Griddle me this Batman

Both Tacos

54 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I've got a 2016 Weber Genesis 300 (not the II). So each grate is 19.5 x 13. I love the thing, so it's not going anywhere anytime soon. 

The griddles you can put on top just seem like they're cutting into the surface area, and you'd have to rich over a lip. I guess more than anything I'm surprised there aren't more inserts that you can just drop in, use, clean and let cool and then take inside and stash in the laundry room somewhere. 

But you're right. Considering the cost of Griddles, it really is getting to the "Why the hell not?" point. Thanks man. 

ok, i THINK this is what you are looking for @SydneyCarton

https://www.weber.com/US/en/accessories/cooking/griddles-and-planchas/7566.html?cgid=1336#start=1

Shows as having free shipping currently on the Weber site, so you can have it for about $80 shipped. 

They have other parts for the Genesis II on their website (link), I think this one should fit your grill - the non II version.

The product page at Weber doesn't have pictures, but this Amazon listing does have a few: https://www.amazon.com/Weber-7566-Porcelain-Enameled-Griddle-Genesis/dp/B004LAWBKM

image showing it on grill from that Amazon listing:spacer.png

27 minutes ago, NoName said:

ok, i THINK this is what you are looking for @SydneyCarton

https://www.weber.com/US/en/accessories/cooking/griddles-and-planchas/7566.html?cgid=1336#start=1

Shows as having free shipping currently on the Weber site, so you can have it for about $80 shipped. 

They have other parts for the Genesis II on their website (link), I think this one should fit your grill - the non II version.

The product page at Weber doesn't have pictures, but this Amazon listing does have a few: https://www.amazon.com/Weber-7566-Porcelain-Enameled-Griddle-Genesis/dp/B004LAWBKM

image showing it on grill from that Amazon listing:spacer.png

Oh fuck, awesome dude. That is fucking exactly what I'm looking for!. Thank you!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Aaaaand the Weber page is out of stock. Or "Unfortunately, we were unable to locate the desired content."

damn. would certainly call them then, it is showing as discontinued at Lowes/HD. also, it showed up for me w/o that error earlier today when i was looking...

you can also click on the retailers link then "buy local" at the top of the screen and maybe call around? there is some place called BBQ Outfitters in Austin that is listed that maybe can help?

1 minute ago, NoName said:

damn. would certainly call them then, it is showing as discontinued at Lowes/HD. also, it showed up for me w/o that error earlier today when i was looking...

you can also click on the retailers link then "buy local" at the top of the screen and maybe call around? there is some place called BBQ Outfitters in Austin that is listed that maybe can help?

The error only popped up when I tried to actually order it. I'll definitely call and ask around. There's some spots here in Houston that might have it.

Thanks, man!

I have one of those inserts for my Weber grill.  I used it a lot for veggies, but I think they are porcelain enameled so I don't think you can go at it with a scraper like you can with a griddle.  If you do go that route and are going to grill up a bunch of bacon or something, double check that the grease drain off doesn't get next to the burners below, because it's just going to drain down into your grill drip pan.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/23/2020 at 9:58 AM, SydneyCarton said:

Oh fuck, awesome dude. That is fucking exactly what I'm looking for!. Thank you!

Little Griddle Pro model. I can barely shut the lid on my Weber. It is plenty big. Those inserts above look like a bad idea. Draining into the grill, blocking all the heat, and a split down the middle to decrease surface area and make a mess. Plus it is not stainless.

Be sure and season it per Blackstone instructions, this method seems to get the entire surface seasoned equally. I have read on other forums where the poster cooked a shit ton of bacon and called it good, not sure that’s the best system.

All they recommend is that you get a high smoking point oil to the smoke point.  Then do it again and it's seasoned.  Wipe it down with oil once it's cooled and you're ready to cook on it.

I don't know anything about Blackstone selling "seasoning" to season the top.  It's just high heat oil.  I do know that bacon is grease and not oil and for long life it's probably best to just follow the simple directions.

My 36" blackstone arrived today.  Gonna break it in at deer lease  this weekend.  Hello, clogged arteries!!! 

Check out this video on how to season your griddle and that cook a slab of bacon isn't recommended. Now, I've never used Flaxseed oil but if you can get some the reasoning behind it seems reasonable. I've just used avacado, olive or vegetable oils.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BigDHornfan said:

Note that that one is the old style with front drain.  The new style has rear drain. It's been discussed up thread, but the rear drain has worked well for me.

Here is new @ walmart for $240: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Blackstone-4-Burner-36-Griddle-Cooking-Station-with-Side-Shelves/415776934?

$180 off CL is too expensive by my view.  Maybe if it had a cover and other accessories. That one looks to be in good shape, but it appears that you will have to reseason the thing. 

10 hours ago, Both Tacos said:

Check out this video on how to season your griddle and that cook a slab of bacon isn't recommended. Now, I've never used Flaxseed oil but if you can get some the reasoning behind it seems reasonable. I've just used avacado, olive or vegetable oils.  

I used flax and I still have some areas with problems. I think that the key is to go very, very, very thin with each coat to promote a strong polymerization. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the input, meatheads.  I will assemble and season tomorrow at deer lease.  Seasoning the thing seems to be low-tech as shown in most of the videos avaiable for viewing.  I'm sure some propellerhead can geek it up with llama estrogen extract and narwhal blubber.  I'm going with straight canola.  It's cold rolled steel.  What could go wrong?

Pour one out for me if you see a mushroom cloud about 90 miles WSW of San Antonio.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

Note that that one is the old style with front drain.  The new style has rear drain. It's been discussed up thread, but the rear drain has worked well for me.

Here is new @ walmart for $240: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Blackstone-4-Burner-36-Griddle-Cooking-Station-with-Side-Shelves/415776934?

$180 off CL is too expensive by my view.  Maybe if it had a cover and other accessories. That one looks to be in good shape, but it appears that you will have to reseason the thing. 

Shit yea, that's way cheaper than Amazon.   Thanks!

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

No doubt.  $240 for new latest model is better than $180 for used older model...in anything

2 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

Is the 2burner one worth getting or should I spend 50 bucks more and get the 4 

Family of 4 with two elementary age kids

It will be big enough but I'd go ahead and get the 36'' if that's the price difference.  You don't have to use all 4 burners and would have a larger area for warm zones.

• Like 1

get the 36”.
Since we're talking seasoning and there isn't a cast iron thread here, how do y'all go about reseasoning cast iron pans? Mines gotten a little rough in points, do you completely strip it first or just season on top of what's already there?

I’d season on top of what’s there unless it’s really bad. Rinse the pan with hot water and dry it. Get it hot and wipe some oil on it, most people use bacon grease. A lot of people are starting to use flaxseed oil as mentioned above, I’ve never used it, but I’ve got some stuff I want to try it on.

Wipe off the excess oil. Put in a 350* oven for a hour or so. Turn the oven off and let it cool. That’s from Lodges instructions.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mycox said:

It isn't that hard. Treat it with vegetable oil and then cook some greasy food on it. As mention mealier just like a cast iron skillet.

A friend of mine (aggy) suggested "Mexican" chorizo.  I declined and said "no, I'm going with Lithuanian chorizo."

He's still pondering that.

5 hours ago, Post Oak said:

You ever want to cook hibachi style for family and friends?  Get the 36".  You can have the rice, the meats and the veggies all on it at once.

For seasoning, Canola oil is fine.  Just remember to use a very small amount.  Like a teaspoon or so.  Rub it in with a paper towel.  Then rub it in with a fresh paper towel.  Then another.  If there's any shine at all, it's too much oil and it will cause some sticky spots.  Then, you put the pan in the oven a bit above smoke point (about 425 F for Canola) for about an hour or so.  Let it cool in the oven.

Smoke point for Flax seed is way lower.  I don't remember if you are stripping seasoning at a certain point above smoke point with seasoning.

Edited by dcbc