed Surly poster. What an awesome take pal. Fucking genius over there. 

Yeah, they get months off for vacation at a time, fuck that shit.

52 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

You can say that about any western democracy.

Much more attainable here than in most Western democracies. 

1 minute ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

They also have stagnant economies and dying countries. But fuck it, let’s take siestas every day and watch our productivity go to shit too. 

6 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Have you ever worked in these countries?  Although they get more vacation days, compared to the US the professionals there typically work more hours per day and get paid less; to compound the problem the average costs of living are higher.  There are also fewer professional positions per eligible employee so many professionals from Spain, France, and Italy have to relocate to ME and subsaharan Africa.  For international corporations with offices globally, many young professionals jump at the chance to get an expatriate assignment in the US, which is often only reserved for the top performers.  Of all the European expatriates that come over from France and Italy that I’ve worked with, all have hoped to work the rest of their careers in the US and they apply for citizenship.  On the other hand, the US citizens that I know who have gone to these countries for expatriate assignments return after 1-2 years.  

I love to travel to these countries and work there for brief periods of time, but the truth is that the options and economic flexibility & purchasing power of the typical US professional is much better than the equivalent in Mediterranean European countries.

Edited by Guest

1 minute ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

America is about to say hold my beer

If you and that pederast Dennison have any say, I agree. Luckily the communist sympathizing hipster douche isn’t good for much other than empty rhetoric printed on ironic Ts. 

If you and that pederast Dennison have any say, I agree. Luckily the communist sympathizing hipster douche isn’t good for much other than empty rhetoric printed on ironic Ts. 

Well, the typical MAGA voter isn't exactly growing the economy. 

Just now, David Dennison said:

Well, the typical MAGA voter isn't exactly growing the economy. 

Not a MAGA voter.  I just MAGA. 

This country is currently owned by a greedy corporate mob.

It ain’t getting any better until they are checked.

Can you tell me why billionaires need to exist in the world?  Like one sociological benefit of one person having an absurd concentration of wealth and power?

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

2 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

This country is currently owned by a greedy corporate mob.

It ain’t getting any better until they are checked.

Can you tell me why billionaires need to exist in the world?  Like one sociological benefit of one person having an absurd concentration of wealth and power?

Lulz. You ever heard of a little something called philanthropy?  

And asking why billionaires “need to exist” tells me everything one needs to know about you. 

4 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Don’t know but when I become one I will let you know.  Or not.  Probably not. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

Lulz. You ever heard of a little something called philanthropy?  

And asking why billionaires “need to exist” tells me everything one needs to know about you. 

What's funny about this is the current generation of wealthy Americans who had great-grandparents who never had to work.

Just now, David Dennison said:

What's funny about this is the current generation of wealthy Americans who had great-grandparents who never had to work.

I’d argue this generation of billionaires has a lot of self starters. But, your comment doesn’t address my point. Do you know what each billionaire’s philanthropic score card looks like?  Or are you generally just wailing against people that have wealth like an annoying poor with a keyboard?

I’d argue this generation of billionaires has a lot of self starters. But, your comment doesn’t address my point. Do you know what each billionaire’s philanthropic score card looks like?  Or are you generally just wailing against people that have wealth like an annoying poor with a keyboard?

I have a good notion of what Houston's looks like. 

Just look at how corrupt our political system is.  No one wants to see net neutrality go away but it’s happening because why? Greed.  

Our system is rigged to help the insanely wealthy and hurt the more vulnerable.  Tax cuts for the rich because they donated and need a return on investment all the while cutting Medicare and Social Security because we need to be fiscally responsible.  It’s a great scam and we have a lot of suckers.

9 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

DD would love to send certain types of people to gulags, others to re-education camps and others straight to the firing squad.  

DD, you can admit it. We know. 

36 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

They get a month not months and that would be for those lucky enough to find a job. Spain has had double digit unemployment for as long as I can remember. Their youth unemployment is incredibly high, it's very common to see older people working jobs there that teens would work here. If young people think it's challenging getting work here after college it's very difficult in Spain.