Griddle me this Batman

Both Tacos

• 2 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, NoName said:

are there any other griddles that are worth looking at other than Blackstone at this point?

camp chef? cuisinart 360?

I have the Camp Chef and it's perfect. It also don't have the grease drainage issue the Blackstone has.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, NoName said:

are there any other griddles that are worth looking at other than Blackstone at this point?

The one I posted above is made by Wolf.  It works great and all, but it’s too small for the $550 price tag in my opinion.  The only reason I even have it is because we bought a whole new Sub Zero / Wolf appliance package for our kitchen remodel and if you spent a certain amount, you got some credits toward some shit like knives and pots and countertop appliances.  We chose a coffee maker, toaster, knife set and that griddle all for “free”.  They’re all great but I’m glad I didn’t pay retail for any of them.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

I’ve got the outdoor gourmet from academy. When I bought mine, I’d never seen or heard of a Blackstone.

Blackstone is having a sale with free shipping according to Facebook. 36” griddle for $299. Not sure how much of a savings that is compared to the wild.

do you like it? recommend it?

25 minutes ago, mycox said:

I have the Camp Chef and it's perfect. It also don't have the grease drainage issue the Blackstone has.

i thought they fixed the grease drainage issue with the back drain? this not the case?

8 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

The one I posted above is made by Wolf.  It works great and all, but it’s too small for the $550 price tag in my opinion.  The only reason I even have it is because we bought a whole new Sub Zero / Wolf appliance package for our kitchen remodel and if you spent a certain amount, you got some credits toward some shit like knives and pots and countertop appliances.  We chose a coffee maker, toaster, knife set and that griddle all for “free”.  They’re all great but I’m glad I didn’t pay retail for any of them.

fair enough, thanks!

1 hour ago, NoName said:

I think Blackstone is just the cheapest well known brand.  I got mine at Walmart.  There are probably a lot more higher quality options if you want to spend more money.  I assume the surface of Blackstone is solid quality steel, but the other components seem to be pretty cheap, and it looks cheap, but I knew that because I was buying it from Walmart.  As far as the grease drain mine has the back drain which I don't find to be an issue.  It's easy to push the excess grease to the drain.  Not sure what the issue was with the front drain?  Just awkward cleaning?

• Like 1

fair enough, thanks!

I love mine, I’ve used the hell out of it with pretty much nothing to complain about. My biggest gripe would be the size of the drain hole for the grease and the drain leading to it. I’ve thought about drilling it out, but I’m most likely just going to cut the end off so there’s no cap. I did look at a new Blackstone stainless that I really liked with a cover and stuff that I thought about buying.
  • Like 1

On 4/20/2020 at 10:41 AM, Gene Parmesan said:

I think Blackstone is just the cheapest well known brand.  I got mine at Walmart.  There are probably a lot more higher quality options if you want to spend more money.  I assume the surface of Blackstone is solid quality steel, but the other components seem to be pretty cheap, and it looks cheap, but I knew that because I was buying it from Walmart.  As far as the grease drain mine has the back drain which I don't find to be an issue.  It's easy to push the excess grease to the drain.  Not sure what the issue was with the front drain?  Just awkward cleaning?

Yeah those of us with the drain towards the back haven’t had a issue. I think the older model with the side drain is the issue. 

• Like 1

Yeah those of us with the drain towards the back haven’t had a issue. I think the older model with the side drain is the issue. 
The old style drain was just messy with the channel in the front and the way there is a hole right at the drain that would let the grease drip down the side and not into the catcher. Dogs like it.
To help with the mess, I tied a hand towel down the right front leg that catches it before it gets to the ground.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally retired my 5+ year old 36” and got the pro series 36”. I’ve been dying to try the models with the grease tray in the back since I first saw them in stores. Went online to get one and saw the pro series and couldn’t resist.

Pros:
- trash bag holder is awesome
- paper towel holder is awesome
- it’s solid. I was never concerned with the old one, but since it is designed to fold/be portable, it wiggled
- lid is insulated, no need to use domes, just close the lid
- have yet to have drips and the grease tray is much bigger

Cons:
- I think the price is a bit high
- the shelves are too high, all the heat from under the griddle top flows right onto the shelves (have the melted plastic to prove it).
- drawer slides could be better quality. They work but not very smooth

So far it wipes clean (just like the old model), nice to not have grease running down the legs and having to take the knobs off to clean grease off of them.

75cf017e18514b6eb1750fff46c689a1.jpg

• Like 3

Finally retired my 5+ year old 36” and got the pro series 36”. I’ve been dying to try the models with the grease tray in the back since I first saw them in stores. Went online to get one and saw the pro series and couldn’t resist.

Pros:
- it’s solid. I was never concerned with the old one, but since it is designed to fold/be portable, it wiggled

Cons:
- the shelves are too high, all the heat from under the griddle top flows right onto the shelves (have the melted plastic to prove it).

So far it wipes clean (just like the old model), nice to not have grease running down the legs and having to take the knobs off to clean grease off of them.

I got the shelf with the trash bag/paper towel holder and cutting board by itself for around $40 for my regular 36”.

5 hours ago, Flg8rfan said:

Pros:

Cons:

Can you elaborate on the melted plastic issue? This thread has convinced me to buy one of those, and would appreciate a photo to educate me as to what exactly melted, and can it be corrected?

Can you elaborate on the melted plastic issue? This thread has convinced me to buy one of those, and would appreciate a photo to educate me as to what exactly melted, and can it be corrected?

It’s in the trash ;-). I use (used) a cheap plastic bowl for water to wipe it down before initial seasoning and had it sitting in the middle of the shelf. The heat coming out melted the side of it. Good news is the melted plastic wiped right off the shelf ;-)

I had the wrap around shelf for my old one and it would do the same thing if you had plastic too close to the griddle, the bowl was a bit farther away from the cook surface out of habit.

I now have a small table I set up now when cooking just to keep everything there, there’s just not enough space on the shelves for stuff that can’t get hot.

It was a solid upgrade, my old one got a heck of a lot of use (even my wife would cook on it a lot—she never cooked on our grill when we had one).

1 hour ago, Flg8rfan said:

It’s in the trash ;-). I use (used) a cheap plastic bowl for water to wipe it down before initial seasoning and had it sitting in the middle of the shelf. The heat coming out melted the side of it. Good news is the melted plastic wiped right off the shelf 😉

I had the wrap around shelf for my old one and it would do the same thing if you had plastic too close to the griddle, the bowl was a bit farther away from the cook surface out of habit.

I now have a small table I set up now when cooking just to keep everything there, there’s just not enough space on the shelves for stuff that can’t get hot.

It was a solid upgrade, my old one got a heck of a lot of use (even my wife would cook on it a lot—she never cooked on our grill when we had one).

Thank you. 

14 hours ago, Flg8rfan said:

Pros:

Cons:

still need a cover to keep it dry in rain, right? 

I still have the grill drop in for my old blackstone, never used in 3 years.

I just don’t see the point in it, everything comes out great on the griddle, why mess with a good thing

If something comes up to where I have more cash than I can ever spend, maybe I’ll get a
BGE if I want something with grill marks ;-).

• 3 weeks later...

Serious question...have some of ya'll traded in your traditional grills for these things?

I love grilling.  And I'm a huge Weber fanboi.  I currently have what I would call a temporary Weber and am probably going to be in the market for a new one soon.  The one I really have my eye on is their top of the line Summit, which retails for about $3,600.

I've spent a little bit of time fucking around cooking on this little countertop griddle I have (mentioned up-thread) and I'll be damned if I haven't been able to make just about everything on it.  A lot of which I could never do on a grill.  I absolutely love that little thing.

So, poking around just a little and it looks like the top of the line Blackstone Pro Series is only like $500.  Do I need to be rethinking my allegiance to Weber and traditional grills in general?  Can I just get one of these and save $3K and still have a better product?

I mostly do burgers, steaks, dogs/brats, fish, porkchops, chicken breasts, etc on the grill.  Can these griddles do all that?  Can they get hot enough to get a good sear on a steak?  What's the drawback here?

Serious question...have some of ya'll traded in your traditional grills for these things?
I love grilling.  And I'm a huge Weber fanboi.  I currently have what I would call a temporary Weber and am probably going to be in the market for a new one soon.  The one I really have my eye on is their top of the line Summit, which retails for about $3,600.
I've spent a little bit of time fucking around cooking on this little countertop griddle I have (mentioned up-thread) and I'll be damned if I haven't been able to make just about everything on it.  A lot of which I could never do on a grill.  I absolutely love that little thing.
So, poking around just a little and it looks like the top of the line Blackstone Pro Series is only like $500.  Do I need to be rethinking my allegiance to Weber and traditional grills in general?  Can I just get one of these and save $3K and still have a better product?
I mostly do burgers, steaks, dogs/brats, fish, porkchops, chicken breasts, etc on the grill.  Can these griddles do all that?  Can they get hot enough to get a good sear on a steak?  What's the drawback here?

Mine didn’t replace my BGE, it coexists along side it.
As great as the Blackstone is, it can’t make a great steak. It can get hot enough, but you won’t get the flavor from the coals, you have to rely totally on seasoning.
But your not grilling, your basically frying it. Just not the same.
I will say I use the Blackstone a hell of a lot more than I thought I would.

31 minutes ago, BigDHornfan said:

As great as the Blackstone is, it can’t make a great steak. It can get hot enough, but you won’t get the flavor from the coals, you have to rely totally on seasoning.

I disagree with this heavily. 

39 minutes ago, BigDHornfan said:

Well I'm only using a propane grill anyway so the charcoal thing doesn't really apply there.

A griddle will get plenty hot without a high flow regulator. I think mine gets around 600*. When I got mine, I pretty much quite using my grill and then I got rid of it and didn’t replace it. It needed some parts.

I’ve got a cheap charcoal one for grilling now. You can still cook a solid steak on a griddle. Might need a little more trial and error.

On 4/6/2020 at 9:13 PM, mycox said:

This is the way to make a smash burger; you can use two spatulas as the above poster said. He talks too much, but generally has some good cooking vids.  I also want his $3,500 griddle

He took it up a notch with his new one...

• Like 1

I bought my first griddle when (like you) I was looking at new grills, I figured it wasn’t that expensive and worth trying out. I probably will get a BGE at some point, but dont regret not having a grill.

You can do so much more with a griddle and it’s pretty easy to clean. Last night I did a copycat Alice springs chicken on it and it was fantastic, was able to cook the bacon, mushrooms, and chicken breast pretty much at the same time, then smothered with cheese and closed the lid to melt. Fajitas are fast and easy, can do a huge breakfast without heating up the house. Plus I can cook 5lbs of bacon at one go ;-)

Something that I tried last night with our smash burgers was when I flipped the burger, I put a squirt of mustard on the griddle and then put the patty on top of it. Wife said something about it before I started cooking as that is one way that In and Out can make your burger. Not that I'm a fan of In and Out but they came out pretty good. Just a way to change things up. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Both Tacos said:
10 hours ago, Mac8111 said:
So is Blackstone the go to brand on one of these?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's probably to mostly sold brand but there are others like Camp Chef that make a good griddle.

In the, spending way too much time on this, homework I’ve been doing, reviews I’ve seen give Camp Chef the slight edge.  Blackstone looks to have more available options though