Classic Car thread

TexasEd

On 10/17/2020 at 2:11 PM, Mother mopar said:

Love it it! Great work all around bud. A fan shroud makes a world of difference and will increase the cars cooling effectiveness immensely. That may all you need depending on the level of power that 383 is making. Worst case scenario add a pusher fan on the front and your cooling issues will be solved.

What is your overall timing on the engine set at 32, 34 degrees? If the engine is working harder to over come "bad" timing it will overheat.

I've seen quiet a few big block mopars with 22" radiators cool just fine....some came from the factory like that. Would hate for you to think it is a radiator problem when it may be sometime else (backwards fans blade) etc.

When they had the engine out they did the engine dyno and it was peak 354 HP @ 4800 RPM and peak 402 ft-lbs @ 4500 RPM.  Haven't put the whole car on yet to see how it does.

We'll see on the shroud - I ended up pulling the rad for the bigger one b/c the shop couldn't find a pre-mad shroud for the existing aftermarket radiator, they were going to have to fabricate one, and the expense of the custom shroud vs. the new factory-fit radiator and stock shroud were close, so why not.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

When they had the engine out they did the engine dyno and it was peak 354 HP @ 4800 RPM and peak 402 ft-lbs @ 4500 RPM.  Haven't put the whole car on yet to see how it does.

We'll see on the shroud - I ended up pulling the rad for the bigger one b/c the shop couldn't find a pre-mad shroud for the existing aftermarket radiator, they were going to have to fabricate one, and the expense of the custom shroud vs. the new factory-fit radiator and stock shroud were close, so why not.

Unusually torquey, it seems.  Is that characteristic of wedgeheads or the 383 in particular? 

10 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

That's kinda unusual for Mustangs. Usually radiators swap right out pretty cleanly.  Stock ?  aluminum ?

The water pump mounted clutch fan hits the bottom of the shroud. I need to raise the front of the engine 1/2” or possibly remove the radiator saddles my guess is that the old motor mounts need to be replaced. 

EDIT: Forgot to add that it is a stock style replacement.

Edited by TexasEd

Unusually torquey, it seems.  Is that characteristic of wedgeheads or the 383 in particular? 
Stock 383s were around 335 HP and around 420ish on torque if I recall....depening on the year. Mopars just made torque monsters to power those pick C bodies. The heads on 383 and 440s are interchangeable, so 452s or 906s are both good heads and with a little work flow decent numbers.

Definitely should be a fun street motor on a ebody on the streets. Drive that shit like you stole it
  • Hook 'Em 1

^^  I've never been a fan of slamming a car down to the ground. Perhaps that is because our roads up here are so pathetic. I prefer cars at just about at the original ride height, but, other than that I love it. edit: On second look maybe it is the wheel arches that have me thinking it was lowered too much. 

1969_mercedes_-benz_280s_sedan_1554431001ff9f98764da1969-280S-1-e1556058508340.jpg.90261234474320ccc7a73b3e3e92da44.jpg

Edited by PittsburghTiger

Some cool features, not a huge fan of what they did to the body. It has lost a lot of the beauty of those classic 60's Mercedes .  A more understated body. (looks more like a scaled down Bentley or Rolls now)

The fender flares are a bit too big in my opinion, but I like the concept. Something more sub-tlely scaled would have been prettier.  Their scale, and proportion seem a bit cartoonish.

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Hook 'Em 2

50 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

The fender flares are a bit too big in my opinion, but I like the concept. Something more sub-tlely scaled would have been prettier.  Their scale, and proportion seem a bit cartoonish.

I'm fine with the rear flares but the front flares need to be dialed back just a bit imo. 

1 hour ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Some cool features, not a huge fan of what they did to the body. It has lost a lot of the beauty of those classic 60's Mercedes .  A more understated body. (looks more like a scaled down Bentley or Rolls now)

The removal of the rear bumper, while keeping the front creates a disturbing assymetry, imo.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, TexasEd said:

I know it's sad but when I look at that the second thing I notice is the rubber on the rear fender and think about getting a paint job for my car and how I could prevent that and rock chips.

(I did say the second thing I noticed)

My brain damage requires that I try to figure out whether it is an early 68 or a later build based on the quarter panel reflector.  

I know it's sad but when I look at that the second thing I notice is the rubber on the rear fender and think about getting a paint job for my car and how I could prevent that and rock chips.
(I did say the second thing I noticed)
Spray WD40 on the back quarters and rubber will never stick. Another option is to use the blue painter's tape from Home Depot.
1. Lay down a few tape widths
2. Drag race
3. Remove tape
4. Profit

It comes off clean and leaves no residue behind. Do NOT use masking tape.

If you don't already follow Dave (@iowahawkblog) on Twitter, you should. Every Saturday morning he puts his encyclopedic knowledge of old cars to use in identifying the cars from old family photos. It's a nice little thing to peruse while waking up. 

Thought this one was worth sharing. 

Click tweet (*edit - if you can; seems like it's not embedding properly for whatever reason) for this week's thread, but I'm also adding the larger versions of these photos here, too. 

https://twitter.com/iowahawkblog/status/1319965711675068416?s=19

20201024_104604.jpg

20201024_104914.jpg

20201024_104918.jpg

Edited by Prepuce of Doom
  • Like 1

Took a day trip down to my stepmom's house last weekend to take another step towards getting my mom's '71 Skylark convertible out of storage and up to my garage. Both of my parents are deceased and I've inherited the car - we're on good terms with my dad's second wife who is essentially the Doomlet's grandmother, and she's been gracious about letting me store it in her garage for the time being. However, it came at a cost - field mice made it a home two winters ago, thanks in no small part to the bounty of snacks my dad left in the car. Peanut butter cheese crackers in the glove box, granola bars in the trunk, and plenty of nesting materials in the form of blankets, etc. 

I posted pictures of the first discovery of the mouse problem back when it happened, but in my efforts to get it cleaned out, it overheated while driving it around town. Casual inspection showed evidence of previous overheating issues based on existing water stains and drips in the passenger footwell, and I now suspect that the flat of bottled water in the trunk was my dad's idea of how to deal with the problem instead of having it fixed. He was not mechanically inclined, and generally eschewed normal routine maintenance whenever possible and justifiable in his mind - this was enough of a character trait of his that the topic came up in more than one eulogy... 

I'm pretty sure that the mice wrought havoc with the heater core, so I'm going to have to have it trailered up from central Illinois to my house in Chicago.  We had intended to get it up here this spring, but alas... 

So last weekend I went down there to clean out any remaining mouse shitpiss, close up the roof, and get it more or less ready to be brought up here this spring. I don't plan on sinking much money into it (address overheating, confirm brakes are reliable, have it detailed, and fix any other safety-critical bullshit that the mice have fucked up), and it's not really an ideal car for my location (half city, half suburban), circumstances (Mrs. Doom is intimidated by driving such a large vehicle, and the Doomlet still requires a car seat), or driving style (fast and aggressive), and the safety features are non-existent - shitty old lap belts. Nevertheless, I am not quite ready to let go of it, and I think I need to drive it for a few summers before I am ready to make it just a memory...

20201017_131020.jpg

20201017_131033.jpg

20201017_133159.jpg

20201017_134755.jpg

20201017_135858.jpg

20201017_135902.jpg

20201017_142812.jpg

20201017_145806.jpg

Edited by Prepuce of Doom
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

58 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Took a day trip down to my stepmom's house last weekend to take another step towards getting my mom's '71 Skylark convertible out of storage and up to my garage. Both of my parents are deceased and I've inherited the car - we're on good terms with my dad's second wife who is essentially the Doomlet's grandmother, and she's been gracious about letting me store it in her garage for the time being. However, it came at a cost - field mice made it a home two winters ago, thanks in no small part to the bounty of snacks my dad left in the car. Peanut butter cheese crackers in the glove box, granola bars in the trunk, and plenty of nesting materials in the form of blankets, etc. 

I posted pictures of the first discovery of the mouse problem back when it happened, but in my efforts to get it cleaned out, it overheated while driving it around town. Casual inspection showed evidence of previous overheating issues based on existing water stains and drips in the passenger footwell, and I now suspect that the flat of bottled water in the trunk was my dad's idea of how to deal with the problem instead of having it fixed. He was not mechanically inclined, and generally eschewed normal routine maintenance whenever possible and justifiable in his mind - this was enough of a character trait of his that the topic came up in more than one eulogy... 

I'm pretty sure that the mice wrought havoc with the heater core, so I'm going to have to have it trailered up from central Illinois to my house in Chicago.  We had intended to get it up here this spring, but alas... 

So last weekend I went down there to clean out any remaining mouse shitpiss, close up the roof, and get it more or less ready to be brought up here this spring. I don't plan on sinking much money into it (address overheating, confirm brakes are reliable, have it detailed, and fix any other safety-critical bullshit that the mice have fucked up), and it's not really an ideal car for my location (half city, half suburban), circumstances (Mrs. Doom is intimidated by driving such a large vehicle, and the Doomlet still requires a car seat), or driving style (fast and aggressive), and the safety features are non-existent - shitty old lap belts. Nevertheless, I am not quite ready to let go of it, and I think I need to drive it for a few summers before I am ready to make it just a memory...

20201017_131020.jpg

20201017_131033.jpg

20201017_133159.jpg

20201017_134755.jpg

20201017_135858.jpg

20201017_135902.jpg

20201017_142812.jpg

20201017_145806.jpg

It's just the top, and mine is never up cause I ain't driving in the rain in a convertible.  Does cause problems when you do wanna put it up cause it doesn't wanna extend enough to catch the top pillar holes.

Yeah, I'm not too broken up about the top, though in addition to the corner near the rear window, there's also a small hole in the center. 

I don't ever intend to put the roof on it except in an emergency, and probably won't ever drive it on a day when the weather is even close to rain. It's a relatively new top, and while it's been a challenge to latch down for as long as the car has been in our family (1982 or 83? For some reason, it had already been restored when we got it - don't exactly know the provenance...) but I had such a hard time putting it on last week that I had to confirm with my stepmom that it definitely closed after being refinished. We eventually got it down, but it is now definitely a two-person job when it wasn't previously. 

I'm sure it's probably on tires that are 20 years old, the state of the brakes is probably a true hazard, and I'm sure there is at least another $5-10k of immediately obvious work that it needs here and there (the paint has hideous "touch ups" here and there that I wouldn't be shocked to discover are actually Wite Out), but dad thought it was more important to have a newer roof for the once-every-five-years phenomenon of possibly getting caught out in the rain. 

It's been grossly mistreated over the years, but I guess that will make it easier for me to actually drive it and not have to worry too much about parking it, every little rock chip, etc. 

I almost forgot the most exciting thing - my dad had a Shart Kit stashed in the trunk. A nearly full set of clothes, and some asswipes. 
I say "nearly full" because it had no underwear, and only one sock in the kit. 
20201017_140059.thumb.jpg.47e9fc00ec0022368dbaac60e0155ded.jpg

He thought of everything!

Seriously the palate of water thing makes me chuckle. I had a cousin that was exactly the same. He’d work overtime to jerry rig some weird solution to a minor problem, which inevitably became a major problem, but wouldn’t spend the five minutes of preventive care necessary to avoid the whole situation. God bless him wherever he is.

Found these today. Thought y’all would appreciate them:
d9a8eb0fc5ea6ec2a59fee913d922a42.jpg

e819f36a83e103ad9c6ecf03fc62ec33.jpg

09948c832f79548b70d42070b1e6aafa.jpg

f37e8e67e44a035f7a0542f04685fcab.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 10/24/2020 at 10:53 AM, Prepuce of Doom said:

If you don't already follow Dave (@iowahawkblog) on Twitter, you should. Every Saturday morning he puts his encyclopedic knowledge of old cars to use in identifying the cars from old family photos. It's a nice little thing to peruse while waking up. 

Thought this one was worth sharing. 

Click tweet (*edit - if you can; seems like it's not embedding properly for whatever reason) for this week's thread, but I'm also adding the larger versions of these photos here, too. 

https://twitter.com/iowahawkblog/status/1319965711675068416?s=19

20201024_104604.jpg

20201024_104914.jpg

20201024_104918.jpg

The funny thing about the Paint Chip Cuda is that it apparently never really existed.  The marketing department did that picture but it was never a real car, until a few years ago this guy goes and actually builds it.  I think it would have looked better if he did the whole car IMO.

@Prepuce of Doom

My dad did a lot of the same things yours did.  Instead of replacing the old trunk weather stripping he would put wadded up rags in the trunk wells and kept refrigerant and power steering fluid in the trunk instead of fixing leaks.  He never did any performance work or replace the worn ball joints and bushings but he put an ugly chrome dress up kit valve covers on the engine.

Luckily he saved the original ones in the trunk and I restored them and the air cleaner.  Air Cleaner is about $300 to replace.

He also carried are shart kit in the car.

I like your plan, make it safe and fun to drive on weekends.  I replaced my suspension, steering and installed front disc brakes and not much else.

Those are the biggest ROI in my opinion.

• Hook 'Em 1