Classic Car thread

TexasEd

Beautiful weather up here this past weekend. Saturday morning took the '68 Riviera out for a nice stretch of the legs, about 200 miles and then yesterday morning took the '98 911 out for a similar drive. Both ran great, windows open in the Buick and top down in the Porsche. Great days, today, cut up some leaves.

• Hook 'Em 1

I think I finally got the radiator shroud to fit but in an unconventional way.  I had to trim away to clearance for the transmission cooling lines at the bottom and it cracked.  The crack worked out because I had to slide the bottom of the shroud under the cooling lines because it still rubbed the fan.

Got it heated up and drove around the block a few times.  It was leaking when I got back but what I first thought was the core leaking I now think was a loose lower radiator hose.

Will try it out again tomorrow.

• Like 1

I did not study the entire list but it looks a bit interesting.

-------------

https://www.insidehook.com/feature/50-most-underappreciated-cars-all-time

Generational shifts almost always wreak havoc on accepted pop-culture wisdom. As one cohort ages out of a particular scene — be it music, movies, fashion or design — a new group rushes into to fill the gap, bringing with them their own ideas about what’s cool, what’s not and most importantly, where you should turn your attention next.

The automotive world has always lagged behind when it comes to recognizing which of its past efforts are worthy of praise. Seen clinically, old cars are just that: consumer products that are past due, vehicles that have fulfilled their original purpose and now serve primarily as money pits or recycling fodder so that the next set of shiny paint jobs can move on down the assembly line and keep feeding the retail flames.

From a cultural perspective, however, vehicles are often indelibly associated with emotions, experiences and eras in our lives. Whether it’s your first taste of freedom through an inexpensive beater, the sports car you lusted after in poster form on the wall of your childhood bedroom, the car you were driving when you met your significant other or the ride in which your mom carted you around to soccer practice, we form subconscious bonds with these useful objects that can last well into adulthood, especially for enthusiasts.

Currently, the collector car world is deep in a phase of introspection as the old guard’s definition of “classic” is challenged by a fresh wave of drivers eager to own an entirely different set of vehicles culled from their own cultural past. As the previous stalwarts of the high-dollar auction scene (muscle cars, ’30s to ’50s hot rods and pre-war cars, mostly) begin to slowly fade from the collective zeitgeist, a rising tide of previously underappreciated autos are poised to take their place as the go-to rides for the latest group of gearheads.

What qualifies a classic car as “underappreciated?” These are models that for the most part have been shunned by the Boomer-fueled industry surrounding collector vehicles, usually because they fell outside the narrow definition of what was desirable due to their performance, vintage, styling, or even country of origin. 

With today’s car fans no longer prioritizing American-made over Japanese imports, showing increasing interest in workaday trucks and SUVs, and overall much more open to metal from the Malaise (mid-’70s to early ’80s) and Rad (’80s to ’90s) periods, the doors have been thrown wide open for an entirely new set of cars and trucks to finally have their moment in the sun.

So we reached out to nearly a dozen automotive writers, media personalities and experts to get their opinions on which classic vehicles are criminally overlooked. Here, in no particular order, are the 50 most underappreciated collector automobiles of all time.

• Like 1

Trans all rebuilt! Mocked everything up and pinned the shifter and adjusted the shift rods. Banged through gears, super smooth even without fluid.

On to the interior, sand blasted seat racks today. Then I'll install the headliner (monday arrival), sail panels, dome light, door panels (waiting hardware) armrest, door handles etc. Carpet is currently laying out "molding"into shape. Still need to buy seat belts and was hoping to snag a set this weekend but cant find a Black Friday deal for OE seat belts. 53a5b4bf3f36adae77e14646ef66202c.jpg6eeddbb186efeb602d39fd385a182911.jpgfdedcedcfc07fddd9d76f0d0b67bc81f.jpge8e71f9dbb3589ab29eb2c8ddb0aac48.jpg0b6a003062319858984c5115fab24b93.jpg

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Mother mopar said:

Trans all rebuilt! Mocked everything up and pinned the shifter and adjusted the shift rods. Banged through gears, super smooth even without fluid.

On to the interior, sand blasted seat racks today. Then I'll install the headliner (monday arrival), sail panels, dome light, door panels (waiting hardware) armrest, door handles etc. Carpet is currently laying out "molding"into shape. Still need to buy seat belts and was hoping to snag a set this weekend but cant find a Black Friday deal for OE seat belts. 53a5b4bf3f36adae77e14646ef66202c.jpg6eeddbb186efeb602d39fd385a182911.jpgfdedcedcfc07fddd9d76f0d0b67bc81f.jpge8e71f9dbb3589ab29eb2c8ddb0aac48.jpg0b6a003062319858984c5115fab24b93.jpg

Transmission shifting linkages have always fascinated me.  For such a prosaic thing, they would seem to take a lot of work and skill to make fully functional.

• Like 1

I really wish I knew how to do all that shit. 
Honestly, it's not hard, just track where everything came out and take a bunch of pictures. Plus the internet and forums are a huge plus.

Automatics on the other hand is a different story....ball bearings flying out everywhere and once you get those picked up there's like shit ton of springs as well.
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 11/27/2020 at 8:02 PM, Assman said:

Progress on the K5 has been slow, but I finished the lift today. 3" in the front, 4" in the rear. All new leaf springs, shocks, and sway bar links. Finally got rid of the classic K5 saggy ass.

Before and after

f08171d8517b1439373cc0158e42fb77.jpgc90999bc826d8de3df4a9fa77f9a0be6.jpg619bbcb70272d4ffa08a0e07f983e322.jpg

I think you're on to something here

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1972-chevrolet-blazer-27/

Plan was to take the kids out for an inaugural spin on Thanksgiving.

IMG_6284.jpg.5843d4dfd11235af9998e4a50cfe38bb.jpg

IMG_6279.jpg.6a5b1aa4c8557a8d16bf853a476391db.jpg

Nope.  No power at all when I turned the key.  The culprit - shredded ground wire on my ignition switch.

IMG_6274.jpg.f3d7b86101730a6cc6d1d4b3682f1021.jpg

And of course, the 70 switch is a one off year and fucking impossible to source.  Had to send it to a local Mustang guy for surgery.  If he fails I'll have to shell out $300 plus for a replacement, if I can find one.  How much is a 69 or 71?  $25.  Oh well, at least my Magnums arrived.

IMG_6275.jpg.ccd8d8399e7674800936b4da9485f2e4.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mach 1 said:

Plan was to take the kids out for an inaugural spin on Thanksgiving.

IMG_6284.jpg.5843d4dfd11235af9998e4a50cfe38bb.jpg

IMG_6279.jpg.6a5b1aa4c8557a8d16bf853a476391db.jpg

Nope.  No power at all when I turned the key.  The culprit - shredded ground wire on my ignition switch.

IMG_6274.jpg.f3d7b86101730a6cc6d1d4b3682f1021.jpg

And of course, the 70 switch is a one off year and fucking impossible to source.  Had to send it to a local Mustang guy for surgery.  If he fails I'll have to shell out $300 plus for a replacement, if I can find one.  How much is a 69 or 71?  $25.  Oh well, at least my Magnums arrived.

IMG_6275.jpg.ccd8d8399e7674800936b4da9485f2e4.jpg

Ouchy.

12 hours ago, Armybrat said:

He wasn’t doing 88 mph yet when he passed us on I-35 in north Austin yesterday....

5A17B1BF-439C-45A8-BBB7-CAA9F73B62CD.jpeg

I'd normally tease a person for being passed by a DeLorean under any conditions, but I think septingententarians deserve an exception. 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom
  • Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, TexasEd said:

@Mach 1 Look up midlife wiring harness and send it to him.  He will refurbish your old one.

He actually refurbished my whole harness front to back.  Unfortunately he doesn't touch miscellaneous stuff like this, engine gauge wiring, etc.

He's kind of a surly dude, fit in well here.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Mach 1 said:

He actually refurbished my whole harness front to back.  Unfortunately he doesn't touch miscellaneous stuff like this, engine gauge wiring, etc.

He's kind of a surly dude, fit in well here.

oh, yeah.  I see him post on 1969stang.com

Man, just got my car back today after too much delay and bullshit from a well reputed shop in Austin. Eight fucking weeks for a straight forward mechanical inspection of systems, and missed out on the most glorious part of the top down cruising year. Kinda bitter over that, but whatever. Gotta start working on this stereo install over the Christmas break to get my mind right from all the chaos at work.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Man, just got my car back today after too much delay and bullshit from a well reputed shop in Austin. Eight fucking weeks for a straight forward mechanical inspection of systems, and missed out on the most glorious part of the top down cruising year. Kinda bitter over that, but whatever. Gotta start working on this stereo install over the Christmas break to get my mind right from all the chaos at work.

Nothing worse than planning on driving the convertible somewhere, and then it looks like rain. You get there, in your non convertible car, and it's beautiful, not a drop of rain.