Classic Car thread

TexasEd

• 3 weeks later...

Got the glass installed today (dated coded Dec of '68) Went ahead and put on the moldings as well. Coming together, still have to figure out the front brakes and why there not bleeding.

Making progress, fixed the drive shaft u joint issue. Installed clutch linkage last weekend and drove her down the driveway and back. Installed the exhaust for good, neighbors are happy it's no longer open headers. Few more weekends of work and it's going to be time for her to stretch her legs and go eat f843eab57668fb2de41e586d2a67a4e7.jpg376c754238a85e4e03ba50b5ec3e2e36.jpg04559d0b37c364c2bf0563dc668f87da.jpg

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

My suburb has a "First Friday" car show during the summer, and yesterday was the last one of the year. Weather was overcast and threatening, so turnout wasn't quite as good as usual - the more modern, sports, and European contingent in particular was underrepresented compared to past events, and while there was still some eclectic shit here and there, it was mostly muscle so I figured I'd post pictures here rather than the New Car thread. It featured a lot of the "hood up" scene, which I am not as into, and I think it makes for lousy photos for the most part... 

Hope nobody minds me bombing the thread - seems like a lot of car shows are still being canceled, so I figured nobody would object.

When I hit the lottery, I think I'll buy a General Lee and paint a rainbow or a Trans Rights or similar flag on the roof. 

20210903_180544.jpg

20210903_180555.jpg

20210903_180738.jpg

20210903_181142.jpg

20210903_181417.jpg

20210903_183128.jpg

20210903_183509.jpg

20210903_184523.jpg

Edited by Prepuce of Doom
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

Buicks. 

I waited for a good while to get a decent shot of the "good vs evil" with my Skylark and the GNX. There were maybe 6-7 GNXs in attendance - kind of strange to see that many. 

A couple dudes I noticed from afar arguing about something to do with my car - didn't make the effort run over to give them any resolution... 

20210903_191026.jpg

20210903_180656.jpg

20210903_181842.jpg

20210903_181907.jpg

20210903_183623.jpg

20210903_183635.jpg

20210903_185400.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I don’t think you mean to say GNX. There were only 547 of those made. Visually the GNX had functional vents in the fenders and a unique turbo heat shield.  Also had unique badges, gauges and rear suspension in addition to turbo and inter cooler upgrades. 
Neat cars

• Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, Lhorn said:

I don’t think you mean to say GNX. There were only 547 of those made. Visually the GNX had functional vents in the fenders and a unique turbo heat shield.  Also had unique badges, gauges and rear suspension in addition to turbo and inter cooler upgrades. 
Neat cars

Ahh, thanks for the clarification. I always just thought that was an abbreviation for Grand National. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/3/2021 at 2:01 PM, Mother mopar said:

Got the glass installed today (dated coded Dec of '68) Went ahead and put on the moldings as well. Coming together, still have to figure out the front brakes and why there not bleeding.

Making progress, fixed the drive shaft u joint issue. Installed clutch linkage last weekend and drove her down the driveway and back. Installed the exhaust for good, neighbors are happy it's no longer open headers. Few more weekends of work and it's going to be time for her to stretch her legs and go eat emoji36.pngf843eab57668fb2de41e586d2a67a4e7.jpg376c754238a85e4e03ba50b5ec3e2e36.jpg04559d0b37c364c2bf0563dc668f87da.jpg

Make sure the brake equalizer is working correctly.  If it has been activated to the front position; it will stop flow that way.  Let us know what you find.

Make sure the brake equalizer is working correctly.  If it has been activated to the front position; it will stop flow that way.  Let us know what you find.
You're on to something as the system pressure wasn't equal. I opened the bleeder on the right rear and front right and pumped the brakes a few times and boom....got fluid through the front lines as the pressure equalized.

Took the car down the block and the front brakes started locking up. What I forgot to do was measure the rod on the brake booster and adjust it to the master cylinder depth. I need roughly 0.030" so I need to do that this week and that should fix that.

The fuel tank is still leaking so I have to drop that and fix the sending unit seal...always something.
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, ROFL BOX said:

Spotted in traffic.

For a state that is apparently on top of things WRT "nope, you cannot have that", how thiamine got through I won't ever know.

Posting 2 pics because this was a difficult one to get.789e3fe759f4095e28d3727111029490.jpgff84c0ae05738a0efd3a6b7413d6d6cb.jpg

You just know he kills with the lay-dees.... Or was that a chicks car ?   Can it be a chicks car ?  Please let it be a chicks car....

On 9/6/2021 at 8:49 PM, XYZ said:

What are some good car shows in or near Austin?

LuckenRod is this Saturday the 11th. I think this year it is 350 vehicles. They will be parking them starting at 8am and awards in the afternoon. It's been sold out for over a month so no day of entries. Live music too, and yes it is in Luckenbach, where Everybody is Somebody.

Headed to the Mecum auction in Dallas, but unfortunately can only go on Saturday. This cuda is crossing the stage on Friday, which I wish I could see. They put a 527 BBC in it pushing 750HP. Love the blue color, but could do without the massive white graphics. What do you think this thing goes for?

spacer.png

https://www.mecum.com/lots/DA0921-466496/1971-plymouth-barracuda-convertible/

so looks like my son wants a 1992-1996 era corvette.

found a few really clean ones, eyeing a 1994 with 35K miles, garage kept, 3 total owners. getting it inspected now.  I understand the 95 or 96 was second gen computers.  so we are looking at the end of gen 1 chips.  any thoughts on these cars?  gas mileage sucks, check. insurance high, check, repair budget discussed, check.  the basics we've discussed but he really wants an older car.  my view is a first car is like a first girlfriend, need to make sure she's smoking hot to set a good precedent.  jk.  I want him to look back and remember fondly.  a camry ain't gonna do that shit, kid wants what he wants.  I'm comfortable making the decision and all it means, really at this point I'm just wondering if I'm missing anything.

6 minutes ago, troph said:

found a few really clean ones, eyeing a 1994 with 35K miles, garage kept, 3 total owners. getting it inspected now.  I understand the 95 or 96 was second gen computers.  so we are looking at the end of gen 1 chips.  any thoughts on these cars?  gas mileage sucks, check. insurance high, check, repair budget discussed, check.  the basics we've discussed but he really wants an older car.  my view is a first car is like a first girlfriend, need to make sure she's smoking hot to set a good precedent.  jk.  I want him to look back and remember fondly.  a camry ain't gonna do that shit, kid wants what he wants.  I'm comfortable making the decision and all it means, really at this point I'm just wondering if I'm missing anything.

I would get him an old F150 for one year, and let him know that if he makes it through that year unscathed the Vette will be his 17th birthday present.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Better to wrap the old f150 around a tree and get that out of the way. Vettes are hard to unwrap from trees.

user name sorta checks out.

he's a pretty careful kid but yeah we talked about wrecking it and he's out a car and maybe more.

he also doesn't want a truck, at all.  and I'm not up for a two cars, I've told him that.  I've got two more boys coming up after him.

counter point - it's only a two seater so when he and his buddies are going somewhere, he's not the driver.  we've had lots of talks about uber, no drinking and driving, smoking and driving, call me, not in trouble for making a good decision after a bad one is made.

Edited by troph

50 minutes ago, troph said:

A vette for a 16 year old ?  Why do you hate your son so much, and want to see him die ?  May be out of line here, but that is not a car for a 16 year old, speaking from experience. My dad had a Datsun 240z .. I drove that when I was 16, and should be posting from the great beyond, but I was lucky..

Get him a beater, and let him learn about cars that way.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

A vette for a 16 year old ?  Why do you hate your son so much, and want to see him die ?  May be out of line here, but that is not a car for a 16 year old, speaking from experience. My dad had a Datsun 240z .. I drove that when I was 16, and should be posting from the great beyond, but I was lucky..

Get him a beater, and let him learn about cars that way.

I was a responsible 16 year old who bought a 5.0L Mustang with my own money.  The last time I saw that car it was

F246680E-7302-45AB-A274-6E923DE6EDBC.gif

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I had a 65 Mustang as my first car. God protecting fools is the only reason I’m here today. And I was an Uber responsible 16 year old. That still didn’t stop me from laying the pedal down too way far and way more often than I should’ve.

It’s like throwing the boy in a whorehouse with a wad of cash and telling him he’s better off investing the cash and taking care of business himself. You both know it’s true, but you also know he’s coming home empty handed.

Take the advice up thread. Get the boy a beater. If he wants something better, he can pay the difference and learn some economic lessons in the process. Also a higher chance of surviving to his twenties.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chris Dishman's Donut said:

Gotta pile on with Team Find a Beater.  Even if he's careful, he doesn't have the instincts around taking the deer or the ditch, how slick roads can be after a light mist, closing speeds etc.  Spend time learning the environment, then maybe do an upgrade at 17 as suggested upthread.

all fair points.  I'm not going the beater route.  and tbqh the price of an old vette isn't that much.  the issues around safety are legit.  it's either a nicer late model sedan or something like this.

anything about the vintage of the car itself?

Edited by troph

<---------- Also Team Beater.  YES, I saw you aren't going 'beater' route.  Still voting that way.  Let them show you they have some respect for the ride, etc.  That long nose on a Vette like that won't allow for much in the way of mistakes.  I had a neighbor across the street who had a similar vintage Vette & it was in flawless shape.  He was a responsible adult who only raced @ the Moroso Motorsports Park in Palm Beach County - never street racing, etc.  That car was hard to handle on controlled environments.

& If my kids can't @ least show me they can change the oil themselves & replace a flat tire, they aren't driving anything.

Get him an F150 & take out the radio & back seats.  Go 6 months without any accidents & the stereo goes back in.  Next birthday, if the truck is accident free, put a bow on the back seats.  More distractions (radio) & kids in a vehicle = higher % of accidents.

2 minutes ago, ROFL BOX said:

<---------- Also Team Beater.  YES, I saw you aren't going 'beater' route.  Still voting that way.  Let them show you they have some respect for the ride, etc.  That long nose on a Vette like that won't allow for much in the way of mistakes.  I had a neighbor across the street who had a similar vintage Vette & it was in flawless shape.  He was a responsible adult who only raced @ the Moroso Motorsports Park in Palm Beach County - never street racing, etc.  That car was hard to handle on controlled environments.

& If my kids can't @ least show me they can change the oil themselves & replace a flat tire, they aren't driving anything.

Get him an F150 & take out the radio & back seats.  Go 6 months without any accidents & the stereo goes back in.  Next birthday, if the truck is accident free, put a bow on the back seats.  More distractions (radio) & kids in a vehicle = higher % of accidents.

it's now a ticketable offense to have more than one person in the car with you while you are age 16-18.

There’s exactly no sense in taking a radio out of something now with smart phones.

4 hours ago, troph said:

CHIEF Jr. has my old 96 Firebird with the same LT1. The distributor is an "optispark" and sits directly under the water pump. Go to a Gen 5 97-2000ish, if you are determined to get him one. That way you get the LS1 with coil per cylinder, like the modern engines of today. It's a 305-320hp car, so about on par with a V6 Camaro, or Mustang today.

CHIEF

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

@troph

Buy him a Camry, Accord, Crown Victoria, Avalon, etc. until he learns to drive. 

A relatively powerful RWD sports car made out of 25 year old fiberglass with antiquated safety technology isn't a sensible thing to do. 

Sensible isn’t really Troph’s thing.  When she decides to do something, she goes big.

I drove a 40th anniversary edit long ago. Fun car but…

The A/C doesn’t work for Texas, and the huge central tunnel makes you rest you legs against it and get carpet sweats. 

If the digital dash, pray it doesn’t break. Impossible to fix or replace. The only other main issues were the electrical system (seemed to eat batteries - which is a pain in the ass to access) and the ever-present cooling issue. Always fighting with part of that system as it just didn’t like 100 degree summer days. 

Starter sucks too, but GM. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

@troph

Buy him a Camry, Accord, Crown Victoria, Avalon, etc. until he learns to drive. 

A relatively powerful RWD sports car made out of 25 year old fiberglass with antiquated safety technology isn't a sensible thing to do. 

While I have every right to force this we went round and round and he just didn’t want the late model panty droppers like the Avalon. I was “this” close to putting him in a Camry. My dad bought me what I wanted so I am predisposed to that approach. 

5 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

Sensible isn’t really Troph’s thing.  When she decides to do something, she goes big.

This guy knows me. Yeah I’ve got a loooooong history of doing wild ass shit. Moose out front shoulda toldya. Haha.

6 hours ago, CHIEF said:

CHIEF Jr. has my old 96 Firebird with the same LT1. The distributor is an "optispark" and sits directly under the water pump. Go to a Gen 5 97-2000ish, if you are determined to get him one. That way you get the LS1 with coil per cylinder, like the modern engines of today. It's a 305-320hp car, so about on par with a V6 Camaro, or Mustang today.

CHIEF

We are aware of the opti spark issue. You get up to $30k for those cars though if they are super clean and low miles.  But this is actually an answer to the question I had. I know the pros and cons mostly cons of a sports car for a first car, my question was really the technical issues. 

Hot car btw …

62898FCD-E19B-4184-B1F2-A978353797EC.jpeg

1137098F-5F15-4C26-B28D-B855FC590CE1.jpeg

Haven’t pulled the trigger yet. Looking at adding this…

https://www.mobileye.com/us/fleets/products/mobileye-shield-plus/

Edited by troph

6 hours ago, CHIEF said:

CHIEF

All of this.  
Also, that one other person in the car rule is a bunch of bullshit.  
eta: I think I know of one guy out of all of them with fast cars that didn’t wreck it.  He was responsible af just straight no personality, very intelligent guy who had a gorgeous ~1999-ish Z28.  ALL the rest of them wrecked, but so did I. Couple of times. 

Edited by fattyflattie