Griddle me this Batman

Both Tacos

On 1/1/2021 at 8:44 PM, Both Tacos said:

^^^Same, but the detachable lids aren't really made for cooking like the pro series with the built on lids. If I had the pro, I may use it during cooking sometime.

That would make sense. When i was cooking the smoked sausage, it was so cold and windy that the top wasn't getting hot and was having to constantly flip it. Probably part of the reason the steaks came out a little more cooked than I wanted. 

That would make sense. When i was cooking the smoked sausage, it was so cold and windy that the top wasn't getting hot and was having to constantly flip it. Probably part of the reason the steaks came out a little more cooked than I wanted. 

The lid on the pro series isn’t as good as putting a dome on a burger to melt the cheese but is just like closing the lid on a grill. Sometimes you need to keep the heat in.

Never had the detachable lid for my old one so I can only guess how that works. Seems painful

3 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

How does steak turn out on the griddle?  I usually sous vide then sear on a cast iron skillet at very high heat as I can get it hotter on my stove than griddle (using the big gas used to boil water quickly).

But just straight cooking on griddle how does it compare to a gas grill?

I like it a lot.  Very good for cooking steak with onions and mushrooms and then glazing with bourbon.

See posts 411, 412 and 428.

Edited by deadshank
  • Hook 'Em 1

23 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

How does steak turn out on the griddle?  I usually sous vide then sear on a cast iron skillet at very high heat as I can get it hotter on my stove than griddle (using the big gas used to boil water quickly).

But just straight cooking on griddle how does it compare to a gas grill?

My second attempt came out perfectly medium rare with a nice sear. I have surface thermometer and it showed between 525 and 550 after about 10 minutes of heating up. Did 4 minutes per side and about 5 minutes in the oven at 350

2 hours ago, Hunt Stevenson said:

Got a Blackstone for Christmas and so far have done the full breakfast (multiple times), beef fajitas, smash burgers, hibachi chicken/veggies and fried rice, and Mongolian beef and fried rice.  

Want to do cheese steaks and al pastor soon.  

What else is a must griddle? I’m a first timer.  

Tell me more about the Mongolian Beef

• Like 1

Got a Blackstone for Christmas and so far have done the full breakfast (multiple times), beef fajitas, smash burgers, hibachi chicken/veggies and fried rice, and Mongolian beef and fried rice.  

Want to do cheese steaks and al pastor soon.  

What else is a must griddle? I’m a first timer.  
What else must you griddle....EVERYTHING. I do a lot of seafood like fish and scallops. Any veggie is good on it..
Check out FB groups for Blackstone recipes. Tons on there.

9 hours ago, Post Oak said:

Pancakes are so ridiculously easy on a Blackstone.  Especially if you're making a bunch.  I hated doing pancakes in a pan or on a griddle.  They took too long. The Blackstone has changed my life.  I can knock out enough for the whole family in 10mins.

This.  We make Huge FN Pancakes on the griddle.  Kids love it.  They also don't mind the full package of bacon that I can knock out with the quickness. 

• Hook 'Em 4

On 1/13/2021 at 8:55 AM, Post Oak said:

Pancakes are so ridiculously easy on a Blackstone.  Especially if you're making a bunch.  I hated doing pancakes in a pan or on a griddle.  They took too long. The Blackstone has changed my life.  I can knock out enough for the whole family in 10mins.

We consistently entertain a bunch of families and breakfast is 10x easier for us.  No pots or pans.  Dozen pancakes, lots of bacon, and 8 eggs while enjoying the outdoors (or at least the screened in patio).  

Been wanting to do crepes though.

I was a short order cook in a former life, and have always loved cooking on the plancha.  After spending Christmas week at my inlaws cooking on the griddle top on their indoor range, I've started down the rabbit hole.  My current setup is a Weber Genesis 330 NG and large BGE.  Have considered the little griddle, and the griddlemaster pro insert.  Little griddle grease management seems stupid.  Griddlemaster grease managment is non-existent. I would lean towards the griddlemaster and just leave it in the Weber in place of the grates, but the only way to clean the grease is scoop it up with a spatula?  There's a video on their youtube where the dude cooks a bunch of bacon and then spends a minute scooping burning hot bacon grease into a stainless mixing bowl.  Ain't nobody got time for that.  Plus, the price of a griddlemaster is perilously close to a 36" blackstone without any accessories.  One way or the other, this is bound to happen

DDD - what did you wind up doing? 

Edited by Lazarus Bocanegra

1 hour ago, Lazarus Bocanegra said:

I was a short order cook in a former life, and have always loved cooking on the plancha.  After spending Christmas week at my inlaws cooking on the griddle top on their indoor range, I've started down the rabbit hole.  My current setup is a Weber Genesis 330 NG and large BGE.  Have considered the little griddle, and the griddlemaster pro insert.  Little griddle grease management seems stupid.  Griddlemaster grease managment is non-existent. I would lean towards the griddlemaster and just leave it in the Weber in place of the grates, but the only way to clean the grease is scoop it up with a spatula?  There's a video on their youtube where the dude cooks a bunch of bacon and then spends a minute scooping burning hot bacon grease into a stainless mixing bowl.  Ain't nobody got time for that.  Plus, the price of a griddlemaster is perilously close to a 36" blackstone without any accessories.  One way or the other, this is bound to happen

This may sound ridiculous, but if you went with the Griddlemaster could you drill a smallish hole in one corner with a grease trap underneath... or something like that?

2 hours ago, Jimbaround said:

This may sound ridiculous, but if you went with the Griddlemaster could you drill a smallish hole in one corner with a grease trap underneath... or something like that?

Definitely thought of that.  The weber grease trap is under the top left of the grill, so I thought I could drill/cut a hole above that corner and just let the grease drain into the grill trap.  But it sure seems dumb to have to spend $200+ and then have to cut a hole when I could spend ~$300 and have a whole new toy 

Edited by Lazarus Bocanegra

33 minutes ago, Lazarus Bocanegra said:

Definitely thought of that.  The weber grease trap is under the top left of the grill, so I thought I could drill/cut a hole above that corner and just let the grease drain into the grill trap.  But it sure seems dumb to have to spend $200+ and then have to cut a hole when I could spend ~$300 and have a whole new toy 

Good point.  I didn't realize the Griddlemaster had such a high pricetag.

On 10/19/2020 at 12:29 PM, Landomatic said:

With all due respect, I don't think Ginny needs you cooking any better than you already do.

In all seriousness though, I don't know why the Camp Chef doesn't get more love around here.  People outside of Surly group think seem to love them.  That's probably what I'll get if I decide to pull the trigger...

https://www.amazon.com/Camp-Chef-Flat-Top-Grill/dp/B00L9XAMTQ/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=Camp+Chef+Flat+Top+Grill&qid=1603128603&sr=8-3

With this cover...

https://www.amazon.com/Backyard-Life-Gear-Griddle-Stainless/dp/B07C8D1XQX/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Backyard+Life+Gear+Griddle+Cover+for+Camp+Chef+Flat+Top+Griddle+FTG600&qid=1603128650&sr=8-1

I'm a little late, but the same cover is $50 cheaper on Etsy
https://www.etsy.com/listing/633236451/camp-chef-ftg-600-griddle-cover-griddle?ref=reviews

Have you looked on bbqhack.com? They have a bunch of inserts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 1/16/2021 at 7:45 AM, burns_312 said:

Have you looked on bbqhack.com? They have a bunch of inserts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for that.  Got their gas griddle hack on the way.  $119, and was able to use the funny money in my paypal account.  That's a win all the way around.  A smaller surface area than the others, but that rear grease hole is probably the best solution of the toppers I've seen.  Will revisit after some time 

BBQHack shipped and arrived within a couple of days.  First impressions out of the box are about what one would expect for a griddle top in that price range.  1/8" steel all around, cross bracing underneath.  The build quality appears adequate - it's a little out of square but mostly sits level on the grill top.  Seasoned it up over the weekend, then did a trial run with some bacon to get it nice and greased up.  Just a minor little third degree burn through the silicone glove just north of the thumb knuckle trying to flip it after seasoning to cook the bacon.  PSA - those ribs on the grip of the silicone mitt are spaced just about 1/8"...they perfectly accomodate a piping hot edge of carbon steel griddle. 

Smash burgers last night slammed and went hard.  There's a mojo pork shoulder marinating since yesterday morning gonna get et tonight 

/nopics

• Hook 'Em 2

43 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

What temp do you run for the steaks, high heat?

All the way.  Wall to wall and tree top tall.  Max heat.  6 minutes per side, let the rest for 5 minutes.

Turns up just a seed hair over rare.  Perfection.

Right before I pull them I give them and the mushrooms & unjuns a glaze with whiskey and a torch for the flame up.

• Hook 'Em 2