Classic Car thread

TexasEd

Well, for the first time since 2013, my Mustang is off to the shop.  For those who don't know, I have a '65 that was the family car when I was born, and was my first car.  It's been restored once (when I was a sophomore in high school) at 100k (miles not dollars), and then I went and put another 185k driving it to and from UT, then working, then to and from UT Law, and then working some more before I could afford something more reasonable as a daily driver.  It was rode pretty hard, so I started working on it again back in the early 2010s.  There are some pics on TOS, I'm sure.  Chad Jr. came along and I stopped working on it while trying to figure out how to raise/pay for a little one.  Now that I have that somewhat figured out, Mrs. F said, "Why don't you get that Mustang finished while you can still enjoy it with all of us."  She, of course, was correct.  But I have no time to give it personally right now so I found a reputable shop to help me out.  Tried to post pics here via tapa, but failed somehow.  Will try again later. 

Labor has gone from $85/hr to $175/hr.  I think I may have a heart attack.  Luckily enough, it's mostly done.  Mostly.  

Anyhow, I'll keep y'all updated as I go along.  I hope it'll be a short journey across the finish line for this pony.  

Edited by Chad Fuck
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

Well, for the first time since 2013, my Mustang is off to the shop.  For those who don't know, I have a '65 that was the family car when I was born, and was my first car.  It's been restored once (when I was a sophomore in high school) at 100k (miles not dollars), and then I went and put another 185k driving it to and from UT, then working, then to and from UT Law, and then working some more before I could afford something more reasonable as a daily driver.  It was rode pretty hard, so I started working on it again back in the early 2010s.  There are some pics on TOS, I'm sure.  Chad Jr. came along and I stopped working on it while trying to figure out how to raise/pay for a little one.  Now that I have that somewhat figured out, Mrs. F said, "Why don't you get that Mustang finished while you can still enjoy it with all of us."  She, of course, was correct.  But I have no time to give it personally right now so I found a reputable shop to help me out.  Tried to post pics here via tapa, but failed somehow.  Will try again later. 
Labor has gone from $85/hr to $175/hr.  I think I may have a heart attack.  Luckily enough, it's mostly done.  Mostly.  
Anyhow, I'll keep y'all updated as I go along.  I hope it'll be a short journey across the finish line for this pony.  

Wait? You are a lawyer? I thought you were just a degenerate guitar player like the rest of us.
  • Like 2

On 8/4/2021 at 5:04 PM, tbone_ said:

Wait? You are a lawyer? I thought you were just a degenerate guitar player like the rest of us.

Look he's here on Surly, he's obviously a degen (props to Letterkenny).  Whether he's a lawyer, doctor or Indian chief matters not.  

He's got a 65 Mustang, and that counts for a lot in my book.

Fired her up again and set idle, timing and let her warm up to check the valve lash hot. Checked all the valves and the lash was pretty good. Wanted to make sure so went back and set it at 0.020" per the cam card.

Well, what I thought was a rear main seal leak during the cam break-in was a transmission retailer bearing seal leak. Got a gasket overnighted and pulled the trans yesterday. Sealed it up and installed the trans today.

Went ahead and installed the brake booster and master cylinder as well. Bled the rear brakes but for some reason, I'm not getting fluid to my front calipers. I'm getting fluid to the proportioning valve but not past it, so I think it's bad or clogged. I'll dig into that this wknd. I've also got to drop the fuel tank as my fuel sending unit seal is leaking...always something. Productive week though.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Mother mopar said:

Fired her up again and set idle, timing and let her warm up to check the valve lash hot. Checked all the valves and the lash was pretty good. Wanted to make sure so went back and set it at 0.020" per the cam card.

Well, what I thought was a rear main seal leak during the cam break-in was a transmission retailer bearing seal leak. Got a gasket overnighted and pulled the trans yesterday. Sealed it up and installed the trans today.

Went ahead and installed the brake booster and master cylinder as well. Bled the rear brakes but for some reason, I'm not getting fluid to my front calipers. I'm getting fluid to the proportioning valve but not past it, so I think it's bad or clogged. I'll dig into that this wknd. I've also got to drop the fuel tank as my fuel sending unit seal is leaking...always something. Productive week though.

GO MAN !!!!!!

Look he's here on Surly, he's obviously a degen (props to Letterkenny).  Whether he's a lawyer, doctor or Indian chief matters not.  
He's got a 65 Mustang, and that counts for a lot in my book.

It’s cool. T Bone knows a few things about degenerate guitar players.

Was talking to Monster while on a drive & his desired ride (he's 14) is a '65 Mustang.  I mentioned the Step mom's '64.5 & how since it's 100% matching VIN & trans, even though it's a sixer, that's still 100^ original & if we were some how to get ahold of it, that same setup stays (even the non power steering) & I'd go after swapping out the stereo & speakers to factory specs.

Added as part of the conversation, if I was somehow lucky enough to win some big cash in the lottery, I'd go after an already unmatched 64 / 65 notch & go full on restomod but clean.  Power steering, power brakes to all 4 corners, hopped up engine, etc.  Nothing outrageous, no honkin' bug catcher, etc.

Something like these 2 pics that I quickly snooped on the Googs:

1965 Mustang Restomod For Sale

1965 Ford Mustang | Premier Auction

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

On 8/8/2021 at 5:38 AM, ROFL BOX said:

Was talking to Monster while on a drive & his desired ride (he's 14) is a '65 Mustang.  I mentioned the Step mom's '64.5 & how since it's 100% matching VIN & trans, even though it's a sixer, that's still 100^ original & if we were some how to get ahold of it, that same setup stays (even the non power steering) & I'd go after swapping out the stereo & speakers to factory specs.

Added as part of the conversation, if I was somehow lucky enough to win some big cash in the lottery, I'd go after an already unmatched 64 / 65 notch & go full on restomod but clean.  Power steering, power brakes to all 4 corners, hopped up engine, etc.  Nothing outrageous, no honkin' bug catcher, etc.

Something like these 2 pics that I quickly snooped on the Googs:

1965 Mustang Restomod For Sale

1965 Ford Mustang | Premier Auction

Yeah the numbers matching thing can be a big deal, and there are definitely not as many 64 1/2's running around out there.  

If it's a coupe I personally wouldn't be so worried about the numbers thing unless the car was already in pretty concourse condition, a low production special edition, or that was the direction I was going for restoration.  A V8, disc brakes, power steering, and 3 point belts would be the 4 things I'd do to a car if I was gonna drive it as a semi daily driver.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, ROFL BOX said:

Fuckity fuck-fuck that the LSRU was canceled again, but given the state of infections I'm not actually surprised.

That we would have Longhorn games happening seems equally sketchy & it's not due to a need to use the space for vaxing or testing.

4 cancellations now.  Planning on April 22-23 next year.  

• Rage+1 1

Need some help, guys.  Not for a classic car, but figure most of you would know better than the other threads since y'all actually wrench on yours.

Been traveling for a few months, and came home to find out my truck has a leak in the back glass.  It apparently rained about every other day here while I was gone, and since my wife hates my truck, she never even looked inside it while I was gone.  Anyhow, carpet pad completely soaked to the core, including demoing all the airbag crap that resides on the floor.  So that had to go, of course.  Where I messed up was that I pulled the padding off the back wall, as it was wet (in the corner that leaked), but did it in haste not thinking it thru and ripped it all down.  Could have dried that one out, I fear.  

I cannot for the life of me find the heavy OEM style padding.  Was hoping someone here (lots of carpet replacement in y'alls beautiful rides) would be able to steer me in the right direction.  This stuff was probably 3/4" thick, and obviously worked because my truck is as loud as a damn tractor trailer inside right now.  And not some new fancy one, reminds me of an old day cab Mack truck.  Really don't want dynomat unless I cant find original; I've had mixed results with that in the past.  This shit is LOUD.

Must be my lucky day, I was able to find some replacement material, although not "fitted" as I'd hoped.  But by the yard, will be about $100.   Jute matting is the name of it.

ETA: there's cut to fit kits made for you classic guys.

https://www.jegs.com/p/RESTOPARTS/RESTOPARTS-Under-Carpet-Jute-Sound-Deadener-and-Mats/3621646/10002/-1#

Edited by fattyflattie

Damn, Jute is used everywhere in old cars, behind dashes, package trays, rear seat divider etc. I would never guessed that's what you were looking for based on your description. Glad you found it!

Yeah I’m sure, I just never knew the name for it. Had some other serious stuff on the mind last night and was trying to distract myself with car talk; apologies if it wasn’t clear. Fwiw, I was just going to bed line the inside and call it a day but it was just too loud. I ended up finding some even better stuff after I posted here that’s 1/2” jute, with mastic over it for sound deadening. It’s going in a somewhat worn out diesel truck so any noise I can cancel the better. Now, to pull this back window out and reseal…

4b68482bf3c760e4ccd9ac36285daa62.jpg

25ec9a66f6cd8010d4befcd20ebded68.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Damn, Jute is used everywhere in old cars, behind dashes, package trays, rear seat divider etc. I would never guessed that's what you were looking for based on your description. Glad you found it!

Yeah I’m sure, I just never knew the name for it. Had some other serious stuff on the mind last night and was trying to distract myself with car talk; apologies if it wasn’t clear. Fwiw, I was just going to bed line the inside and call it a day but it was just too loud. I ended up finding some even better stuff after I posted here that’s 1/2” jute, with mastic over it for sound deadening. It’s going in a somewhat worn out diesel truck so any noise I can cancel the better. Now, to pull this back window out and reseal…

4b68482bf3c760e4ccd9ac36285daa62.jpg

25ec9a66f6cd8010d4befcd20ebded68.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk