Tell me about Iowa State

Longboard Horn

Still hate you for 2011, but that was our own fault for playing like shit.

Your basketball fans are annoying booing at literally every call.

You had a poster who used to troll OSU boards about basketball.  Made me hate ISU basketball for a while.

Otherwise, seems pretty cool, and I have no beef.  Great tailgating the one time I visted back in 2001 or 2002.

2 hours ago, SnowAggy said:

Longboard, 

Sorry for the extended radio silence.  Al covered a lot of ground so I'll add a few points.

First, Frederick Law Olmsted did not design our campus.  His sons continued his Landscape Architecture practice and were hired as consultants for a time.  However, the campus is indeed beautiful and earned the American Society of Landscape Architects Centennial Medal in 1999.  Three university campuses were honored; Yale, UVA, and ISU.  With regard to the Manhattan project; iirc the enrichment of the uranium used occurred on campus in Ames.  We got the nickname "Cyclones" from the sports page of the Chicago Tribune when in 1896 we took a road trip to Evanston and beat the dogshit out of Northwestern (0-31?).  The headline made a reference to the ISU team blowing into town like an Iowa cyclone.  Tornado season had been particularly active that year...  The Atanasoff-Berry computer was designed and built at ISU.  It was the first electronic computer.

The football team is probably best known for it's former coaches including; Pop Warner, Johnny Majors, Earle Bruce, Jimmy Johnson, Jackie Sherill, Pete Carroll, John Fox, and one Tom Herman.

You'll be glad to know we've got a couple industrial design grads at Vans.  Saw some pics of them reviewing projects last semester.

Thanks for the knowledge. I had no idea that Jackie Sherill, Pete Carroll or John Fox coached there.

3 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

The Fighting Bugles? lol

Helmet_Swirly_web.jpgbugle-helmet-1506703564.jpg?crop=1.00xw:

Oh boy, the most hot button of hot button issues for ISU fans; this ridiculous logo.  This stupid fucking thing surfaces just in time for high as a kite Jacob Park to piss away the UT game.  BTW, if any of you are the UT grads from Houston I sat by, cheers again.

1 minute ago, Longboard Horn said:

What exactly happened with Jacob Park? I don't know the full story.

Neither do we.

Million dollar arm, $.10 brain.  Best I can gather, he cracked under the pressure of being The Man, all while having his first kid.

8 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Neither do we.

Million dollar arm, $.10 brain.  Best I can gather, he cracked under the pressure of being The Man, all while having his first kid.

He had a history with drugs though...and didn't some UT players say he looked ****ed up during the game?  Anyway, dude got recruited by UGA and iirc was outta Athens within a year, bounced around and ended up at last chance U...and then ****ed that up.

Edited by SnowAggy

4 minutes ago, SnowAggy said:

He had a history with drugs though...and didn't some UT players say he looked ****ed up during the game?  Anyway, dude got recruited by UGA and iirc was outta Athens within a year, bounced around and ended up at last chance U...and then ****ed that up.

Yeah, pretty sure he was getting stoned during the season, and must have been high for that game.  That seemed to leak out.

8 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

ISU educated George Washington Carver and he invented lots of stuff with peanuts so that was cool.

He was allegedly the first black student at the school and later took those teachings with him on to instruct students at Tuskegee  Institute...

College

n early 1888, Carver obtained a $300 loan at the Bank of Ness City for education. By June he left the area.[10] In 1890, Carver started studying art and piano at Simpson College in Indianola, Iowa.[12] His art teacher, Etta Budd, recognized Carver's talent for painting flowers and plants; she encouraged him to study botany at Iowa State Agricultural College in Ames.[12] When he began there in 1891, he was the first black student. Carver's Bachelor's thesis was "Plants as Modified by Man", dated 1894.[13]

Iowa State professors Joseph Budd and Louis Pammel convinced Carver to continue there for his master's degree. Carver did research at the Iowa Experiment Stationunder Pammel during the next two years. His work at the experiment station in plant pathology and mycology first gained him national recognition and respect as a botanist. Carver taught as the first black faculty member at Iowa State.

28 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

ISU educated George Washington Carver and he invented lots of stuff with peanuts so that was cool.

"In 1895, at the Tuskegee Institute in Alabama, a black man named George Washington Carver developed a new method of soil improvement through crop rotation to end the South African cultural dependence on cotton alone. As a result, Carver came up with hundreds of industrial uses for the peanut. Sure, industrial uses.

Meanwhile, one night, he's having a few friends over to his house for dinner. And one of them leans over and says to Dr. Carver, "Excuse me, George? What's that your putting on your bread?" Carver says, "Oh, that's nothing but a butter substitute that I made from peanuts. I can't digest all that animal fat, you know." So the other fellow tasted it, and he says, "Hmm.. this  tastes pretty good, man. Mind if we take a peek at the recipe?" And Dr. Carver says, "Take a peek? Man, you can have it. Who's gonna eat butter made out of peanuts? No, I'm working on a method to compress peanuts into phonograph needles."

So, Professor Carver's two dinner guests, Edward "Skippy" Williamson and Frederick "Jif" Armstrong, two white men, stole George Washington Carver's recipe for peanut butter, copyrighted it, and reaped untold fortunes from it. While Dr. Carver died penniless and insane, still trying to play a phonograph record with a peanut."

Shabazz K. Morton

~Black History Minute~ (1984)

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I can't believe you fart knockers never mentioned what is arguably ISU's greatest achievement: the invention of the first digital computer. The Atanasoff - Berry Computer was completed at (then) Iowa State College in 1942.

https://www.ece.iastate.edu/the-department/history/history-of-computing/

Random aside: Several years ago I was walking out of Jack Trice and thought, "WTF? Is that Nick Nolte?" Visited with him for a few minutes and he said he comes back to Ames every now and then and that his Dad was a three year letterman for the Clones. Side note, his hair was combed and he was wearing an ISU sweatshirt....no Aloha shirt.

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/life/2018/01/26/nick-nolte-and-his-little-known-iowa-upbringing-reveals-love-rivers-and-football/1070303001/

8 minutes ago, Seneca Tinsley said:

I can't believe you fart knockers never mentioned what is arguably ISU's greatest achievement: the invention of the first digital computer. The Atanasoff - Berry Computer was completed at (then) Iowa State College in 1942.

https://www.ece.iastate.edu/the-department/history/history-of-computing/

Random aside: Several years ago I was walking out of Jack Trice and thought, "WTF? Is that Nick Nolte?" Visited with him for a few minutes and he said he comes back to Ames every now and then and that his Dad was a three year letterman for the Clones. Side note, his hair was combed and he was wearing an ISU sweatshirt....no Aloha shirt.

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/life/2018/01/26/nick-nolte-and-his-little-known-iowa-upbringing-reveals-love-rivers-and-football/1070303001/

I did.

16 hours ago, horn_of_the_morning said:

https://mobile.twitter.com/bestweightroom/status/1012035265194610691

They also have better facilities than UT

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

As long as we have the bubble and our weight room is constrained by its current size/location, we're going to be near the bottom of that list.

13 minutes ago, kopp0e said:

Explain how you've come to this conclusion, as your 1 sentence would be incorrect sir...

Probably seen you on LT with your stupid fucking maps replacing ISU with Rice or jettisoning Wazzu, Oregon St., KSU & ISU from the P5.  Or one of the other myriad maps I've seen where you relegate us.  

If that's what you dig, go for it.  But don't pretend like you haven't.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TexasMan said:

Screenshot_20180628-112224_Fenix.jpg

The replies... Huh?? 

Disregard comments.  We've benefited financially from LHN games and it looks like we will again.  Some (many) ISU fans don't seem to realize that to keep Campbell we have to make extra money.  LHN is a good way to do that.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, SnowAggy said:

Probably seen you on LT with your stupid fucking maps replacing ISU with Rice or jettisoning Wazzu, Oregon St., KSU & ISU from the P5.  Or one of the other myriad maps I've seen where you relegate us.  

If that's what you dig, go for it.  But don't pretend like you haven't.  

I have just as many variable post of Iowa State remaining within a power conference as well as other old SWC & Big8 schools, and LT is dead since Kevin wanted his $3.50, so pretty much what I post on dirtburglars is the same as on surlyhorns as pertaining to conference realignment...

Such as:

PAC-XII merger into a 20 team conference-

PAC-XII merger into a 16 team conference-

I didn't create conference realignment, nor did the fans at UT or OU, nor the other schools that I follow from the old SWC & Big8 so you are directing vitriol at the wrong direction, now the option I speak of gives more current P5 teams a home than if the conference is split apart by the B1G/ SEC & PAC... 

Neither are great options, but atleast a PAC-XII merger allows the possibility of Iowa State remaining within the power conference structure; far better than being stuck in the AAC...

I also have post where the XII simply expands back to 12 schools-

Or, just me simply talking up the good points of keeping longstanding historic conference rivalries intact-

The only school that won't get a complaint if they no longer played in the XII/ expanded XII/ merged PAC-XII is Baylor...

(other than sorrow for Itbear, he's a good guy)... But alas, that can be discussed on the realignment thread, as this is all things great about the 'Clones..!

Edited by kopp0e

24 minutes ago, SnowAggy said:

Disregard comments.  We've benefited financially from LHN games and it looks like we will again.  Some (many) ISU fans don't seem to realize that to keep Campbell we have to make extra money.  LHN is a good way to do that.

I noticed this past off season that at one point Tennessee was interested in hiring Campbell from ISU, it says many good things about the program when a powerschool comes looking to get feelers on your coach, only to be told that he is satisfied where he is at now... I hope he sticks around long term, as it would no doubt have an impact on conference realignment, if that ever comes back up nearing the end of the XII GoR's...

Campbell has the clones playing pretty good ball-at times. I think he is pretty close to getting the program situated and stabilized. The conference could use some of the northern teams getting better.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kopp0e said:

I noticed this past off season that at one point Tennessee was interested in hiring Campbell from ISU, it says many good things about the program when a powerschool comes looking to get feelers on your coach, only to be told that he is satisfied where he is at now... I hope he sticks around long term, as it would no doubt have an impact on conference realignment, if that ever comes back up nearing the end of the XII GoR's...

U Tenn is a bad example though.  The hire Schiano, unhire Shiano, shit show coaching search would be enough to make most talented guys think twice.  We'll give until it hurts and then some through the GoR to keep Matt.  He'll be gone after that.  Wild cards are tOSU and Notre Dame and since I presume both of those fan bases look down their nose at anything ISU related so I'm not that worried. Although, the tOSU AD, Gene Smith was at ISU in the '90s so no doubt he's noticed what Campbell has done so far...

Edited by SnowAggy
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, SnowAggy said:

U Tenn is a bad example though.  The hire Schiano, unhire Shiano, shit show coaching search would be enough to make most talented guys think twice.  We'll give until it hurts and then some through the GoR to keep Matt.  He'll be gone after that.  Wild cards are tOSU and Notre Dame and since I presume both of those fan bases look down their nose at anything ISU related I'm not that worried. Although, the tOSU AD, Gene Smith was at ISU in the '90s so no doubt he's noticed what Campbell has done so far...

Sometimes "trending at the right time" is just as important as being in the right place at the right time... Just as Louisville ascended from the old Metro Conference to the BigEast and now currently within the P5 as a member of the ACC (which worked out better for the school than membership in the XII, as there are more old rivalries within the league to the east)...

So, I hope the same works out for ISU, as I have always thought of the fans of the Clones as kind-hearted and passionate about their school, a far underappreciated group..!

Explain how you've come to this conclusion, as your 1 sentence would be incorrect sir...

No, the other sports (and their staunch supporters) need to come to grips with the fact Football (and to a lesser degree, men's hoops) is the money engine that drives all other sports and allows them to exist. Knock some shit down and bus other athlete's if needed.

Edit- quoted the wrong oost, whatevs