Tell me about Iowa State

Longboard Horn

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Yup.  The national narrative on him is flipping almost overnight, despite his team doing pretty much exactly what his teams have always done thus far.

But a loss to TCU would be a red flag, no doubt.  He hasn't lost an October game since 2016, and winning that month has been a huge part of his success thus far.

As much as I love Campbell, I have to remember that I was equally enamored with Paul Rhoads at this stage in his tenure.  It was year 5 when Rhoads really started going down hill.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

Have to say that I was surprised by some stats in following article.  Iowa State has decent offensive numbers, just can't move the ball as they get closer to the red zone...  If Iowa State beats tcu and rights their scoring woes, they are still a tough team to beat.

https://247sports.com/college/iowa-state/Article/Iowa-State-football-offensive-stagnation-injury-updates-JaQuan-Bailey-Colin-Newell-136392100/

Iowa State talks offensive stagnation, injuries

AMES, Iowa — Iowa State’s offense is at something of a crossroads one-third of the way through the season, caught in the middle of offensive success and stagnation.

Four games into the season, the Cyclones haven’t had trouble moving the ball, amassing more than 400 yards of offense in every game and crossing midfield on more than 50 percent of their drives while averaging 7.1 yards per play compared to 5.8 in 2018. The issue is what has happened across the 50, where a handful of drives have stalled in three of the first four games. To date, Iowa State has had 32 offensive drives in regulation and 16 have crossed midfield only to end up scoreless.

“At first it was hopeful because we’re going to learn from the mistakes and all that and we still are learning, but it is a little frustrating now,” quarterback Brock Purdy said. “We’re going into our fifth game of the season and we still sort of see that in the 45 and going in and stuff like that. It’s frustrating but we’re learning every single day, we’re going into practice trying to hammer at the little things and just get it out of the way."

Iowa State’s issues have been wide-ranging but generally similar in nature. On some drives, an untimely sack or penalty has stalled drives across midfield. At other times, the Cyclones have put themselves in an early hole and set up third-and-longs.

“It’s one of those things for us we just continue to pound away at what are those reasons why we’re not finishing some of these drives. The big thing about the offensive piece of it is, man, it’s such a young group. It’s still a group that’s still evolving in their niche and trying to figure out who they are,” Matt Campbell said. “I really feel like it’s a growing process on the offensive side of the football. It’s a group that’s going to continue to get better as the season goes. It’s a group that has surpassed our expectations in a lot of ways, and a group that for the betterment of our football team needs to continue to grow and get better in some other areas as we continue on this season. It’s teaching and showing here’s what we’re doing really well and here’s some of the areas we’ve got to continue to work to fix.”

Iowa State is tied for first nationally with only two three-and-outs this season, maybe the best evidence that the offense has shown some semblance of rhythm and efficiency. As the Cyclones move into the second third of the 2019 season, that piece must now find consistency.

“It’s been a little frustrating because we’ve seen it happen really every game where we’ve had those hiccups when we get past the 50, inside the 45, but we understand what we’ve got to do to fix it,” Purdy said. “It just keeps happening so I think this game will be a great opportunity to finally push through and be able to really break through that mark and get over that hump."

Have to say that I was surprised by some stats in following article.  Iowa State has decent offensive numbers, just can't move the ball as they get closer to the red zone...  If Iowa State beats tcu and rights their scoring woes, they are still a tough team to beat.

https://247sports.com/college/iowa-state/Article/Iowa-State-football-offensive-stagnation-injury-updates-JaQuan-Bailey-Colin-Newell-136392100/

Iowa State talks offensive stagnation, injuries

AMES, Iowa — Iowa State’s offense is at something of a crossroads one-third of the way through the season, caught in the middle of offensive success and stagnation.

Four games into the season, the Cyclones haven’t had trouble moving the ball, amassing more than 400 yards of offense in every game and crossing midfield on more than 50 percent of their drives while averaging 7.1 yards per play compared to 5.8 in 2018. The issue is what has happened across the 50, where a handful of drives have stalled in three of the first four games. To date, Iowa State has had 32 offensive drives in regulation and 16 have crossed midfield only to end up scoreless.

“At first it was hopeful because we’re going to learn from the mistakes and all that and we still are learning, but it is a little frustrating now,” quarterback Brock Purdy said. “We’re going into our fifth game of the season and we still sort of see that in the 45 and going in and stuff like that. It’s frustrating but we’re learning every single day, we’re going into practice trying to hammer at the little things and just get it out of the way."

Iowa State’s issues have been wide-ranging but generally similar in nature. On some drives, an untimely sack or penalty has stalled drives across midfield. At other times, the Cyclones have put themselves in an early hole and set up third-and-longs.

“It’s one of those things for us we just continue to pound away at what are those reasons why we’re not finishing some of these drives. The big thing about the offensive piece of it is, man, it’s such a young group. It’s still a group that’s still evolving in their niche and trying to figure out who they are,” Matt Campbell said. “I really feel like it’s a growing process on the offensive side of the football. It’s a group that’s going to continue to get better as the season goes. It’s a group that has surpassed our expectations in a lot of ways, and a group that for the betterment of our football team needs to continue to grow and get better in some other areas as we continue on this season. It’s teaching and showing here’s what we’re doing really well and here’s some of the areas we’ve got to continue to work to fix.”

Iowa State is tied for first nationally with only two three-and-outs this season, maybe the best evidence that the offense has shown some semblance of rhythm and efficiency. As the Cyclones move into the second third of the 2019 season, that piece must now find consistency.

“It’s been a little frustrating because we’ve seen it happen really every game where we’ve had those hiccups when we get past the 50, inside the 45, but we understand what we’ve got to do to fix it,” Purdy said. “It just keeps happening so I think this game will be a great opportunity to finally push through and be able to really break through that mark and get over that hump."

All that really comes down to the fact that a bad OL is a lot harder to mitigate in the red zone.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

12 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

TCU won’t be the game where they turn the run game around. TCU’s run D is really good. 

this is going to be a close, low-scoring game. ISU needs to find a way to win it, otherwise, their season could get ugly. 

46 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Yup.  The national narrative on him is flipping almost overnight, despite his team doing pretty much exactly what his teams have always done thus far.

But a loss to TCU would be a red flag, no doubt.  He hasn't lost an October game since 2016, and winning that month has been a huge part of his success thus far.

As much as I love Campbell, I have to remember that I was equally enamored with Paul Rhoads at this stage in his tenure.  It was year 5 when Rhoads really started going down hill.

ISU might have started slow in the past, but they don’t have the same talent this year. They can’t afford to struggle early as much as last year. Plus, last year could be explained by inserting Purdy as QB. This ISU team won’t get the same talent injection mid-year.

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Wasn't the Iowa State OL supposed to be one of their strengths this year with a lot of returning players??

We return a ton of players, but they weren't great in the past.

One major thing RE OL play is that one of our best linemen was hurt during the UNI game and hasn't played since.  He's supposed to be ready for Saturday, and if he is, it could really help.

2 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

TCU won’t be the game where they turn the run game around. TCU’s run D is really good. 

this is going to be a close, low-scoring game. ISU needs to find a way to win it, otherwise, their season could get ugly. 

ISU might have started slow in the past, but they don’t have the same talent this year. They can’t afford to struggle early as much as last year. Plus, last year could be explained by inserting Purdy as QB. This ISU team won’t get the same talent injection mid-year.

The line actually opened holes against Iowa, but our OC was hesitant to commit to the run, and our best runners.

I believe our coaching staff has poorly handled the running game thus far by both refusing to commit to a back, and refusing to commit to running the ball.  Sheldon Croney has shown he's not capable of creating much.  Kene Nwangwu has done very well, but he's constantly dinged up.  Johnny Lang should a lot against Baylor, but they didn't stick with him.  Jihrel Brock showed good potential against ULM, but didn't see playing time Saturday.

TCU has a front seven that's pretty similar to Iowa's, IMO.  If we get that kind of effort, and quit trying to use Sheldon Croney as a runner and focus on Lang/Hall/Brock (Jihrel, not Purdy) we could improve upon what we saw last week. 

If not, you're 100% right about this being close, low scoring, and a loss having some serious ramifications.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

8 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

The line actually opened holes against Iowa, but our OC was hesitant to commit to the run, and our best runners.  I believe our coaching staff has poorly handled the running game... Johnny Lang showed a lot against Baylor, but they didn't stick with him.  

Great guitar player...

18 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

We return a ton of players, but they weren't great in the past.

One major thing RE OL play is that one of our best linemen was hurt during the UNI game and hasn't played since.  He's supposed to be ready for Saturday, and if he is, it could really help.

“Rē” (the macron is not a real part of the letter but can help one understand pronunciation) is a declension of the Latin “rēs” (thing or matter). To use it less awkwardly in a sentence to mean “in the matter of,” place the word “in” before it, with no extra capitalization. You have probably seen it in all caps in the context of the header of a legal document, but that is because of the header position, not the expression. For example:

... in re OL play ...

21 minutes ago, Magus Ossis said:

“Rē” (the macron is not a real part of the letter but can help one understand pronunciation) is a declension of the Latin “rēs” (thing or matter). To use it less awkwardly in a sentence to mean “in the matter of,” place the word “in” before it, with no extra capitalization. You have probably seen it in all caps in the context of the header of a legal document, but that is because of the header position, not the expression. For example:

... in re OL play ...

This is probably the last reply I would have expected, but, uh, thanks.  Noted.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

This is probably the last reply I would have expected, but, uh, thanks.  Noted.

Hey Iowa State is supposed to be this prestigious AAU school. Magnus is just trying to get you to live up to your reputation.

Edited by Valmy77

3 hours ago, gmr548 said:

All that really comes down to the fact that a bad OL is a lot harder to mitigate in the red zone.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Add to the mitigating factors; a running back that could turn shit to gold (David Montgomery) and a wide receiver fast enough and big enough to snatch jump balls thrown by a quarterback under duress (Hakeem Butler).  I thought we would be fine this season...we're not.  The OL unit has shown the slowest progress since Campbell arrived.  It's happening, just not as quickly as every other unit.  

Edited by SnowAggy

8 minutes ago, SnowAggy said:

Add to the mitigating factors; a running back that could turn shit to gold (David Montgomery) and a wide receiver fast enough and big enough to snatch jump balls thrown by a quarterback under duress (Hakeem Butler).  I thought we would be fine this season...we're not.  The OL unit has shown the slowest progress since Campbell arrived.  It's happening, just not as quickly as every other unit.  

We miss Butler less than Montgomery.

I predicted the opposite at the start of the year.  Milton has taken his game up a notch, Pettway has been impressive, and Kolar is becoming the safety blanket.

The running game is a cesspool of indecision.

As strange as it may seem, I'm a little surprised at the clones this year, and not in a good way. Our showdown was one that had me slightly worried before the season, not so much now.

*insert Son I am disappoint meme*

Season is still young though

21 hours ago, ousux said:

As strange as it may seem, I'm a little surprised at the clones this year, and not in a good way. Our showdown was one that had me slightly worried before the season, not so much now.

*insert Son I am disappoint meme*

Season is still young though

I always saw this as a regression to the mean year for ISU, so I was more worried about the TCU game than this one.

I also thought we'd beat LSU in a relatively low scoring game.

^Still wouldn't drink it...  But no they are donating $10 to some charity for each bushel they sell.

There was a big hubbub towards Busch Light when they dropped their affiliation with the dude who raised $3 million for charity after it was discovered he tweeted out stupid racist shit when he was 16 (quoting Tosh.O).  Busch Light still did the match though.  Pretty big story up here in Iowa.  After Busch Light dropped their affiliation a bunch of people took to twitter swearing they would never drink Busch Light again.  And I don't blame them but that's because I think Busch Light tastes like piss water. 

You just knew a story this good wouldn't end without an exclamation point and today Carson King got it.

On Monday, King's two-week long fundraiser for the University of Iowa Children's Hospital came up just short of his final goal of $3 million.  King announced Tuesday afternoon that he'd raised a grand total of $2,950,000.

But today that total was pushed to the $3,000,000 finish line thanks to a late donation from West Des Moines-based Doll Distributing, the local distributor for Busch Light in Central Iowa.  The company says 13 different distributors from across the state chipped in to make the final $41,000 gift.

King's fundraiser started before the Iowa-Iowa State football game in Ames when he held up a sign asking for money via Venmo to buy more Busch Light during ESPN's 'College GameDay'.  The sign worked, with donations pouring into his account.

King quickly announced that he'd donate all the money sent to his Venmo account to the UI Children's Hospital.  Busch Light and Venmo both quickly announced they'd match whatever King raised.  Several other donors including RAGBRAI and Carson's employer, Prairie Meadows, announced major gifts as well.

King says he plans to deliver the final $3 million check to the hospital on October 12th when the Hawkeyes host Penn State.

^Still wouldn't drink it...  But no they are donating $10 to some charity for each bushel they sell.
There was a big hubbub towards Busch Light when they dropped their affiliation with the dude who raised $3 million for charity after it was discovered he tweeted out stupid racist shit when he was 16 (quoting Tosh.O).  Busch Light still did the match though.  Pretty big story up here in Iowa.  After Busch Light dropped their affiliation a bunch of people took to twitter swearing they would never drink Busch Light again.  And I don't blame them but that's because I think Busch Light tastes like piss water. 

You just knew a story this good wouldn't end without an exclamation point and today Carson King got it.

On Monday, King's two-week long fundraiser for the University of Iowa Children's Hospital came up just short of his final goal of $3 million.  King announced Tuesday afternoon that he'd raised a grand total of $2,950,000.

But today that total was pushed to the $3,000,000 finish line thanks to a late donation from West Des Moines-based Doll Distributing, the local distributor for Busch Light in Central Iowa.  The company says 13 different distributors from across the state chipped in to make the final $41,000 gift.

King's fundraiser started before the Iowa-Iowa State football game in Ames when he held up a sign asking for money via Venmo to buy more Busch Light during ESPN's 'College GameDay'.  The sign worked, with donations pouring into his account.

King quickly announced that he'd donate all the money sent to his Venmo account to the UI Children's Hospital.  Busch Light and Venmo both quickly announced they'd match whatever King raised.  Several other donors including RAGBRAI and Carson's employer, Prairie Meadows, announced major gifts as well.

King says he plans to deliver the final $3 million check to the hospital on October 12th when the Hawkeyes host Penn State.

Rest of the story..the jackass who outed the old tweets, got fired. For racist tweets. Fucking Twitter.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/2/2019 at 10:14 AM, LTtxfan said:

Wasn't the Iowa State OL supposed to be one of their strengths this year with a lot of returning players??

Below tweet bears out preseason belief that Iowa State OL could be one of the better returning B12 OLs for 2019...

Edited by LTtxfan

• 1 month later...

Two more college coaches who might be targeted by NFL teams during this hiring cycle: Iowa State’s Matt Campbell and Florida’s Dan Mullen. Campbell is a favorite of front-office types with experience on the college circuit—a program-builder who’s proven capable of winning with less. And Mullen’s calling card is with the quarterbacks he’s developed at Utah (Alex Smith), Florida (Tim Tebow) and Mississippi State (Dak Prescott). I don’t know that either will get a job—Campbell actually turned down a shot to interview with the Jets last winter—but I do think both are worth a look.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Jon Heacock's defense against the spread mentioned in below article...

How the spread offense conquered college football, from Hal Mumme to Joe Burrow

Bill Connelly         ESPN Staff Writer     May 4th

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29124560/how-spread-offense-conquered-college-football-hal-mumme-joe-burrow 

Also stumbled on this interesting 2019 article on Jon Heacock's Defense:

https://247sports.com/college/iowa-state/Article/Iowa-State-football-defensive-coordinator-Jon-Heacock-talks-2019-Cyclones-defense-134175016/

Edited by LTtxfan

• 2 weeks later...
zpP54Lqt_bigger.jpg     Alex Gookin    @_AlexGookin
11h

I spent several hours and many nights this week reliving every Iowa State football season since 2000 just so we could have a definitive ranking of them. You can read about numbers 20 through 11 today (trigger warning: most of these were very bad teams).

• 2 weeks later...