Classic Car thread

TexasEd

40 minutes ago, Mother mopar said:

I can't see the image if that's what it is.

512 strokers are very popular and about as big as you can go on a stock block w/o crazy-expensive machine work.

There is a video attached.   I think you need to click something to open the video.

Installed everything and started adjusting valves. Have 5 that will not adjust no matter what, so I need to prime the engine again and get the lifters "pumped up" then I'll adjust. Spent 2 hours adjusting valves in a 91-degree garage and called it a day.

I'll prime next weekend; got a few parts coming in this week so that should wrap-up the cooling system. Also boxed up the carbs to ship to Harms Automotive for a concourse show rebuild. a57e8dd4b744d07283ca0a0c84180edf.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2

13 hours ago, mulletpelini said:

That early 70's red TA is fucking gorgeous.  '68 Z probably pretty rare I would guess.  68 SS/RS light blue looked great as well.  You can see where my alliance lies.

I think the color kind of makes it stealth but the 69 Olds 442 with W-32 package was sweet.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, AUinHsv said:

No love for 427 Camaro?  Wondering if that was a COPO or just added by owner

It was a '69. Not a fan.  Dunno why just never liked it.  Too boxy possibly? after being so rounded off in 7 and 8 maybe?  7 and 8 is just such a beautiful design, FB or Camaro, doesn't matter.  The first 3 years of the 70s were gotdamn beautiful too.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, mulletpelini said:

It was a '69. Not a fan.  Dunno why just never liked it.  Too boxy possibly? after being so rounded off in 7 and 8 maybe?  7 and 8 is just such a beautiful design, FB or Camaro, doesn't matter.  The first 3 years of the 70s were gotdamn beautiful too.

The end of the 60's saw the fat move in on just about every American car.  69 mustangs are particularly heinous IMO.

4 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Different strokes.  When they went to that cow of a body in 69 the pony car died IMO.  I'm growing to like the Machs, and BOSS models, but still think they look a little too redneck for my taste.

My first car.  Purchased for $925 in 1975.  Tell me that wasn't badass.

69 MACH  WHITE EXT 2 001.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, DalTxHornFan said:

69 MACH  WHITE EXT 2 001.jpg

Like I said, the BOSS and MACH's have grown on me, but they're still just not my cup of tea. I like the pony car Mustangs. Those are the essence of the Mustang lineage.  The new model has gone back to that pony car style with some nice bulges, and curves courtesy of the MACHS/BOSS models.  

This is my wheel house 

IMG_7128.jpg

3 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

It wasn't badass.  

And I'm lying.  Hell I paid half that much for a '74 VW Beetle 10 years later, who got the better deal that day?!??!

I am not a mustang fan at all.  The early models reek of "girl car" to me, always have.  The fastbacks were badass from day one.   As the mustangs progressed, starting in about '67 they got way more beefier and way better looking to me.  Up until the aforementioned 71 and beyond.

That's from a biased opinion of someone who has never owned nor will own a mustang, so in other words, an opinion that doesn't mean shit.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, mulletpelini said:

It wasn't badass.  

And I'm lying.  Hell I paid half that much for a '74 VW Beetle 10 years later, who got the better deal that day?!??!

I am not a mustang fan at all.  The early models reek of "girl car" to me, always have.  The fastbacks were badass from day one.   As the mustangs progressed, starting in about '67 they got way more beefier and way better looking to me.  Up until the aforementioned 71 and beyond.

That's from a biased opinion of someone who has never owned nor will own a mustang, so in other words, an opinion that doesn't mean shit.

You bought a Beetle, and said Mustangs were chick cars ?  I mean I love a beetle, but I guess you like driving chick cars. 😎

On 8/16/2020 at 2:00 PM, TexasEd said:

Yes, and one for you too.  I was thinking that you might find this one cool.

Yeah, that shortbox on a CabOver is def. worth the look.  I have my eyes on winning the lottery & there's this '54ish White CoE in Oak Hill that I wanna have ridonkulous stuff done to it, starting with a cab stretch, keep the tilt, make it 4x4 & slide a juiced up Cummins in there.

I finally got some time off from flying so I was able to knock out a few things on the K5.  This past weekend she got new ball joints, drag link ends, tie rod ends, brake calipers, brake lines, and wheel bearings.  I also got the reverse lights working.  The previous owner(s) seem to have rewired basically everything on the truck, so it's been fun having to undo everything and try to get everything back to factory.  The wipers are currently operated with a toggle switch on the dash, wired directly to the wiper motor, so my next project is going to be pulling the steering wheel to replace the wiper module.  I'm really looking forward to it!!!11  The good news is this truck is extremely easy to work on, and parts are so god damn cheap compared to some of my other cars.

20200815_122833.jpg

20200815_174543.jpg

20200818_223800.jpg

20200818_223832.jpg

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

Wish I was closer, I'd love to work on an oldie.  Wiring is real basic, it just seems tough.  Older cars especially, very very basic.  New cars are the nightmares, wires that read voltage until a switch or door or light or lock is activated.  Older cars didn't have much of that shit.  I bet (haven't looked) that there is probably some really good stuff online nowadays that people post on their classics.  Just gotta have a bogus set of tools................and a Fluke.

Oh yeah, this might be a dumb question but have you changed out those old bulbs lately?  When one bulb went bad the others would follow and sometimes fuck up the series.  First thing I'd do if you haven't already is replace every single bulb in your back panel and maybe even up front too.  Usually if its not that, theres corrosion/break down in the wire/connector some where, just gotta find it.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, mulletpelini said:

Wish I was closer, I'd love to work on an oldie.  Wiring is real basic, it just seems tough.  Older cars especially, very very basic.  New cars are the nightmares, wires that read voltage until a switch or door or light or lock is activated.  Older cars didn't have much of that shit.  I bet (haven't looked) that there is probably some really good stuff online nowadays that people post on their classics.  Just gotta have a bogus set of tools................and a Fluke.

Oh yeah, this might be a dumb question but have you changed out those old bulbs lately?  When one bulb went bad the others would follow and sometimes fuck up the series.  First thing I'd do if you haven't already is replace every single bulb in your back panel and maybe even up front too.  Usually if its not that, theres corrosion/break down in the wire/connector some where, just gotta find it.

Yeah, I'll tackle straight forward plug, and play stuff. I've swapped out all my old wiring harnesses except the main under dash harness which is a big job not cheap, and will lead to a complete re vamping of my dash board, another big job based on my plans. All the wiring harnesses from the firewall forward, and the steering wheel back are new. 

I installed sequential LED tail lights for better visibility/safety, and added GT fog lights.  Now I have issues with passenger side brake light and turn signals not working all the time.  I've checked, and re checked the connections.  The culprit could be the turn signal assembly in the steering wheel, coupled with something else like the main light switch assembly is bad (which ha been replaced with a new module in the past).

The after market part world has so much cheap Chinese stuff that fails or just doesn't work. I'll play with it, and swap out the switch, check the connections at the harnesses (which I've done and don't think are the problem), and maybe crack open the steering wheel, which is a pain, and kind of delicate.

On 8/17/2020 at 4:45 PM, Onboard 2.0 said:

Different strokes.  When they went to that cow of a body in 69 the pony car died IMO. 

Pony vs Muscle definitely a different car.  But  69/70 are only 1/2 inch wider and 4 inches longer than 67/68.  There is something in the body lines that gives the impression 69/70 is much larger, but it isn't.  I posted up thread how surprised I was when I got my 70 in the garage - took up much less space than I expected.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, mulletpelini said:

what is the difference from 65/66 to 67?  That seemed like a big difference too....good difference.  I do know what you mean OB2

From an interior aspect dashboards, and steering wheels changed from metal to more padding. Dashboards pre 1967 are always prettier, and more interesting, steering  wheels as well.

26 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

From an interior aspect dashboards, and steering wheels changed from metal to more padding. Dashboards pre 1967 are always prettier, and more interesting, steering  wheels as well.

Fucking feds man.

Exterior wise, 67-68s are wider, longer, more curvy, the concave taillights, and the engine bay is bigger to allow for a big block.

12 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Fucking feds man.

Exterior wise, 67-68s are wider, longer, more curvy, the concave taillights, and the engine bay is bigger to allow for a big block.

Oh yeah F the feds, cars were also starting to get bigger again after 66.  That 67 hood with the inset flashers is one of my favorite Mustang details.  I'd love to have that  detail on my 65.

11 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Fucking feds man.

I have a scar on my forehead from a metal dashboard in an Impala (don't recall what year).  I was in the child seat in the front and had raised the little bar they had back then when my Mom exclaimed about something trivial as we went down our street just a couple of houses from home, causing my Dad to hit the brakes.  We weren't going real fast, but fast enough for little Twice to fly forward and smack his noggin on the sharpish edge of the dashboard and cut it open.  My parents said they'd never forget my screams as Dr. Norman stitched me up for as long as they lived.