What are you listening to right now?

UDontKnow

• 2 weeks later...

Something nice about being young is all of the albums I discover that I had never heard before.

Today it's The Gap Band IV (1982). Outstanding came up on Spotify shuffle which led me to checking out the record. 

Really digging it. It pulls from a lot of 70s funk but has that 80s sheen and sounds super crisp and mature. Mixing has become such a lost art and it's a shame. Bit of 80s cheese - especially on the second track - but not super off-putting.

Produced by Lonnie Simmons who's only real claim to fame is the work he did with The Gap Band. He was out of music by the 90s, and actually passed away just a couple months ago. Always interesting to read about those guys that were super, super talented but just didn't have the breaks fall for them the way they did for others.

SIAP..... In new song...... "Band drives couple, played by Martin Starr and Milana Vayntrub, to break up in new clip.". 

Hot Chip provide the very literal soundtrack for a couple’s breakup in the video for their new song “Hungry Child,” off their upcoming album, A Bath Full of Ecstasy, out June 21st.

Directed by Saman Kesh, the clip gleefully shatters the most basic suspension of disbelief required for music videos — that the song can’t be heard by anyone in the video. Martin Starr and Milana Vayntrub play a couple who can’t get along and when another fight breaks out, their ears are suddenly filled with the relentless thump of Hot Chip’s “Hungry Child.”

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/hot-chip-new-album-a-bath-full-of-ecstasy-with-hungry-child-video-817787/

Edited by LTtxfan

On 4/24/2019 at 5:13 PM, Dolemite said:

Great song. Up there with INXS "Don't Change"

thanks for mentioning that, it's probably their best instead of the overplayed "what you need" (which is still good). 

I've played this dozens of times since re-discovering it

the crisp clear booming voice with so much range and youthful raw hungry intensity. One of the best vocal productions of the 80s bar none.  RIP Hutchens we lost a treasure. 

• Like 4

On 4/29/2019 at 2:53 PM, NowThis said:

thanks for mentioning that, it's probably their best instead of the overplayed "what you need" (which is still good). 

I've played this dozens of times since re-discovering it

the crisp clear booming voice with so much range and youthful raw hungry intensity. One of the best vocal productions of the 80s bar none.  RIP Hutchens we lost a treasure. 

The look she is gives at 2:27 makes this video for me.