Classic Car thread

TexasEd

On 7/19/2019 at 5:10 PM, Anton Chigurh said:

Chrome sucks balls.

The cars I liked the best had chrome but not a ton, Camaro split bumper for example.  As I've gotten older, I lean more towards black everything.  Chrome gone away doesn't hurt my feelings one bit.  Those bumpers in the mid 70's were pure hell to replace.

What is it with auto parts stores that never seem to have anything I need in stock?  Not just parts, one time I couldn't get a 14mm wrench. I really want to support my local businesses but I just ordered my stuff from Amazon for almost half the price and it'll be at my house tomorrow.  And I don't have some exotic car, 90s japanese cars are a dime a dozen. 

Do you do the majority of work to these yourself? I never did learn how to set up a rear end.
Yes, for the most part. There are times I outsource as a I do not have all the equipment I need. Just me, a car and a bunch of tools in a normal sized garage. I'm a member of a few mopar only forums and they are very helpful in helping me with the restore.

• 3 weeks later...

She's all painted and rebuilt with new parts. When I pulled the old axles, one of the bearings had locked up due to lack of grease and got really hot. So hot that it left me no choice but to buy new axles. So I pressed in new "green" bearings on Moser street axles, good for 750HP.

All new brakes, hardware lines and stainless steel emergency brake cables. Sand blasted the drums and backing plates while I had it off. Once I get it installed I'll add some 2 quarts of lucas 75W-90 oil and Ford friction fluid in diff and then move to the engine bay.e0bd931f609acb6c990687e3c12a9e6c.jpg130f0ebf9fff283acba85b71fd9299c1.jpg6b66b0f9fa44b2ebf1df785cad56ec26.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
55 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Not a fan of molesting GT models for restomodding.  Do t mid run of the mill production vehicles being modified.  It's what I've been slowly doing to mine over the last 5 years.

Just to play devil's advocate, there's nothing that says that wasn't a run of the mill production vehicle being that had been GT modified previously.  

• 3 weeks later...

I couldn't see a vent window so I was assuming '68.  Although I could have sworn my sister's '69 had vent windows.  No pics of my sisters '69 you assholes

edit: yeah it's '68 the running lights/blinkers are closer together on the '67.  It could also be a TA

I see this one around driving around Wichita sometimes.

1968-pontiac-firebird1.jpg

Edited by mulletpelini

Finally after a long delay put the rebuilt dana 60 in the superbee. Was able to put in a water pump,remove the exhaust manifolds and all install new stainless steel emergency brake cables before the sun went down. Going to take the manifolds to a machine shop this wknd and have them milled straight to prevent any exhaust leaks.

1 hour ago, Chad Fuck said:

I'd do it if I didn't already have one unfinished car in my garage:

I am not sure this one would fit in my garage.

On further inspection that thing looks like a rust bucket. Somebody should be able to get this for a steal if so inclined.  

Edited by Anastasis

Metal work is one piece of a restoration that can sink a budget. What you see in rust, you can double that by the time you strip a car down. While each model is known to have certain prown areas, if the car has a history of being in the rust belt. It's a hard pass for me.

Best cars I've restored were from california and Arizona. Rust is usually just surface level.

Fired up my rebuilt 351c for the first time this weekend.  Fucking nerve wracking.

Had to cut it short because my gauges weren't working properly, and the Dynamat I put on the mufflers to keep me from getting burned started melting.  Yeah, not such a great idea in retrospect.

Full break in will have to wait until this weekend.  But it runs and I am happy.

Edited by Mach 1
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Mother mopar said:

What's the specs on the motor, stock build, any internal goodies?

All stock.  It's a numbers matching car so I'm trying to limit modifications.  Also it will be a weekend cruiser with my son, nothing crazy.

I am thinking of upgrading the 3.0 peg leg rear though.  Probably drive it awhile before I decide to upgrade or not.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Mach 1 said:

All stock.  It's a numbers matching car so I'm trying to limit modifications.  Also it will be a weekend cruiser with my son, nothing crazy.

I am thinking of upgrading the 3.0 peg leg rear though.  Probably drive it awhile before I decide to upgrade or not.

I don't think you will get any grief replacing the open diff.