THE Adam Sandler thread

Goo Punch

On 7/15/2018 at 11:21 PM, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

That and it seems that he and Drew Barrymore should have really just hooked up in real life and took a go at it. You can't deny their chemistry and they are obviously special to one another when you hear them talk about each other outside of movies (like on Letterman or something). I'm probably the only guy on this site that liked 50 First Dates though, so yea...

Make it two, I liked 50 First Dates, too.

On 6/23/2018 at 2:57 PM, Goo Punch said:

yeah that's probably because the post was made around 10 pm. and yes, you are incredibly stupid if you bitch about a guy simply because you don't like his movies despite the fact that he's not making movies for you in the first place. like if i hate musical theater then i'm going to completely ignore the genre and it's comings and goings; i'm not going to sit around constantly bitching about Andrew Lloyd Webber and how he won't stop making musicals.

This whole premise is flawed. Adam Sandler has shown the ability to make funny movies. I even liked some of his attempts at being more serious (I thought Reign Over Me was pretty good). Fans of Sandler can reasonably complain that he’s mostly stopped trying, so he can cash chicks and film with his buddies in Hawaii. We’re not talking about Rob Schneider here that just can’t carry a decent movie. Sandler can, he just doesn’t.

• 4 years later...
1 hour ago, Dennis Taylor said:

Adam was awarded the 2023 Mark Twain Prize for American Humor. Say what you want about him but he comes across as truly appreciative of his career and those that helped him get there. Here's his acceptance speech 

that’s a great acceptance speech 

I've been listening to the Dana Carvey/David Spade "Fly on the Wall" podcast for a while now... it's been fun listening to all of the guys tell stories about that era of SNL.

One thing that comes across universally is everyone's love of Sandler.

They all talk about what a good guy he is how he's basically been extremely generous with all of his family and friends over the years.

Yeah he may just be cashing paychecks for a lot of his movies over the past 15 years or so, but goddamn his stuff from the 90s is so great.  He gets a fee pass for life in my book just because of that.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

I dont care for any of his recent movies, but he seems like a great dude 

I've played pick-up ball with him and others (Spade always seemed to be around) in Malibu... really good guy, talks just enough silly trash to be endearing, wants to win but isn't an asshole about it.

Sandler has moments he can stretch in to movies. Then he has a long string of stupid, lowest common denominator comedies followed by a few hit and miss moneymakers. Not sure how that gets you a Mark Twain.

Edited by RPM

On 6/23/2018 at 7:39 PM, KuЯdt said:

Sandler always seems to make sure whoever is playing his girlfriend/wife in his movies is fucking hot.  I mean, he gets Salma Hayek?  Please.  But I'll give him props for the casting choices.

This is really where the focus should be.

Wilson, Bowen, Lauren Adams, Aniston, Decker, Meester, Beckinsale, Biel, Chriqui, Barrymore, Bello, Hayek, Vega

The man knows how to fucking cast a co-star no matter how shitty a movie it may be. To my bunk!

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, RPM said:

Sandler has moments he can stretch in to movies. Then he has a long string of stupid, lowest common denominator comedies followed by a few hit and miss moneymakers. Not sure how that gets you a Mark Twain.

I'm not sure exactly the criteria, but being in the conversation as one of the all-time great SNL cast members, plus:

• Airheads
  • Billy Madison
  • Happy Gilmore
  • Big Daddy
  • The Wedding Singer
  • The Waterboy

And yeah there were some stinkers and paycheck movies after that, but a lot of those films have been extremely popular... plus he's made some really good dramatic turns in Punch Drunk Love, Funny People and Uncut Gems.

All-in-all I'd say he's had a great career, and as has been discussed, he's apparently just a a great guy so I'm happy for him.