2018 Tampa Bay Rays Thread

BigOrange1

On 5/18/2018 at 7:28 AM, Capn81 said:

Even though my team is shit, I would like to thank Robbie Cano for the PED suspension. I wondered when I was going to lose Dee Gordon’s 2B eligibility, but I do not have to worry any longer!

just as an aside, you don't lose eligibility. 

3 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

So two weeks ago my offense went nuclear, and last week my pitching did this

Now if we can get those performances to coincide were in business.

My pitching had a good week too

68 6 2 1.525 0.847 5.231

12 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

if somebody wants to suck it up and do the power rankings, i think it actually encourages trading.  

if not, i can probably do it late in the week.

I’m puzzled at how many offers I send to teams that are way under .500 who never so much as send a single counter offer. Your team is 40-55, you have 5 offensive players (or 5 SPs) on your bench, but you won’t even entertain making a move. Doesn’t make sense. Don’t you want to even try to fleece someone who is sending you literally 10+ trade offers and is desperate to make a move?

Hey Derka, most of the time for me is that I am rarely interested in 2 for 1 type of deals that offer marginal upgrades. The offers you sent me last night we’re not bad, but provided no real boost to my team. In turn, I was giving up guys who are starting to get hot/provide my team with needed stats. On top of that, I have seen many people trying to get OF’s which leads me to the believe that there is not much on the wire. Thus, giving up one of my OFs was going to leave me in a hole.

I tend to believe that two players stats do not always replace on persons true value. Maybe I value certain guys too much, but I love and die by it. *This year I might by dying by it.

I totally understand all of that, and ftr I wasn’t specifically referring to you or anyone else. It’s just that for me, when I send you an offer, most of the time I’m just saying, “Hey, I’m interested in some of your players. Let’s talk.” The trades I do make usually happen on the 3rd, 4th, or 5th offer after some back and forth. And even if at first you don’t have any interest in trading certain players on your team, I think it’s worth sending a counter offer to see what you can get from someone who is clearly looking to make a move. Especially if you happen to have a sub-.500 team with a deep bench. Having a deep bench only hurts you in the long run.

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Planet Houston said:

Wow, what a difference a week makes.   Win 12-0 one week, lose 11-1 the next.

And NorthLoop had 13 RBI yesterday.  I had 16 all of last week.  Yikes.

Yeah I only had 16 last week too. 

I also left 4 on the bench yesterday so I could've had 17. This has been my offense all year. They'll go apeshit for a week or two, then all get AIDS for 3 weeks. 

Edited by NorthLoop

7 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

Yeah I only had 16 last week too. 

I also left 4 on the bench yesterday so I could've had 17. This has been my offense all year. They'll go apeshit for a week or two, then all get AIDS for 3 weeks. 

I feel like this is happening for a bunch of us and it’s a sign of the times. Everything is so strikeout-or-homer that if your guys are hot for a week or two then you shouldn’t be surprised if they disappear the next week or two. You kinda have to get lucky with the timing of it all.

I totally understand all of that, and ftr I wasn’t specifically referring to you or anyone else. It’s just that for me, when I send you an offer, most of the time I’m just saying, “Hey, I’m interested in some of your players. Let’s talk.” The trades I do make usually happen on the 3rd, 4th, or 5th offer after some back and forth. And even if at first you don’t have any interest in trading certain players on your team, I think it’s worth sending a counter offer to see what you can get from someone who is clearly looking to make a move. Especially if you happen to have a sub-.500 team with a deep bench. Having a deep bench only hurts you in the long run.

For sure. One of the reasons why I rarely count yet is that I try to read someone else’s team. Too often I see what the person is trying to gain, so I am stuck with options they have on their team. Almost all of the time, them moving the people I am interested in does them no good. Thus, I don’t bother with a counter.

I feel like this is happening for a bunch of us and it’s a sign of the times. Everything is so strikeout-or-homer that if your guys are hot for a week or two then you shouldn’t be surprised if they disappear the next week or two. You kinda have to get lucky with the timing of it all.

Yep. My 12-0 loss a few weeks ago was a good sign. My team has hit for average well all season. That week it was like .170 average. Plus, I would have had at least two category wins against almost anyone else in the league via pitching. Just ran into a team that had me covered all week.

Alright y’all, last chance- Vlad JR, the biggest prospect in baseball since Bryce Harper, is set to be called up to the Blue Jays later this month. The hit rate on prospects like this has been outstanding, from the low end of the spectrum like Gleyber Torres, on through guys like Correa, Bryant, Harper, and Trout. I’ll entertain trade offers that include stud starting pitchers for another week or so. If he’s still on my team in a week I’m keeping him. Don’t say I didn’t warn you. 

Stay by your phones boys, and expect multiple incoming offers.

Edited by Goo Punch