Classic Car thread

TexasEd

Damn, those pricey. Clearly I don't have a sense of the demand for some of these mopars. 110k?
Classic car prices are very strong right now and you add in that 2 are Hemis both 4 speeds and the price goes up. People will pay a premium for black cars as well.

They only made 75 total 70 Hemi road runners. 59 were 4 speeds. Only 98 1969 4 speed Hemi GTXs we're made. Rare doesn't always equate to desirable but in this case, it does.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Mother mopar said:

Classic car prices are very strong right now and you add in that 2 are Hemis both 4 speeds and the price goes up. People will pay a premium for black cars as well.

They only made 75 total 70 Hemi road runners. 59 were 4 speeds. Only 98 1969 4 speed Hemi GTXs we're made. Rare doesn't always equate to desirable but in this case, it does.

Yeah, didn't realize that we were looking at the equivalent of a 68.5 428 Mustang here. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mother mopar said:

Might have an interest in that GTX if you get back in the door with them depending on specifics about it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mother mopar said:

If I had to guess it would take $110K for the black GTX, $75K for the Hemi roadrunner (unrestored BTW), $70K for the 69.5 road runner, and probably $50K for the convertible triple black coronet. At those prices, you're looking for private collector money and I'm not a surly 1%. That's a lot of cash.

I can try to get in front of it but that gets dicey. People need time to digest it all before the lions come out trying to pick the bones of the carcass of what's left from his estate. I have an in but I'm just laying low until his girlfriend decides what she wants to do.

Man, I'd keep after that.  Did the guy own a home?  

Even though he didn't have a will, IF his family goes to probate court, which they would if he has a home that needs to be disposed of, the administrator appointed will be in charge of disposing of assets, and not necessarily or even likely by auction.  Odds are decent they won't know what they've got and an 80-90% offer might get it done.

59 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Even though he didn't have a will, IF his family goes to probate court, which they would if he has a home that needs to be disposed of, the administrator appointed will be in charge of disposing of assets, and not necessarily or even likely by auction.  Odds are decent they won't know what they've got and an 80-90% offer might get it done.

It would probably take a package offer to get it done. Estates don’t typically want to sell them individually.

After further thought, I might be interested in a package offer and you can buy the Coronet out of it if they are interested and they all check out.

Might have an interest in that GTX if you get back in the door with them depending on specifics about it.
It's not a #s matching car, engine is a 528 Ray Barton build Hemi with a Nascar style cross ram set up...about 600+ horses. He barely drove it because it scared the shit out of him.

Everything else is good. Has another factory style hood to use if a person wanted to use a convention 426 hemi dual carb setup. 7f39bbd1c7c3f8ea2162f973dd39c619.jpgf96e5d0630dd5c5654522baf943712bb.jpg

Guy has no kids, prior Nam vet, not married but did have a live-in girlfriend for close to a decade. Has 2 sisters but they were never in his life from I know. Owns house doesn't believe in bills everything had to be cash...that type of person. I know his girlfriend and my father was his best friend.

I've known the guy for we'll over 15 yrs, even had a flag flown for him when I was deployed in Afghanistan. He was a good man, God got a good one. I'll wait and see how it plays out.

I don't have that type of cash for a bundle but if be interested in a single car purchase no doubt.
  • Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, Brew said:

It would probably take a package offer to get it done. Estates don’t typically want to sell them individually.

After further thought, I might be interested in a package offer and you can buy the Coronet out of it if they are interested and they all check out.

Yeah, that's a good point.  The administrator would probably prefer to do it as easily as possible with as few fees and groundwork as possible.

27 minutes ago, Mother mopar said:

Guy has no kids, prior Nam vet, not married but did have a live-in girlfriend for close to a decade. Has 2 sisters but they were never in his life from I know. Owns house doesn't believe in bills everything had to be cash...that type of person. I know his girlfriend and my father was his best friend.

I've known the guy for we'll over 15 yrs, even had a flag flown for him when I was deployed in Afghanistan. He was a good man, God got a good one. I'll wait and see how it plays out.

I don't have that type of cash for a bundle but if be interested in a single car purchase no doubt.

I assumed numbers matching at the number you mentioned. I would still be interested but at less than that. If they look to sell the group and you still want the Coronet, I may be interested in throwing out a package number if I could get more info.

Wasted a couple hundred bucks registering for the Mecum auction. There were a couple of Chevrolet/GTO’s of interest but the prices were crazy. A 1965 C10 4wd that was lifted and done well went for $198k. All the vehicles were from a museum collection so I figured there would be a premium, but it was a little nuts. Tomorrow is a bunch of Corvettes, I’m sure it will be even worse.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Brew said:

Wasted a couple hundred bucks registering for the Mecum auction. There were a couple of Chevrolet/GTO’s of interest but the prices were crazy. A 1965 C10 4wd that was lifted and done well went for $198k. All the vehicles were from a museum collection so I figured there would be a premium, but it was a little nuts. Tomorrow is a bunch of Corvettes, I’m sure it will be even worse.

Wish they would do a thing in Austin again.  But need some attainable cars. That Chevy collection looks bad ass, but some of those prices are insane.  Very nice cars, but far beyond my reach. 

CHIEF Jr. and I watch the Mecum Auction all the time, I have three cars that I regret not buying, could not talk my Dad into buying at the time, all were in high school or college. We had a caliche driveway with two cattle guards, if we got a lot of rain, you needed a 4x4 to get to the house. The driveway went up the side of a mountain. It's why I owned four broncos over the years. The driveway, me being young and wanting to drive them were the primary reasons they were never purchased.

Car #1, a 69' RS/SS Camaro. This car was light green with dark green rally stripes. It was a 302 car with a 4-speed, 290 hp. 6500 rpm redline, and in mint condition. No a/c, no power steering, but had power brakes, numbers matched. Could have bought it for $3500. Very rare car. Worth about $40k now.

Car #2, a 1965 Shelby Cobra 289, original real Shelby. Dad was rolling in the oil business. The car was in the Dallas Morning News classifieds for $125k in 1982. I was into cars, but I was told I was an idiot, the car was as much as a house. Worth about $1,000,000 currently.

Car #3, 69' Roadrunner, 383 4-speed car. Was an 11 second car at the time, with a non-matching block. The owner, did, however have the original block mothballed, so you could have put it back to a numbers matching car. Another car I could have bought for $3500. Currently worth about $50k.

What's funny is those old Broncos are now worth more than all of them except the Cobra.

CHIEF

51 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Wish they would do a thing in Austin again.  But need some attainable cars. That Chevy collection looks bad ass, but some of those prices are insane.  Very nice cars, but far beyond my reach. 

There were a few that stayed “reasonable” but not many. I was after one of the ‘65 Chevelles but I had a stop point of $48k on it and it ended up at $55k. I want a ‘67 Chevelle/GTO but the goats all hit $100k. There is a ‘66 442 and a couple of Novas I’m going to put a number out in the morning on I think. Then I’ll quit dreaming and go back to finding a driver.

It is crazy what trucks are doing right now. C10’s and K5’s hitting right at six figures or more with some being all original.

12 hours ago, Anastasis said:

In case any of you diamond hands got some extra $GME cash to throw around...

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1969-chevrolet-k5-blazer-4x4-7/

That is absolutely gorgeous. If you aren't going to put it back completely original, would have probably went with independent suspension with coil overs. Other than that, what more could a man ask for.

CHIEF

On 1/22/2021 at 9:50 PM, CHIEF said:

CHIEF Jr. and I watch the Mecum Auction all the time, I have three cars that I regret not buying, could not talk my Dad into buying at the time, all were in high school or college. We had a caliche driveway with two cattle guards, if we got a lot of rain, you needed a 4x4 to get to the house. The driveway went up the side of a mountain. It's why I owned four broncos over the years. The driveway, me being young and wanting to drive them were the primary reasons they were never purchased.

Car #1, a 69' RS/SS Camaro. This car was light green with dark green rally stripes. It was a 302 car with a 4-speed, 290 hp. 6500 rpm redline, and in mint condition. No a/c, no power steering, but had power brakes, numbers matched. Could have bought it for $3500. Very rare car. Worth about $40k now.

Car #2, a 1965 Shelby Cobra 289, original real Shelby. Dad was rolling in the oil business. The car was in the Dallas Morning News classifieds for $125k in 1982. I was into cars, but I was told I was an idiot, the car was as much as a house. Worth about $1,000,000 currently.

Car #3, 69' Roadrunner, 383 4-speed car. Was an 11 second car at the time, with a non-matching block. The owner, did, however have the original block mothballed, so you could have put it back to a numbers matching car. Another car I could have bought for $3500. Currently worth about $50k.

What's funny is those old Broncos are now worth more than all of them except the Cobra.

CHIEF

I was gonna say, you had gold in your hands Chief...  I've given up on getting an old Bronco. I'm getting a newish 2 door when they become available on the secondary market.

That's a funny looking distributor you got there. 
It's an Electronic one (guts) but externally it's the same as a stocker with the correct brown cap. However, my plug wires are just laid over as I'm getting ready to put in a new cam.

Plus I'm determined to see if the #4 cam journal is installed incorrectly leading to my oiling problems.

Curiosity always gets the best of me so I was not willing to give up on my oiling issues on the hemi. Starting yesterday I primed the engine for hours until I hit the right spot where the #4 cam journal lines up with the driver's side oil crossover passage hole. I put a tube in the hole and ran the drill for a good 20 minutes yo ensure a good flow (see pic #1.)

So I know the engine is built right so on to the heads. The oil passage is a straight shot thru the head. So I cleaned that out and installed the head with a mock-up head gasket.

Next up the rocker stands and shaft (pic #2) I blow compressed air through the shafts and check all my oiling holes and "banana groves" everything was good. Orientation was good with the shaft. Installed them and started priming the engine and 8-10 mins later shafts fill up with oil and boom! They are oiling on both sides (pics 3&4).

Great day! Saves an engine rebuild and a machine shop bill. Going to install a new cam next month, custom grind from Ray Barton Hemis (see pic 5). Then I just need to install the trans, need to buy new clutch kit and flywheel that will take the new found power from the cam (550-575ish).

Also purchased new dated coded windshield and back glass from ECS automotive this week. Should be here in April and I'll have it installed. 7666ccbf817678917f8522120ea69e12.jpgfd4312d9aeed4c9df72a222a9cbefdff.jpgf4e4d726966de12389923f990c1371b3.jpgbccea0e995f0e16e47ded1a85d658e4f.jpg8f4155c4bc37d69e0f01644d938fd779.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Is this a hemi only issue? Haven't dug into an engine for years but don't remember seeing or having to look for what you describe
Yes, Hemis don't oil through the pushrods like most big blocks. The oil through the rockers instead due to the unconventional heads and associated geometry. There is a reason why people call them hemiroids, lol.

It will be worth it when she gets running. Hemi backed with a 4 speed and a dana 60 with 4:10 gears will be able to eat almost anything from light to light.

On the road again ...

IMG_6335.jpg.c98379578c5029cfbd30402821adf47c.jpgIMG_6336.jpg.89974577b226142d4cbb348d41ed0bff.jpg

Well kind of, if getting towed to the shop is on the road.

Initial start up was a comedy of errors.  Let's take a look shall we?

Thermostat gasket leak (fixed)

Fuel sending unit gasket leak (fixed)

Tranny cooling line leak (fixed)

Oil filter leak (fixed)

Brake line leak (not fixed, under the MC, unreachable)

Then when I start the car to drive to the muffler shop, car won't go into gear, so something is up with the tranny linkage.  So I turn the car off and the key is stuck in the ignition switch and the car won't turn off.  Fuck it, I pull the battery cables off and call AAA to come get this motherfucker.

I'm done.  Let the pros wrap it up and then I will truly be on the road again.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

^^

Follow up, the shop sussed everything out in a couple of hours.  Had a funny back and forth with the mechanic:

Him:  Things were loose all over the place. Who the hell you have working on this thing?

Me:  Some dumbass, forget his name.

Him:  Well, don't use him anymore.

Me:  Hell no.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

• 2 weeks later...