Classic Car thread

TexasEd

On 9/27/2020 at 4:09 PM, TexasEd said:

Got all the old out today 

6F51C9C4-B329-4878-871F-EC1F7436B69C.jpeg

F698B5F8-B8D0-4650-B2FA-31A2C52FEDD9.jpeg

64AAA848-9066-4211-91DC-E1CDDEF2FBEA.jpeg

I'm installing mine right now also.  Did you up it to 24 inches?  I stayed at 20 with a new 3 row rad - fingers crossed.

Did you source that six blade clutch fan recently?  I'm in the market for the same thing and can't find it anywhere, completely out of stock everywhere and supposedly not being restocked until November at the earliest.  So I'm going with a non clutch fan in the meantime.

What a/c unit are you going with?  I went with Classic Auto, just installed my compressor.  Looks like you already have a bracket installed?

IMG_6241.thumb.jpg.830b43f5e8a9664e2b360175d0c333fb.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, Mach 1 said:

I'm installing mine right now also.  Did you up it to 24 inches?  I stayed at 20 with a new 3 row rad - fingers crossed.

Did you source that six blade clutch fan recently?  I'm in the market for the same thing and can't find it anywhere, completely out of stock everywhere and supposedly not being restocked until November at the earliest.  So I'm going with a non clutch fan in the meantime.

What a/c unit are you going with?  I went with Classic Auto, just installed my compressor.  Looks like you already have a bracket installed?

IMG_6241.thumb.jpg.830b43f5e8a9664e2b360175d0c333fb.jpg

Yes 24. I have a fixed blade fan I’m not using that could save you time and money. I got my clutch fan assembly from West Coast Classic Cougars. 

type more later

27 minutes ago, TexasEd said:

Yes 24. I have a fixed blade fan I’m not using that could save you time and money. I got my clutch fan assembly from West Coast Classic Cougars. 

type more later

Thanks for the offer - I have a fixed fan and a clutch, very ass backward.  I'll check WCCC I've bought stuff from them in the past.  

[mention=938]Mother mopar[/mention]  this is likely relevant to your interests.
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1969-426-hemi-engine/

That is actually $5-10K cheaper than I would expect for a 69 rebuilt hemi. Nice stuff no doubt. For reference there is a 69 hemi warranty block (no VIN on oil pan rail) that is at $30K on Ebay and it needs to be rebuilt.

Nice cool Florida evening so me and the dog put in some work on the trans. Rebuilt mainshaft, new synchronizing rings, roller bearing and pressed in the main bearing. Also added new sleeve in the tail housing, still.need to press in the oil seal.

I'll mess with the counter shaft and associated bearings tomrrow after the game. 4b614ac0548d5462c3fb8253b44c2865.jpg4b1d7d3a585b8a76ac6c8c8f8201169b.jpg9565d5fbc6cbe1cb9b21a55615cc17c6.jpg18528dfdfa95331cfaea8d2e2423a6c0.jpgecf665e424c4f002a51f35df587e16fd.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

And I would kill all of you for that 67 vette with the redlines, green on tan. My wife liked it too and I suggested maybe I start looking around and when I told it what it would run she basically threatened to divorce me. 

Make sure you get it after it’s final. She would try to take it.

Carlisle, Pa. Fall car show yesterday. These were some of my favorite vehicles mixed in with all the requisite Vettes, Mustangs , Cudas, GTO's, camaros, Bel airs, etc.

Especially liked the jacked iup Ranchero, and two tone IH pick up.

Picked up the cool bowling clock as well,  it's about 6' tall.

IMG_9046.JPG

IMG_9053.JPG

IMG_9054.JPG

IMG_9055.JPG

IMG_9058.JPG

IMG_9059.JPG

IMG_9048.JPG

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Incredulity said:

Its a crime to park that next to the cart return.

The pudgy white guy with a beard and a closet full of Hawaiian shirts who has lovingly cared for that car over the last 30-40 years died of COVID a month or two ago, and his shitty offspring decided to "see what all the fuss was about" by driving it to Wal-Mart on a supply run while getting dad's house ready to go on the market. 

• Like 1

So do you have one of the factory radios already in place and will replace that with the refurb updated cat daddy new unit?  Curious what that will run, my son has a 65 stang with original equipment. Might need to do this exact upgrade.

4 minutes ago, RMac5 said:

So do you have one of the factory radios already in place and will replace that with the refurb updated cat daddy new unit?  Curious what that will run, my son has a 65 stang with original equipment. Might need to do this exact upgrade.

So, previous owner installed a cd head unit in the trunk.  It also has a dead mustang aftermarket radio occupying the standard position. I am going to pull out the trunk mounted radio and the old head unit in the dash, and this will drop right in.  I haven't pulled the console to see what kinda of wiring clusterfuck I am looking at, but that will be the only potential problem I foresee.

The non-functioning core ran me about $450.  You can shit him the original and he will do the rebuild/update on your core. Pricing on the conversion is expensive (all in about 2-3x what a similar aftermarket would run), but I justified it to myself by spending for the original appearance head unit (my car is am/fm stereo spec'd from factory, which is apparently a somewhat rare option, cost more than the GT option originally). 

pricing for conversion, I did the full conversion, no HD. 

The basic conversion AM/FM stereo/Aux input four channels 45 watts per channel, warranty, polishing and cleaning, runs 435.00 + shipping it back to you.

Add the USB port to the basic conversion for 145.00 more, comes with the cables, 8GB thumb drive and will charge your phones.

Add the Blue-Tooth with Voice Command to the basic conversion for 165.00 more, comes with builtin mic.

The best deal is the full conversion AM/FM stereo/Aux input/USB port/Blue-Tooth with Voice Command/Scan/Voice ID four channels 45 watts per channel, warranty, polishing and cleaning, runs 635.00 + shipping it back to you.

Add the HD radio to any conversion for 95.00 more.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Anastasis said:

I haven't pulled the console to see what kinda of wiring clusterfuck I am looking at, but that will be the only potential problem I foresee.

Ha ha ha... srsly... ha ha ha

You can shit him the original and he will do the rebuild/update on your core.

SoThat'sHowItIsInYourFamily.jpg

Is that new paint or vinyl wrap? Nice looking truck.

It’s new paint, after debate over a few colors and/or wrap, i settled on Anvil. It’s a jeep color I’ve always loved. She just got tint and new headliner, sitting pretty.

1c5a205624003aca52f138b7c6ecdbaf.jpg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, Bo said:

It’s new paint, after debate over a few colors and/or wrap, i settled on Anvil. It’s a jeep color I’ve always loved. She just got tint and new headliner, sitting pretty.

I like these new base color looking vehicles.  No metal flake, sparkle, or deep finish.  Kinda retro.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Bo said:

Looks great.  I think it's the tires, as you said, but those are killing me.

I seem to recall that stock/OEM wheel having holes in it?

How's the interior looking?

23 hours ago, Anastasis said:

I haven't pulled the console to see what kinda of wiring clusterfuck I am looking at, but that will be the only potential problem I foresee

Don't fret, not too bad.  Some climate control wiring, flashers on either side.  Post pics when you install, I'm a month or so behind you.

IMG_3545-2.JPG.573bad84d816dedfaa6b780adb118c2f.JPG

Also I have a brand new climate control assembly/face plate I won't be using.  Anyone need one PM and it's yours.

• Hook 'Em 1

Love it it! Great work all around bud. A fan shroud makes a world of difference and will increase the cars cooling effectiveness immensely. That may all you need depending on the level of power that 383 is making. Worst case scenario add a pusher fan on the front and your cooling issues will be solved.

What is your overall timing on the engine set at 32, 34 degrees? If the engine is working harder to over come "bad" timing it will overheat.

I've seen quiet a few big block mopars with 22" radiators cool just fine....some came from the factory like that. Would hate for you to think it is a radiator problem when it may be sometime else (backwards fans blade) etc.

8 hours ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

Cuda update!

I finally got it back after about 7 months in the shop.  COVID slowed stuff down, especially we had to wait on some parts longer than expected.  Full list of what we did:

• Pulled the engine (383) out and sent it up to WCH Racing Engines in Midlothian for a full rebuild: bored, new pistons, rings, valve and springs, gaskets, cam - everything.  They crated it and sent it back basically a fresh engine.
  • While the engine was out, repainted the engine bay to match the body color - also did some minor metal work around the firewall where there was some corrosion
  • Replaced the stock torsion bars w/ Hotchkis bars appropriate for the big block
  • Replaced the brake lines with new stainless lines
  • Replaced the master cylinder
  • Pulled the steering box and sent it to FirmFeel for a rebuild, with tighter gearing
  • Replaced the idler and pitman arm with a fast ratio arm - much tighter steering!  Took a full revolution out of the wheel from lock to lock
  • Added a FiTech TBFI system
  • 2 new fuel pumps (one high pressure to feed the FiTech, one lower pressure to grab from the tank)
  • New air cleaner
  • New horn with infinite surface area but finite volume 
  • Added a VintageAir A/C system
  • Relocated the battery to the truck and installed a bypass switch for both security and if it's going to sit for any period of time
  • New MSD distributor
  • New high displacement water pump
  • New Hedman headers, required to fit the fast ratio pitman arm
  • Shaved the lip in the rear quarters where it risks cutting the tires since I have really wide tires on this thing
  • Installed the MSD box to get it to talk to the factory tach, which we later found out doesn't work and needs to be replaced
  • Probably other stuff I'm forgetting

IMG-3044.jpg

IMG-3045.jpg

IMG-3046.jpg

IMG-3048.jpg

IMG-3049.jpg

I'm pretty happy with how it turned out!  However, we've now discovered that the cooling system can't handle the heat load.  The prior own had a 22" crossflow radiator.  My 1970 Cuda shop manual suggests that a 383 w/ a 727 trans and A/C comes with a 26" radiator.  It's been a little scary - it cools find as-is when I'm going down the highway, holds between 190-205.  But when I'm at a light, it shoots up - FAST.  I was going to QT to get some gas the other day and it went up over 250, not good.  When it gets that hot, the starter doesn't want to turn over on restarts b/c it's also overheated.  So, I have a 26" Griffin radiator on order from Summit, plus a fan shroud, and we're also going to wrap the headers, and put in a hood to radiator and hood to cowl seal.  Hopefully that will solve the heat issue!

Fify 

• Haha 1