Classic Car thread

TexasEd

On 6/9/2021 at 11:27 PM, JSB said:

Also not quite sure how this is driven, I see no pedals. Is it hand operated with the shifter knobs on the left? Butt plug looking switches to the right of the wheel? 

Drive vehicle to car show.

Exit vehicle, take inserts from trunk.

Place inserts in front of pedals (notice the improper match in colors & the gap by the sill plate?).

U00034636637_10_001.jpg?ver=detail001&im

???

利益
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I know this isn't classic car related, but I value the car experience, and passion here in this thread.
 I reserved a two door bronco for purchase at some point between now, and 2022.  It's gonna be my daily driver vehicle.
I've given up on the idea that I'm going to get a hold of a pre-1975 bronco as that market has just gotten stupid expensive. 
I've been building a 2 door bronco in several different platforms, but one of the features that's remained consistent is wanting the seven speed manual transmission instead of the 10 sped automatic. 
I like a stick shift car, but why would I not want to get the 7 speedmanual transmission as opposed to the 10 speed automatic ? I can handle the truth.

The auto will be better/easier off-road, if that matters.

2 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

The auto will be better/easier off-road, if that matters.

Interesting, figured a stick would be better... fucking Skynet.  It's not gonna be an off roading vehicle, except in the sand at the Outer Bnks in Carolina.  I'm looking for a used 4 x 4 pick up truck now that would be an off roading vehicle if the need arose.

Bumper Pron!!!

Found a big package on front porch.  Front /rear bumpers and overiders for the 1962 MGA are back from rechroming. Not bad for almost 60 years old. Now I have to remember how to attach license plate bracket to rear bumper. Involves a small arsenal of washers and spacers.

IMG_0969small.jpg

IMG_0980small.jpg

Edited by AUinHsv
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, AUinHsv said:

Bumper Pron!!!

Found a big package on front porch.  Front /rear bumpers and overiders for the 1962 MGA are back from rechroming. Not bad for almost 60 years old. Now I have to remember how to attach license plate bracket to rear bumper. Involves a small arsenal of washers and spacers.

IMG_0969small.jpg

IMG_0980small.jpg

Where did you send and did you have to rework (straighten) them before you sent them out?

On 6/12/2021 at 12:14 PM, dingleberryswitzer said:

I didn’t go to far back to see if this was posted, but there’s a classic car tour headed up I35 next weekend.  Starts in SA, pit stops in San Marcos and temple.

https://www.greatrace.com/route

oof, driving classic cars up 35 in June does not sound like fun to me.  

Well, I finally scrounged up enough courage to call my Stepmother to chat about the '64½ Mustang.

For those who don't know, she is the original owner - day 1 for this 6 cyl. "Notch" (I don't think they even had a fast back until '65).

I have sparse pics somewhere, need to dig those up.

100% stock with the exception of the stereo & parcel tray; my Dad had a push button cassette player & "upgraded" speakers installed in the mid 80's (obv. both very easy to replace; I have no idea of she still has the original stereo).

Since Dad passed away 3 years ago & she isn't likely to remarry (I think they got married around '70 or so), it's a somewhat touchy thing to bring up seemingly out of nowhere. The 2 of them never had any kids & I think she was an only child, so no nieces or nephews to contend with.

My brother isn't really a gearhead or aficionado; he has a certain appreciation for vehicles but for the most part he views them as functional & utilitarian.

I sorta got right into it on a phone call Saturday as I was driving home... "Say, would you ever consider selling the 64 to me?" & she probably took less than ⅛ of second to say "Whaaaat? Absolutely not!" but in a friendly & yet surprised way.

I guess that was my best intro into planting a seed that I like & do want the vehicle, should the moment ever come.

Added note, my brother & I haven't even discussed anything of a serious nature how we would divide Dad's & her assets when the time actually comes. I am here in Central Texas, he is in the Fort Lauderdale area & she still lives in their house - Lexington, Virginia.

She's probably 73 or so... said she still reliably idles it for 5 - 10 minutes around 1× / month "& I actually drove it to town in May."

If I dig up the pics, I will post here.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

I had a friend who had a ‘62 Impala back in the early 90s. Man, you coulda fit half a dozen dead bodies in that trunk. It was huuuge. I imagine a 60 was no smaller.

Had a buddy with an early 60's Impala in high school. He, and his two brothers would sleep in the trunk on camping trips/pasture parties. Plenty of room to stretch out for all three of them at 6' and 150-160 lbs.

CHIEF 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 6/12/2021 at 5:23 PM, TexPx said:

7325d20b2949c33af7345e45b5a47470.jpg

I’m a fan of hot hatches and this is pretty rare. I think they made only 500 of these in ‘86.

My first car was a non-Shelby version of this-- the 1981 Dodge Omni.  It was quite the piece of shit. 

• Haha 4

I had a friend who had a ‘62 Impala back in the early 90s. Man, you coulda fit half a dozen dead bodies in that trunk. It was huuuge. I imagine a 60 was no smaller.

Out past the cornfields where the woods got heavy, in the backseat of my 60 Chevy
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, tbone_ said:

Out past the cornfields where the woods got heavy, in the backseat of my 60 Chevy

Funny story.  At the time, my daily driver was a '65 Mustang.  I used to roll into Denton from Austin for the weekend and pick up my girlfriend at UNT.  Impala guy would skedaddle so I could use his apartment. Except this one time he forgot, so I parked right next to his Impala and made do with the backseat of the Mustang. So - close to the 62 Chevy, but nowhere near any cornfields, and only the breathing was heavy. 

Edited by Chad Fuck
  • Hook 'Em 3

I had some very productive times in the back seat of my dad’s ‘61 Impala sedan up until when he sold it in 1966.

2E043EEB-EEB5-4435-9D27-9C037FECDCF8.jpeg.f068cdfdac6a4668366b60c372c27684.jpeg

Nice! We had a 60s car mafia in the early 90s in Denton. I had a friend with a 61 bubble top. He had some issue and they put that thing on the lift. Once the wheels came off the ground the whole thing went limp like a wet rag from all the rust in various places giving way. It was like a cartoon balloon deflating. I’m
surprised the windows didn’t pop out from the distortion. The mechanic immediately let it down and wouldn’t touch it any further. Said it was a “rolling rust bucket death trap.” Friend sold it very soon after. No idea who would’ve bought such a thing. Good times.
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, TexPx said:

I had the predecessor to the GLHS. Actually a pretty good little car(Made by Mitsubishi)and loads of fun.
5e79a6923ea7e5b5d2ce82f65285639b.jpg

Yeah I'm sure any of those were about a million times better than the average Dodge Omni.  Mine came special with a Volkswagen engine, I think they did this for the first year or two of production.  The most glorious feature of that Volkswagen engine was how magnificently it would vapor-lock and leave me stranded all over the city from about May through September.  It really hated Texas heat.

Kinda funny, my second car after that Omni fell apart, was the Chrysler version of the Daytona that's behind the GLHS in your picture.  It was a 1986 Chrysler Laser XT Turbo.  I really loved that car, and it was pretty quick by mid-80s American standards.  It was no Mustang 5.0 or IROC Z but it was cool enough to help a humble Austin high school kid pull some decent wool.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mother mopar said:
On 6/17/2021 at 10:53 PM, Ldogg53 said:
Been a while since I’ve popped in.  Since last postings I’ve upgraded my intake manifold, put on coil covers and did a rear brake conversion. 

CA26ACC7-30FA-4E9C-B980-67ED52A807B5.thumb.jpeg.5e8d08d3ef35619dbb9c490772d5a865.jpeg
F54AAFAA-E2BE-4A10-BC16-B2B4230DB58D.thumb.jpeg.9e0c4ad98d807e9b2bdda196dc6a615e.jpeg
EE6F0D86-0F27-45B8-857B-ECD419FD4FB6.thumb.jpeg.216b2ae9d3a4808c52164ba3338ef8a2.jpeg
C04EED17-A6D1-4C0B-AB39-9EA3CE1FE738.thumb.jpeg.e171ec3e124ae80db073162c93014d7d.jpeg

Is that a water bottle for a coolant overflow?

Lol. Indeed.  It’s orange so it works for now with my black and orange theme. A friend of mine found an old liquor bottle from the 40’s that I’m going to put there the next time I catch up with him. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2