Classic Car thread

TexasEd

I love the 67-69 Firebirds, they have a sexier shape than Camaros and are less common.  When we see one at a car show I have the kids search for how many Firebird logos they can count on the car.

That’s kind of what I always thought. And I always sort of dug Pontiac back in the day. Which is why I bought one. Plus they are cheaper than Camaros.

2 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

That’s kind of what I always thought. And I always sort of dug Pontiac back in the day. Which is why I bought one. Plus they are cheaper than Camaros.

That's crazy to me.  Aren't the production numbers way way lower than the camaro?

Never looked up pricing but surprised they're cheaper.  I like the 1st gens but love the 2nds.  My guess is that the rarest to find are the early 70's firebirds....you just hardly ever see them at all.

Tits on the hood

608535.jpg

I've always wanted to do a mashup of a '75 rear with a 70-73 front.  I just like the rear window better on the post '74s.  Also like the interiors of them better as well.  You would think it would be just a matter of bolting on some different front end valance and upper header since the fenders are the same for all 11 years.  Pretty sure there needs to be a rework on the radiator housing because they don't line up to the frame the same....

Edited by mulletpelini
wishful thinking.
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, mulletpelini said:

Never looked up pricing but surprised they're cheaper.  I like the 1st gens but love the 2nds.  My guess is that the rarest to find are the early 70's firebirds....you just hardly ever see them at all.

Tits on the hood

608535.jpg

That's not just any Firebird, that's a Formula 400.

Going thru all the shit in our house as we get it ready to sell, and came across this pic of my first mustang 1967, 289 auto. circa 84.

I'd just finished having it painted, and the engine re built.  I went with the GT stripe instead of the chrome rocker panel, and added wire wheels.

FullSizeRender-152.jpg

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Nice looking car. You could pick those up for a song in 84 iirc.

Not to show my age but in the late 70's I remember seeing newspaper ads for 65-67 Mustangs - average about 500 bucks. Always wondered what the details were - wondering if any had a 390 at that price or just 6 cylinders and the "economy 289"

13 minutes ago, AUinHsv said:

Not to show my age but in the late 70's I remember seeing newspaper ads for 65-67 Mustangs - average about 500 bucks. Always wondered what the details were - wondering if any had a 390 at that price or just 6 cylinders and the "economy 289"

Around here you couldn't find one in good condition for $500 in the early 80's. Even a 6 cylinder would have been around $800 or so. This car was super clean w/ 53k original miles. All the stickers were in place, the owners manual was there, the carpet, and upholstery were pristine, center console.

A 390 would have been very rare indeed. Typically you only saw those in places like Colorado because of the high altitude, and mountains or someone special ordered for the big HP.

59 minutes ago, TexasEd said:

I got my 69 Fastback Mustang in 1985 for a song.  It belonged to my 70+ year old neighbor across the street and was just a 16 year old car.

69's were a much bigger car than even the 67-68's.  They weren't really as pretty IMO,  too fat, the proportions were all weird.

The 69's were never as sought after as much as the 65-68's.   The 69's eventually morphed into the Boss, and Mach series I believe, which I like more now than I did back in the 70's, 80's, and 90's.

That's why I dig the new body style, they've gone back to the 66-67 "pony" body/shelby types for inspiration.

Still, as a car for a 16 year old  ??  Hell yeah !!

I'm biased obviously, I like the "muscle" look of the fastback 69/70 over all others. Only real difference between the two is a slightly more aggressive look on the 69 with the rear quarter panel scooped and 4 headlight vs 2 on the 70  - otherwise same car.

The 69/70 isn't nearly as big in the garage as I expected it to be.  It looks much bigger when compared to the 68, but in reality it's only 4 inches longer and 1 inch wider.  Can't go wrong the 68 though, also a badass car.  71-73 makes my eyes bleed.

I paid $13k for mine, delivered, running but needing a full restoration.  Decent deal from what I saw after 2 years of looking.

• Like 1

Interior: 65-66 before the gov't made 'em pad everything 67.

Body 67,68 those sub-tle reverse hood scoops on the 60's models made me hard, still do.  Convertible or fastback

Body part II 2018, 2019. Man they're sexy as hell, fastback over the convertible all day.

Gimme a 65, '66 convertible or fastback,  68 cobra jet convertible or a 2019 GT Fastback.

Edited by Onboard 2.0

7 minutes ago, Mach 1 said:

I'm biased obviously, I like the "muscle" look of the fastback 69/70 over all others. Only real difference between the two is a slightly more aggressive look on the 69 with the rear quarter panel scooped and 4 headlight vs 2 on the 70  - otherwise same car.

The 69/70 isn't nearly as big in the garage as I expected it to be.  It looks much bigger when compared to the 68, but in reality it's only 4 inches longer and 1 inch wider.  Can't go wrong the 68 though, also a badass car.  71-73 makes my eyes bleed.

I paid $13k for mine, delivered, running but needing a full restoration.  Decent deal from what I saw after 2 years of looking.

I grew up seeing the first pony cars so they've always been my favorite. I didn't like the Mach or Boss series when they came out because they weren't the smaller, sleek, sled like Mustangs I grew up with. I didn't like the bigger body or the hard push into muscle car territory. I've come around a lot on those early 70's cars though.

26 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Interior: 65-66 before the gov't made 'em pad everything 67.

Body 67,68 those sub-tle reverse hood scoops on the 60's models made me hard, still do.  Convertible or fastback

Body part II 2018, 2019. Man they're sexy as hell, fastback over the convertible all day.

Gimme a 65, '66 convertible or fastback,  68 cobra jet convertible or a 2019 GT Fastback.

Definitely on the interior you are right.  The styling of the 68 is superior, with the exception of the reflectors.  I had both a 67 and 68 previous to the current 68, and can appreciate both but maybe have a slight lean to the clean panels on the 67. The hood blinkers were optional in 67 but I believe standard in 68. I really wanted a fastback, but the prices are too ridiculous for me to stomach.  I probably paid 10% more than I should have on the convertible, but after more than a few years of looking said fuck it an pulled the trigger.  Of course, the same week the market collapsed and I think people would be willing to take a hair cut on their asking price cause nothing is going to move for a while.  Such it is. I like things in twos, so maybe I can convince the wife not to divorce me if I add a cheap fastback while the world burns.

Edited by Anastasis

1 minute ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Hard to beat those 65-68 fastbacks, unless the sun is shining, it's 70 degrees, and you're driving along a winding coastal road... with the top down.

sigh.  eventually they will open the title and registration tax offices in Texas. 

Serious question: How much of a risk would I be running to swap plates with one of my other cars and take a cruise down hamilton pool road. 

Just now, Anastasis said:

sigh.  eventually they will open the title and registration tax offices in Texas. 

Serious question: How much of a risk would I be running to swap plates with one of my other cars and take a cruise down hamilton pool road. 

You have insurance on the vehicle ?  Then it's a fine, but not sure how serious it is.

No plates is a guarantee to get pulled over. Like I said, I’d do it.

Shit I had a motorcycle in college that wouldn’t pass inspection so I had to continually steal the little license plate holders that had valid inspection stickers on them. Never had and issue.

• Like 1

Third on don’t go no plates.  I bought a used car many years ago and the owner insisted on removing the plates.  This was pre everyone getting hit with massive toll tag bills after the fact, so it caught me a little off guard.   Got pulled over twice on the drive home.  Went down to the tax office the next day. 

aren't the tags for your vintage cars marked as such?  In KS the tags are completely different from non vintage.

Never been a Ford guy, just mostly Chevy and more recently Dodge.....although I do drive an F150 mostly.

I never really like the "basic" mustang style, always thought it looked girly.

the fastbacks are another story.  67/68 they got beefier though and by 69 thought those were the best.

54 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

In AZ it’s only if you buy a “classic” plate. You can put a regular plate on no problem.

In Va. you have the choice of regular tags or a fucking ugly, brownish orange one that looks like shit on any classic car you put it on.  Cars have to be 20 years old to qualify for the vintage tags.

I opted for original issue 1965 Virginia tags, white with black lettering.  There are restrictions with those tags about maximum mileage, how it's used, etc. but I don't know how they'd really check that.

Hells yes. And og plates too. 

I’ve always wanted a mid century GM convertible. But a 64-66 Continental would do. Beautifully restored this one with a beautiful ice blue. Not sure what the factory color was called, but the blue with the blue interior was fantastic. Don Draper would’ve been impressed.