Classic Car thread

TexasEd

10 hours ago, Anastasis said:

BTW not a true GT despite the hubcaps, stripe, and gas cap.  I am going to change all that shit out, with the exception of the c stripe, because I have a visceral reaction to up-badging the classics. I love the c stripe though and want to run the tires down to get some red stripes;. 

I agree, badging a vehicle to make it something it never was isn't one of my favorite things.  It's a normal run production model, which means you can have some fun with it and resto mod components and details.

First thing I'd add would be a few safety feature updates:

3 point seat belts front, and rear, immediately !!!!

Head rests for the bucket seats.  Careful on the source for these as there are some good, and not so good products).

Front disc brakes (also make a better stopping vehicle).

31 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I agree, badging a vehicle to make it something it never was isn't one of my favorite things.  It's a normal run production model, which means you can have some fun with it and resto mod components and details.

First thing I'd add would be a few safety feature updates:

3 point seat belts front, and rear, immediately !!!!

Head rests for the bucket seats.  Careful on the source for these as there are some good, and not so good products).

Front disc brakes (also make a better stopping vehicle).

Can we talk about the Ferrari guys that wear a Ferrari hat and shirt as they drive them? Thoughts?

1 minute ago, TexanTraveling said:

Can we talk about the Ferrari guys that wear a Ferrari hat and shirt as they drive them? Thoughts?

I mean, its hard to bash the guys who wear their cars gear.  I personally don't own a single Mustang hat or shirt, but would wear one, not necessarily while I drove it.  Having your car throw up on you with its logoed hat, shirt, and gloves does start to get into douche land though

57 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I passed on a couple nice cars simply because they put a GT badge on the side when it wasn't a GT. Probably dumb and a little neurotic but there it is. 

It's a c code 2V 289 that now sits with a 4V. Definitely the run of the mill drive train. Original engine block, actually has the VIN stamped into the block, which I was not aware they did but apparently started in early 68. Very well optioned, A/C, power discs, ps, console, deluxe steering wheel, etc.  But here is something funny.  It has what is apparently a pretty rare option in the AM/FM Stereo radio.  First available in 68, and it includes lower speaker grilles on both doors, which is usually only seen with the deluxe interior package. But it is standard interior otherwise. Not a combination you see often. Yeah, that stereo option...original list prices...

AM/FM stereo radio     $181.39

GT Equipment Group   $146.71

The latter would probably increase the value 20-30%.  The former, even if I had the original radio, nobody except for nerds like us would even know about. 

• Like 1

Can you PM (or just post) the transporter you used? I need to get my mom's '71 Skylark convertible out of storage in central Illinois and up to me in Chicago this summer. It needs immediate attention - I suspect that mice got into the heater core, and perhaps also caused other havoc. 

Thanks for leaving those granola bars and peanut butter cheese crackers in the glove box before dying, dad! 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom

12 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Sweet Mustang. Born the same year as my Firebird.

4889a37ffafbdcc9940da8489ff8df6f.jpg

And yes I take full responsibility for the parking douchebaggery in the completely empty garage.

I fucking love the firebirds. I got stuck on fords at an early age, otherwise I would be all over that ride. 

• Like 1

And speaking of reflectors, the Pontiac team did a mich better job integrating them than the for team did. Ford slapped a big rectangle on the side. The Pontiac emblem was a nice touch.  It’s amazing all the safety measures that we just coming on during this time frame. Shoulder belts were like a mid year add. 

10 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Saw this 68 E Type at Lowes yesterday. Always had a very soft spot in my heart for these, even if the Prince of Darkness is always your co pilot.

Yep - Lucas company motto - be home before dark...

10 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

FullSizeRender-151 copy.jpg

FullSizeRender-151.jpg

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, AUinHsv said:

Yep - Lucas company motto - be home before dark...

Heh he heh, Hadn't heard that one before.  I'm assuming someone has created a replacement harness for those original, shitty, systems.  If not I'm gonna.

I wouldn't own an old car if it wasn't reliable. I wanna get in, turn the key, and go every time. .........and make it back home.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Saw this 68 E Type at Lowes yesterday. Always had a very soft spot in my heart for these, even if the Prince of Darkness is always your co pilot.

FullSizeRender-151 copy.jpg

FullSizeRender-151.jpg

I don't know if this is accurate, or not, but I seem to remember seeing something where Enzo Ferrari said the E-Type was the most beautiful car, ever.

59 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

I don't know if this is accurate, or not, but I seem to remember seeing something where Enzo Ferrari said the E-Type was the most beautiful car, ever.

I can't think of any of off the top of my head that are more beautiful. The lines of that car ooze sex, and beauty all in one flawed package...... just like  woman.

• Like 1

Heh he heh, Hadn't heard that one before.  I'm assuming someone has created a replacement harness for those original, shitty, systems.  If not I'm gonna.
I wouldn't own an old car if it wasn't reliable. I wanna get in, turn the key, and go every time. .........and make it back home.

Have had three Lucas equipped British roadsters and never had an issue with the electrical. One was a TR3 that sat sat in a back yard under a tarp for three years. Towed it home, drained and filled the tank and plopped a new battery in it. Cranked right up and everything worked. Who knows? Maybe just lucky.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Just one element of the E-type has always bothered me, and it's on display in the above pix:  the wheel wells/arches are too big for the wheels/tires.

Nice.  This is the classic car thread equivalent of "ugly knees, would not bang." 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I've heard that one. Prince of Darkness is about as descriptive, and as well coined a phrase as you can get.

A couple of years I learned one of the automotive WTH's. The Amphicar - which was an pretty cool project - make a car that runs on land and on water. Guess who they chose for electronics - yep Lucas. Nothing wrong with electricity and water..  Also heard LBJ had one on his ranch and would scare by flying down a hill toward a lake yelling  No Brakes and then plow into the water.

In college my MGA with Lucas decided it was time to try and light the car on fire at lunch. Arced the starter switch which was a big box in engine compartment. The equivalent of arc welding until the battery ran down. Melted part of wiring harness - had to patch it and crank start the car until a new switch arrived.

17 hours ago, Ths71 said:

Have had three Lucas equipped British roadsters and never had an issue with the electrical. One was a TR3 that sat sat in a back yard under a tarp for three years. Towed it home, drained and filled the tank and plopped a new battery in it. Cranked right up and everything worked. Who knows? Maybe just lucky.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah results vary, but they didn't get that nickname for being an evil, Hell dwelling, demon..... they just made you feel like they were named after a Hell dwelling, demon....

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Like 1

A couple of years I learned one of the automotive WTH's. The Amphicar - which was an pretty cool project - make a car that runs on land and on water. Guess who they chose for electronics - yep Lucas. Nothing wrong with electricity and water..  Also heard LBJ had one on his ranch and would scare by flying down a hill toward a lake yelling  No Brakes and then plow into the water.
In college my MGA with Lucas decided it was time to try and light the car on fire at lunch. Arced the starter switch which was a big box in engine compartment. The equivalent of arc welding until the battery ran down. Melted part of wiring harness - had to patch it and crank start the car until a new switch arrived.

*Pedernales River.

3 hours ago, Mach 1 said:

Well hello there, welcome home.   Did the paint shop treat you well?  Yes I see they did.

IMG_5844.thumb.jpg.ef377152ab8666437534c0932ec8989a.jpgIMG_5848.thumb.jpg.444a6f89d35db79cc2ca53744b511dd2.jpg

Looking very good. Can you give us a run down of the process from start to finish.  I think you posted some pics of a guy sandblasting it prior to painting.  Interested in what the whole process looked like.  What kind of rust abatment was done (is the cowl area fucked on teh 70s too?)?  Did you have the underbody detailed?

Looks great.  Gonna be a fun project putting that back together. 

13 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Looking very good. Can you give us a run down of the process from start to finish.  I think you posted some pics of a guy sandblasting it prior to painting.  Interested in what the whole process looked like.  What kind of rust abatment was done (is the cowl area fucked on teh 70s too?)?  Did you have the underbody detailed?

When I bought the car it had a shitty layer of primer on it, so I used magnets to try and gauge how much filler was on the car.  Turns out I was lucky, very little.  Only cancer was on the rear wheel well, so when it was blasted there weren't any surprises.

I was also lucky in that there was so much tar/grease/much built up under the car, it acted as a protective shield.  I got underneath and manually cleaned all the old shit off and found the original red oxide primer on most of the undercarriage.  Afterward sprayed on the 3M protective coating.

The cowl had some pinhole leaks on the driver's side, which must have gotten underneath the carpet and trashed the driver's side floorpan (PO did some Frankenstein patching).  I decided against replacing the cowl.  One, that work would have been brain damage and likely beyond my abilities.  And 2, it still seemed structurally sound. So I hit it the pinholes with rust evaporator, filled them in with JB Weld or something similar, and then coated upside and underside with POR 15.

I took a welding class and replaced the DS floorpan myself.  Sealed all the seams and used the 3M coating to finish it off.

I talked to 3 or 4 body shops. Some guys wanted to replace EVERY panel regardless of the shape it was in - probably to make the job easier.  I went with a guy that reused all the original pieces and fixed rusty patches here and there.

What's on the docket for your new ride?

IMG_4515.JPG

IMG_7854.JPG

IMG_4496.JPG

• Like 1

Nice. Tell me more about this rust evaporator and 3m coating. I have a spot on the door that has a little more going on than I though based on initial inspection, and what appears to be surface rust in the cowl area, but really need to pull it out and get in there with a borescope to check it out.

15 minutes ago, Mach 1 said:

What's on the docket for your new ride?

Right now, just sorting out a few minor mechanical issues and cruising.  I'm looking for an original AM/FM stereo radio to stick in the dash. The paint is a nice from 10 ft, but will need a fresh squirt in a few years. 

but really need to pull it out and get in there with a borescope to check it out.

You should be able to remove the cowl vent and the wiper motor to get a good luck/access to the top without having to scope.  Underside a different story, wiring every where, lower dash, etc.

Surface rust no big deal.  Hit it with these 2 and you're good to go.

https://evapo-rust.com/.  Use a paper towel doused with the stuff and lay it on the cowl, as much direct contact as possible. Do this a couple times over 2 days and you're good.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-03584-Professional-Rubberized-Undercoating/dp/B002H9CMCQ

9 minutes ago, Mach 1 said:

You should be able to remove the cowl vent and the wiper motor to get a good luck/access to the top without having to scope.  Underside a different story, wiring every where, lower dash, etc.

It must be different on the 70 cause I am pretty sure that the cowl vent is not removable on the 68. 

13 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

It must be different on the 70 cause I am pretty sure that the cowl vent is not removable on the 68. 

Holy shit, WTF were Ford engineers thinking?  That is bizarre.

Anyway, here's an article my Google machine popped up.  

http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-to/paint-body/mump-1302-cowl-vent-repair-solutions

Just now, tbone_ said:

The now wife drove a purple gremlin in college, which means I drove a purple Gremlin in college.  

wheeeew .......... I've been keeping that secret for 25 years... It feels good to get it off my chest.

Restoring my 67 Chevelle I’ve been thinking about doing my own nickel plating of small parts - brackets, etc. Not going for full concourse restoration, I just don’t want to paint everything satin black or put it back on crusty looking. Mainly think about underhood, under dash, Ac brackets and such. I’ll let you know how it goes. I know there are kits available but seems like you can do it on the cheap with simple, easy to acquire ingredients.
Got some time off from the hospital, vacation obviously cancelled so I’m hoping to get some time blocking the body this week. Too cold to spray 2k primer unfortunately

• Like 2

Nothing special. It was a car I bought in college when my truck was stolen so I’ve had it for 27 years or so. 67 Malibu convertible. Originally a 327 motor with a power glide transmission. I rebuilt a 350 motor sitting on and engine stand. Also nothing special. Stock crank, forged pistons, hydraulic cam. Edelbrock heads and manifold. swapped the power glide for a 3 speed auto trans
Swapped bench seat for buckets.
Plan to eventually go back to original red / red paint.
Took off the frame last year and did the underside of the car with epoxy and rhino liner.

• Like 5