Classic Car thread

TexasEd

Great thread. 
In about 1993 my hand me down Toyota pickup got stolen and I had to get a car.  I bought a 67 Chevelle (Malibu) convertible that my Dad found up in north Texas for $2500.  Daily drove it for a while but I was dirt poor and didn't have much money to put into it to get it running right.  It was a pain to start (carb issue).  I did a light "restoration" a few years later but it was on a budget still so a lot of issues weren't addressed.  Kept it all these years, just sitting in a garage, collecting dust.  I started a serious restoration 2-3 years ago but took long breaks from working on it.  Finally got at it serious a year or so ago (as serious as you can be with a full time job, kids etc).  So far the car has been gutted, stripped.  Full quarter panels on both side, 2/3 of the trunk flood and full floor pans replaced.  Took the body off the frame about 3 months ago.  Smoothed the fire wall.  Stripped the underside and currently getting ready for epoxy and Raptor Liner on the underside.  Frame is also stripped and I'm going to epoxy and paint with single stage urethane (satin black) this Monday I hope.  Front suspension parts are going to powder coat tomorrow.  New front end rebuild stuff (all Moog and higher quality) and bushings are in a box waiting to be installed.  Dad's coming out for a visit in 2 weeks and hope to get the body back on the frame and put on the doors and fenders/hood to get gaps right before body working the panels.  Motor is a 350 (.040 over) 4 bolt main block with JE pistons, aluminum heads and Lunati hydraulic cam.  Nothing crazy but on paper should be 400ish HP at the crank.  Originally had a powerglide trans, now a TH350. 

Considering how long every thing takes, it'll be a while before it's done.  I'd guess a couple of years, but it's generally been an enjoyable project.  will be painting it original "bolero" red.  The interior was originally red but I switch to black when I worked on it in the late 90's.  Since it wasn't driven much the carpet, seats etc are still in great shape so I'm gonna stay with black interior.

• Like 3

Mecum auto auction from Houston is airing now. I'm not sure when it took place or if this is live action but there's some sweet rides at fair prices. A very pretty '66 Mustang went for 22K, dark green w/white convertible top. 6 banger under the hood kept the price down but damned if it wasn't nice to look at.

15 hours ago, El Diablo said:

Mecum auto auction from Houston is airing now. I'm not sure when it took place or if this is live action but there's some sweet rides at fair prices. A very pretty '66 Mustang went for 22K, dark green w/white convertible top. 6 banger under the hood kept the price down but damned if it wasn't nice to look at.

The auction was last month.  It aired live when it was going on.  

My only beef with Mecum's broadcasts are that they show so many of the 60s muscle cars.  I'd like to see more variety in what they televise since I know the other cars are there.

30 minutes ago, Ldogg53 said:

The auction was last month.  It aired live when it was going on.  

My only beef with Mecum's broadcasts are that they show so many of the 60s muscle cars.  I'd like to see more variety in what they televise since I know the other cars are there.

There were a lot of muscle cars shown but they had what I thought was a pretty good variety. Toyotas, Mercedes, Nissans, Willis and a lot of Big 3 classics from pre 1960.

18 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

There were a lot of muscle cars shown but they had what I thought was a pretty good variety. Toyotas, Mercedes, Nissans, Willis and a lot of Big 3 classics from pre 1960.

Sort of.  I've watched a bunch of Mecum and B&J auctions on tv.  Seems like so often I can see in the lineup some cool cars from the 30s-50s that are about to come up while they're profiling like a '70 Chevelle.  And then they cut to a commercial and come back having missed those cars and now there is a '69 Camaro or a Roadrunner or something on the block. 

Clearly they will show what they think the vast majority of the viewership wants to so I get it.  Maybe I'm just salty because I prefer cars from the 20's-50's.  Very few muscle cars get me excited. 

16 hours ago, Mother mopar said:

Your guess is good as mine but where's the Mopars!

Guess mine is a "classic" in the making - don't see many 2 door Cherokees around. Recently rolled 94,000 miles - bought it new in October 1999:

AABF9773_76_AA_4_F02_B8_BA_FFB3_D3_FA6_B

Edited by Armybrat
  • Like 2

On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 1:15 AM, Lhorn said:

Great thread. 
In about 1993 my hand me down Toyota pickup got stolen and I had to get a car.  I bought a 67 Chevelle (Malibu) convertible that my Dad found up in north Texas for $2500.  Daily drove it for a while but I was dirt poor and didn't have much money to put into it to get it running right.  It was a pain to start (carb issue).  I did a light "restoration" a few years later but it was on a budget still so a lot of issues weren't addressed.  Kept it all these years, just sitting in a garage, collecting dust.  I started a serious restoration 2-3 years ago but took long breaks from working on it.  Finally got at it serious a year or so ago (as serious as you can be with a full time job, kids etc).  So far the car has been gutted, stripped.  Full quarter panels on both side, 2/3 of the trunk flood and full floor pans replaced.  Took the body off the frame about 3 months ago.  Smoothed the fire wall.  Stripped the underside and currently getting ready for epoxy and Raptor Liner on the underside.  Frame is also stripped and I'm going to epoxy and paint with single stage urethane (satin black) this Monday I hope.  Front suspension parts are going to powder coat tomorrow.  New front end rebuild stuff (all Moog and higher quality) and bushings are in a box waiting to be installed.  Dad's coming out for a visit in 2 weeks and hope to get the body back on the frame and put on the doors and fenders/hood to get gaps right before body working the panels.  Motor is a 350 (.040 over) 4 bolt main block with JE pistons, aluminum heads and Lunati hydraulic cam.  Nothing crazy but on paper should be 400ish HP at the crank.  Originally had a powerglide trans, now a TH350. 

Considering how long every thing takes, it'll be a while before it's done.  I'd guess a couple of years, but it's generally been an enjoyable project.  will be painting it original "bolero" red.  The interior was originally red but I switch to black when I worked on it in the late 90's.  Since it wasn't driven much the carpet, seats etc are still in great shape so I'm gonna stay with black interior.

Please do post pics.

A few months after we were married in June of 1967, I wrecked our '67 GTO on 290 in Elgin. Bought a new 1967 Malibu sport coupe - 283 with "3 on the tree",  A/C & radio, beautiful blue color... $2,685. Payments were $83/month. Sold it in 1973 for $1,000 cash - it had 67,000 on the clock.

Best GM car I ever owned.

Edited by Armybrat
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Mother mopar said:

Are you into the pre war cars? Like Packards and Duecebergs (s/p)?

Duesenberg.  That's where the saying "it's a doozie" comes from.

And yes.  I'm a fan of lots of different types of classic cars, but it's just that very few of the muscle car era get me excited. 

470baacb160c4af192312f936fdf4860.jpg
Bought this 64 Malibu at Mecum a few years ago. It’s been a blast, but my kids are gonna be driving soon. Might be time to sell. Any recs on eBay motors, auctions, or websites?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Couple of pics of cars my grandfather in Argentina owned. I posted these before on Shag so figured I’d drop them here as well.

No idea what this car is.  We think it may be a 1927/28 Nash.  Notice the right hand drive.
fda86ccd23bab7dccf036e49483e8dde.jpg

1960 Simca Oceane
3af4fc75adfd30ba75ee360a266789cd.jpg

1957 Chevy Bel Air
2e5b914ba7ff8828a5ba82701ee653fe.jpg

Edited by Ldogg53
  • Like 1

Ebay is great as it reaches a huge market but the fees can be high. I always touch base with the winning bidder and we agree to settle outside of Ebay to avoid the fees.

Hemmings and carsonline.com are good websites. Are you a member of any of the bow tie forums or boards. You can sell that way too. Nice ride and good luck on the sale.

Bought this 64 Malibu at Mecum a few years ago. It’s been a blast, but my kids are gonna be driving soon. Might be time to sell. Any recs on eBay motors, auctions, or websites?

• Like 1

Oh and I told the story in Shag so I'll repeat it here in case you guys missed it.  The kid sitting in the Bond car was my mom's neighbor.  My grandpa let him sit in it for a photo op.  Apparently a few years later a plane crashed into their house(or part of a plane) or something and killed the kid.

Your grandpa was quite a car aficionado.

Here's an interesting article on the former Imperial Palace Car Collection in Vegas ( moved out a few years ago). It once had a total of 1,000 classic & vintage cars including 52 Duesenbergs. When I toured it 16 or 17 years ago there were about two dozen Duesenbergs on display in a separate room. About 200 cars were rotated in & out for display at anyone time in the general collection.

https://lasvegassun.com/news/2011/may/19/million-dollar-imperial-palace-auto-collecti/

I have no idea why my post is in this odd format. Surly gettin' surly?

Edited by Armybrat

12 minutes ago, Mother mopar said:

Pos rep to gramps

That Jaguar is/was amazing.  Apparently he and a neighbor went in on it together to buy it.  Such a sexy car.  My dad and I started searching around for one just for fun and it seems they run $125k and up now.

Edit - just found one for $94k.  And a project one for $34k.  Lol. Such a bargain!

Edited by Ldogg53

1 hour ago, Mother mopar said:

Ebay is great as it reaches a huge market but the fees can be high. I always touch base with the winning bidder and we agree to settle outside of Ebay to avoid the fees.

Hemmings and carsonline.com are good websites. Are you a member of any of the bow tie forums or boards. You can sell that way too. Nice ride and good luck on the sale.

How's that work?  this would be a situation where highest bigger doesn't meet a reserve and you contact them or where there is an actual winning bidder and one of you cancels the transaction?  I don't think I could buy a car I can't see up close, but just curious.

Sweet Malibu.

On 5/5/2018 at 10:06 AM, Prepuce of Doom said:

Good story - post some pictures sometime. 

Will do.  I painted the frame Monday.   I'll paint the underside of the body in a couple of days, seam seal then Raptor liner on the weekend.  Body back on frame late next week when my Dad gets here.  I'll post some picks when there's something better to see than the underside of a car or a painted frame.

Carsonline is good.

How much do you want for it? Specs?

28 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

350, 4-speed, SS clone. Had a frame-off restoration about 10 years ago (before I bought it).  Needs a few little things: some weatherstripping, new rear bumper.  I've got close to $30K in it and would take a little less.

Carsonline is good.

How much do you want for it? Specs?

How's that work?  this would be a situation where highest bigger doesn't meet a reserve and you contact them or where there is an actual winning bidder and one of you cancels the transaction?  I don't think I could buy a car I can't see up close, but just curious.
Sweet Malibu.

At the end of the auction regardless of thw bid reaching your desired outcome contact the highest or winning bidder. Call him/her and discuss way forward and payment info. I've done this on numerous car/truck sells and I avoid the fees. It takes some trust from both sides but I follow my gut and so far so good. I've never had someone cancel their winning bid but if so,I'd contact the next highest bidder and proceed as mentioned above.