Classic Car thread

TexasEd

2 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Hello beautiful!  Best friends Keith Craft Shelby replica he had built years back.  Tested @ 720hp on the dyno.  It's a loud, screaming monster that will give you a permanent lower leg tattoo if you touch those side pipes.  It's power to weight ratio allows this little demon to put supercars to the test, assuming they know how to drive (he used to drive in the race circuit back in Midland).

Before kids, fucker used to wake me up on the weekends by parking in our front driveway and just letting is gurgle and rumble.  Our old house still has scratch marks in front on the street.  You can always find him and his fellow Cobra enthusiasts at every Sunday Cars & Coffee in N. Dallas/Frisco.  Now that we have kids, when they were still little, he'd come over, strap them in to the 4-point harness and give them a ride.  They loved it.  

*plane is an old L-29 Delphin retired at the Lancaster airport and donated after assembly to the Cold War museum out there.

Cobra.JPG

I have a scar on my left calf from taking a ride in a friends friend’s Cobra replica.

• Hook 'Em 2

720hp cobra is aggressive.

Like death wish aggressive.

I had a friend whose mom died for stupid reasons (minor medical issue became fatal because of self inflicted non treatment). He got drunk and bought a Cobra replica on eBay with the inheritance. It was bad ass. He went through a wild steak and I’m really surprised he didn’t kill himself or someone else with it. He found a good southern Baptist girl, quit drinking and sold it this year. Good for him, but I miss that car. Always have a friend with a Cobra. /csb
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

Like death wish aggressive.

I had a friend whose mom died for stupid reasons (minor medical issue became fatal because of self inflicted non treatment). He got drunk and bought a Cobra replica on eBay with the inheritance. It was bad ass. He went through a wild steak and I’m really surprised he didn’t kill himself or someone else with it. He found a good southern Baptist girl, quit drinking and sold it this year. Good for him, but I miss that car. Always have a friend with a Cobra. /csb

Yeah, I won't drive it, even when asked.  This guy used to race back in the circuit in Midland.  Before that worked in the pit crew and grew up building cars and driving.  Told me the story once he was on the DNT near Frisco and a guy on a sport bike pulled up next and acted like he wanted to "go".

So he punches it, bike takes off...which as you know even a baseline bike will smoke a car due to the power to weight ratio.  Cobra is so loud and aggressive and accelerates so fast the guy on the bike quickly backed off and soon exited.  With a kid, he doesn't do that anymore and mainly takes it to car shows.  But when he first bought, I think he went through 2 or 3 pairs of rear tires.  Giant, wide, super-soft, barely legal slicks.  If there is even a hint of precipitation even he won't take it out.

• Like 1

One of the coolest car sites I witnessed was a Spring Sunday driving back form an annual trout fishing trip in the Blue Ridge mountains just off  the Blueridge parkway   We're stopped at a vista overlook, and this rumble starts throating its way up the road. Ya couldn't see what it, but you knew it was gas related.  

A string of old cobras, (many unrestored survivors) pops up over the hill.  Several 289, some 427 (originals) and a few AC models mixed in. The coolest ones were the 3-4 survivors that were just gorgeous with the right amount of patina, and cracked leather.

• Hook 'Em 3

21 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

One of the coolest car sites I witnessed was a Spring Sunday driving back form an annual trout fishing trip in the Blue Ridge mountains just off  the Blueridge parkway   We're stopped at a vista overlook, and this rumble starts throating its way up the road. Ya couldn't see what it, but you knew it was gas related.  

A string of old cobras, (many unrestored survivors) pops up over the hill.  Several 289, some 427 (originals) and a few AC models mixed in. The coolest ones were the 3-4 survivors that were just gorgeous with the right amount of patina, and cracked leather.

They do rumble.  Different from a Harley.  Deeper.  Throatier.  Not so obnoxious.  

Holy shit. I had a friend with a dog that looked just like that. He ate a chicken whole
straight off the counter right after it came out of the oven. He ripped up all the carpet in the apartment where they lived, so my buddy just put down parquet and the apartment management didn’t blame him. He was the Bill Brasky of dogs.

Warmed up enough I could apply adhesive for the headliner insulation. Installed insulation, headliner, visors, mirror, dome light, and roof weather stripping. Once the garage heats up the wrinkles will work themselves out. Not bad, beat $400 for some else doing it.

Still need to install the sail panels and some rear window trim that I'm missing. I have a new package tray ready for install too but I'm holding off until I'm ready for the back glass to get installed. My OE seatbelts should be here next week and I'll install those then. Plan to install the carpet tomorrow for good along with dimmer switch, gas pedal, kick panels, and associated insulation along w/ A-pillar trim. 13b60833b81899b43b5392d8978200c3.jpgabf95d52090a2190181462cd8eb4d8a0.jpg9550285b46b10b9cf6562f0dde3f87e7.jpg42c9d8449f523ebe4a8882aa76e3d969.jpg0d8a47fb8ccd0e9d02a3fbc2c2104fd2.jpg3d36fb03948637038a08ca575867bee8.jpgedc45f2cdda10f51ebc00cec1e396967.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3

new headliner is in my future.  Need to take the rear window out to do it right or go with a one piece fiberglass headliner.
You don't need to take the back glass out as the teeth that the material bites on is inside of the glass. There won't be much room but as long as you can use needle-nose pliers you'll be fine. I've done them with glass in and out. Much easier out but it can be done the other way. The car below had glass installed and I was able to do it. Removed the old black one and installed a white one. 38cd27bfafc50b701b0820f25306c6a0.jpg1cd1224f7b77afe0b5714ba5c3ee3e19.jpgc775ff5dbe083f237025d7119b2c4d74.jpg8510073e8db6ab4ea327e2e927283c59.jpg0632893cc200e126e7fad4b7c9de3700.jpg

Had to work a bit today but managed to install a gas pedal assy (already sandblasted and painted) carpet, kick panels, sill plates, sill plate extensions, and A-pillar trim. Need to stretch the carpet out just a bit on the driver's side and trim a bit more for final fit.

I'll punch holes for the seat tracks tomorrow. Found that using a torch to the end of a screwdriver makes the perfect circle for melting holes in the carpet and eliminates the carpet from unraveling as well.

Trying to get as much of this stuff done before I go in for shoulder surgery in a couple of weeks.c361688ec3bc541e9c4b733337fbb3c0.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Anastasis said:

nice.  what color are you going to go with.  black top on white for that tuxedo look, or going another direction?

she was originally gulf stream aqua . that is actually a blue top on what was a robins egg blue paint job . looked white in the  sunlight but had a baby blue haze at night under light . was cool. i *think* i am going 1989-90  bimini blue with a dark blue vinyl . bimini is close to brittney blue . but am evaluating all blue hues at this time. with all hope and luck she should be moving under her own power by march . but thats the ez part .

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Cool. That will be unique. What’s under the hood? 289?

yes 289 3 spd its all original . my buddies dad bought him the car my senior year . they put a new from ford 289 hipo it currently has 15kish on her . BUT i have a 351windsor in the corner screaming for some afr heads and i have 2-3  5 speeds to make a swap . 

• Hook 'Em 1

Going in for surgery next week so the superbee will be on pause for a few months but this past week brought some potentially good news.

Long story short, a 68 Dodge Coronet R/T convertible may be the next car in the stable if the details on the car check out. Car is driver quality resto, triple black, 440 auto car. Still waiting on some pictures and specifics about the fender tag, drivetrain #s but at the price point, it's a steal. More to come but for a car that only had 443 made plus in a triple black configuration, it's intriguing. Car is similar to this one 80bfa18c57ab87006abcaa627d67dd43.jpg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Drool 2

Crap - can't edit for too long.  Wouldn't save

Sent it to a very good shop in Michigan since I didn;t have time to do it

Engine was toast  -  those push rods are even rusted

1.thumb.jpg.8458a2c620aa0cc6e310299fb8e676a2.jpg

Pretty much everything replaced and painted

3.thumb.jpg.b422957d4f5328fb3c2856fab0f441a2.jpg

4.thumb.jpg.3ac64bef87751c2bc7d8816b489525a9.jpg

Underside gets painted - frame was "crusty" but OK. original wood floorboards

2.thumb.jpg.b565601920e0dc3ff9ee555dbc678d4e.jpg

Front suspension

6.thumb.jpg.33d4c94b51de9d3db8370a076b25404e.jpg

Rear was very crusty

7.thumb.jpg.db0cf6168c01abbad92acbd92045e2ec.jpg

New tank and cleaning and paint

8.thumb.jpg.3530d364f215731ae0d9fb05fead6724.jpg

Talking with them about the paint job. I will do the interior myself. The paint job currently on it was done by my Dad in 1980 in our garage. Probably cost 500 bucks or so counting a huge compressor.  Today's paint job are a lot more.

Edited by AUinHsv
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

On 1/9/2021 at 6:00 AM, mr.goodkat said:

yes 289 3 spd its all original . my buddies dad bought him the car my senior year . they put a new from ford 289 hipo it currently has 15kish on her . BUT i have a 351windsor in the corner screaming for some afr heads and i have 2-3  5 speeds to make a swap . 

Will a Windsor fit in that engine bay?

Post a shitload more pics as you progress, looks interesting.

On 1/9/2021 at 9:00 AM, mr.goodkat said:

Yes, to both the 351, and the 5 speed transmission. Best powertrain move I made was replacing my 4 speed top loader with a newer 5 speed, and install a Modern Driveline hydraulic clutch as well.  The OEM clutches suck donkey balls something awful.

23 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Damnit, going to have to keep an eye on this one. 

I never realized what a racquet Mecum is. I registered to bid in the upcoming Muscle Car City auction and it’s a $200 bidder fee and a 12% buyer’s premium. There are a couple of Chevelles I’m keeping my eye on.

Quote from the Mecum Kissimmee post on FB:

All wrapped up at another day of #MecumKissimmee! Here's a look at some of the top sellers:
▪️ 1965 Shelby 427 Cobra Roadster - $5,940,000
▪️ 1971 Plymouth Cuda Convertible - $962,500
▪️ 1967 Ferrari 330 GTC - $660,000

[quote]Carroll Shelby’s personal 1965 Shelby 427 Cobra Roadster sells for $5.94 million at Mecum Kissimmee 2021.
The final hammer price on the block achieved $5.4 million and a final sale price of $5.94 million including the buyer’s premium.
Click the link for more info: https://bit.ly/3pjIU0i
[/quote]

My friend with the (2) Mach 1's decided to pull the trigger on this Buick GSimage.png.c6ce5b524c42f3096fad4f0e6cca71c3.png
image.png.27f58b7b1e9e149a84c715e8ad786a9e.png

image.png.1a4859efc7a8079a6fe6a12fbcbdf81c.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

Going in for surgery next week so the superbee will be on pause for a few months but this past week brought some potentially good news.

Long story short, a 68 Dodge Coronet R/T convertible may be the next car in the stable if the details on the car check out. Car is driver quality resto, triple black, 440 auto car. Still waiting on some pictures and specifics about the fender tag, drivetrain #s but at the price point, it's a steal. More to come but for a car that only had 443 made plus in a triple black configuration, it's intriguing. Car is similar to this one 80bfa18c57ab87006abcaa627d67dd43.jpg
Follow up on this, the gentlemen I was dealing with that owned the car died of covid a few days ago. Unmarried no kids, no will, so knowing that it's probably a foregone conclusion that this will not be my next car.

I assume everything will be left to his estate then a judge/state (Texas) will decide the fate of it along with some other very rare mopars...70 Hemi Roadrunner, 69 double black Hemi GTX, and a 69.5 440-6 barrel roadrunner.
  • Rage+1 3

15 minutes ago, Mother mopar said:

Follow up on this, the gentlemen I was dealing with that owned the car died of covid a few days ago. Unmarried no kids, no will, so knowing that it's probably a foregone conclusion that this will not be my next car.

I assume everything will be left to his estate then a judge/state (Texas) will decide the fate of it along with some other very rare mopars...70 Hemi Roadrunner, 69 double black Hemi GTX, and a 69.5 440-6 barrel roadrunner.

Oh Jesus. No way to make an offer on the lot of cars? Or head it off before auction? Cause I got 5 on it if you can figure something out for the lot. Surly classic car buying group LLC.  That black on black on black is sexy as fuck. 

Edited by Anastasis

If I had to guess it would take $110K for the black GTX, $75K for the Hemi roadrunner (unrestored BTW), $70K for the 69.5 road runner, and probably $50K for the convertible triple black coronet. At those prices, you're looking for private collector money and I'm not a surly 1%. That's a lot of cash.

I can try to get in front of it but that gets dicey. People need time to digest it all before the lions come out trying to pick the bones of the carcass of what's left from his estate. I have an in but I'm just laying low until his girlfriend decides what she wants to do.

13 minutes ago, Mother mopar said:

If I had to guess it would take $110K for the black GTX, $75K for the Hemi roadrunner (unrestored BTW), $70K for the 69.5 road runner, and probably $50K for the convertible triple black coronet. At those prices, you're looking for private collector money and I'm not a surly 1%. That's a lot of cash.

I can try to get in front of it but that gets dicey. People need time to digest it all before the lions come out trying to pick the bones of the carcass of what's left from his estate. I have an in but I'm just laying low until his girlfriend decides what she wants to do.

Damn, those pricey. Clearly I don't have a sense of the demand for some of these mopars. 110k?

2 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Oh Jesus. No way to make an offer on the lot of cars? Or head it off before auction? Cause I got 5 on it if you can figure something out for the lot. Surly classic car buying group LLC.  That black on black on black is sexy as fuck. 

Probate is a bitch......They'll end up at auction.

Edited by Onboard 2.0