Classic Car thread

TexasEd

That car is all kinds of awesome. Comments section pretty interesting also.  Never heard of the Marauder before so I pulled out my Ford shop manual, and nope, not on there.  But some other blasts from the past are.
46976629394_0b041a3d8e_c.jpg

The Marauder X100 wasn’t really a separate model but a fastback Marquis with a shorter wheelbase, stiffer springs, and a 429.

Basically an absolute beast, a Des Moines Class heavy cruiser.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mother mopar said:

Top is one, left her on the trailer in the sun for the day to heat up the top. The heat should work out a couple small bubbles. Once it shrinks to size I can trim the edges and hang trim. ea8de17d7910d5a5987477d8f6816139.jpg

Those wheels are just rollers and not my final wheel/tire combo.

I wouldn't imagine anything other than period stock or period optional wheels based on how you've been proceeding so far.

Just about finished with DiY restoration of my 1992 BMW 318ic.. could use some touch ups and a suspension refresh but she still drives like a dream with the 5 speed manual gearboxxxx.  Don't believe I have posted about it on new site.  

I think this car is the inspiration for the expression "i'd rather drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow..." 

7KNFjh8.jpg?1

• Like 3

6 hours ago, kangsta said:

Just about finished with DiY restoration of my 1992 BMW 318ic.. could use some touch ups and a suspension refresh but she still drives like a dream with the 5 speed manual gearboxxxx.  Don't believe I have posted about it on new site.  

I think this car is the inspiration for the expression "i'd rather drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow..." 

7KNFjh8.jpg?1

Slow car fast, eh? I guess it's cool to talk about my '94 Miata in this thread now???

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Picture is borked. 

not sure what happened. Miss my old free photobucket..

will try again.

(edit, after messing with it, the original seems to work again.)

Edited by kangsta

On the way to the glass place this morning and during a turn I hit a bump and the back glass that was temporarily taped into the back channel flew out and shattered all over the highway. I've trailered the car across 4 states like that numerous times and this time it cost me. So I'll be on hold until I can find a dated back glass. Mad at myself but luckily it was just glass and the driver behind me wasn't harmed.

21 hours ago, tbone_ said:

That’s cool. Spill the details.

Ok, since you asked. I was fortunate to get the engine in pretty good shape in 2016, had been “rebuilt” sometime about 5 years before I got it I am told.  Unfortunately I got zero service records.   But the cloth interior was shredded after 25 years and the driver seat frame cracked in half; the convertible top was totally shot; windshield was cracked, almost all of the black trim was cracked and faded; half the lights in dash and instrument panel didn’t work, odometer didn’t work; shit broken everywhere pretty much.. And the clutch failed on me about a week after I got it.  So it took some time as I was learning on the fly and still have never taken into a mechanic other than new windshield (knock on wood). 

2016-

New wheel caps;

New windshield;

Removed aftermarket window tint;

Replaced brake light switch;

Replaced all rear bumper trim/molding

Replaced convertible top release handle

Replaced antenna grommet.

Replaced the two hydraulic clutch cylinders (one by pedals and one under car on transmission); slave and master. (pain in the ass).  

Replaced illumination bulbs in instrument/guage cluster

Replaced illumination bulbs behind HVAC controls.

Replaced engine spark plug cover.

Replaced Oil pan gasket

Re-finished cowls below windshield;

Replaced right passenger windshield wiper damper ring ;

Removed and Re-finished headlight grills on both sides

New low beam headlight bulbs;

Replaced trunk lift supports gaskets with Stabilus version.

December 2016- Replaced convertible soft top (my biggest accomplishment/project by far)

2017-

January- Replaced power antenna unit in trunk with new Unit   

March 2017- Replaced odometer gears to repair busted odometer; .

New spark plugs;

replaced trim panel covers in rear left and right (piece with cover flap on hinge)

Replaced convertible top lift supports x2.

April 2017- Replaced rear left bumper trim; replaced headlight knob.

April 2017- Replaced rear window seals/weather stripping, inside and out, left and right

2018-

Spring 2018- Replaced engine belts (Continental Brand) A/c belt, alternator, power steering.

New Battery;

Summer 2018- replaced whole interior- rear seats, front seats, rear trim panel, door cards and handles.  Refurbished from guy on eBay.  Original Interior was cloth, new is Vinyl.  

2019- Clean Repair and paint kidney grilles in front. 

Just recently did a coolant flush and changed oil and oil filter and air filter (previous air filter had June 2012 written on it, yikes).

2 hours ago, Mother mopar said:

On the way to the glass place this morning and during a turn I hit a bump and the back glass that was temporarily taped into the back channel flew out and shattered all over the highway. I've trailered the car across 4 states like that numerous times and this time it cost me. So I'll be on hold until I can find a dated back glass. Mad at myself but luckily it was just glass and the driver behind me wasn't harmed.

Damn, that's a shame! 

Edited by kangsta

Who knows, the video is labeled LS6. Doesn't look like the cowl flapper works...
Hi lift, solid lifter big blocks with rectangular ports, like the LS6, aren't going to idle very clean (if that's what it is).

Yeah. That sounded a lot like the 454 I had in my camaro. .629” solid lift cam. Made some funky music.

Stoopid things I did this week on my car.

• Couldn't get it to crank.  Checked the battery, jumped it across the starter solenoid and was ready to test the ignition cylinder when a buddy says, "did you make sure the neutral safety switch is working".  Had my kids in the car and they must have played with the shifter. It was still in park but not in the sweet spot.  When I was 16 I would have checked that first.
  • Could not get the squeak out of my alternator belt.  Kept trying to tighten the alternator up.  I finally got it outside in the sun where I saw the belt was on the balancer/timing marks and not on the crank pulley. 
  • Like 2

https://www.automobilemag.com/news/porsche-speedster-911-history-generations-photos/?wc_mid=4035:16697&wc_rid=4035:31722704&_wcsid=774F7E068D8EC8BA9E30488F2FF235680B82980DF4C415D4

Cool little story here about the history of the Porsche Speedster.

On a side note, I took my old (1998) cabriolet out yesterday for a nice spin. Got a thumbs up from a guy in a GT3. I also saw an Avanti on the highway.

• Like 1

Stoopid thing #3

• I had not locked the car in forever.  It's been in my garage.  I took my wife to the local icehouse to hang out and we locked it.  The keys I had with me did not unlock it.  I needed an extra one at home.  I forgot the ignition key did not match the doors anymore.
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, TexasEd said:

Stoopid thing #3

• I had not locked the car in forever.  It's been in my garage.  I took my wife to the local icehouse to hang out and we locked it.  The keys I had with me did not unlock it.  I needed an extra one at home.  I forgot the ignition key did not match the doors anymore.

Gotta love companies that did that.  Since you mentioned it I remember several cars growing up that had that "feature".

You gotta admit it’s kind of dope for a non Mopar though. You don’t see many 400 4spd convertible Firebirds.
For sure, I love old school muscle cars regardless of manufacturer. It's even more fun if it's a stick car. Put some good flowing heads and a nice bumpstick and that 400 will scream!

9” housing built and 4 link built, both finally arrived. One “check” off the endless list. 4 link pictured isn’t mine but exactly like it by the same people just minus shocks. I’ll be replacing the heim joints with Johnny Joints, too.

d82f950bcc2a2a47cce13e2ca99d74b1.jpgbede90d64a2587c5da9c6a03b4dc25de.jpg70bac0167ecd832b356286ac6d343e05.jpg

1882ebc8adb03c5bc9ca23ef779f4a59.jpg

c5f006a64cbee951c9b4ad0bfe4ebc28.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Lhorn said:

That’s a pretty serious rear end/suspension. Bravo. Who makes it?  Doesn’t look particularly narrow....you tubbing it? 

Quick Performance on the rear housing, Martz Chassis on the 4 Link, I had the housing built and shipped to Martz so they could jig up and weld their brackets for their 4 Link.   Factory width on the housing is 61” wheel mount surface to wheel mount surface, this is 53” naked, once Aerospace components go on with appropriate rotor hub back space it’s 58” which allows me to tuck a fat mini tub setup in there.  I didn’t want a full tub car, I want my backseat still there, the backseat frame will have to be narrowed 2” but the original size seat covers will still fit. 

Dana 60 pulled out and on the workbench for a refresh. Going to change out seals and bearing to "greens" for longevity. Then I'll sand it all prime, and paint it. Have all new parts for the drum brakes, brackets, new emergency brake cables along with brake lines and wheel cylinders. She should run great!4c3709d5b2027023d0762cec6b863521.jpg

• Like 1

First off...that's whats up, nice ride. Love it, E bodies are fairly easy, some parts are 1yr only for 70, buckets seat brackets, console etc but the market is growing daily with high quality parts.

Never lived in central texas but if you have a hint of mechanical ability you can do all those things in a day, easy. Fuel pump is 2 bolts and a push rod (most the time they stay in), 2 hose clips and bueno... done. If it has a flat tappet cam run quality old dino oil with high ZDDP or you'll flatten a cam lube over time....raise hand. Brad Penn racing oil is great stuff, Joe Gibbs racing also make a great oil for old school muscle.

2 hours ago, Mother mopar said:

First off...that's whats up, nice ride. Love it, E bodies are fairly easy, some parts are 1yr only for 70, buckets seat brackets, console etc but the market is growing daily with high quality parts.

Never lived in central texas but if you have a hint of mechanical ability you can do all those things in a day, easy. Fuel pump is 2 bolts and a push rod (most the time they stay in), 2 hose clips and bueno... done. If it has a flat tappet cam run quality old dino oil with high ZDDP or you'll flatten a cam lube over time....raise hand. Brad Penn racing oil is great stuff, Joe Gibbs racing also make a great oil for old school muscle.

I'm 9/10 with technology and 4/10 with a wrench.  I can build a computer from scratch and configure a database, but while I understand most of the mechanical systems I just don't have a ton of hands on experience with them, so my confidence isn't as high, although I can follow instructions as good as anyone.  Is there an old shop manual for these somewhere?  Mostly I want an experienced wrench to give it a once over for stuff I won't know to look for.

I think the fuel pump was swapped out for an electronic one during prior work.  Going to have to look around and see...

Original seats/carpet?  If so it's possible the factory build sheet might still be in there.

Good call, check the back bench seat I've found majority of mine there. Could also be tapped to top of glove box, in the headliner, or as grippe said inside the bucket seat backs.