Classic Car thread

TexasEd

On 4/14/2018 at 10:19 AM, Duckman said:

I really loved that car but ended up selling it when I had a chance to get into a C2 - my current '64 Corvette.

YKOsFs7.jpg?2

That is damn fine.  Do you have the 64 vette and the land rover? 

In high school, I bought a 1988 Range Rover for cheap that I loved.  I sold it in college to get a '96 dodge ram, which I regret.   The ram was fine, but I miss that rover

I'm one of those old gassers who prefers his vintage cars in original stock configuration or only slightly modified. Just saw this beautiful '55 last week at Great Hills Automotive  - exterior looks nice even with the aftermarket rims & rearview mirrors, but the interior with buckets & console were a turn off. Being slightly lowered was not very appealing to me either.

50_B832_DD_2368_40_EC_806_B_9_A6_DD14354

Edited by Armybrat
  • Like 1

Well...pulled the trigger on the 69 hemi superbee. Went and chatted with the owner, old nam veteran. He's going to round up all the parts for it. Gonna get moved into my new casa in Florida this week and then come back and pick up the car next month. Here's to long nights in the garage and busted knuckles.

• Like 4

Sheeeiiittt... nice to find this thread.  My '47 Chevy is getting real close to done.  It's in the upholstery shop finishing up tomorrow or Thurs.  Then goes back to the body shop for some finish work that we knew we'd need after doing the LS swap on the motor/tranny.   Maye a week there.  Stereo, wheels and tint will round it out and I'll be done. 

I've had the Mustang my entire life.  In fact, my Dad had it most of his.  He bought it from a friend who'd had it less than 3k miles.  He said the seat covers were still on it.  But that's a whole other story.

When I was born, my parents brought me home from the hospital in it, since it was the family car until 1977 when we got ourselves a (POS) Chevy Caprice Classic.  Then my Dad and I restored it when I was a freshman/sophomore in HS.  I put around 300k on it myself.  Drove it through HS/undergrad/grad school.  It was ready for a redo, which I started when I got my first real job.  Then Chad Jr. came along and well, spending on a collection of metal bits seemed a lot less important.

But I'll get it done.  Really, I'm just down to the interior/wiring harness and all the chrome and other fiddly bits.  But it's that last 10% that take 90% of the time, they say.  I'm sure we'll be driving rocket ships and talking with our minds at that point, but it'll happen come hell or high water.

• Like 3

On 4/24/2018 at 3:15 PM, Chad Fuck said:

But it's that last 10% that take 90% of the time, they say.  I'm sure we'll be driving rocket ships and talking with our minds at that point, but it'll happen come hell or high water.

Very true.  

Mine’s over at the body shop again. Good news is that he can knock out the remaining body work and fix the paint again in one week.   Bad news is that it’s going to cost me about $1k more than expected on account of some shit getting damaged during the engine swap.  News yet to be determined if bad or no big deal is that the wipers and trunk latch still don’t have a clear cut solution.  Should just be a one day deal, but who knows? Oh and we need a solution for the hood. These heavy mofos are a challenge.  

Details are killer.  

On 4/24/2018 at 3:15 PM, Chad Fuck said:

I've had the Mustang my entire life.  In fact, my Dad had it most of his.  He bought it from a friend who'd had it less than 3k miles.  He said the seat covers were still on it.  But that's a whole other story.

When I was born, my parents brought me home from the hospital in it, since it was the family car until 1977 when we got ourselves a (POS) Chevy Caprice Classic.  Then my Dad and I restored it when I was a freshman/sophomore in HS.  I put around 300k on it myself.  Drove it through HS/undergrad/grad school.  It was ready for a redo, which I started when I got my first real job.  Then Chad Jr. came along and well, spending on a collection of metal bits seemed a lot less important.

But I'll get it done.  Really, I'm just down to the interior/wiring harness and all the chrome and other fiddly bits.  But it's that last 10% that take 90% of the time, they say.  I'm sure we'll be driving rocket ships and talking with our minds at that point, but it'll happen come hell or high water.

Gook luck on your car!

Bought a '67 Firebird convertible in high school. My father told me me not to buy it. Did it anyway. Other than playing catch with the football or baseball or going to a game or fishing, that was the closest I ever got to my father. Fixing on that car. We were pals. I remember the seventh spark plug was so torqued into the block but we figured it out - he let me figure it out - and WE DRANK A BEER TOGETHER. Mom was pissed. 

• Like 3

^I'll bet I've had half a dozen people tell me that story about fathers and sons and cars in one form or another.  The car changes, but the idea is the same.  Maybe one day Chad Jr. will help me finish it off.  Then he can go off to school on his hover board.

Edited by Chad Fuck
  • Like 2

My parents had two different early 60s mustangs. Would love to be able to find them, one was a convertible, no telling where or what it looks like now. One of my sons, who will get his license this September would love to drive an old classic like that. Saw a badass Chevelle yesterday in Georgetown.

Chad post some pics.

Edited by RMac5

20 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

^I'll bet I've had half a dozen people tell me that story about fathers and sons and cars in one form or another.  The car changes, but the idea is the same.  Maybe one day Chad Jr. will help me finish it off.  Then he can go off to school on his hover board.

That's how I ended up being a mopar fanatic. My ol man used to take me on rides in a 4 spd green on green 69 roadrunner. I've been bitten with the Mopar fever ever since.

11 minutes ago, RMac5 said:

My parents had two different early 60s mustangs. Would love to be able to find them, one was a convertible, no telling where or what it looks like now. One of my sons, who will get his license this September would love to drive an old classic like that. Saw a badass Chevelle yesterday in Georgetown.

Chad post some pics.

Disc brakes (on the front at least), bucket seats with head rests, a dual master cylinder, and 3 point seat belts, if you love your kid. All bolt on modifications.

Beyond that LED taillights for better visibility, and a steel patch panel between the rear seat and trunk. The gas tank is the floor of the trunk (not a good design), and any rear end collision could send lots of gas from a ruptured tank into the cockpit.

Late to this thread.  Hey Ed, good work on yours.   I had a ‘66 exactly like this, I sold about 20 years ago.   Like selling my old 57 Willy’s, I still regret it.  My first real car.  289, pony interior, A/C that didn’t work and the shittiest power steering ever.

image1-3-930x620.jpg

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag
  • Like 1

I have Wilwood brakes all around and dual master cylinder.  Also have headrests, but on the old seats (re-stuffed/re-covered of course).  Don't have three point seat belts, but may still do that.  I've read a lot about the steel patch between the front and back. Don't have that yet either, but probably will.

Speaking of pics, I have one when my Dad first got the car behind his apartment complex (at the time) on Gaston in Dallas.  The apartment is still there.  I'd like to get a pic in the same spot when I'm done, but at the rate they're building it may be torn down before I make it!

I'll post some pics here eventually.  The resto pics are on another drive.

1 minute ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Late to this thread.  Hey Ed, good work on yours.   I had a ‘66 exactly like this, I sold about 20 years ago.   Like selling my old 57 Willy’s, I still regret it.  My first real car.  289, pony interior, A/C that didn’t work and the shittiest power steering ever.

image1-3-930x620.jpg

This is almost exactly what mine looks like, except it is Vintage Burgundy.  I loved the vinyl top, but it rusted out so bad under there I had to go find a new top, take the old one off and put a new one on.  That was very time consuming and expensive.  So no vinyl top going forward.  Even though it'll live in a garage the rest of its' life, I don't want to go through that process again.

Just now, Chad Fuck said:

This is almost exactly what mine looks like, except it is Vintage Burgundy.  I loved the vinyl top, but it rusted out so bad under there I had to go find a new top, take the old one off and put a new one on.  That was very time consuming and expensive.  So no vinyl top going forward.  Even though it'll live in a garage the rest of its' life, I don't want to go through that process again.

Mine was still in good shape back then. Only thing I have left of it now is, when I changed out the carpet  I pulled out the seats and tore out the old stuff out and found a zippo lighter under the driver seat carpet. Still have that.  

I'm truthfully surprised I didn't hit a speed bump just right and simultaneously drive my head through the roof and then crash the seat down onto pavement.  If I pressed on the headliner in some spots, I could touch the bottom of the vinyl top.  

The son of a bitch was rusty, yo.

Honestly, if I didn't have the familial connection to the car, I would've sold it.  Instead, I've dumped more time and money into than it could possibly warrant otherwise.  On the upside, when I'm done I'm going to have a brand new Mustang with the data plate from the original.

10 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

I have Wilwood brakes all around and dual master cylinder.  Also have headrests, but on the old seats (re-stuffed/re-covered of course).  Don't have three point seat belts, but may still do that.  I've read a lot about the steel patch between the front and back. Don't have that yet either, but probably will.

Speaking of pics, I have one when my Dad first got the car behind his apartment complex (at the time) on Gaston in Dallas.  The apartment is still there.  I'd like to get a pic in the same spot when I'm done, but at the rate they're building it may be torn down before I make it!

I'll post some pics here eventually.  The resto pics are on another drive.

I did new TMI buckets this last winter, damn they make it a much more comfortable ride. Not cheap though $2,400 for a turnkey set of buckets seats, and the related track hardware to install, and the rear seat upholstery you need to install over the original frames.

Definitely do the 3 point belts. Easy bolt in modification with only 1 hole drilled in the upper rear quarter pillar.  Biggest safety feature you can add other than a 68 or later collapsible steering column.

I'm not as sold on the rear patch panel, but it does make for a little more of a quieter ride when you isolate that trunk from the cockpit better.

JR - I remember that Vette.  In fact, I was down on Greenville last night and saw a '72 t-top with the last of the chrome bumpers in the same orange color.  It was gorgeous.

OB - I will likely put in the 3 point belts.  Just haven't gotten around to it.  Factory it didn't have rear seat belts.  My brother and I used to try and slam into each other as we went around corners.  I got knocked in the head more than once by those fucking worthless rear quarter window rollers.  

7 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

JR - I remember that Vette.  In fact, I was down on Greenville last night and saw a '72 t-top with the last of the chrome bumpers in the same orange color.  It was gorgeous.

OB - I will likely put in the 3 point belts.  Just haven't gotten around to it.  Factory it didn't have rear seat belts.  My brother and I used to try and slam into each other as we went around corners.  I got knocked in the head more than once by those fucking worthless rear quarter window rollers.  

The holes are there for standard lap belts, which you need.

1 minute ago, Chad Fuck said:

Rear belts are on the agenda.  Fo sho.  May even weld some D rings back there for a kids booster seat if I can work it out.

3 point front and back is what I've got and you only need 2 extra holes in the floor boards for the 2 back seat 3 pointers.  Took me about an 1hour and a half for the whole job.

The most frustrating and difficult Mustang thing I ever worked on was trying to replace the passenger side window assembly, specifically the rollers.  That damned chrome lined window must have weighed 100lbs.  Almost broke my arm inside the door.  

Damn this thread reminds me how old and lazy I’ve become.  I can’t imagine doing shit like changing out front springs now.  

4 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

The most frustrating and difficult Mustang thing I ever worked on was trying to replace the passenger side window assembly, specifically the rollers.  That damned chrome lined window must have weighed 100lbs.  Almost broke my arm inside the door.  

Damn this thread reminds me how old and lazy I’ve become.  I can’t imagine doing shit like changing out front springs now.  

Getting ready to break down the passenger and driver door window assemblies. Did the rear quarters this past winter.  Not bad, but lots of scraped knuckles working in this tight spaces.

Try taking out the spring assembly from under the dash board on an old Mustang clutch.  That was a 3 week job getting everything apart to install a new hydraulic clutch system.

What was the bitch about it, beyond the weight ?

4 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Getting ready to break down the passenger and driver door window assemblies. Did the rear quarters this past winter.  Not bad, but lots of scraped knuckles working in this tight spaces.

Try taking out the spring assembly from under the dash board on an old Mustang clutch.  That was a 3 week job getting everything apart to install a new hydraulic clutch system.

What was the bitch about it, beyond the weight ?

Doing it by myself without help.  Trying to hold it level and get the folding assembly thing in the right slots

.  This was before the days of YouTube so I was just winging it.  Ended up using 2x4 scraps to prop shit up while I worked. 

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag

Just now, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Doing it by myself without help.  Trying to hold it level and get the folding assembly thing in the right spots.  This was before the days of YouTube so I was just winging it.  Ended up using 2x4 scraps to prop shit up while I worked. 

Oh yeah, You tube videos have been a life saver.

2 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Oh yeah, You tube videos have been a life saver.

I knew I was getting too lazy to keep it up when the heater core sprung a leak.  I looked at how to replace it and just said fuck it, I don’t use it, and pulled the hoses and spliced them together. Then there was the accelerator pump diaphragm that was constantly rotting because of new age gas.  

2 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

I knew I was getting too lazy to keep it up when the heater core sprung a leak.  I looked at how to replace it and just said fuck it, I don’t use it, and pulled the hoses and spliced them together. Then there was the accelerator pump diaphragm that was constantly rotting because of new age gas.  

Heater cores are a bitch, I did one one in my 67 in college.

When I had the engine re built on my latest 65 I had the heater core replaced by my engine guy.  

I haven't re installed the defroster hoses on this car cause it never gets driven if I need a defroster. 

Found this 1913 Model A while driving through my neighborhood. 

20180428_103641_zpsf3fvemyt.jpg

A few years back I took my now 98 year old grandma to a car drive in and we saw a Model A similar to this one and she hopped over as fast as she could because she said that was the first car she ever drove.  Here is a 1929 Model A and my 1919 model grandma.

1929%20Model%20A%20and%20Grandma_zpsguzl

• Like 5

16 hours ago, TexasEd said:

Found this 1913 Model A while driving through my neighborhood. 

20180428_103641_zpsf3fvemyt.jpg

A few years back I took my now 98 year old grandma to a car drive in and we saw a Model A similar to this one and she hopped over as fast as she could because she said that was the first car she ever drove.  Here is a 1929 Model A and my 1919 model grandma.

1929%20Model%20A%20and%20Grandma_zpsguzl

My wife's grandfather was a model A fanatic. He was a member of the model A club in Oklahoma and he owned several of them over his 95 years. He had one left in storage at my mother-in-law's garage when he died about 18 months ago. She sold it a few months later, it was a sad day. This one was a 1929 as well.

iUcvy6S.jpg

Edited by Sandman