Classic Car thread

TexasEd

Question in acquisition... I’ve been looking at 68 El Caminos for about 2 years and think I’m ready to pull the trigger. My plan is to get a project car and outsource the rehab. Thought being I can add some personal preference things like a bench seat, paint, interior, and a few performance items. 

The question is how do I really get in on things like rust and engine/trans being in good condition? I am going to have to travel to look at cars. Should I just find local mechanics that specialize and try to schedule an appointment or am I just going to have to wing it?

Question in acquisition... I’ve been looking at 68 El Caminos for about 2 years and think I’m ready to pull the trigger. My plan is to get a project car and outsource the rehab. Thought being I can add some personal preference things like a bench seat, paint, interior, and a few performance items. 
The question is how do I really get in on things like rust and engine/trans being in good condition? I am going to have to travel to look at cars. Should I just find local mechanics that specialize and try to schedule an appointment or am I just going to have to wing it?
What's the purpose of the car, street, track or combo, nostalgia? Then set a budget and add 25% more. If it needs metal work then your going to drop serious coin if it's done right. Next find the car that has the option(s) you want; Big block, small block, PS, rear gear, auto, stick etc. Once you nail down those item I'd start looking.

Research the known problems for that make and model. Each year can vary based upon design such as drip rails, quarters, rocker panels. If you can get a car with a history in the SW you'll limit rust issues. Once you think you got it start talking to people on forums, old timers at coffee shops, vist car shows and make contacts. Then use them to point you in the right direction.

Remember dont sweat the small shit, your going to end up buying a bunch of that. If the body is good and paint is reasonable, you can get a motor and trans combo easily that will fit your purpose. Aftermarket for chevys is big so take full advantage of that. Do it right the first time! Once you get tired of you camino get a mopar
  • Like 2

Appreciate the advice. My uncle has an engine and engineering shop where he has built Shelby cobras for decades. Any body material, any performance level, always original looking but totally custom for preference, paint in-house. Even has leather workers in-house. I’m not worried about getting work done but I am worried about overpaying for what I get to start with. Don’t want to pay 10k for something I think runs but then needs an new transmission in 500 miles. 

Your advice tells me I need another few months of research. I’m thinking if I can buy a good body then I’m willing to spend 20k on making it my own. I don’t need original or want it to be original. I want to grow a mullet and mustache and have a car I can drive to the golf course. Honestly, I can have all but the car if I shave and get a cut tomorrow. But I would love a good A/C, power locks, usb for my phone, and decent performance with my personal interior preferences and a cowl hood. 

Edited by Jhawk

4 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

Unless you’re wanting to do a numbers matching resto, I wouldn’t worry about the engine or transmission.

What I’m worried about is paying $10k for a car that “run great with no rust” and then getting home with the car and I’ve got to replace body parts and the engine has a knock. I’d rather spend 3k on something like that. Ideally I’m doing no engine or transmission work. 

Once I do some more research and identify a car I’ll probably just have my uncle fly down to check it out. He’ll point out every flaw and probably be able to estimate the cost to get it where I want it. I just want to eliminate unknowns. I’d rather know I’m going to spend $20k than think I’m going to spend 15k. 

Edited by Jhawk

I paid $17k for my Firebird. My mechanic, who really knows his shit, works on a bunch of Barrett Jackson cars etc, said buy a $25-30k car instead, you’ll be better off. I didn’t listen.

I’m probably an additional $20k into it and it still has issues I won’t be able to fix that I didn’t see when I bought it.

Whatever you think you are going to spend, it will be more.

• Like 8

On 11/6/2019 at 5:35 PM, Chad Fuck said:

One of y'all needs to buy this right fucking now.  I'd do it if I didn't already have one unfinished car in my garage:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1965-mercury-monterey/?fbclid=IwAR3mZiJ0GLLLx1P7LW3IaKrUFPkBbgOT8E-Pp9D0mi_hCHHqSdjc78v84oM

1965_mercury_monterey_157289559423891c3e

1965_mercury_monterey_1570492979ff9f9876

1965_mercury_monterey_1572718995f6c6c6da

RNM @7k. Seller higher than a kite imo. 

3 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

I paid $17k for my Firebird. My mechanic, who really knows his shit, works on a bunch of Barrett Jackson cars etc, said buy a $25-30k car instead, you’ll be better off. I didn’t listen.

I’m probably an additional $20k into it and it still has issues I won’t be able to fix that I didn’t see when I bought it.

I’m still in the market and walking my mental price range up. Thought I could get intjj on something for sub 20k, than oh maybe I really should get a well optioned turn key convertible or fastback and next thing I know I am hiding a slush fund from the wife. 

• Like 1

100,000 % this.

You are far and away better off getting one that is pretty much what you want, but someone else has already done all the leg work or resto/mods. Then make whatever minor changes you want to personalize it. In short, buy a finished car and tweak it.

You buy someone’s project, half done, half assed, midway through twenty footer and you will regret it both in stress and money.

Remember, here’s the equation: for every two dollars you put it, you’ll be lucky to get one out.

Let someone else be the two-in guy.

jhawk if your worried about getting a pig in lipstick, bring a magnet with you. Attach a rag on the end and if the magnet doesn't stick on quarters, rocker panels, truck pan etc...you got a shit load of bondo. Keep moving....along to the next.

Tbone is right, pay for one that is already done. We don't get into the hobby for making money. The muscle car market is really strong right now and everyone thinks they have a Barrett jackson special in their pasture/garage and is asking a premium.

How do you know?

Because I have the example in my garage right now. It’s a 65 Mustang. We talked about it on TOS. It was the car my folks brought me home from the hospital in when I was born. Then my Dad and I rebuilt it and it was my first car. Drove it all through high school, grad school and up to my first real job. The I decided to restore again. I was about six weeks (and many more dollars) from finishing it when Chad Jr. was born. Haven’t really done anything to it since. He’s started asking about working on it so we will probably get started again soon.

If it wasn’t a family heirloom, I would’ve sold it before working on the current rebuild and followed my own advice.

But for those who have no emotional tie to a particular vehicle, buy the one that’s already done. It may seem expensive now, but it really isn’t. I can’t emphasize this enough.

• 2 weeks later...

As someone who grew up around sherman/Texoma area. I've heard good and bad things about these guys. However, I've never purchased a car from them. They do put alot of their inventory on Ebay and their prices can be a bit on the strong side.

If there was a car I liked I would most definitely check it out and see if they could put it on a lift. As mentioned bring a flashlight and magnet to check for bondo queens.

• 2 weeks later...

Installed the exhaust manifolds and starter today. Had a local machine ship resurface them, to ensure a good seal. Installed remflex gaskets because as I only want to do this once. Second picture show the difference in thickness compared to a normal gasket. The GM sealer is great for sealing bolts that thread into water jackets. Which mopars are notorious for having.

Added 2 quarts of Lucas oil 75W-90 weight in the dana as well. Had to reasel it after initial servicing highlighted a leak.

Moved over to the Cummins as I had a small antifreeze leak. Identified that and that will be next month's project as it's just a few small drops.ac257b017c5bc9c8fde651864ebb0706.jpg80fdde036aff61fc8b59599e74801ed8.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mother mopar said:

Looking good, can't wait ti see the pictures. Paint and body is truly an art, mad respect to those guys who sand/block for weeks on end.

Thanks!  Well that's the hope isn't it, pick a shop that has some respect in their final product.  In reality it seems like a 50/50 prospect; every shop I researched had some positives and negatives.  I went with a shop that estimated on the high side ($9k, not counting any significant rust issues) for some peace of mind, but honestly, I don't know what to expect.  I'm prepared to trailer it right the fuck out next week if I don't like what I see or hear from the owner.   Fingers crossed.

• 3 weeks later...

This bad boy just went for $120k for a children's charity.   Buyer is from Austin so you guys keep an eye out - looks like it will be part of another good cause, Ride Drive Give.  Go drive it and give them some money.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1966-ford-bronco-20/1966_ford_bronco_157807683364a6f7f52ae3fBronco_002_web-940x616.jpg.89c4bb78458b47a61e4ecbd039d57697.jpg

• Like 1