Classic Car thread

TexasEd

Just now, Buzzrock said:

Focus on the color if you want, but that thing was tight. All new interior, roll cage, carbon fiber dash, plastic race windows. Not sure what the grill on the front is all about since the motor is out back.

Well, that's a bit like saying don't worry about the fact the chick is ugly, it's what's inside that counts...

Speaking of roll cages, from time to time I think about a 68 KR style roll bar in my 65.

2 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Along with a balding, paunchy, short guy... in that color at least.  Porches should be red, black, silver. Just my opinion of course

It’s my opinion that silver, black, and white (in that order) are the most "traditional" Porsche colors and don't really care for red on a Porsche. Leave red for the Italians... 

That being said, the rarer colors are far more attractive to me. In no particular order, and depending on the model/version, all of following (and 85% of the rest of the stock and PTS colors) kick the shit out of S/B/W/R in my view:

Porsche-987-Boxster-Macadamia-Metallic.jpg

IMG_4217.jpg

Porsche-911-Cassis-Red-Matt-Farah.jpg

446970.jpg

447370.jpg

446967.jpg

FullSizeRender-960x0-0.5x0.jpg

3 hours ago, Assman said:

K5 update...

Like I mentioned earlier, the previous owner rewired the entire truck it seems. Whenever a gauge would stop working, he'd just install a stand alone gauge separately. So what I've done is ripped out his extra aftermarket gauges, and got the OEM oil pressure gauge working again thanks to a new sender, and at the same time, replaced the entire cluster with a cluster from a '79 with a factory tachometer. The factory tach was an option from 77-81 and they are extremely hard to find. This allowed me to rip out the aftermarket tach. It took a little modification to work, but it wasn't too bad.

The previous owner also wired up a toggle switch for the wipers because the wiper switch in the column was worn out. So I disassembled the column to change that out, and at the same time replaced the stalk, upper steering wheel bearings, and retorqued the tilt screws. This was probably one of the most labor intensive projects I've ever done and hope I never have to do it again.

Finally, once all that bullshit was done, I installed 4 new speakers, a new head unit, and a new dash pad to tie it all together. It's coming along...slowly.

12499c231ab46ddf72dfa1bd1af7cdc0.jpge9760202751cdcc6134b56fc87bcc550.jpgb97ac8fb8677a1d7adce69c9f4d24dd3.jpg18203fe9dc94450a44f7dea4d6a524ee.jpgb45cd9a50dfd0ebf2229ba06f57ac123.jpg3ec6416a38f0150ba999efe2c4a55cfb.jpgdddb67d481b038bca26ff871895fbc81.jpg4cc73c6d7dad9b1efabc95f9072239df.jpg33e9a0fd820773ff41b9f9008df2e6ff.jpg

Man, I’m jealous. My K5 is still my favorite vehicle I owned.

Check out this fucking engine.

IMG_6178.jpg.26eeef0cc77761d3bb3666c8cd2b1750.jpgIMG_6176.jpg.b7a69cef0f1cac8c6b238a55959d1a52.jpg

Let's place it in the car, shall we?

IMG_6211.jpg.612a81a1935ec2c247bf2acf437698c7.jpg

ABORT ABORT ABORT

My engine mount caught a corner and tore in half.  Engine still hanging in the air until the replacement arrives. OK China, what else do you have for us in 2020 besides a pandemic and shitty auto parts?

IMG_6215.thumb.jpg.9997c1d95e7563abfbd4d537f055fc01.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Mach 1 said:

IMG_6178.jpg.26eeef0cc77761d3bb3666c8cd2b1750.jpgIMG_6176.jpg.b7a69cef0f1cac8c6b238a55959d1a52.jpg

ABORT ABORT ABORT

My engine mount caught a corner and tore in half.  Engine still hanging in the air until the replacement arrives. OK China, what else do you have for us in 2020 besides a pandemic and shitty auto parts?

Them headers purty. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Them headers purty. 

Danke.  FPA long tubes, made to order specifically for your engine.  I've read a bunch of stories about mid level headers not fitting, hitting the steering slave, etc so I went with these guys.  They even stamp your name on the header for personalized service.

• Like 2

On 9/9/2020 at 6:40 PM, Mach 1 said:

Danke.  FPA long tubes, made to order specifically for your engine.  I've read a bunch of stories about mid level headers not fitting, hitting the steering slave, etc so I went with these guys.  They even stamp your name on the header for personalized service.

Not a fan of headers.  Had a couple sets on different cars  I eventually removed them. They always mess with steering boxes, mods need to be made to steering linkages hoses, leaks keep developing at the block to header connection, and those are the ones that were supposed to be perfect fit bolt on units.

I've read so many stories on forums about issues with headers beyond just fitment issues, they just don't seem worth the trouble.  Hopefully yours with the custom fit avoid  those fitment issues.

I went with stock Shelby exhaust manifolds, and have been more than happy with the results as they're factory designed. OEM fits.  The only mod I needed to make was shave the edge of a single engine mount. Had 'em jet coated, and they've stayed a beautiful shade of grey for 5 years now, little to no discoloration.

Are your headers coming with a factory ceramic coating  ?  It's worth the extra cost to keep 'em purty.

Not a fan of headers.  Had a couple sets on different cars  I eventually removed them. They always mess with steering boxes, mods need to be made to steering linkages hoses, leaks keep developing at the block to header connection, and those are the ones that were supposed to be perfect fit bolt on units.

I put headers on my 350 Vortec when we pulled it for a rebuild due to a head crack (overheating, wasn't a simple gasket blowout, unfortunately) (.30 over)

My only headache was a small crack that formed @ the collector. Had that attempted ro fill but it didn't take. Didn't matter, the entire system sounded badass & had much more resonance than a simple cheap-ass muffler swap.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I've read so many stories on forums about issues with headers beyond just fitment issues, they just don't seem worth the trouble.  Hopefully yours with the custom fit avoid  those fitment issues.

Are your headers coming with a factory ceramic coating  ?  It's worth the extra cost to keep 'em purty.

Yeah I had them coated.  I Googled the address for FPA Headers and it looks like some farm house in Washington, so I wouldn't say factory.  Not sure what that dude has going on in the barn, but he's put together quite a following in the Mustang world. 

Agreed on the horror story fit issues, so I splurged to avoid any headaches. I wanted to install the engine with the headers on, but it would be impossible to get the motor mount bolt in, so they will have to wait. Probably would have scratched and dented them anyway.  Fingers crossed no issues.  I did some measuring and I think I'll be fine, they really do hug the block and meander away from the steering/starter, etc.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mach 1 said:

Yeah I had them coated.  I Googled the address for FPA Headers and it looks like some farm house in Washington, so I wouldn't say factory.  Not sure what that dude has going on in the barn, but he's put together quite a following in the Mustang world. 

Agreed on the horror story fit issues, so I splurged to avoid any headaches. I wanted to install the engine with the headers on, but it would be impossible to get the motor mount bolt in, so they will have to wait. Probably would have scratched and dented them anyway.  Fingers crossed no issues.  I did some measuring and I think I'll be fine, they really do hug the block and meander away from the steering/starter, etc.

You mounting them straight to the block or using gaskets ?  I've read quite a few posts on the allfordmustangs forum from guys who don't use the gaskets, and say they see fewer leak issues. I didn't use them on my exhaust manifolds, and haven't seen a leak yet. 

2 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

You mounting them straight to the block or using gaskets ?  I've read quite a few posts on the allfordmustangs forum from guys who don't use the gaskets, and say they see fewer leak issues. I didn't use them on my exhaust manifolds, and haven't seen a leak yet. 

FPA sent them with their own gaskets and bolts, so I'm using them.  I know you're not supposed to use gasket and sealer, but I'm going to use just a little to stick the gasket on the header before installation. I've found it nearly impossible to install without, the gasket keeps slipping and I can't get the bolts on at that ridiculous angle - and that was on the test stand.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/8/2020 at 6:00 PM, Mach 1 said:

ABORT ABORT ABORT

Jealous

51 minutes ago, Bevo&Pevo said:

Cool idea to have a show at a retirement home.

I sat by my car and had a lot of them come by and ask me questions.  Got a lecture on red cars getting more speeding tickets and to lighten up my foot.  I had my hood up for a while then one woman said I don't know anything about engines I just like looking at the lines so I closed my hood again.

Most of those that came out were in their 70s (My parents ages) I guess but a couple in their 80s.  

It was fun and I would go back.  

Edited by TexasEd