Classic Car thread

TexasEd

I feel like I am missing something here...Dont get me wrong, nice ride. But 30k?

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1995-gmc-yukon-gt-barn-door/

5b6a096bc6161_gmc_yukon_gt_barn_door_1532835271e93e74d3df852fullsizeoutput_7a9-940x625.jpeg

I think we are starting to enter the era where cars that were more or less throwaways from the 80s and 90s are now starting to get money for creampuff examples.

In 5-10 years, crappy versions might be more expensive too.

20 hours ago, Anton Chigurh said:

I think we are starting to enter the era where cars that were more or less throwaways from the 80s and 90s are now starting to get money for creampuff examples.

In 5-10 years, crappy versions might be more expensive too.

2-Doors are rare. Very rare. When I sold mine there were only about 100 on Auto Trader Nation wide. 

10 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

Which is unbelievable because they are fugly pieces of shit.

Not a fan of 99% of the post 60's Mustang bodies.  The ones that started coming  out in the 80's were OK then quickly got really bad.  The Fox bodies are not pretty in my opinion, but. not as bad as a couple of the model years around them..

This latest style is beautiful and has gone back to the pony car for its inspiration.  I'd love to have a new fastback.

On 8/17/2018 at 7:46 AM, Onboard 2.0 said:

Not a fan of 99% of the post 60's Mustang bodies.  The ones that started coming  out in the 80's were OK then quickly got really bad.  The Fox bodies are not pretty in my opinion, but. not as bad as a couple of the model years around them..

This latest style is beautiful and has gone back to the pony car for its inspiration.  I'd love to have a new fastback.

I think since the mid-90s, they've generally been on the right track with the Mustang.  The fact that they're keeping trucks and the Mustang says something.

That looks great Onboard.

Is there any space behind the speakers? I’m wondering if you could put them in at such an angle as to face the occupants. Maybe an experiment I’ll have to run. Mine came without the console but maybe I could make a little speaker box there.

11 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

That looks great Onboard.

Is there any space behind the speakers? I’m wondering if you could put them in at such an angle as to face the occupants. Maybe an experiment I’ll have to run. Mine came without the console but maybe I could make a little speaker box there.

Actually yeah there's about 3 1/2" between the two speaker magnets (but part of that space is taken up with a divider and sound absorption panels). You could angle the speakers to face occupants a bit more. That would mean a bit more contour and customization of the panels. I did lose the front loading storage compartment, but that was because I didn't work out some type of top hinge for the small upper console pot metal panel to allow access.

Behind the console itself, towards the firewall, I'm about an 1" or so away from the face of the heater plenum mixing box. 

I used 3/4" plywood, sealed before wrapping it to head off any potential moisture causing de-lamination (even the drilled holes).  You have to install the panels after getting the console in place since they're about 2" taller the the top of the original upper console.  Everything was pre fitted, and drilled to make it easy to make the attachments.

If there's no console then it's even easier to make the box to your specifications rather than making it fit to the existing console.  You could fit a pair of 8" sub woofers and do a component speaker arrangement in the kick panels.

Cup holder location and design is the next task. I like the small concealed, swing out type billet steel holders instead of an actual cup.

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Like 1

I'm restoring a 72 RS Camaro, the shell is on a rotisserie in my garage now.  When I figure out how to post pics I will.  Every panel has been replaced except the firewall, inner and outer rockers and the frame rails, every other piece has been replaced.  Goal is 1000hp, 9 second quarter mile, naturally aspirated, pump gas street car with AC that can win shows as easily as it puts trailered drag cars back on their trailers.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

Do you plan on running a 3.55 rearend? Seems like 1000 hp will push it past the 9s. What plans for a cafe do you have?

I used to have a split bumper 70 Z28. Wish I still had it.

9" rear end, 3.70ish gear.  Car will be heavy with X-Mat etc.  I assume "cafe" meant carb, so FI is the plan, I love the interface aspect of it with 02 sensors and am very comfortable with it.

Edited by Limp Brisket

10 minutes ago, Mother mopar said:

That level of power is serious dough. Not to mention the chassis. Look forward to pix even if it's a bow tie project ;-)

That's what most don't understand, you have to have a fuel delivery system, drivetrain and chassis to support that kind of HP.  I call it my 5 year project but it's likely a 7-10 deal but I'm making progress one weld at a time.

37 minutes ago, Limp Brisket said:

That's what most don't understand, you have to have a fuel delivery system, drivetrain and chassis to support that kind of HP.  I call it my 5 year project but it's likely a 7-10 deal but I'm making progress one weld at a time.

1000 HP on the street ?  Seems like swatting a fly with a howitzer.  Can't wait to see pics though.

1000 HP on the street ?  Seems like swatting a fly with a howitzer.

Sounds like an awesome idea to me.

What power plant are you going to use to get that kind of hp?

I agree I would think 1k hp would turn sub 9s. Tranny? Rear end?

Suspension?

You can build a 9 second street car but can’t post pics on tapa?

We need answers.

9" rear end, 3.70ish gear.  Car will be heavy with X-Mat etc.  I assume "cafe" meant carb, so FI is the plan, I love the interface aspect of it with 02 sensors and am very comfortable with it.

I meant cage. Fat fingers. What suspension are you gonna use? That will require more than caltracs and subframe connectors. Lol

You going with an LS engine I’m guessing?

Coolest door handle I saw today.  1964 Thunderbird convertible, original paint. The handle is the body side moulding. As it runs down the body over the door,  a small scoop in the sheet metal is all there is to grab and the lock is a single cylinder in the door panel.  Minimal in 1964... very clean and modern, but totally stock.

1z3t0uw.jpg

30dfqza.jpg

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Sounds like an awesome idea to me.

What power plant are you going to use to get that kind of hp?

I agree I would think 1k hp would turn sub 9s. Tranny? Rear end?

Suspension?

You can build a 9 second street car but can’t post pics on tapa?

We need answers.

Didn't say I didn't like it, just thinking about 1,000 HP at the stop light.

One of the biggest challenges is getting a streetable 1kHP car, in less it's a drag car. That level of power takes a big cam which eliminates some items, power brakes (due to low vacuum), keeping it cool during summer months.

I'm interested no doubt but you can get a 9 sec car (3200lbs) with around 850HP.

1 minute ago, Mother mopar said:

One of the biggest challenges is getting a streetable 1kHP car, in less it's a drag car. That level of power takes a big cam which eliminates some items, power brakes (due to low vacuum), keeping it cool during summer months.

I'm interested no doubt but you can get a 9 sec car (3200lbs) with around 850HP.

just add a trailer and a 3 ton HVAC system.

It's the goal.  A 632 BB and DSE mini tubbed, I want to keep the back seat.  The cage will have swing outs.  I don't know how to post pics but ill send pics via email.  The car is on a rotisserie right now in my garage, the DSE mini tub kit is laying under it, the ridetech tubular arms and coil overs are there too.  It's a multi year plan.

Ready to get my 68 convertible driving again. Anyone have a Austin shop rec?

This right here. I don't have a matching numbers GT or Shelby, that would be a different story. I want to drive it, and have fun.  
There are chips, and a rust spot on the drivers door, but it still looks clean, and I don't sweat those little road injuries. What I do sweat is leaky fluids, an uncomfortable ride, bad electronics, a decent sound system, and a car that doesn't start when I turn the key.
I haven't even dreamed of AC, but it would be nice.  That would be a big job because I'd want it all in the dash, not one of the original or aftermarket under dash units replacing the upper console.  Never liked the way they looked anyway. I want an integrated look like the 67's and beyond.
1438679ea178c2f92da08632329b628c.jpg

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, mackavelli said:

Thanks.  Restored when I was 15 - now 43.

Never been great at engines.  Want to do a restomod and get a modern driving experience in the nice candy wrapper.  need to get running, then suspension and braking

That's exactly what I've been doing to my 65 convertible.  Modern systems in a pretty metal skin.  I don't do engine stuff either other than fairly easy bolt on, plug and play stuff.

I'd definitely do disc brakes on the front at least, get as good a suspension upgrade as you can get, swap out the old power steering unit (if it's power steering, and replace it with a Borgesson system), hydraulic clutch (if its manual).

New, modern, head rest bucket seats, and the hydraulic clutch have been the 2 biggest comfort items I've added.

My next projects will be suspension bolt ons Monte Carlo bar and maybe some rear suspension thingys.

• Like 1