Griddle me this Batman

Both Tacos

5 hours ago, mycox said:

That seems like a lot of work for 4 fillets. Couldn't you do the same on a pan in the kitchen?

I mean, that looks delicious and perfect, but I reserve my griddle for mass consumption. Sometimes the kitchen is easier.

I would usually make blackened Fish in a cast iron skillet inside, but I don’t think that it was any more work one way or the other. I only ran 2 burners and it got me out on the patio instead of over the stove. Clean up time isn’t too different. But I am about to do Saturday breakfast on it so I didn’t tuck everything away last night. 

That seems like a lot of work for 4 fillets. Couldn't you do the same on a pan in the kitchen?
I mean, that looks delicious and perfect, but I reserve my griddle for mass consumption. Sometimes the kitchen is easier.

I agree about other things being easier sometimes. But cleanup with one of those is pretty quick and simple. Going outside in the summer sucks though.

9 hours ago, mycox said:

Do you even got a new toy bro?  @Anastasis gets a free pass for that alone.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/20/2019 at 5:04 PM, RMac5 said:

Mine was seasoned perfectly and then all of a sudden it’s starting to come off, can I re-season just that spot? I seasoned it with grape seed oil per manufacturers directions and it’s been great until now. Not sure if I let it get to hot or what.

So I took a big griddle scraper to my griddle attempting to clean it.  Apparently this was a big mistake as it bubbled up some of the seasoning. I didn't get a picture before I sanded it, but wish I did. Anyways, I sanded the area with an orbital using a mix of 100 and 150 discs. Then applied a few layers of oil to the sanded section to build it back up, and then started feathering it out with additional layers. Looks like there is one area that will need a bit of seasoning on the fly, but I am happy with the result for a quick fix.  Kinda pissed that I am already fucking with the seasoning after a few weeks?  Do ya'll not use a scraper on your griddle? Maybe I just had a weak spot.

05-BF611-A-9058-447-D-838-B-4-C8-AD5-F4-

06-EF0-BD4-D149-4-E77-B53-E-42-F93871-FA

Just now, RMac5 said:

Mine was fucking perfect! Looked like a black mirror from edge to edge, then out of no where it got the mange. Mine was great for two+ years before it got griddle aids. I need to get the sander after mine like you did.

Sanding wasn't that bad.  Took a few minutes to hit that one area.  Be prepared to burn through some discs.  The season fills all the grit. 

So I took a big griddle scraper to my griddle attempting to clean it.  Apparently this was a big mistake as it bubbled up some of the seasoning. I didn't get a picture before I sanded it, but wish I did. Anyways, I sanded the area with an orbital using a mix of 100 and 150 discs. Then applied a few layers of oil to the sanded section to build it back up, and then started feathering it out with additional layers. Looks like there is one area that will need a bit of seasoning on the fly, but I am happy with the result for a quick fix.  Kinda pissed that I am already fucking with the seasoning after a few weeks?  Do ya'll not use a scraper on your griddle? Maybe I just had a weak spot.
05-BF611-A-9058-447-D-838-B-4-C8-AD5-F4-F614.jpg
06-EF0-BD4-D149-4-E77-B53-E-42-F93871-FA80.jpg

Yes, I use a scraper on mine. The griddle may not have gotten properly seasoned in that one area the first time as just a few weeks of use, there shouldn't be a need to reseason.
I thing I'm careful about more recently is not letting it get too hot and burn off all the oil and seasoning.
  • Like 1

Yes, I use a scraper on mine. The griddle may not have gotten properly seasoned in that one area the first time as just a few weeks of use, there shouldn't be a need to reseason.
I thing I'm careful about more recently is not letting it get too hot and burn off all the oil and seasoning.

Don’t you have to get it past the smoke point of whatever oil you use to season it?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

New toy arrived on Thursday and I was able to season it before heading to the beach Friday. Got home yesterday in time for the first cook of Philly cheesesteaks. They turned out great, even if I forgot the onions. Bonus for my wife is that there were no pots and pans to clean. I do not normally clean as I go and somehow use twice the number that should be needed by a responsible cook.

Smash burgers with bacon tonight.

6a7a6b70aff65ba0d9f838fa9154a440.jpgd41df734691a6e360b5b3303ac46e948.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Subscribed (despite the thread shitters early on). 
Got one of these at the hunting camp.  Someone post up some breakfast tacos and hash-browns please.  
Easy stuff. Throw on a bag of frozen hashbrowns till they are brown and then throw the whipped eggs right into them. Stir till done. While that is cooking, warm up the tortillas on it too.
Take it up a notch and get you some chorizo sausage.
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I am going to pick up a 28" Blackstone this weekend.  All my kids are pretty young.  I am not feeding an army yet, so I don't think I'd need the 36'' version.  Or is it better to just get the 36" and just use 1/2 burners for smaller cooks?  Mainly doing it for the breakfast foods and burgers.  What are the other easy/quick meals to be had?  Fried rice seems like a big player online.

• Like 1

On 12/27/2019 at 9:50 AM, Gene Parmesan said:

I am going to pick up a 28" Blackstone this weekend.  All my kids are pretty young.  I am not feeding an army yet, so I don't think I'd need the 36'' version.  Or is it better to just get the 36" and just use 1/2 burners for smaller cooks?  Mainly doing it for the breakfast foods and burgers.  What are the other easy/quick meals to be had?  Fried rice seems like a big player online.

28'' on sale for 111.00.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009971BM6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Picked one up this weekend.  I have a question on seasoning.  Mine has nice color but is kind of sticky in spots.  The consensus from what I can tell is that I used too much oil?  I did use more than two tablespoons the manual called for, but looking at videos online they are dumping a lot more oil than I did on there.

Could I use this to sear steaks instead of a cast iron pan? No reason why not right?

90% of what I grill is chicken. Breasts, thighs, wings. Any reason I shouldn't move to this instead of my propane grill if I don't feel like firing up the ceramic in the winter?

I read some articles, how does surly recommend cleaning this griddle after a cook?

• Like 1

Could I use this to sear steaks instead of a cast iron pan? No reason why not right?
90% of what I grill is chicken. Breasts, thighs, wings. Any reason I shouldn't move to this instead of my propane grill if I don't feel like firing up the ceramic in the winter?
I read some articles, how does surly recommend cleaning this griddle after a cook?

Yes you can. I’ve done it plenty. I moved to my griddle after I got it. Decided it wasn’t worth changing the regulator on my grill once it messed up.

Yes clean it after a cook. It’s not the end of the world if you don’t though.

Picked one up this weekend.  I have a question on seasoning.  Mine has nice color but is kind of sticky in spots.  The consensus from what I can tell is that I used too much oil?  I did use more than two tablespoons the manual called for, but looking at videos online they are dumping a lot more oil than I did on there.
If it is sticky in some places or not oiled up well, it may be time to reseason. I will do mine again when it gets warmer outside.

Here is also how to clean it after use.
  • Like 1