Griddle me this Batman

Both Tacos

7 hours ago, Both Tacos said:
11 hours ago, Mac8111 said:
So is Blackstone the go to brand on one of these?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's probably to mostly sold brand but there are others like Camp Chef that make a good griddle.

just coat your raw meat balls with mustard during prep.  works great

kinky

On 6/1/2020 at 5:21 AM, Landomatic said:

Serious question...have some of ya'll traded in your traditional grills for these things?

I mostly do burgers, steaks, dogs/brats, fish, porkchops, chicken breasts, etc on the grill.  Can these griddles do all that?  Can they get hot enough to get a good sear on a steak?  What's the drawback here?

A griddle is a glorified, very large frying pan. You're pan--frying everything you cook on a griddle. You don't get the air movement and you don't get the chemical compounds of a grill (either gas or charcoal - gas still has some of the chemical compounds from oils dripping off the food, charcoal obviously has all the chemical compounds from the charcoal as well). Griddle can't get as hot as certain grills (griddle will max out 500 or so, grills can do 700), but not a huge difference. For the foods you list, it'd be fine. You lose a little bit of flavor potential on the burger, steak, pork, and fish, but you gain a ton of convenience. From the tone of your question I think you already know it's a good move for you.

So is Blackstone the go to brand on one of these?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like someone mentioned, they’re probably all pretty much the same as far as the actual griddle and using it. Blackstone definitely seems to have more options right now.

These things don’t seem sturdy enough

I’ll admit the 36” one I had that the legs folded up on to transport always had me worried but it never failed ;-). I took it a few places but not enough to want to keep portability as an option. The proline is one solid beast though

Assembled my second 36" blackstone last night. Got one for the house and got rid of the greel. 

2 neighbors came over to ogle it. They've been wanting to get one.  It was funny and kinda like old movies where some dude in the 50s gets the first TV on the block and his meathead buddies come over to check it out. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Turkleton said:

Got my 28" Blackstone a couple of weeks ago. Went to Wallyworld and bought a conversion kit for my outdoor gas line. Absolutely love the convenience of this thing, plus I don't have to worry about propane running out. Damn game changer...... 

Couldn't you have done that with your regular grill?

21 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

A griddle is a glorified, very large frying pan. You're pan--frying everything you cook on a griddle. You don't get the air movement and you don't get the chemical compounds of a grill (either gas or charcoal - gas still has some of the chemical compounds from oils dripping off the food, charcoal obviously has all the chemical compounds from the charcoal as well). Griddle can't get as hot as certain grills (griddle will max out 500 or so, grills can do 700), but not a huge difference. For the foods you list, it'd be fine. You lose a little bit of flavor potential on the burger, steak, pork, and fish, but you gain a ton of convenience. From the tone of your question I think you already know it's a good move for you.

Yeah, I wouldn't read too much into my "tone" but you're probably right.  My favorite parts about grilling are much more the being outside drinking a beer overall experience, than the actual needing to see grill marks on my food.  If I was that much of a grilling purist, I'd exclusively use charcoal, which I've never had a desire to do because the upside of the convenience of propane heavily outweighs the upside of what charcoal offers in the way of added flavor, to me.  So, assuming these griddle things can do what it seems they can do, I think I'll get the "experience" part just fine.

I think what I'm truly having trouble getting my head around is just the no longer being a grill guy.  That sounds really douchey, but I've been a grill guy all my life.  Damn near 40 years of being a grill guy is a hard habit to break.  I would just say why not have both, but A) I really don't see using both if a griddle can do everything a grill can do plus more and B) I really don't want my back yard to look like the parking lot by the entrance of a Home Depot.

The other thing I'm having trouble getting my head around is abandoning Weber.  I'm loyal to about 2 total brands in life and Weber is one of them.  If Weber made one of these things, I'd probably be all in.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Yeah, I wouldn't read too much into my "tone" but you're probably right.  My favorite parts about grilling are much more the being outside drinking a beer overall experience, than the actual needing to see grill marks on my food.  If I was that much of a grilling purist, I'd exclusively use charcoal, which I've never had a desire to do because the upside of the convenience of propane heavily outweighs the upside of what charcoal offers in the way of added flavor, to me.  So, assuming these griddle things can do what it seems they can do, I think I'll get the "experience" part just fine.

I think what I'm truly having trouble getting my head around is just the no longer being a grill guy.  That sounds really douchey, but I've been a grill guy all my life.  Damn near 40 years of being a grill guy is a hard habit to break.  I would just say why not have both, but A) I really don't see using both if a griddle can do everything a grill can do plus more and B) I really don't want my back yard to look like the parking lot by the entrance of a Home Depot.

The other thing I'm having trouble getting my head around is abandoning Weber.  I'm loyal to about 2 total brands in life and Weber is one of them.  If Weber made one of these things, I'd probably be all in.

Even with this flat top, I will always have a grill/smoker. I will never give that up.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Gotcha.  Did you get the Pit Boss griddle?  Looks pretty badass.  Side tables fold in to create a cover...

https://pitboss-grills.com/Shop-Pit-Boss/Grills/griddles/deluxe-griddle

No, I went with the 28" Blackstone. I'm retired and it's just the two of us so I don't need anything big.

https://www.amazon.com/Blackstone-Outdoor-Grill-Griddle-Station/dp/B009971BM6

9 minutes ago, Turkleton said:

Even with this flat top, I will always have a grill/smoker. I will never give that up.

Yeah, agree.  Although I must say that I haven't use my grill much at all since I got the griddle.  I have been doing most of my steaks/chops either reverse sear or sous vide with a cast iron finish on a separate burner. Basically everything else that would get grilled before works fine if not better on the griddle, imo. 

3 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Yeah, agree.  Although I must say that I haven't use my grill much at all since I got the griddle.  I have been doing most of my steaks/chops either reverse sear or sous vide with a cast iron finish on a separate burner. Basically everything else that would get grilled before works fine if not better on the griddle, imo. 

This is a good point. Before my flat top, half the time my steaks were in a cast iron and the other half were grilled. Now, it will just be on the griddle.

Got my 28" Blackstone a couple of weeks ago. Went to Wallyworld and bought a conversion kit for my outdoor gas line. Absolutely love the convenience of this thing, plus I don't have to worry about propane running out. Damn game changer...... 

I think I asked this a while back but here goes: do you have a laser thermometer? How hot does the surface get with the gas conversion? I understand that natty gas doesn’t put out the same BTU as propane and that’s what I want to avoid.

I think I asked this a while back but here goes: do you have a laser thermometer? How hot does the surface get with the gas conversion? I understand that natty gas doesn’t put out the same BTU as propane and that’s what I want to avoid.

That’s why larger orifices are used for NG.
  • Like 1

On 6/3/2020 at 8:31 PM, luke duke said:

That’s why larger orifices are used for NG.

When I used to brew, and switched to NG, I ran a straight 3/4" pipe to the stand and only reduced to 1/2" fo the burner because that's what it had.  The more volume, the better for NG.  But it's still cheap as hell.  And brewing requires a pretty large amount of BTU without any retention as compared to a cast iron griddle.

Edited by dcbc
  • Like 1

On 6/3/2020 at 8:07 PM, deft said:

Heating it up last night, I did get over 600 with my laser thermometer. More than enough.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, deadshank said:

Spode.   They’re the ones with quails, turkey, woodcocks, pheasants, ducks, etc. 

www.spode.com

Oh yeah we’ve got a bunch of that shit.  Something like my wife’s great great grandparents wedding China or some shit. We never use it though because none of it can go in the dishwasher.  Can yours?

12 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Oh yeah we’ve got a bunch of that shit.  Something like my wife’s great great grandparents wedding China or some shit. We never use it though because none of it can go in the dishwasher.  Can yours?

Yep. It is DW safe.  Must be the newer models.