Adding a Screened in Porch

The wife and I are looking to add about a 250 sq ft screened in porch in the backyard of our house.   Thinking we'd have electrical to have some ceiling fans and likely keep it pretty simple on build out.

Anybody done something like this in the Austin area?  Any recs on contractors?  Ballpark on price for this type of addition?  We're new homeowners so new to the world of home renovations.

It's all about your material choices.  Fiberglass screen compared to bronze coated copper, Trex vs. pres. treated vs Ipe decking, vaulted ceiling flat ceiling, roofing  materials, framing and trim details.  Fireplace or no fireplace. Does it tie to the house or freestanding ??  

2 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

It's all about your material choices.  Fiberglass screen compared to bronze coated copper, Trex vs. pres. treated vs Ipe decking, vaulted ceiling flat ceiling, roofing  materials, framing and trim details.  Fireplace or no fireplace. Does it tie to the house or freestanding ??  

Understood.  We'd probably go somewhere middle of the road material wise, flat roof, matching the existing structure, no fireplace.  Would attach to where the current back door is and be tied in.

On 6/22/2018 at 9:25 AM, gurt said:

The wife and I are looking to add about a 250 sq ft screened in porch in the backyard of our house.   Thinking we'd have electrical to have some ceiling fans and likely keep it pretty simple on build out.

Anybody done something like this in the Austin area?  Any recs on contractors?  Ballpark on price for this type of addition?  We're new homeowners so new to the world of home renovations.

Trying to get a similar thing done for my place. I'd be interested to know what kind of quotes you get.

12 hours ago, gurt said:

well, had one guy out for an estimate, they quoted me 42k for a 210 sq ft room! 200 a sq foot for a porch...

Those outdoor spaces are more expensive per sq. ft. than a bedroom (lots of details, corners, different materials).  Also the smaller a space the higher the per sq. ft. cost.