Classic Car thread

TexasEd

Here's a few for you MOPAR. The charger was the most evil car out there in an event with a lot of beautiful cars.  All blacked out except for the nose trim, and the wheels.  Gorgeous black paint job.

I don't think I like the interior, it doesn't pull any black inside, and seems so different in style for the body (too sci fi looking for my taste), but damn it was pretty.  Asking $85K I believe.

IMG_6121%202_zpst96ez7qb.jpg

IMG_6122_zpstdifa8md.jpg

IMG_6120_zpscw7hfi21.jpg

IMG_6081_zpslygddziu.jpg

IMG_6080_zpsfgwtnd80.jpgIMG_6072_zpswok7folm.jpg

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

I've always disliked the Thunderbird, but I agree that's a good looking example. 

The versions that got boat like yeah. The later 2 seaters that grew the big tail fins, spare tire on the rear bumper, and the porthole windows look gimmicky and trendy IMO.   The earlier no tail fin cars are really really classically beautiful. The proportions and lines are stunning.  

It was sitting next to two 57's and it was by far the prettier of the 3 cars. I really dig the Euro look body, the triple black paint, and interior didn't hurt.

Edited by Onboard 2.0

3 minutes ago, Mach 1 said:

Oh man, I want that '52 Ford F2.  Wow.

The '69 Mustang fastback has an unfortunate paint job.  No need for those dumb silver stripes.

Looks like a cool show, thanks for posting.

I'd agree about the paint job. The were a boat load of great looking older pickups out there.  

They had 3 new chargers giving drift rides to anybody who cared to ride along for a couple laps. Pretty damned fun 4 day show, even with a half day rain out.

This boat and old timey SUV were as stunning as anything I saw out there.  The truck is a maple body with maple door panels and interior detailing. The boat was a Crusse craft.  Never heard of the brand but at about 30' long it was the original cigarette boat prototype.

IMG_6052_zps5u6yxn7m.jpg

IMG_6064_zpskzvehip5.jpg

IMG_6056_zpsjnf0ay4p.jpg

IMG_6062_zpsvslfh55z.jpg

IMG_6055_zpsik3y6d8k.jpg

IMG_6059_zpsfipyjc6z.jpg

Best station wagon

IMG_6192_zpsirknhrd8.jpg

There was an entire corral of older Scouts

IMG_6180_zpsqt5o8tuv.jpg

Wheelhouse, but not at $40k

IMG_6193_zpsbryur4bt.jpg

Edited by Onboard 2.0

10 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Chris Craft*

They make beautiful boats.

8f6bf3b7d85aff11a2bbad438fdbfe5e.jpg

41045f260a016f0eec3500dfea38bfb0.jpg

a250def5ee387aee25f9ee3d905c5f67.jpg

42d061dd6cc8d72b1191d5f609750917.jpg

No, actually a brand called Crusse Craft.   You can see the name on a couple of the stern pics, and the cockpit pic, I thought it was a Chris Craft at first (unless somebody re branded it for some reason). I know from boats a little, been around them most of my life.  The grandparents used to spend their weekends on a 1960's 35' Chris Craft cabin cruiser, on the Potomac river. It was teak and mahogany from stem to stern, with twin chevy 350's.

Edited by Onboard 2.0

Just now, Mother mopar said:

The super bird looks very nice. I think black on muscle cars looks like stellar but damn black is a hard color to paint and keep clean. Thanks for posting.

I remember back in the day, early 70's, a guy had a brand new orange Super B in the neighborhood.  Loved the big orange Wing, and the horn button with the Road Runner.

I  don't think that black car sees the light of day much, so it stays pretty clean and the paint job was amazing.  It had. crowds around it most of the days we were there. They bought it on Meckum less than a year ago I think.

• Like 1

On 4/13/2019 at 1:08 PM, Prepuce of Doom said:

I've always disliked the Thunderbird, but I agree that's a good looking example. 

I really like the 54-57.  Then again, the 61-63 "bullet" bodied ones are beauties as well.  My Dad owned one and he said something broke on it every couple of weeks.  So he sold it and bought a Bug. 

7 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

So I was perusing this thread this weekend and checking out Onboard's pics, and Chad Jr. lays this one on me: "Daddy, why do old cars look so much cooler than new cars?"  

We haven't yet made it to the New Car thread, but I like where his head's at.

That's just a straight shooter, with upper management written all over him.

• Like 1

Yea I don’t know that I consider it classic either. But for some reason I just like that one.

Would have never expected a 5 speed in that car.

That 110hp 260 V8 is so 70’s. A modern LS swap could be what it needs.

2 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Yea I didn’t know that I consider it classic either. But for some reason I just like that one.

Would have never expected a 5 speed in that car.

The 5 speed must be after market.  That post oil embargo time was a sad time for American automobiles.  It took the SUV  craze to bring about a sort of renaissance.  I like that some of the newer cars are looking back to the 60's and before for some of their design cues.

1 hour ago, tbone_ said:

This is cool too

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1970-mercury-marauder/

BaT with some interesting stuff lately

That car is all kinds of awesome. Comments section pretty interesting also.  Never heard of the Marauder before so I pulled out my Ford shop manual, and nope, not on there.  But some other blasts from the past are.

46976629394_0b041a3d8e_c.jpg

On 5/9/2018 at 10:54 AM, Armybrat said:

Guess mine is a "classic" in the making - don't see many 2 door Cherokees around. Recently rolled 94,000 miles - bought it new in October 1999:

AABF9773_76_AA_4_F02_B8_BA_FFB3_D3_FA6_B

Just rolled 95,500 on my Jeep one year later. Better slow down, as I don’t want to run the wheels off of it.

• Like 1

Took the running horse and coral out of the 65 Mustang grille today. That Leaves just GT fog lights, and a soon to be installed, off center,  running horse fender emblem. I like the cleaner blacked out grille look.   Everyone knows it's a Mustang without the huge horse in the grille.

Pics too follow once the emblem arrives, and is installed next week.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Mother mopar said:

4.0 Straight 6?

Yep, last of the Stone Age MoPar engines. Totally reliable, 16 mpg/city, 21/ hiway.  Good torque & pickup. That’s why I went ahead and bought it until waiting for the V6 the next year. Would not trade it even for a new model.

Yep, last of the Stone Age MoPar engines. Totally reliable, 16 mpg/city, 21/ hiway.  Good torque & pickup. That’s why I went ahead and bought it until waiting for the V6 the next year. Would not trade it even for a new model.
They are great little torque monsters and can handle a little abuse. Good on ya for keeping it 20years, enjoy it for another 20 years.