Tell me about Iowa State

Longboard Horn

• 3 weeks later...

Ha, also saw this article come across my feed this morning.   Seems the Huskers are bemoaning the success of the ex-punching bag.

Praise of Campbell doesn't have to be knock on Frost

If there weren't enough challenges to being a Nebraska football fan these days, an interesting development has occurred to our immediate east.

Iowa State is a better program than Nebraska right now. It's just a cold fact. And while the historical significance of that fact might be lost on younger Husker fans, the older set fully grasps it. The "veteran" fans know NU used to routinely kick around ISU. From 1978 to 2001, the Huskers were 23-1 in the series. In 1996 and 1997, when current Husker head coach Scott Frost was the team's quarterback, NU won by scores of 49-14 and 77-14. Lopsided results were the norm. 

3 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Didn't play a ton and was probably going to get passed up.

I wish him well, and he'll always have a special place in my Cyclone heart for knocking away KSU's final pass attempt in Farmageddon 2018, sealing the ISU victory and breaking the Curse of the Vampire (Snyder).

2021 Iowa State Recruiting Class ranked #55 as of 01/05/2021

Guess Campbell is gonna get aggressive in transfer market??

https://247sports.com/college/iowa-state/Article/Iowa-State-football-recruiting-National-Signing-Day-2020-where-are-Cyclones-commits-hometowns-157107805/

A look at where Iowa State's early signees are from

On 1/5/2021 at 5:13 PM, LTtxfan said:

2021 Iowa State Recruiting Class ranked #55 as of 01/05/2021

Guess Campbell is gonna get aggressive in transfer market??

https://247sports.com/college/iowa-state/Article/Iowa-State-football-recruiting-National-Signing-Day-2020-where-are-Cyclones-commits-hometowns-157107805/

A look at where Iowa State's early signees are from

It's Iowa State. That feels about right for them in a good year.

4 minutes ago, ISUCyclones said:
8 minutes ago, Scooter Monzingo said:
I hope you guys can hold on to him. I want to believe that there are still coaches who desire more than money.

Kolar (tight end) and eisworth (safety) both coming back and with Campbell's last tweet it makes me hopeful he sticks around a while at least

If Purdy returns, y'all might have good team in 2021.

7 hours ago, Hurtlocker said:

Article on CBS said 20 out of 22 starters back.  

Come on, man.  It's like a whole team of Perry Ellises up there.  Raised by dinosaurs and enrolled in the Eisenhower administration.

Purdy coming back is a mixed bag though.  Gives you a certain floor, which for all Campbell's built is no given at ISU.  But the turnovers under pressure are that team's ceiling, and there'll once again be a pretty good pass rush between them and the conference title.

• Fuck You 1

33 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Wonder what new Head Coaching job ends up luring Campbell away from Iowa State -- maybe even next year??  

It won't be tOSU or ND... Sounds like Harbaugh's extension is remarkably squishy so maybe there.  But it's possible that Campbell's landed in a Goldie Locks job.  He's not the CEO that a top tier program like UT or USC requires and if we can pay him it makes some better programs seem only slightly better, I'm thinking an MSU type program.  Not certain of Franklin's status at PSU but that job would worry me.  But Franklin jettisoned his OC after one year, iirc.  Campbell would be reluctant to do that, imo.  To me, he's built for the middle of the B1G but he, like Snyder coming from Iowa, has that big ten vibe going at his big 12 program.  We have to pay him better than the mid tier B1G and currently he makes less an any B1G HC, I think...

On 1/10/2021 at 1:59 PM, ISUCyclones said:
On 1/10/2021 at 1:55 PM, Scooter Monzingo said:
I hope you guys can hold on to him. I want to believe that there are still coaches who desire more than money.

Kolar (tight end) and eisworth (safety) both coming back and with Campbell's last tweet it makes me hopeful he sticks around a while at least

Greg Eisworth will never not be playing college football.

• Haha 1

Come on, man.  It's like a whole team of Perry Ellises up there.  Raised by dinosaurs and enrolled in the Eisenhower administration.
Purdy coming back is a mixed bag though.  Gives you a certain floor, which for all Campbell's built is no given at ISU.  But the turnovers under pressure are that team's ceiling, and there'll once again be a pretty good pass rush between them and the conference title.

Returning the 1st team all Big 12 QB who owns every school record by a landslide and did so in less than 3 full seasons is a mixed bag?

That’s a take.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/12/2021 at 5:53 AM, Al_4_ISU said:

Returning the 1st team all Big 12 QB who owns every school record by a landslide and did so in less than 3 full seasons is a mixed bag?

That’s a take.

Purdy finished 4th in the Big 12 in QB rating (Rattler by a mile, Ehlinger, Sanders).  That's fairly historic for ISU, but regarding them now as a conference contender, I can live with OU facing him twice again.  Would rather see him and Breece than anyone and Bijan.  Don't tell the locals I said that.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Division III coordinator among Iowa State's defensive hires

Two new Cyclone assistants both have coaching DNA tracing back to the Ohio small college football scene.

ZACH BARNETT   4 HOURS AGO

Iowa State has hired Bluffton (D-III - OH) defensive coordinator Josh Runda to its staff as a defensive quality control. 

Like many on the Cyclone staff, Runda's coaching DNA traces to the Ohio small college scene. He played for Iowa State assistant head coach/linebackers coach Tyson Veidt, then the Beavers' head coach, where he was a 3-time all-conference linebacker.

Runda then entered coaching as a GA at Bluffton in 2014 before landing the defensive line and special teams job at Ohio Wesleyan in 2016. After a season there and a season as the University of Indianapolis's linebackers coach, he returned to Bluffton as defensive coordinator in 2018. 

Freshman defensive back Montez Archer, Jr., earned Heartland Conference newcomer of the year and defensive player of the year honors under Runda during the spring 2021 season. 

The Cyclones have also hired Mason Tomblin as a defensive GA. 

Like Veidt, and Runda, and head coach Matt Campbell, and defensive coordinator Jon Heacock, and offensive coordinator Tom Manning, and, well, you get the point, Tomblin also got his start in Ohio. He played at Ohio Wesleyan, then entered coaching as a graduate student intern at Miami (Ohio). 

Tomblin returned to OWU as the defensive line coach in 2018 and '19, then returned to the MAC as a GA at Ohio for the 2020 season. Tomblin played linebacker at Ohio Wesleyan, worked with the linebackers on Frank Solich's Ohio U staff, and will work under Veidt with the linebackers in Ames. 

Both men will join an ascendent Iowa State program that enters 2021 with the highest expectations in program history. The 2020 Cyclones scored victories over Oklahoma and Texas for the first time ever; reached the Big 12 Championship for the first time ever; and won a New Year's Six game for the first time ever. 

The 2021 team returns its top three tacklers, all linebackers: Big 12 defensive player of the year and consensus All-American Mike Rose, super senior Jake Hummel, and senior O'Rien Vance. The trio combined for 241 stops in 12 games last season.

The expectations this fall include the program's first conference title since 1912 and a maiden voyage to the College Football Playoff.