Classic Car thread

TexasEd

Just now, Jkwellborn said:

A flat front van like a VW bus or whatever? To slay pussy in sir.

I dig, and support the motive 100%, but that's not a VW van. That's a work truck. I flash back to images of movies where characters drive thru Soviet Russia on the road ways heading off to work for 3 rubles a day. 

• Like 1

I dig, and support the motive 100%, but that's not a VW van. That's a work truck. I flash back to images of movies where characters drive thru Soviet Russia on the road ways heading off to work for 3 rubles a day. 

Yeah I know. I was simply taking about a guy I worked that had one of the vans. Those trucks are ugly as shit. The vans are pimp though.

2 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

The big rains earlier this week cleaned all the shit (salt & cinders) off the roads and it warmed up to 55 degrees yesterday so I took the oldies out for a spin. The 911 is so fun to drive and the Riviera just wants to go. So nice. Tonight, back to a bit of snow.

Yep, when the temps hit 50 plus, and the sun is shining, the top goes down, and the fun begins.

Just now, Anastasis said:

Anybody used an auto transport company or have a recommendation?

I had my car shipped from Rhode Island by a private contractor on U ship.com. I've used that service a few times for deliveries car, a couple large, antique porcelain signs, an engine block.

On 3/1/2020 at 9:07 PM, fattyflattie said:

@utxmike05 you and I have very different experiences at that particular discount.  I’ve kept count for awhile now.  They’ve had the wrong pressure and not reset my corners for 8 trips in a row now. 8. And I make a point to tell them every. Single. Time. Before. They. Start.   Been going back to the one by our old office whenever I can.  They went 10 years without fucking up once. 

Because you white...you Ben Affleck.

• Like 2

On 3/6/2020 at 4:02 PM, Anastasis said:

Anybody used an auto transport company or have a recommendation?

Used one to ship the MGA to Michigan. A few thoughts

1. Covered is much better than non

2. Drivers were fine - scheduler not so much.  I know they have to make a profit but every time they confirmed a pickup or dropoff time then the scheduler found another job "nearby" and since those trucks hold multiple vehicles - off they went. Take any confirmed time as an estimate at best and plan accordingly. Delivery early in the morning was after 5 in afternoon. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

What kind of seats do you have there OB?

Those are aftermarket TMI Products sport bucket seats with built in head rests.  They came with the Pony seat emblem option, better grade of vinyl, much better frame build, better, sportier foam seat supports, and have better adjustment hardware.  They bolt right in with a Mustang specific frame piece.  A little on the pricey side, but they included both buckets, and rear the bench seat.  

They have a whole line of 60's upholstery options, and door skin replacements for most any make car. You can get them in many different concourse or resto-mod styles, color options, and in leather if you want.  I went more old school with the vinyl, but kind of wish I'd sprung for leather or one of the other vented seat materials, budget was a factor, these were about $2,300 all in.  I think I posted better pics of these a while back on this thread.

They make a world of difference on longer drives, and the head rest option makes for a much safer ride. I think the head rests are a little too tall so I'm gonna have an upholsterer re work them to create a lower profile.  They look a bit more 70's than 60's right now IMO.

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

If you were going to go to the effort of taking that picture before the car was actually parked, you could have at least made sure to get all of it into the frame. 

Yeah I could have, but wasn't looking to create a magazine shot. I did crop the super can trash cans out of the pic though.. so there's that.  I'll try to do better next time.

On 3/9/2020 at 3:32 PM, AUinHsv said:

Used one to ship the MGA to Michigan. A few thoughts

1. Covered is much better than non

2. Drivers were fine - scheduler not so much.  I know they have to make a profit but every time they confirmed a pickup or dropoff time then the scheduler found another job "nearby" and since those trucks hold multiple vehicles - off they went. Take any confirmed time as an estimate at best and plan accordingly. Delivery early in the morning was after 5 in afternoon. 

So I hooked up with a guy who runs his own rig.  Has a F450 and pulls a two car enclosed trailer all over the place. Talked with him a bunch, read a bunch of his reviews, read his uship profile, reviewed his insurance information, and all that.  I feel comfortable using him, and he is very communicative, and will basically do the delivery within 12 hours of the pick up time.  Compared to brokers and carriers that wanted windows up to 3-4 weeks. We'll see how this goes.  

13 hours ago, Anastasis said:

So I hooked up with a guy who runs his own rig.  Has a F450 and pulls a two car enclosed trailer all over the place. Talked with him a bunch, read a bunch of his reviews, read his uship profile, reviewed his insurance information, and all that.  I feel comfortable using him, and he is very communicative, and will basically do the delivery within 12 hours of the pick up time.  Compared to brokers and carriers that wanted windows up to 3-4 weeks. We'll see how this goes.  

Did you pull the trigger on the car you messaged me ?

14 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Did you pull the trigger on the car you messaged me ?

tenor.gif

Had it checked out by a guy in that area who does Mustang restorations, as well as a separate mechanic. It's in the service shop at the moment getting some fresh PS hoses, and hopefully will get to Austin before the coronavirus does. 

Edited by Anastasis

14 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

tenor.gif

Had it checked out by a guy in that area who does Mustang restorations, as well as a separate mechanic. It's in the service shop at the moment getting some fresh PS hoses, and hopefully will get to Austin before the coronavirus does. 

NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICE !!!!

On 3/12/2020 at 1:15 PM, Anastasis said:

tenor.gif

Great fucking timing there A. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/17/2020 at 8:46 AM, PittsburghTiger said:

Sunday was decent, i.e. no rain or snow, so I took the oldies out again. This time in reverse order, '98 911 and then '68 Buick Riviera.

The difference between the brakes always makes me laugh. 

Have you posted the Riviera?  Love those back windows.

1 hour ago, mulletpelini said:

Have you posted the Riviera?  Love those back windows.

On the old site, yes, here not yet. But my Riviera is prior to the boat tail window. While that window is cool I think my car is better looking than the newer models. It was my grandfather’s car, bought new, and then he gave it to me when I was in high school. Dark Olive Metallic is the color.

I will figure out pictures here someday.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

1968. I personally believe the '63-'65 are indeed some of America's greatest looking cars.

67 was the year things started changing. Dashboards became safer, padded, and not as pretty, car companies started really looking at making them safer, which started trimming  all the interesting and dangerous details away

BTW not a true GT despite the hubcaps, stripe, and gas cap.  I am going to change all that shit out, with the exception of the c stripe, because I have a visceral reaction to up-badging the classics. I love the c stripe though and want to run the tires down to get some red stripes;.