Classic Car thread

TexasEd

Not sure if this counts as a classic, but I bought this all original ‘88 K5 a few weeks ago.  My plan is to do a complete restore to make it look like the day it rolled off the factory line, to include the original paint color.  Parts are cheap and this thing is pretty easy to work on.

17BAEE65-7BB7-4302-88FA-3230586404D8.jpeg

F9B8BBE3-CBBE-4D65-9E41-58ACD584F4AB.jpeg

06015100-E88E-445A-9465-B2579F538557.jpeg

2F3CA352-CE9A-4F50-95AD-486163F0B8B1.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

Any updates on this?  I winced when I first read this.  Having that occur to a rebuilt ( I assume) motor is ... less than ideal.
Hope you figured it out.
Haven't touched it since. Work has been really busy. I'll pull the rocker stands off and see in the coming weeks.

I've got a big order ready to place on yearone.com just waiting for a promo code.

My first vehicle was a white ‘79 K5 with a built 400 and 35’s. I stayed either in trouble or in the shop through high school with it. It would fly but I was constantly busting u-joints and rear ends. My dad had a matching black ‘85.

49 minutes ago, Brew said:

My first vehicle was a white ‘79 K5 with a built 400 and 35’s. I stayed either in trouble or in the shop through high school with it. It would fly but I was constantly busting u-joints and rear ends. My dad had a matching black ‘85.

Ladder bars.  Did anyone introduce you to ladder bars?

Nope, and to make matters worse the rear lift was blocks. It had way too much power for the drivetrain setup. My typical month was 1-2 weeks of driving it and 2-3 weeks of reducing my drinking to pay for parts. Luckily rear ends and axles were a dime a dozen in junk yards. My spare vehicle was an ‘85 Pontiac 6000 wagon in baby blue with wood grain. It wasn’t near as proficient in the mud, but it tried hard.

Not sure if this counts as a classic, but I bought this all original ‘88 K5 a few weeks ago.  My plan is to do a complete restore to make it look like the day it rolled off the factory line, to include the original paint color.  Parts are cheap and this thing is pretty easy to work on.
17BAEE65-7BB7-4302-88FA-3230586404D8.thumb.jpeg.2aa3e9a526bc1a82572b2435ee2647c8.jpeg
F9B8BBE3-CBBE-4D65-9E41-58ACD584F4AB.thumb.jpeg.3da16a2219ea9945fe7d66666384ca23.jpeg
06015100-E88E-445A-9465-B2579F538557.thumb.jpeg.f32e3976d7c3150a4ea90e424fe3fd5f.jpeg
2F3CA352-CE9A-4F50-95AD-486163F0B8B1.thumb.jpeg.ebc9d0fcb81ea6c8ba0c90d4f4001aa8.jpeg

Dad had that same Cobra CB in our 77 Chevy conversion van. Fuck yeah!

42 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Pretty town VMI, W&L university, mountains.

I'm in Richmond

I have a friend (connection through my Dad) is from Lex; his son (obv. also from Lex) is po-leece with Richmond.  Here's a pic he posted the other day 5 minutes before taking a 3 day weekend.  You might know the area, I don't.

110149548_10216493535722036_5076852247281801581_o.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_sid=84a396&_nc_ohc=h9WkJVnC380AX9w5rOE&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-2.xx&oh=b84b94c0d1de4fb0f19a721fc060900e&oe=5F44F33A

6 hours ago, Assman said:

F9B8BBE3-CBBE-4D65-9E41-58ACD584F4AB.jpeg

CB Bonus for the win

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Brew said:

I had a ‘78 with the same set up. The lift and tires were hard on the drive train. That thing would go anywhere when it was running.

Check out what my BIL rolled up in Saturday.

1595857887808.thumb.jpg.c2292bbb847576456dd35189d9cf987d.jpg

Only about 300 miles on a complete restoration. There are some non-original additions like Power Steering, power brakes and a/c. It was stored in a barn and the old man that owned it had over a dozen other classics ranging from Model- T to 1970's. BIL wouldn't tell me what he paid, but he did tell me the old man's son was mad as hell.

1595857905034.jpg

1595857897068.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, ROFL BOX said:

I have a friend (connection through my Dad) is from Lex; his son (obv. also from Lex) is po-leece with Richmond.  Here's a pic he posted the other day 5 minutes before taking a 3 day weekend.  You might know the area, I don't.

110149548_10216493535722036_5076852247281801581_o.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_sid=84a396&_nc_ohc=h9WkJVnC380AX9w5rOE&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-2.xx&oh=b84b94c0d1de4fb0f19a721fc060900e&oe=5F44F33A

My house, and pot of gold is right under the end of that rainbow ....... of course...  Can't make out the street sign, our I'd probably know exactly where it is.

I had a ‘78 with the same set up. The lift and tires were hard on the drive train. That thing would go anywhere when it was running.

Had a friend in HS who had one about this vintage. It has two tabs on the ignition. You could turn those tabs as if you had a key in, and it would light right up sans key. All my buddies used to take turns stealing it and leaving campus for lunch even though we didn’t have an open campus. His grandad was county commissioner, so everyone knew his grandsons truck. So everyone thought he was skipping class, driving around town. In any given day, he never knew if he’d walk out and his truck would still be there. Car theft. Good times.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BillyGoatHill said:

Dodger got in on an Instagram photo shoot yesterday....5ec3cc0ede15d94a0f08e8b49a2afb78.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used to own a C-10 just like that one, but without the fancy paint job and seat cover (not talking upholstery).

7 hours ago, BillyGoatHill said:

Dodger got in on an Instagram photo shoot yesterday....5ec3cc0ede15d94a0f08e8b49a2afb78.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My first vehicle was a ‘65 Stepside with a 283 and manual 3 speed.  Enjoyed the hell out of that old truck and learned a lot about wrenching on it.  I had 2 good buddies with 64-67s and every weekend someone was working on his and we’d help out.

• 2 weeks later...
Haven't touched it since. Work has been really busy. I'll pull the rocker stands off and see in the coming weeks.  

I've got a big order ready to place on yearone.com just waiting for a promo code.

Pulled the rockers arms, shafts, and hold downs off to look into my oiling problem. After looking there was oil coming through the #4 stand (2nd pick) which oils the driver's side via the #4 cam bearing journal. That tells me cam bearing is installed correctly.  

Now I pulled the rocker arms down the shaft and there was oil underneath the arm (see the last pic) Another good sign of oiling. Now that I know it oils just need to install everything and reprime it until I get the cam journal hole lines up w/crossover hole (see 1st pic)

You can see how its oils in the first pic and how the holes have to line up. Second pic #5&7 cylinders look wet, positive oiling. The driver's side is oiled via #4 rocker stand which you can see has oil in the hole.

Unlike most cars hemi's oil through the rocker shafts not pushrods so the oiling system is unique...PIA.

Ps OU sux! ab9f40a180d0fb67a8cbdd988e40a323.jpga70bbe248de4cd34bd45882270f702b0.jpgfc7265775e295468bd6cbae89a123a31.jpgfdfd7514b8ca9c505f95fe6eede24731.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

^^^

Buick’s big-dog engine was essentially unchanged since 1971, but the Gran Sport Stage 1 did get slower in 1973 because the cars got heavier. Some say they also got uglier, but we disagree.

Oh, they got uglier.  I'm guessing you'd call that a "space-age" look?  The late 60's early 70's models of just about anything were some of the best looking vehicles....ever.  Hard to keep that going I would assume, and dogging the shit out of those engines didn't help.  It was a very depressing time in the auto industry and in the US period.  

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Any US car past the very early 70's is pretty much a non starter for me. They just got big, ugly, and bad.

Classic story of a technology-driven industry that got overrun by MBAs and accountants, right when fuel economy/prices and emission controls were posing probably the biggest technology issues the industry had ever faced.

Robert McNamara was a scourge in so many ways.  Still kind of admire the dude.

2 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Classic story of a technology-driven industry that got overrun by MBAs and accountants, right when fuel economy/prices and emission controls were posing probably the biggest technology issues the industry had ever faced.

Robert McNamara was a scourge in so many ways.  Still kind of admire the dude.

Well the energy crisis was the last nail in the coffin contributor, but car designs had gotten really bad by the early 70's.   The 70's were generally a horrible era for design on many fronts.

21 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

The 70's were generally a horrible era for design on many fronts.

Gagreed.  I was thinking more in terms of technological design than aesthetic.

That article talks about how the roof pillars were structurally enhanced (and bigger and uglier) because of regulation responding to rollover crashes.  I was unaware of that. My (parents') 69 Delta 88, and a couple of other cars we had in that time frame, had no B pillars, just rubber "joints" between the front and rear side windows.  I haven't seen that design feature before or since.

17 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

That article talks about how the roof pillars were structurally enhanced (and bigger and uglier) because of regulation responding to rollover crashes.  I was unaware of that. My (parents') 69 Delta 88, and a couple of other cars we had in that time frame, had no B pillars, just rubber "joints" between the front and rear side windows.  I haven't seen that design feature before or since.

Yes, automotive safety standards were changing as well, and design aesthetics took a whole to catch up. They were fat, and lazy from the success of the 60's as well, and then along came Honda.............

The other thing that as an ME I kind of hate to admit is that electronic engine control technology is what enabled cars to overcome the problems posed by emissions and fuel economy.

The Japanese cars of the era, while reliable, were dinky as hell and tiny engines and flimsy construction were not the ultimate answer.  At least from the enthusiast's perspective.

Edited by TwiceHorn

4 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

parents had that on Ford Galaxy500.  Absolutely horrible design or assembly. The two windows never sealed and constantly has 1/4 in gap even after the dealr tried to fix them. Lots of fun at a carwash - get both inside and outside at same time

Edited by AUinHsv
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, AUinHsv said:

parents had that on Ford Galaxy500.  Absolutely horrible design or assembly. The two windows never sealed and constantly has 1/4 in gap even after the dealr tried to fix them. Lots of fun at a carwash - get both inside and outside at same time

Ours actually sealed pretty well. It was actually kind of cool with all the windows rolled down.