Griddle me this Batman

Both Tacos

19 hours ago, thunderlounge said:

Not 100% sure. Less quality frame materials, and those kind of cuts. 

I originally looked at lowes last summer for mine during a sale, and honestly wasn’t impressed at all. Flimsy, wobbly, and just didn’t seem well made. I wasn’t going to get one after looking at it. I checked the things I could, and it wasn’t loose connections or anything. 

Another customer noticed I wasn’t really thrilled and suggested I go look at ace. 

I did, and it was night and day. Same looking griddle, but seemed more solid and well built. 

Researching later on, found out it’s similar to like a tv, etc. They make the same thing for walmart that’s lower grade to keep wally’s cost down, blah blah.

Also in that reading, I found some sound advice. If you’re getting 2 burners, get the 22”. Else get the 36” with 4 burners. The 28” with 2 burners eats way more gas to heat that extra 6 inches over the 22. 

Are you saying that there are different versions of Blackstone quality depending upon the retailer?  I find that hard to believe.

53 minutes ago, Native Horn said:

Are you saying that there are different versions of Blackstone quality depending upon the retailer?  I find that hard to believe.

I’m not stating as fact, just suggesting it is certainly a possibility, and care should be taken.

It happens all the time with things. TV’s for example. So it’s not implausible that this could be the case. 

I know there are different BTU burners. Not sure if it was just older ones or what, but you could get the differing ones at Walmart for sure.
  • Hook 'Em 1

I bought one from Walmart recently while it was on sale and have a hard time believing there would be a better quality black stone option. It’s better made than most propane grills I’ve had/used, especially at that price point. Maybe your Lowe’s or whatever just had a lemon on display, but mine is super sturdy and I have 0 complaints. YMMV I guess but I wouldn’t spend an extra $100 for an upgrade even if that were the case. 

I don't know about about quality differences, but they do exclusive model offerings for Walmart at least.  The one I bought was I think 174.99 several years ago and it looks just like this but with a gray coat, and at the time you could only get it through Walmart.  And at that time the basic 36'' model was also in the low 200s, but I opted for this because of the hood.  Now you are getting the 36" on sale for 300.  I also have a weber kettle and a smoker which I use a lot more than my griddle.  Considering the griddle doesn't replace anything for me, I probably wouldn't buy one at their current prices.

image.png.65bfe9c4d1b3008de6012bb3a29b1c4f.png

This is probably one of the easiest and tastiest meals you can make on the griddle.
Especially if you are trying to make some healthy dinner choices.
Boneless, Skinless Chicken Thighs with a good amount of lemon pepper. Put the lemon pepper on 10 minutes before you want the thighs on the griddle. When you think you have enough seasoning on both sides.....add some more. It makes a great crust.
Once you got them going drop down some oil and throw down your seasoned zucchini "fries". They will need to be flipped a couple of times and set to the side. If your timing is good, you put it on the griddle when you flip your thighs.
Now, once the thighs are getting about 3/4 way done, get a sharp knife and slice them up into chunks. They will be pink in the middle still so toss them together to finish cooking. This gives a nice texture all the way around the chunks.
Plate with a ceasar salet and you've got a tasty meal.e0ab670b47c730340f6233f72ced26f8.jpg16569b3ea59c6f0892ffdc2280856274.jpg

• Hook 'Em 5

On 7/19/2023 at 11:35 AM, Native Horn said:

I've been considering buying one so it's of interest to me. Just doing a quick spot check this morning:

Walmart's website is currently advertising a 36" inch blackstone with 4 burners and a hard cover for $297.00. Spec listing shows 38,000 BBTUs. Surface area is 762 sq. inches.

On Blackstone's website they have a 36" inch blackstone with 4 burners and a hard cover for $399. Specs show 60,000 BTUs. Surface area is 769 sq. inches.

I suspect there is also some of the "mattress retailer" game going on here. If every retailer gets a unique SKU (maybe a built in bottle opener) it negates large retailers having to price match others.

I would expect other differences as well for the 33% price discount, but the more relevant question is will the Wallyworld version be good enough.  I could  pay a lot more for a car capable of going 180mph, but I rarely crack 90 so I could give zero fucks that my car can't meet the top end specs.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Blotto said:

I've been considering buying one so it's of interest to me. Just doing a quick spot check this morning:

Walmart's website is currently advertising a 36" inch blackstone with 4 burners and a hard cover for $297.00. Spec listing shows 38,000 BBTUs. Surface area is 762 sq. inches.

On Blackstone's website they have a 36" inch blackstone with 4 burners and a hard cover for $399. Specs show 60,000 BTUs. Surface area is 769 sq. inches.

I suspect there is also some of the "mattress retailer" game going on here. If every retailer gets a unique SKU (maybe a built in bottle opener) it negates large retailers having to price match others.

I would expect other differences as well for the 33% price discount, but the more relevant question is will the Wallyworld version be good enough.  I could  pay a lot more for a car capable of going 180mph, but I rarely crack 90 so I could give zero fucks that my car can't meet the top end specs.

I think you answered your own question. I have no problems at all with this he one that I bought on the Walmart sale. 

15 minutes ago, hornbri said:

Well those are interesting. Reviews seem solid. 

I like them. Granted I’ve only used a few months, but so far it’s been worth the money.

The magnets hold onto the griddle top, and just hang there. It doesn’t seal the underside off completely, so there is plenty of air for combustion.

• 3 weeks later...

I’d worry about the aluminum leaching weird shit into my good I guess. Funny enough, I saw something just like that on insta a few weeks ago but the person was frying in their aluminum pan in the stove top inside. Darwin candidate right there.

1 minute ago, deft said:

I’d worry about the aluminum leaching weird shit into my good I guess. Funny enough, I saw something just like that on insta a few weeks ago but the person was frying in their aluminum pan in the stove top inside. Darwin candidate right there.

user icon checks out

1 hour ago, deft said:

So run out a shallow cast iron. Good seasoning run. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Pretty sure an awful lot of pans for frying fish are aluminum.

I mean yes, crawfish pots are also aluminum but it just seems different compared to metal turkey pans. Nonetheless, you probably got me on the “leaching into the cooking” thing.

Doesn’t change the fact that the video had a flimsy ass metal turkey pan filled with boiling oil on a gas stove while inside the house.

Pic is outside the house, unless driveway and Astroturf in bright sun is modern architecture. Aluminum pan is just fine, enjoy the fish.

I wasn’t talking about his pic. I’m talking about the instagram video I saw of someone frying in a pan on a stove.

Appalachian-American Gyro Night back in the brush. 

Lamb & WTD mixed with brisket, all the onions, shallots, garlic cloves, mint, parsley and spices mixed in.   Red onion with red wine vinegar & sumac garnish.   Garlic / herb sauce with a bunch of good stuff stirred in.  

Cukes and tomatoes to go with.  

Turned out finominile.  

IMG_8367.jpeg

IMG_8369.jpeg

IMG_8370.jpeg

IMG_8372.jpeg

IMG_8373.jpeg

IMG_8375.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

• 4 weeks later...
Breakfast sausage doesn’t seem to smash like burgers do but still comes out good and cooks fast.

Also I think I’ve over-seasoned my surface in places as it’s flaking off. Might need to strip it and re-season somehow.

Breakfast sausage has more fat, might be the difference. I’ve got to redraw on mine because of the seasoning flaking off in some areas.

1 hour ago, Buzzrock said:

Breakfast sausage doesn’t seem to smash like burgers do but still comes out good and cooks fast.

Also I think I’ve over-seasoned my surface in places as it’s flaking off. Might need to strip it and re-season somehow.

I’ve done this twice.   With the proper equipment, the task is not difficult but it is time consuming.  There are several YouTube videos on the topic.  

Corded and battery-powered drills with heavy grit sanding pads and wire wheel brushes.  Also, a detail sander for the corners and sides.   A Dremel is nice for getting the grease drain opening.  

Grind off all the build up, blow off the debris as you go to see what you’ve completed, check for quality of work and to give your hands a rest.  Once you’re done and happy with the removal work, dry wipe it down until your rags / paper towels come up clean.  

Give her the gas, Chester, and heat up the griddle surface to max heat.  Apply water until you’re reasonably sure you have removed all the crud.   Leave the heat on until the surface is dry (won’t take long).  

Apply your seasoning oil until you’re happy, run out of beer or booze or all of the above.  

I have found that flax seed oil works the best for seasoning the griddle surface.

Good luck. 

• Like 1

I found the shredded beef patties, essentially, at HEB like a restaurant would use and they turned out great. American cheese was the winner I think. Maybe just needed more provolone. Also, I just really love making cheesesteaks on here. Smash burgers are great but always end up being a crunch at the last minute for me… not sure it gets much easier than these.

IMG_3154.jpeg

IMG_3155.jpeg

Edited by Etexhorn13
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Drool 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/25/2023 at 7:27 PM, Etexhorn13 said:

I found the shredded beef patties, essentially, at HEB like a restaurant would use and they turned out great. American cheese was the winner I think. Maybe just needed more provolone. Also, I just really love making cheesesteaks on here. Smash burgers are great but always end up being a crunch at the last minute for me… not sure it gets much easier than these.

IMG_3154.jpeg

IMG_3155.jpeg

What buns do you use for cheesesteaks?  The ones I get at HEB suck. 

15 minutes ago, mycox said:

The only cheeseateak bun allowed is Amoroso's. Not easily found in Texas.

Exactly. Which is why the question "what buns do you use for cheesesteak" was asked.

I think the talera rolls at Central market work pretty well. They're sturdy and Central Market bakes them in more of a hoagie shape rather than a circular bun shape. 

• Hook 'Em 1