Classic Car thread

TexasEd

2 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Do you remember what retrofit/product you used? 

This is about all I've found, but I haven't researched exhaustively. 

https://www.wescoperformance.com/retrofit-seat-belts-shoul-mt-no-door.html

I did mine back in 2006 so I don't remember, but looking at your attachment it looks like a similar system to what I have.  You do some drilling into the door pillars behind the driver, and the passenger seat you attach to the existing connections at the floor, and on the transmission tunnel Then it's  just picking your color, I went with black.

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, mulletpelini said:

Me as a kid riding in the back window of my folks 63 Impala is really confused by this thing you're calling seat belts?

Shit, sitting in my dad's lap in the pickup, I worked the wheel and he worked the pedals. And also a Lone Star.  Scared the fuck out of me the time he slammed on the brakes.  "Hold on, we got to back over that snake."  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

On 4/6/2021 at 6:13 PM, Anastasis said:

Shit, sitting in my dad's lap in the pickup, I worked the wheel and he worked the pedals. And also a Lone Star.  Scared the fuck out of me the time he slammed on the brakes.  "Hold on, we got to back over that snake."  

That’s me and my kids as soon as we cross the gate at the ranch. 

• Like 1

On 3/30/2021 at 9:03 PM, Anastasis said:

OK, so side question. How offensive if at all is it to ask the shop if you can supply parts? I assume they will increase the labor rate?

ETA: Actually wasn't as bad as initially thought when I did a quick online parts search, only really one component (control valve) was seriously marked up and that might just be a sourcing issue for them but it was the first one I searched and jumped out immediately. 

Another question: Anyone done a Borgeson power steering conversion on their car?  I am thinking about just dumping the ford system which is just going to start leaking again and swapping for the integral unit.  

I did a rebuild of the original system with Dan at Chockostang.  I like it and with the right hoses and attention to fitment it does not leak.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 4/6/2021 at 12:35 PM, Prepuce of Doom said:

Do you remember what retrofit/product you used? 

This is about all I've found, but I haven't researched exhaustively. 

https://www.wescoperformance.com/retrofit-seat-belts-shoul-mt-no-door.html

I recommend Setbelt planet,  they can reweb existing or supply 3 point and match the color and style of webbing.

https://www.seatbeltplanet.com/

• Hook 'Em 2

On 4/6/2021 at 4:13 PM, Anastasis said:

That's an awesome memory.

My grandfather used to take me cruising in the Hill Country in his big ass Buick. (I was just a prop so he could get out of the house to have a few pops without Mema hounding him.)  Beer of choice was Pearl, with a small brick of chewing tobacco he'd gnaw on.

We were on a dirt road one time and he said, "Boy, get out there and move that rock, don't want to puncture my tire."  My young dumbass self was happy as hell to jump out into 105 degree heat and do it.

As I got older and looked back on that drive I always chuckled.  He was either too drunk or too lazy to just move the damn wheel and drive around it. Probably both.

• Hook 'Em 2

19 hours ago, TexasEd said:

I did a rebuild of the original system with Dan at Chockostang.  I like it and with the right hoses and attention to fitment it does not leak.

Same.  Everything came back with an impeccable paint job, looked brand new.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Pulled up to this Trans Am yesterday. He didn’t try to race me. I guess my Tacoma looked too formidable. 

spacer.png

Love that era of car.

My older brother had an '81 Camaro that was that color blue.  It was beautiful.

On 4/10/2021 at 11:21 PM, El Diablo said:

DSC_6708_00001.thumb.jpg.987920a79c4e77645c710c946667a108.jpg

Could have been my first truck.  '65, stepside, 283 with 3 on the tree.   If you see it again, go look and see if it has a bullet hole in the hood and fenderwell on the passenger side.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, davidg said:

Could have been my first truck.  '65, stepside, 283 with 3 on the tree.   If you see it again, go look and see if it has a bullet hole in the hood and fenderwell on the passenger side.

I'll do that. Went back the next week and a guy stopped me to talk, he'd seen me taking pictures of it the week before. I think he was the owner. Definitely a car guy, gave me the history of most of the cars he'd ever owned. I'll try to get a better look if I see it there again. 

8 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

That pinstripe work is sexy. 

On the Mercury?  Yeah, It had a recessed antenna with work around it, all down the sides and then on the deck lid too.

The Ford truck had nice work around the panels on the doors and other places.

• Like 1

It is just amazing how many difference there were in design styles back then. You instantly knew a Mopar from a Ford etc.  Not talking muscle cars but general purpose sedans. No one confused a Galaxie 500 with an New Yorker etc.  Today most middle of the line sedans look the same (accord, malibu etc). Maybe because of the crash standards but there isn't a lot of diffrence

Holy Grl is a great plate. 
Long story on that car but it truly is. I read about it a few months back on the forums. Car was found in south lake Texas. Is an original Hemi, 4 speed all numbers matching car? It sat for over 50 years! Still has dirt on the fenders and hood.

I talked to the owner and we shot the shit for a while. The car is so rare as it is an in restored survivor. Once the Chrysler corp found out about the car, they sent people down to photograph it for historical reasons. Guy said over 10K photos were taken, even has the original tires from the day it was bought as the we're removed in favor of mags by the first owner.

Here are a few pix I took for my own edification as I continue to work on my car. You'll notice there is a tire servicing sticker from June of 70 on the door...talk about history, absolutely crazy. Today was the first day it's been in public and it will go to the Mopar nationals this summer before being put in the Chrysler Museum. 78a3bae0a0bd84029e5a8797120b8eb6.jpg694c23fd80b74aa026add14a174a5a39.jpg9db1473bc0f102eb7d6df6725e40edc5.jpgb09900dd15dee4891fb132bb88ea1d1f.jpg9bad104d25dcf0ad6e986cceec041ee9.jpg1510ab49a1514e3daa8ebd3671033c13.jpg0f18a95ba5be7543bf5706bd0fb2fddc.jpg905378e690451928f6dc31a48d46de7e.jpg53373e40233b8ff6b83778458ed0d87d.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

8 minutes ago, Mother mopar said:

Long story on that car but it truly is. I read about it a few months back on the forums. Car was found in south lake Texas. Is an original Hemi, 4 speed all numbers matching car? It sat for over 50 years! Still has dirt on the fenders and hood.

I talked to the owner and we shot the shit for a while. The car is so rare as it is an in restored survivor. Once the Chrysler corp found out about the car, they sent people down to photograph it for historical reasons. Guy said over 10K photos were taken, even has the original tires from the day it was bought as the we're removed in favor of mags by the first owner.

Here are a few pix I took for my own edification as I continue to work on my car. You'll notice there is a tire servicing sticker from June of 70 on the door...talk about history, absolutely crazy. Today was the first day it's been in public and it will go to the Mopar nationals this summer before being put in the Chrysler Museum. 78a3bae0a0bd84029e5a8797120b8eb6.jpg694c23fd80b74aa026add14a174a5a39.jpg9db1473bc0f102eb7d6df6725e40edc5.jpgb09900dd15dee4891fb132bb88ea1d1f.jpg9bad104d25dcf0ad6e986cceec041ee9.jpg1510ab49a1514e3daa8ebd3671033c13.jpg0f18a95ba5be7543bf5706bd0fb2fddc.jpg905378e690451928f6dc31a48d46de7e.jpg53373e40233b8ff6b83778458ed0d87d.jpg

Love seeing survivors. That is one rare fucking car.  I think survivors are much more interesting than restored cars for a number of reasons, but seeing a car, and all the blemishes it's taken on over the decades is very cool to see. My moms boyfriend has restored 50 cars over the years.  He got a '32 convertible roadster a few years back. It had original paint, original leather interior, engine, everything untouched. It even ran well.

I begged him to leave it as is.  He didn't, it's gorgeous now, but not the fascinating thing it was before he took it apart, and lovingly restored it.

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Like 1

Got my ride back from the shop today.  They did a very thorough sorting of various issues.  Basically a new power brake and power steering system, new gaskets, new motor mounts, new drums, new shocks, some other seals, u joints, harmonic balancer, trans shit.  Just took off a big bite to get all the major mechanicals in line, but should not have to fuck with anything major any time soon.

ETA: Except now my A/C compressor doesn't engage. LOL. 

Edited by Anastasis
  • Rage+1 1