Tell me about Iowa State

Longboard Horn

2 hours ago, LonghornPD said:

They have a good QB, RB and TE.  Saw them on some top 25 lists.  

We have 3 good TEs.  Kolar is probably the one you saw on the list though.

The issue, as always, will be our line.  For YEARS we've had pretty solid skill position guys but always struggled to have a good offensive line, which is completely insane to me given our location.  That should be the thing we're always good at, but it's always the worst part of our team.

The current crop of linemen is supposed to be good.  Good star ratings, etc.  But I'll believe ISU has a good line when I see it.

4 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

We have 3 good TEs.  Kolar is probably the one you saw on the list though.  The issue, as always, will be our line.  For YEARS we've had pretty solid skill position guys but always struggled to have a good offensive line, which is completely insane to me given our location.  That should be the thing we're always good at, but it's always the worst part of our team.  The current crop of linemen is supposed to be good.  Good star ratings, etc.  But I'll believe ISU has a good line when I see it.

Sounds a lot like Texas...

My ex wife is a cyclone.  So is the mouthy neighborhood college kid down the road who is home for the quarantine/summer. 

Losing to these assholes should be a fireable offense.  Ok, their general fanbase is actually quite nice and fun to tailgate with (other than that one that took half my shit), but the point remains about we should never lose to them.

• Like 1

I renewed my OSU tickets to avoid losing them, but I sort of hope they do this and ask for volunteers to take this year off without losing the tickets. I just don't see how I will be confortable attending crowded events, even if cut in half. That's still 30,000 people in an enclosed space. 

• 3 weeks later...

Good article.  Living in Minnesota, despising the gophers, and attending several games in Ames, I am well aware of the legacy of Trice.  But it is surprising how little known he is nationally.

I notice in the article they also kept capitalizing "Black" when using it as an adjective.  A Black man, etc.  Is that the new convention I'm unaware of?  

On 6/24/2020 at 10:08 PM, Not a cat said:

Good article.  Living in Minnesota, despising the gophers, and attending several games in Ames, I am well aware of the legacy of Trice.  But it is surprising how little known he is nationally.

I notice in the article they also kept capitalizing "Black" when using it as an adjective.  A Black man, etc.  Is that the new convention I'm unaware of?  

My iPhone autocorrects to Black, but not to white. I just noticed that recently. I’m offended. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

https://247sports.com/college/texas/LongFormArticle/Ranking-top-players-college-football-2020-season-roundtable-149601707/#149601707_1

"Top 50 roundtable: Too low, snubbed, underclassmen soon to crash"

ByCHRIS HUMMER 22 hours ago

PLAYERS RANKED TOO LOW

No. 35 Brock Purdy, QB, Iowa State

“This guy brings a high football IQ at the most important position on the field to go along with big-game experience and excellent athleticism tailor-made for today's game. I expect improved consistency and top 20 production from Purdy this season as the Cyclones challenge for a trip to the Big 12 Championship game.” – Josh Pate, National Analyst

https://247sports.com/college/texas/LongFormArticle/Ranking-top-players-college-football-2020-season-roundtable-149601707/#149601707_1

PLAYERS RANKED TOO LOW
“This guy brings a high football IQ at the most important position on the field to go along with big-game experience and excellent athleticism tailor-made for today's game. I expect improved consistency and top 20 production from Purdy this season as the Cyclones challenge for a trip to the Big 12 Championship game.” – Josh Pate, National Analyst

It's a sure bet when isu has a chance to be really good, we won't have a season

28 minutes ago, ISUCyclones said:
33 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

PLAYERS RANKED TOO LOW

Read more  

It's a sure bet when isu has a chance to be really good, we won't have a season

And then Purdy will declare for the '21 draft after being a Top 15 pick in every mock draft and end up a UDFA.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

They should have put y'all in the CCG.

We should have just converted a 23 yard field goal with :30 seconds left in regulation and beaten a 4-7 Mizzou squad at home and won the division outright.

OU would have fucking run a train on us, but ISU playing for the Big 12 football crown at Arrowhead would have been left KC a cratered mess.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

2 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

We should have just converted a 23 yard field goal with :30 seconds left in regulation and beaten a 4-7 Mizzou squad at home and won the division outright.

OU would have fucking run a train on us, but ISU playing for the Big 12 football crown at Arrowhead would have been left KC a cratered mess.

Knowing how ISU fans travel, y'all would have drank the bars dry like I was told y'all did in Memphis for the Liberty Bowl and a buddy of mine told me y'all did at the restaurant he works at on the river walk in San Antonio for the Alamo Bowl.

Edited by Longboard Horn

1 minute ago, Longboard Horn said:

Knowing how ISU fans travel, y'all would have drank the bars dry like I was told y'all did in Memphis for the Liberty Bowl.

There's that, but on top of it swarming Kansas City is kind of our thing (due to the basketball tournament).  Has been since the Big 8 days.  Kelly's Westport Inn is the unofficial ISU bar during the Big 12 tournament.  At this point it's hard to call it unofficial, as they have ISU stuff up on the wall, including multiple clipped articles about how it's become the ISU congregation spot.

KC is less than 3 hours from Des Moines.  It's barely traveling.  Just moving the gong show down the road a little bit so you don't get arrested in your own area code.

4 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Also, Al, do y'all have a Big 12 North division trophy in the trophy case?

30 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

24 minutes ago, ISUCyclones said:
30 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

We do.... Very aggy

I mean, the conference sends it to you, it's not like aggy making a ring to commemorate a single game. We have a division trophy from 2010 when we tied ou and aggy with ou winning the tiebreaker. It's not like you throw it in the trash, it's in the trophy case for what it is, a division tie. The 1945 national championship claim bothers me, but whatever, it's not like we have much real history to be proud of in football.

I mean, the conference sends it to you, it's not like aggy making a ring to commemorate a single game. We have a division trophy from 2010 when we tied ou and aggy with ou winning the tiebreaker. It's not like you throw it in the trash, it's in the trophy case for what it is, a division tie. The 1945 national championship claim bothers me, but whatever, it's not like we have much real history to be proud of in football.
Yeah all true. It's probably more about what al said with making a short field goal against a bad team to win it outright.

11 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Exactly this. Just like Texas has a few south division trophies for 96, 99, 01, 05, 08(tie breaker) and 09.

6 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

Every time I drive through Iowa I'm like "man, I can't believe there are two large universities here"

I sometimes wonder how wild it would have been if we had only had one large university, like Minnesota, Nebraska, Wisconsin, Illinois, Missouri, etc.

There are (several times a season) weekends where there are 60K in Jack Trice and 70K in Kinnick on the same day.  

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, StruggleBus said:

Every time I drive through Iowa I'm like "man, I can't believe there are two large universities here"

Roughly half of the undergraduate students at the University of Iowa are from the state of Illinois and iirc a majority of them are from the Western Suburbs of Chicago.  Very many kids come down from Minneapolis and up from Kansas City to ISU.  

UI and ISU (both AAU institutions) are really good values for the educations we provide.  Excellent engineering / agronomy / vet med / design at ISU and excellent writing / business / law / medicine at UI.  Personally, I'd only consider Illinois a stronger architecture programs of any of our neighbors and ISU the strongest in the Big 12 besides UT.

21 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I fucking hated the kids from Minneapolis.  Probably more annoying than the Chicago kids, and waaaaay more annoying than any KC kids.

My gf (ex-wife) went to UI so I spent some time with Western Suburb Hawks in IC...holy fucking douchebags...

My gf (ex-wife) went to UI so I spent some time with Western Suburb Hawks in IC...holy fucking douchebags...

Iowa kids from Chicago are definitely the worst.

I was talking at ISU. With the exception of one really cool guy, everyone I knew in Ames from Minneapolis sucked. With the exception of one staggeringly incredible douche, everyone I knew in Ames from Chicago was solid.

Also, I’m to read that as you’re dating your ex wife?

3 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Iowa kids from Chicago are definitely the worst.

I was talking at ISU. With the exception of one really cool guy, everyone I knew in Ames from Minneapolis sucked. With the exception of one staggeringly incredible douche, everyone I knew in Ames from Chicago was solid.

Also, I’m to read that as you’re dating your ex wife?

Lolz...gf in college first, ex wife later. Hawkroach always.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I sometimes wonder how wild it would have been if we had only had one large university, like Minnesota, Nebraska, Wisconsin, Illinois, Missouri, etc.

There are (several times a season) weekends where there are 60K in Jack Trice and 70K in Kinnick on the same day.  

I sometimes wonder the same thing about Oklahoma. Would I have become a dickeater if it was the only major university in the state? I think not, because I certainly didn't chose my college based on the football program. But I did want to go to a large state school, so maybe I would have ended up in Norman. My Saturdays certainly would have been more enjoyable, especially since those assholes won a national fucking title my freshman year when my school won 3 games, only one in conference (Baylor when they were worse than us before art briles brought in the rapists). I think it's more likely I would have ended up at Arkansas or UT (I considered both and had the grades for UT but I was an awkward kid not quite ready for the "big city" of Austin). 

59 minutes ago, SnowAggy said:

Roughly half of the undergraduate students at the University of Iowa are from the state of Illinois and iirc a majority of them are from the Western Suburbs of Chicago.  Very many kids come down from Minneapolis and up from Kansas City to ISU.  

UI and ISU (both AAU institutions) are really good values for the educations we provide.  Excellent engineering / agronomy / vet med / design at ISU and excellent writing / business / law / medicine at UI.  Personally, I'd only consider Illinois a stronger architecture programs of any of our neighbors and ISU the strongest in the Big 12 besides UT.

I don't think it's half or anywhere close, but a bunch of OSU and OU kids are from Texas. I suspect they either couldn't get into UT or just wanted to get away from their families for college. It never bothered me since I'm a Texas native, but it sure drove some of the homegrown okies crazy when the Texas kids would come in with their Texas flags and Texas pride to school in Oklahoma.

• Like 1

I don't think it's half or anywhere close, but a bunch of OSU and OU kids are from Texas. I suspect they either couldn't get into UT or just wanted to get away from their families for college. It never bothered me since I'm a Texas native, but it sure drove some of the homegrown okies crazy when the Texas kids would come in with their Texas flags and Texas pride to school in Oklahoma.

I thought about mentioning Oklahoma and Kansas in my post.

If there was just Iowa, I would have absolutely gone there because I wanted the big state school experience with in state tuition. I picked ISU because I liked the feel of the campus and town better. Felt more like how you see college in the movies. Plus, I always rooted for the Clones when the two played growing up. I was legitimately a fan of both as a kid since I had a different parent attend each.

7 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

The closest I've come to crying as an adult man.  Culbertson pushing it right will never leave my memory.  Motherfucker had made 21 of 22 attempts after taking over for Tony Yelk and missed a (I think it was actually) 24 yarder.  CCG at Arrowhead...FUCK!  FAAAAAACK!!!

19 hours ago, SnowAggy said:

The closest I've come to crying as an adult man.  Culbertson pushing it right will never leave my memory.  Motherfucker had made 21 of 22 attempts after taking over for Tony Yelk and missed a (I think it was actually) 24 yarder.  CCG at Arrowhead...FUCK!  FAAAAAACK!!!

I remember how quiet the stadium was when people were walking out on the cold and gloomy day.  It sucked.