Griddle me this Batman

Both Tacos

Just put my Weber summit of 14 years out to pasture (well having to my buddy). In comes the Blackstone. Had one forever at he lake. Realized there I never used the grill. Since putting one at the homestead, I haven’t missed the gas grill one bit. And still have a charcoal grill for steak. 

• Like 1

I just got the kit in the mail yesterday to convert my burner orifices to natural gas so I did that last night. Of course, despite being less than 5 months old, one of the stock orifices was stripped from the jump. Anyway, finished that last night, fired it up to take temps and it seems to get slightly hotter than on LP even, which is great. It was maxing out at about 350 on the surface with the stock orifices and natural gas. 

But - I let it cool down and left the covers off of it and forgot. And I woke up to rain. I guess as soon as it stops raining I'm just going to towel dry and then fire it up again to steam it off? 

• 2 weeks later...

Finally made the leap. Ended grabbing the one at Walmart that had the two side burners with the deep fryer set up.

We just did pancakes and bacon for dinner to give it a test run. So nice to be able to cook with some volume and everything was done pretty quick.

I can’t imagine I will need the propane grill anymore. Blackstone & Green Egg should be able to get me where I need to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finally made the leap. Ended grabbing the one at Walmart that had the two side burners with the deep fryer set up.

We just did pancakes and bacon for dinner to give it a test run. So nice to be able to cook with some volume and everything was done pretty quick.

I can’t imagine I will need the propane grill anymore. Blackstone & Green Egg should be able to get me where I need to go.

That’s my setup.

12 hours ago, Mac8111 said:

Welcome to the dark side. Your ID card should arrive in 7-10 days.   

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anyone else have issues with roaches? Last two times I’ve uncovered, one of those bastards has scurried off the top. Also a bunch of their little turds on there that I have to get rid of. 

I know the heat will kill anything too bad, but it’s still disgusting to think about. 

Anyone else have issues with roaches? Last two times I’ve uncovered, one of those bastards has scurried off the top. Also a bunch of their little turds on there that I have to get rid of. 

I know the heat will kill anything too bad, but it’s still disgusting to think about. 
Sounds like you need some pesticide barrier spray around your patio.

I know it was posted before but what is a good fried rice recipe
I just cook white rice, throw it on the griddle with some oil. Let it "fry" as you stir. Add the soy sauce to your liking. Then scramble the eggs (3 in this one) in the middle of the rice and mix in. You can add peas and scallions if you want.
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Both Tacos said:
10 hours ago, Updawg said:
I know it was posted before but what is a good fried rice recipe

I just cook white rice, throw it on the griddle with some oil. Let it "fry" as you stir. Add the soy sauce to your liking. Then scramble the eggs (3 in this one) in the middle of the rice and mix in. You can add peas and scallions if you want.

Add a little of the red pepper/garlic sauce for heat.  Also, fried rice is best made with rice made the day before and left in the refrigerator overnight.  The  rice firms up and will not be soggy when fried.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, AustinMT said:

Add a little of the red pepper/garlic sauce for heat.  Also, fried rice is best made with rice made the day before and left in the refrigerator overnight.  The  rice firms up and will not be soggy when fried.

This is correct.  It's like french toast or bread crumbs, some of the only foods that are actually better when not using fresh ingredients.

On 8/12/2020 at 7:42 AM, AustinMT said:

needs to be eaten from a 1 pt styrofoam container

i wonder what the green sauce from the roach coach on the south mall was

• 2 weeks later...

Griddled up some Surf & Turf last night. Scallops and Chicken with okra. Used some Tony's on the okra for a little zip and it was damn good. First time trying the okra on the griddle. Will be in the rotation now.

Instead of having it all cooking at once and accidentally overcooking the scallops, I cooked it one dish at a time and put in a warm aluminum pan on a burner that I had on medium and then turned it off. Okra was first, then chicken, then the scallops. f5cb8a43b3d51231af63ccc7cf9cdafe.jpgdf837b51179b20800caa83470f855809.jpgb4dbaa2c362ab9ca89ffd2ff5601e98f.jpg44808b0c8e67219d14e676c8dccce18f.jpg12fc85612e9cd13c474968987ae169dc.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4

On 8/12/2020 at 7:42 AM, AustinMT said:

The absolute best sauce to add to fried rice is the Thai condiment nagm prik pla. Go to an Asian grocery and get your hands on some Thai fish sauce. Add lime juice, garlic and chiles.  Thai bird chiles are obviously the first choice if you can find them. 

• 4 weeks later...

Unexpected bonus of this purchase was saturday, when weather was gorgeous, made legit breakfast and lunch meals for my family and from 730 a.m. to 900 pm, I spent 13 out of 13.5 hours outside at our ranchito.  It was so great to bring in the fall (until it hits 95 degrees in a week or two when summer tells me to eat shit again)

do you add syrup to those?  

syrup and bacon, good.

syrup and cheese, good?

Yea...pure maple for me.

Idea straight up stolen from Pacha Cafe on Brunet Rd just a block or so north of 45th.

Pre-cook the bacon (microwave to short cut) about 75%, then cut into chunks.

Hot (400+) griddle

Pour out pancakes (Alton Brown’s “Instant” recipe on Food Network app) on griddle.

Add bacon first, then shredded sharp cheddar.

Flip, let sit...then use stiff steel spatula to get under it, and flip over again to make sur cheese is crusted up.

Smother with maple syrup

16 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

Yea...pure maple for me.

Idea straight up stolen from Pacha Cafe on Brunet Rd just a block or so north of 45th.

Pre-cook the bacon (microwave to short cut) about 75%, then cut into chunks.

Hot (400+) griddle

Pour out pancakes (Alton Brown’s “Instant” recipe on Food Network app) on griddle.

Add bacon first, then shredded sharp cheddar.

Flip, let sit...then use stiff steel spatula to get under it, and flip over again to make sur cheese is crusted up.

Smother with maple syrup

Pacha is amazing and they need support.  They just re-opened.  Grab a coffee and some breakfast.

So to piggyback on some of this discussion upthread, I'm in the process of designing an outdoor kitchen.   I already have a Big Joe for smoking.  I was planning on getting this '30 inch electric (https://www.legriddle.com/le-griddle-electric/) and pairing with a small built in gas grill.   But now I'm wondering if I really need both.  If you already have charcoal option for large cooks, is there anything you feel like you prefer cooking on a gas grill?  Wondering if I might should just do a larger griddle instead of both.

• Like 1

So to piggyback on some of this discussion upthread, I'm in the process of designing an outdoor kitchen.   I already have a Big Joe for smoking.  I was planning on getting this '30 inch electric (https://www.legriddle.com/le-griddle-electric/) and pairing with a small built in gas grill.   But now I'm wondering if I really need both.  If you already have charcoal option for large cooks, is there anything you feel like you prefer cooking on a gas grill?  Wondering if I might should just do a larger griddle instead of both.
Yes, go with a large gas griddle and the Big Joe. You'll have all your bases covered.
  • Like 2

Just ordered a Genesis II 3 burner grill to replace an old Ducane that finally crossed over the rainbow bridge.  My back patio isn't big enough for a griddle + BGE + Weber Genesis.  I noted a couple of posts way back talking about griddle inserts but nothing terribly helpful.  Would you all recommend stainless over cast iron?  This would be for time to time use and storage rather than full time griddle.  The "Little Griddle" looks promising (as opposed to the Weber cast iron griddle) but I hoped you guys might have some more insight.  There also appear to be some other options on Amazon (stainless griddles with backsplashes).

4 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

Just ordered a Genesis II 3 burner grill to replace an old Ducane that finally crossed over the rainbow bridge.  My back patio isn't big enough for a griddle + BGE + Weber Genesis.  I noted a couple of posts way back talking about griddle inserts but nothing terribly helpful.  Would you all recommend stainless over cast iron?  This would be for time to time use and storage rather than full time griddle.  The "Little Griddle" looks promising (as opposed to the Weber cast iron griddle) but I hoped you guys might have some more insight.  There also appear to be some other options on Amazon (stainless griddles with backsplashes).

I just kind of stumbled onto this combination at my boat slip.  Had to get an electric grill for out there and decided, since it's pretty much my only cooking source out there, I probably needed to turn one side into a griddle.  So, I bought the weber cast iron griddle to replace one side of the grates.

So, started with this...

https://www.weber.com/US/en/grills/electric-grills/q-electric-series/55020001.html

And replaced one side with this...

https://www.weber.com/US/en/accessories/cooking/griddles-and-planchas/6559.html?cgid=1336#start=1

End result, really damn handy little griddle that I now do about 95% of all my cooking on out there.  Really only use the grill side to keep stuff warm and an occasional place to char stuff.

So, with that said, I would replace one grate with this and see how it works...

https://www.weber.com/US/en/accessories/cooking/griddles-and-planchas/7599.html?cgid=1336#start=1

• Hook 'Em 1

We frequently do sous vide steak then sear.  Typically on our old stand alone gas grill I plan to get rid of soon unless I have my Kamodo going for something else.    Any downside to utilizing a griddle to sear (other than no grill marks I guess which I could probably live with).