Classic Car thread

TexasEd

41 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

That Riviera sporting a 455?

Rivs and Toronados are increasingly attractive to me for some reason.

This Riviera is a 1968. It was bought by my grandfather and when I was in high school he gave it to me. It has the 430. If I remember correctly the 455 did not hit the Riviera until 1970. I know I am biased but I think the Riviera is a better-looking car than the Olds. I never liked the dumpy rear on the Toronado.

and I would say, I'm somewhat mechanically inclined. Never formally trained or anything, but helped with repairs on cars growing up. Not a machinist or fabricator or anything, but bolt on parts, fluids, brakes, and maybe a carb rebuild I can handle. If I had to pull the engine, I would probably outsource it.  
I can tell you that you can get some nice cars for $40K. The aftermarket is huge for blue ovals and bow tie cars. If you want to tinker and smell gas and have some mechanical aptitude you'll do just fine with a big block and a carb.

1 minute ago, Mother mopar said:
1 hour ago, JSB said:
and I would say, I'm somewhat mechanically inclined. Never formally trained or anything, but helped with repairs on cars growing up. Not a machinist or fabricator or anything, but bolt on parts, fluids, brakes, and maybe a carb rebuild I can handle. If I had to pull the engine, I would probably outsource it.  

Read more  

I can tell you that you can get some nice cars for $40K. The aftermarket is huge for blue ovals and bow tie cars. If you want to tinker and smell gas and have some mechanical aptitude you'll do just fine with a big block and a carb.

He can maybe get better numbers (in my opinion) if it's not a low production number/ rare car, or a fastback.  

Daily driver Is the key in my opinion.  I don't worry so much about my paint job because I like to drive it so that can be a factor in the cost  .

He should be able to get a good restored 60's mustang or cameo, firebird in the mid  $20's to the low $30's. no idea about those MOPARS.

$40k could get you something pretty well gone over.

I think that upper 20s to lower 30s is right for a clean, mechanically sound, no/minimal rust driver.   And most likely you will be in the 30s if you really want all three of those to hit.

Here is a 1968 convertible that closing today currently @ 38k.  Very nice car, a low numbers car due to combination of late model year J code engine and color codes, but not something that I would say is particularly rare (like a GT, 390, etc.). 

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1968-ford-mustang-convertible-3/

Just now, Anastasis said:

Wow, closed @46k.  That's at least 10k high, and probably more like 15k given buyer premium, by my sense.

Yeah I just looked online at several 60's mustangs in the mid to high $20's.  Unless it's a GT, fastback, low production convertible or mega rare engine set up or factory triple black paying more than $30k is money wasted, for Mustangs at least.

1 hour ago, tbone_ said:

As an example, there is a very well known poster on this site who had $80k into a 67 Camaro he sold for $26.

Well that was his problem. Had he just put another couple K into it he'd have cleared upwards of $30.  Shit I've got more in mine than I'll ever get back, and every one of those purchases made me smile bigly.

Edited by Onboard 2.0

For every dollar you put into a classic car you’ll get a cool $0.50 back.

So pick one that someone else has made that losing bet on. Doesn’t matter if it’s the wrong color or doesn’t have some whistle or bell some other car you saw had. I guarantee that wish can be fixed for less than doing your own resto.

Also, go to Meacum to look, not buy. Get a feel for what you’d like and enjoy the scene. Because it is a scene. But don’t compete with all those other morons to buy it. Watch BAT until someone is selling their dead Dad’s pride and joy from the other side of the country and just want rid of it. Buy THAT car.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

For every dollar you put into a classic car you’ll get a cool $0.50 back.

So pick one that someone else has made that losing bet on. Doesn’t matter if it’s the wrong color or doesn’t have some whistle or bell some other car you saw had. I guarantee that wish can be fixed for less than doing your own resto.

Also, go to Meacum to look, not buy. Get a feel for what you’d like and enjoy the scene. Because it is a scene. But don’t compete with all those other morons to buy it. Watch BAT until someone is selling their dead Dad’s pride and joy from the other side of the country and just want rid of it. Buy THAT car.

Those auctions are for people with too much money, and not enough common sense. 

Those auctions are for people with too much money, and not enough common sense. 

Damn straight. But it was well worth $25 to go in and check out all the cars. Last time I went there was a fellow selling one of every Impala from 58-68. Everyone black with a turquoise interior. Very cool.
  • Like 1

Not all Mecums are over the top, it really depends on which show you go to.  Dallas, Kissimmee, Monterrey are not shows to go to with a small budget.  Unless you find a daily driver and buy early, like 1st day.  Iowa, Denver, Kansas City seem to keep the prices within reason in my book.  If you really wanna see some cash go down go to a Barrett Jackson, Worldwide or Leake auction.  I'm surprised they don't charge to breathe the air.

On a unrelated side note, I took out my LS swapped CJ7 today for it's first test run today.  So far all is good.

Edited by Bevo&Pevo
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, JSB said:

Fuck I want to contribute to this thread. I've got my eyes out for a decent price on a restored convertible V-8 with a stick and 4 seats. I lean Mustang, but can be talked into something else. I plan on going to Mecum in September in Dallas Corona willing, and have been looking through online ads. If anyone sees something, let me know. 

I saw a nice 68 Firebird 400 Convertible on Craigslist the other day.

Here: https://austin.craigslist.org/cto/d/georgetown-68-firebird-400-convertible/7148640166.html

Edit:  I think I've seen this car at cruise ins before.  If that is the same one it is very nice.

Edited by TexasEd

3 minutes ago, TexasEd said:

I saw a nice 68 Firebird 400 Convertible on Craigslist the other day.

Here: https://austin.craigslist.org/cto/d/georgetown-68-firebird-400-convertible/7148640166.html

Automatic, do not want. I have 3 deal breakers, 1) manual transmission because I love it, and it won't be long before they are all gone, 2) Convertible, because I love it, no better feeling on a nice day, and 3) 4 seats, because I want to be able to take the family with me even if they bitch about their hair getting fucked up. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JSB said:

Automatic, do not want. I have 3 deal breakers, 1) manual transmission because I love it, and it won't be long before they are all gone, 2) Convertible, because I love it, no better feeling on a nice day, and 3) 4 seats, because I want to be able to take the family with me even if they bitch about their hair getting fucked up. 

Those are all good positions to stand by.  When I was Corvette shopping I was insistent on a manual also.  We were over at some friends of ours for dinner and talking about cars and stuff and I was explaining what I wanted and why.  So I say, yeah I want a manual for burnouts and maybe an occasional doughnut and going to tailgates...blah blah. The Mrs breaks in and stays we should get a auto.  Say what! whose car is this?  She counters with did you hear yourself say tailgate?  Me...hmm....yeah maybe your right you'll probably be driving us after the game.  I wound up with an auto.  It has the paddle shifters of course, so I still can sorta run through the gears.

2 hours ago, Bevo&Pevo said:

Those are all good positions to stand by.  When I was Corvette shopping I was insistent on a manual also.  We were over at some friends of ours for dinner and talking about cars and stuff and I was explaining what I wanted and why.  So I say, yeah I want a manual for burnouts and maybe an occasional doughnut and going to tailgates...blah blah. The Mrs breaks in and stays we should get a auto.  Say what! whose car is this?  She counters with did you hear yourself say tailgate?  Me...hmm....yeah maybe your right you'll probably be driving us after the game.  I wound up with an auto.  It has the paddle shifters of course, so I still can sorta run through the gears.

I'm not drinking anymore, and my wife will not be driving whatever car I end up with. Its nostalgic because they probably won't ever use it, but I want to teach my kids to drive a stick. I also owned a 2002 BMW Z3M before kids. I loved that car, and wouldn't mind reuniting with that one, but then, only 2 seats. I really really wish I would have just kept that car, and paid for a place to park it. I didn't have room at the time, but I do now. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

This Riviera is a 1968. It was bought by my grandfather and when I was in high school he gave it to me. It has the 430. If I remember correctly the 455 did not hit the Riviera until 1970. I know I am biased but I think the Riviera is a better-looking car than the Olds. I never liked the dumpy rear on the Toronado.

My grandfather(now my uncle has) had a 64.  It has a "Wildcat 445" which as a interested observer I always took to mean the Cubic Inches but based on googling this morning is the ft. pounds of torque produced and is actually 401cu in.

The standard engine fitted to the earlier Rivieras was the 401 cu. in. 325 hp engine that produced 445 lb ft of torque called the “Wildcat 445” V8

12 hours ago, JSB said:

My deal breakers were mid 60's Mustang, manual, V8, and convertible.   I swapped out the 4 speed for a 5 speed for more highway enjoyment.  Hate hearing the 4th gear whine @ 75 MPH.

Manual wasn't a deal breaker for me on a convertible as I like just cruising that thing.  It's a 4v 289 so I'm not going to be blowing the doors off anything any time soon. If I got a fastback it would be hard for me to have an automatic in it.

1 hour ago, Incredulity said:

My grandfather(now my uncle has) had a 64.  It has a "Wildcat 445" which as a interested observer I always took to mean the Cubic Inches but based on googling this morning is the ft. pounds of torque produced and is actually 401cu in.

The standard engine fitted to the earlier Rivieras was the 401 cu. in. 325 hp engine that produced 445 lb ft of torque called the “Wildcat 445” V8

I think the 1963, especially the '63, through 1965 Rivieras should be on any list of best looking American designs. The '63 is a gorgeous and almost perfectly proportioned car. If I had extra garage space I would certainly attempt to get a bitchin' '63 Riviera.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

I think the 1963, especially the '63, through 1965 Rivieras should be on any list of best looking American designs. The '63 is a gorgeous and almost perfectly proportioned car. If I had extra garage space I would certainly attempt to get a bitchin' '63 Riviera.

totally agree.  Its a fucking awesome looking car.

3 hours ago, JSB said:

I'm not drinking anymore, and my wife will not be driving whatever car I end up with. Its nostalgic because they probably won't ever use it, but I want to teach my kids to drive a stick. I also owned a 2002 BMW Z3M before kids. I loved that car, and wouldn't mind reuniting with that one, but then, only 2 seats. I really really wish I would have just kept that car, and paid for a place to park it. I didn't have room at the time, but I do now. 

Brother from another mother.  I have a manual 97 M3 in storage.  I've kept it partially because I want to teach my kids to drive stick.  I have a somewhat irrational thought that they might need the skill to get out of a dicey situation when the only option is a stick.  

When I was searching for my Mach 1 I also wanted manual, but after a year or so of looking I softened on that position, and the thought of cruising around in an auto started to grow on me.  Finally found one that was numbers matching and in decent shape - also auto.  Said fuck it and pulled the trigger.  Having the M3 in the stable to feel some manual torque when I wanted helped the decision.

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

Manual wasn't a deal breaker for me on a convertible as I like just cruising that thing.  It's a 4v 289 so I'm not going to be blowing the doors off anything any time soon. If I got a fastback it would be hard for me to have an automatic in it.

I agree, but it's really hard to find a manual fastback that A) hasn't already been restored and ridiculously expensive, or B) unrestored, rusted, and ridiculously expensive.

Edited by Mach 1
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, JSB said:

Well fuck decision time. Seller would take $32K. Thoughts?

https://www.gatewayclassiccars.com/FTL/1029/1968-Pontiac-GTO#desc

I would highly recommend you keep your powder dry for a few weeks/months and do a lot of looking on BAT, Barn Finds, Ebay and Craigslist.  Get a good sense of what's out there, price vs. shape, etc.  Then you can narrow your search to a few favorite rides and be knowledgable on what is/isn't a good deal.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mach 1 said:

I would highly recommend you keep your powder dry for a few weeks/months and do a lot of looking on BAT, Barn Finds, Ebay and Craigslist.  Get a good sense of what's out there, price vs. shape, etc.  Then you can narrow your search to a few favorite rides and be knowledgable on what is/isn't a good deal.

Yeah, I think I am going to pass. If COVID allows, I plan on going to the Dallas Mecum acution in September. The last one I went to, a 68 mustang shelby inspired convertible sold for $12,500, and I still wish I would have bought that, despite the ridiculous interior. 

28 minutes ago, Mach 1 said:

I agree, but it's really hard to find a manual fastback that A) hasn't already been restored and ridiculously expensive, or B) unrestored, rusted, and ridiculously expensive.

Or worse, turned into an Eleanor clone. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

Damn straight. But it was well worth $25 to go in and check out all the cars. Last time I went there was a fellow selling one of every Impala from 58-68. Everyone black with a turquoise interior. Very cool.

It was in Austin a few years ago and very cool to walk around at

I hope everyone here installs 3 point seat belts (front and rear) the day they buy their classic car.  That is one of the single best safety upgrades IMO, and it's pretty cheap, and easy to install.

I'd also say any cars with single bowl master cylinders (66, and older usually) should be replaced with dual bowls ASAP. Lastly, seats with headrests are a really nice safety upgrade, but can be steep if there aren't good aftermarket headrest kits. The mustangs seem to suck so I opted for a whole new set of at front buckets a couple years ago.  They're much more comfortable as well.

Beyond that you start getting into front discs, LED head, and tail lights, after market collapsible steering columns (again expensive).  

Unknown-1.jpeg

11 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

All Rivieras up to 1973 are in a class of their own.