Classic Car thread

TexasEd

I figure the surly collective will know-- I've always wanted a 1965/66 Mustang convertible.  289.  I'd like to buy it weekend-driver ready, but it doesn't need to be a show car.

So... any idea how much would something like that cost these days?

And, where's the best place to look for it?

Edited by utee94

2 minutes ago, utee94 said:

I figure the surly collective will know-- I've always wanted a 1965/66 Mustang convertible.  289.  I'd like to buy it weekend-driver ready, but it doesn't need to be a show car.

For something turn key, 30-35k imo. If you find somethign solid with no work required sub 30k pull the trigger imo. But you should buy a 67/68 as they are far superior.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

For something turn key, 30-35k imo. If you find somethign solid with no work required sub 30k pull the trigger imo. But you should buy a 67/68 as they are far superior.  

Why do you think they're  far superior ?    There's not that much different between the 3 years. The 67, and 68 have slightly larger bodies, the same engine options (for the most part) a few accessories that were stock, and have ugly, padded steering wheels (dashboards after 66 on all American cars weren't as pretty as the earlier models), all the padded dash stuff made them slightly safer, but not as pretty.  I've owned both a 65, and 67. 

They're all nice, my advice is get what you like, but get a 4 speed manual, 289, they're just more fun to drive.  I'm also partial to the convertibles.  You can find one from the mid $20's, and up depending on condition, and rarity. Solid mechanics trump a show body for me. I wanna get in, turn the key, and have it start all the time. A daily driver is gonna get dinged up so another reason not to buy the show body car.

8 hours ago, Anastasis said:

mostly just classic car smack talk. 

Yup.  It's kind of a long-standing topic of friendly disagreement among Mustang owners.  I prefer the smaller bodies of the 65/66, but if someone threw a 67/68 in my lap I wouldn't turn it down. :)

In college I had a 1983 GLX convertible.  Just the 6-banger.   It was a fun car, certainly not a classic like the first generation.

Edited by utee94

18 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Yup.  It's kind of a long-standing topic of friendly disagreement among Mustang owners.  I prefer the smaller bodies of the 65/66, but if someone threw a 67/68 in my lap I wouldn't turn it down. :)

In college I had a 1983 GLX convertible.  Just the 6-banger.   It was a fun car, certainly not a classic like the first generation.

Oh yeah, my question was more curiosity, because there are thing about both generations that are better, and worse than the other, just the aesthetics IMO.  For me it's the subtle details more than anything else. The dash board, and steering wheel is the biggest issue I have with the 67-68's, but I friggin' love the 67 hood with the hood scoop turn signals. It's just such a really nice, elegant detail. I really want one for my 65, and have read lots of threads about the issues trying to do it.  I'd take a 65-66 fastback over the 67-68 fastback though. Just a slightly better scaled, and proportioned look IMO.

I know you had mentioned it a couple times, but I never took it seriously because I've never taken you to be that womanly ficklized.

It’s got some issues that bug me that I will have to take the whole car apart to fix. Cheaper to sell it and buy a better one.

12 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Oh yeah, my question was more curiosity, because there are thing about both generations that are better, and worse than the other, just the aesthetics IMO.  For me it's the subtle details more than anything else. The dash board, and steering wheel is the biggest issue I have with the 67-68's, but I friggin' love the 67 hood with the hood scoop turn signals. It's just such a really nice, elegant detail. I really want one for my 65, and have read lots of threads about the issues trying to do it.  I'd take a 65-66 fastback over the 67-68 fastback though. Just a slightly better scaled, and proportioned look IMO.

Agree that the federal safety issues really hurt the 67s and 68s. The side marker reflectors are off putting. Agree on the 68 hoods (standard option, 67 was optional). And the dashes took a hit in 67/68, but that horrendous 67 steering wheel bumper is in a league of it's own.  I for one love the chunky ass of the 67/68 fastbacks.   

• Hook 'Em 1

Surly thoughts on headlight upgrades. My high school son drives a 65 mustang and I want to upgrade the headlights to something brighter.  I realize this will require a new, heavier wiring harness. My question is, what about the halo daytime driving light bulbs? Would these be to modern looking and take away from the classic old school look? The halo might require a jumper wire to get power when main headlight is not burning but didn’t seem like to big of a deal. 

42 minutes ago, RMac5 said:

Surly thoughts on headlight upgrades. My high school son drives a 65 mustang and I want to upgrade the headlights to something brighter.  I realize this will require a new, heavier wiring harness. My question is, what about the halo daytime driving light bulbs? Would these be to modern looking and take away from the classic old school look? The halo might require a jumper wire to get power when main headlight is not burning but didn’t seem like to big of a deal. 

I'm a fan of restomodding, but not a fan of the halo lights (on any car actually) I'd just go LED, which I've done for my tail lights. It's all personal preference of course.  It may be more than just a heavier wiring harness though.   I thought I read something on a mustang forum about possibly needing a new alternator or voltage regulator (electronic vs. solid state) for some reason.  That's not a big deal though, I've upgraded my alternator/voltage regulator for the very purpose of restomodding features.

• Hook 'Em 1

Huh ?  Body issues ?  Drive train ?  Demon possession like in Christine ??!

Someone did some body work likely after a wreck prior to me owning and a rear quarter is on wonky. Affects all the panels all the way around. Only way to fix it is take the whole thing apart. I didn’t realize it until after I bought it.
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

30 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

Just took the old 911 out for the first time since December. It ran great. Top was down, albeit I wore a hat and had the heater on. But it sure felt nice to take a little drive.

its too bad the pics aren't showing up. 

On 3/3/2021 at 8:32 PM, PittsburghTiger said:

Before the drive.

IMG_0821D.thumb.JPG.e991927e426e42ef7f42c032fde12d78.JPG

During the drive, down the bottom of the hill. It really needs a good dusting inside and some soapy water on the outside.

Get that crap off the Riv and take it out for a spin. 😃

• Haha 1

That was the reason for the question. Is there really any downforce help with a wing that high.?
It was not for show, as it was functional at high speeds. It was so good that when it was combined with the 426 Hemi in daytonas and Superbirds Nascar outlawed them. The scoops on the front fenders of said cars were also functional and used for cooling and aerodynamics. As the car squatted the tires would sink right into the cutouts.

Those cars restored now are $175-300K. Back then they couldn't give them away as people hated the wings cars. Now they have a cult following.
  • Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, Mother mopar said:

It was not for show, as it was functional at high speeds. It was so good that when it was combined with the 426 Hemi in daytonas and Superbirds Nascar outlawed them. The scoops on the front fenders of said cars were also functional and used for cooling and aerodynamics. As the car squatted the tires would sink right into the cutouts.

Those cars restored now are $175-300K. Back then they couldn't give them away as people hated the wings cars. Now they have a cult following.

I remember as a little kid when they were released there were a few around town.  The cool colors, and the wing took a young Onboards (8 or so years old) breath away.  I had a love affair with cars from an early age: Matchboxes, Tonka, Hot Wheels, Revel models. 

I remember thinking the Superbird was an actual real Hot wheel car.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 3/3/2021 at 7:14 AM, RMac5 said:

I have a 69 with 4 headlights so when high beams are on the wiring harness is an issue.

I went with the Halogen bulbs and added a relay to the wiring harness that turns the original harness into the switch and the new harness carries the current straight from the battery/alternator and the headlights are much brighter with the full 12V and current needs for those lights.

It also have the advantage of being cheaper than the alternatives.  I got my relay on Amazon.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just saw on another forum a guy in Houston has a 67 convertible for sale for $30k I think.
  • Hook 'Em 1