Classic Car thread

TexasEd

So my ‘96 Mustang Cobra needs about $4K worth of work and that’s probably not too far from what it’s worth. Complicating things is that the intake manifold runner control valves have failed so it won’t pass emissions, and the fix is to delete them which means I’ll lose some power forever. So it’s not like I can spend the money and have the car back to like-new condition. Oh and that’s before figuring out what’s wrong with the air conditioning. 

I’m trying to decide if I should just get rid of it and get something else. Wife has always wanted a Jeep. Anyone ever let go of an old convertible and regretted it?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

So my ‘96 Mustang Cobra needs about $4K worth of work and that’s probably not too far from what it’s worth. Complicating things is that the intake manifold runner control valves have failed so it won’t pass emissions, and the fix is to delete them which means I’ll lose some power forever. So it’s not like I can spend the money and have the car back to like-new condition. Oh and that’s before figuring out what’s wrong with the air conditioning. 

I’m trying to decide if I should just get rid of it and get something else. Wife has always wanted a Jeep. Anyone ever let go of an old convertible and regretted it?

If the car is your daily driver you will hate the Jeep before too long.

• Like 1

Any of you found a reputable car insurance for your classic that doesn't require it to be parked in a closed/locked garage? We're moving to a townhome in N. Virginia that only has dedicated off-street (alley access) parking, no garage and not many affordable storage options nearby. USAA and Liberty Mututal both require my '73 to be in a garage or the underwriter won't sign the policy (they even require pictures of the garage). 

8 minutes ago, Born a Longhorn said:

Any of you found a reputable car insurance for your classic that doesn't require it to be parked in a closed/locked garage? We're moving to a townhome in N. Virginia that only has dedicated off-street (alley access) parking, no garage and not many affordable storage options nearby. USAA and Liberty Mututal both require my '73 to be in a garage or the underwriter won't sign the policy (they even require pictures of the garage). 

Good luck with that. And if you do find one I'd be dubious of the quality.

Heading out the 50th anniversary of Apollo car show in Huntsville. It will literally be in shadow from the Saturn 5 at Space and Rocker center. Supposed to be a sampling of cars from that era - which is much better than a sampling of cars driven by the actual rocket scientists. Most of them gave the nice car to the wife and their selection was always a little odd because they were engineers.  Plus it was a pecking order with original NASA access badges that were like bumper stickers on the front and rear bumpers. Early employees had very low numbers (like 000010) and some people kept cars for years because they had a very low number access badge.

Edited by AUinHsv

15 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

If it's not a daily driver, have you looked into private garage storage in your area? Depending on where you live, you're probably not the only car guy with a similar predicament.

Could be a least-worst option to investigate. 

Yep probably not that hard to find a storage facility for a $100 or so a month.

Try Hagerity Insurance, they only deal with older cars and they have great customer service. I have blanket policy on my superbee and it's nice. They will ask for a few pictures to verify the condition of the car, truck floor, engine, interior and few body shot.

I've used them for every collector car I've owned. They can be expensive but insurance isn't a service I'm looking to save money on.

7 minutes ago, AUinHsv said:

Heading out the 50th anniversary of Apollo car show in Huntsville. It will literally be in shadow from the Saturn 5 at Space and Rocker center. Supposed to be a sampling of cars from that era - which is much better than a sampling of cars driven by the actual rocket scientists. Most of them gave the nice car to the wife and their selection was always a little odd because they were engineers.

Hell, that should be  muscle car Nirvanna !!

Just now, Mother mopar said:

Try Hagerity Insurance, they only deal with older cars and they have great customer service. I have blanket policy on my superbee and it's nice. They will ask for a few pictures to verify the condition of the car, truck floor, engine, interior and few body shot.

I've used them for every collector car I've owned. They can be expensive but insurance isn't a service I'm looking to save money on.

Yep Haggerty is great, and you can set the value for pay back on total losses to an extent I believe (the wife is our insurance pro here).

Well here goes - sorry (not really) for the bandwidth but I did shrink the pics.  This was the 50th Anniversary of Apollo 11 Car Show at the Space and Rocket Center in Huntsville. Probably 75-100 cars and it was hot as blazes. As an aside the director of the Space and Rocker Center gave a little speech about a car she had bought from a NASA manager. It was a family that my parents knew since the 60's. They lived together on same neighborhood in Ft Worth and moved the Huntsville with NASA at the same time in early 60's. I grew up knowing them forever. The manager also was one of the longest serving at NASA that I knew - I think he was there for almost 50 years.

Pictures- 

I mentioned it was in shadow of Saturn V - this is actually a replica. The real one is inside

spacer.png

More - I spent too much time arranging and could not edit

Yep - it was related to NASA

spacer.png

The British came strongspacer.png

This was the an MGA similar to mine except it is almost perfect. Also the first one I have seen in Dove Grey

bspacer.png

Several others

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Mustangs

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Chevy's

spacer.png

spacer.png

Just for Mother Mopar

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

and finally I mentioned the NASA bumper decal required to get on post and how people held onto cars with low numbers

spacer.png

Edited by AUinHsv
  • Like 5

8 hours ago, Mother mopar said:

Time for a crate motor and some more HP. If you drive fast enough, no need for AC my man. Real muscle cars dont have AC anyway. emoji869.png

Well shit, I'm torn.  I'm a month or so away from either installing a Classic Air system or passing.  Since it's summer I'm leaning A/C, but then I think nah, I'll probably just be driving on weekend mornings anyway ... flip of the coin.

Made a couple bids on a BAT auction for a 68 convertible yesterday.  Didn't hit reserve @ <20k.  Couldn't justify bidding higher sight unseen and with transport from NY. This one didn't hit reserve either. It can be had for 30k in H town if anyone is interested in what looks to be a pretty solid and Bronco pickup. Can't see that money imo, but it seems like a fair price given the market around Broncos.

1971_ford_bronco_1560444899d208495dIMG_0

Edited by Anastasis

On 7/13/2019 at 4:14 PM, AUinHsv said:

More - I spent too much time arranging and could not edit

Yep - it was related to NASA

spacer.png

The British came strongspacer.png

This was the an MGA similar to mine except it is almost perfect. Also the first one I have seen in Dove Grey

bspacer.png

Several others

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Mustangs

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Chevy's

spacer.png

spacer.png

Just for Mother Mopar

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

and finally I mentioned the NASA bumper decal required to get on post and how people held onto cars with low numbers

spacer.png

It was so cool when all cars did not look very much alike.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

It was so cool when all cars did not look very much alike.

It was also cool to order what you wanted not what they wanted to sell. A lot of under 30 folks might not know/realize that you could take the order list and pick and choose what you wanted. Dad didn't do this on his early 70's Camaro but someone wanted a V8, white seats, auto with shifter on column, AC and I think something like power locks and vinyl top.

43 minutes ago, AUinHsv said:

It was also cool to order what you wanted not what they wanted to sell. A lot of under 30 folks might not know/realize that you could take the order list and pick and choose what you wanted. Dad didn't do this on his early 70's Camaro but someone wanted a V8, white seats, auto with shifter on column, AC and I think something like power locks and vinyl top.

Our local car club does ride alongs. We go to events and encourage folks to take laps around the event with them us old cars that different car members own. It's great that kids get to see old cars. Hopefully it encourages that one kid to become a car designer, and take us back to great design again.

On 7/16/2019 at 6:08 PM, Onboard 2.0 said:

Our local car club does ride alongs. We go to events and encourage folks to take laps around the event with them us old cars that different car members own. It's great that kids get to see old cars. Hopefully it encourages that one kid to become a car designer, and take us back to great design again.

I like some of the retro styling like Mustang and especially Challenger - however I really wish someone would scrap the idea that the front and rear have to be plastic and go full retro with chrome bumpers. And  i know it ain't gonna happen because of CAFE and pedestrian safety but I absolutely hate plastic ends on cars.

34 minutes ago, AUinHsv said:

I like some of the retro styling like Mustang and especially Challenger - however I really wish someone would scrap the idea that the front and rear have to be plastic and go full retro with chrome bumpers. And  i know it ain't gonna happen because of CAFE and pedestrian safety but I absolutely hate plastic ends on cars.

Preaching to the choir 

I don’t have one yet. My father had a 69 t-bird which looked ghetto as hell, but had an awesome paint job. I learned a lot on that car, and now have the budget and space to get a classic car myself. It won’t be a t-bird, but I’m getting very excited for the auctions coming to Dallas in the next month or so.

My checklist is American so I can work on it and find parts when it breaks, convertible, v8, manual transmission and room for 4 people. I’m thinking mustang just because there are so damn many, they are cheaper, but who knows. I’m getting something though damn it. It is my motivation to clean out and organize the the garage over the next few weeks

• Like 3

I don’t have one yet. My father had a 69 t-bird which looked ghetto as hell, but had an awesome paint job. I learned a lot on that car, and now have the budget and space to get a classic car myself. It won’t be a t-bird, but I’m getting very excited for the auctions coming to Dallas in the next month or so.

My checklist is American so I can work on it and find parts when it breaks, convertible, v8, manual transmission and room for 4 people. I’m thinking mustang just because there are so damn many, they are cheaper, but who knows. I’m getting something though damn it. It is my motivation to clean out and organize the the garage over the next few weeks

I have a 68 Firebird convertible I’d sell. 5 speed. 400 motor.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Paint job is already done via the cantina look. That could be a nice little ride with a few grand and a LS swap.

Indeed, have a few more pics. 1967 Chevy original barn find 67 camper special. Has a V8 motor with original granny transmission —surface rust only, even the door step plates are original and not rusty.
Comes with new seat,new carpet,new Dash and front bumper.

Posted for my dad on Facebook market and Craigslist, any other good places to post?