Tell me about Iowa State

Longboard Horn

2 hours ago, ousux said:

No, the other sports (and their staunch supporters) need to come to grips with the fact Football (and to a lesser degree, men's hoops) is the money engine that drives all other sports and allows them to exist. Knock some shit down and bus other athlete's if needed.

Edit- quoted the wrong oost, whatevs

Hey,  I like the spin on it though..!

On 6/30/2018 at 12:23 AM, GhostofDanJones said:

What I've noticed over this decade about Iowa State is that they're a better team than their record shows. They always seem to beat a team that they're not supposed to. They are the ultimate spoilers of the conference. 

Other than Florida State (or NC State), it could be argued that Iowa State is the best "state" football team in all of division 1...

6 hours ago, kopp0e said:

Other than Florida State (or NC State), it could be argued that Iowa State is the best "state" football team in all of division 1...

giphy.gif

I'll second what South Austin said.  I'm no fan of the Bucknuts, but, well, just have a look.

PxkVBQW.jpg

• Haha 1

U Tenn is a bad example though.  The hire Schiano, unhire Shiano, shit show coaching search would be enough to make most talented guys think twice.  We'll give until it hurts and then some through the GoR to keep Matt.  He'll be gone after that.  Wild cards are tOSU and Notre Dame and since I presume both of those fan bases look down their nose at anything ISU related so I'm not that worried. Although, the tOSU AD, Gene Smith was at ISU in the '90s so no doubt he's noticed what Campbell has done so far...
We (re)hired Earl Bruce from ISU, and Campbell has solid Ohio ties. When the FBI finds all the dead cheerleaders in Urby's yard, Campbell will get an interview.

PJ Fleck will too.

20 minutes ago, Dutch said:

giphy.gif

I'll second what South Austin said.  I'm no fan of the Bucknuts, but, well, just have a look.

PxkVBQW.jpg

Well you can't fault me if I forgot about Ohio State (I honestly did), as that's the same thing the CFP committee did when picking a team that didn't win it's division over a team that was crowned B1G conference champions after winning the leagues' championship game... I'm sure that was an "honest" mistake as well...

Anyway, that would still place Iowa State no worse than the 5th best athletic program with the title "State" attached to the name...

25 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Ohio State is the most consistently excellent program in all of College Football since WWII I think. I don't think they have had a slump like we have had ever. I am a bit jealous.

Ohio State might be 2nd in wins to another school in OU... But UT has the 2nd most all-time wins in the history of college football...  While Rutgers "invented" the game...

57 minutes ago, Parliament said:

We (re)hired Earl Bruce from ISU, and Campbell has solid Ohio ties. When the FBI finds all the dead cheerleaders in Urby's yard, Campbell will get an interview.

PJ Fleck will too.

Our fanbase assumes he'll be the next Ohio State coach.

14 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Our fanbase assumes he'll be the next Ohio State coach.

He could retire as a legend at Iowa State if he stayed and annually placed the team in the XII conference game, at Ohio State he's just be another cog in the system...

1 hour ago, kopp0e said:

Well you can't fault me if I forgot about Ohio State (I honestly did), as that's the same thing the CFP committee did when picking a team that didn't win it's division over a team that was crowned B1G conference champions after winning the leagues' championship game... I'm sure that was an "honest" mistake as well...

Anyway, that would still place Iowa State no worse than the 5th best athletic program with the title "State" attached to the name...

What the hell are you talking about?  Are you talking 5th best D1 football program or 5th best athletic program?  You've said both now.  Either way, I don't think they are top 5.  

1 hour ago, kopp0e said:

I don't know what you're talking about.  The CFP didn't forget that Ohio State existed when thinking of the best "State" programs in college football.  It's not the same thing you did.

Edited by South Austin

1 hour ago, kopp0e said:

Let's stick to football. I'm interested in hearing your ranking of the following schools:

Washington State

Oregon State

Arizona State

LSU

Mississippi State

Florida State

NC State

Penn State

Michigan State

Iowa State

Oklahoma State

Kansas State

Ohio State

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, kopp0e said:

He could retire as a legend at Iowa State if he stayed and annually placed the team in the XII conference game, at Ohio State he's just be another cog in the system...

He's also a Rust Belt guy through and through.  He loves Ohio, and wants to climb that mountain, IMO.

He could be our Bill Snyder though, you're right.  I just don't think he wants that.

15 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Let's stick to football. I'm interested in hearing your ranking of the following schools:

Washington State

Oregon State

Arizona State

LSU

Mississippi State

Florida State

NC State

Penn State

Michigan State

Iowa State

Oklahoma State

Kansas State

Ohio State

Oregon State is definitely at the bottom of this list.

23 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Shit.  This is harder than I thought.  

Ohio State

LSU

Penn State

Florida St

Michigan State

Oklahoma State

Washington State

Mississippi State

Kansas State

Arizona State

NC State

Iowa State

Oregon State

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Well, Urban Meyer is in that 6-7 year zone of having a vague heart ailment, so it may happen in the near future.

Yeah, I figure we'll get 5 years out of him.  So 3 more.

It will be much easier to bring a good coach in to follow him with that blue print out there.  It wouldn't surprise me at all if he's grooming up some assistant to take over in his wake.

1 minute ago, Go Pokes said:

Shit.  This is harder than I thought.  

Ohio State

LSU

Penn State

Florida St

Michigan State

Oklahoma State

Washington State

Mississippi State

Kansas State

Arizona State

NC State

Iowa State

Oregon State

I'd put Kansas State ahead of Miss St and the Pirate Ship, but otherwise this looks right.  Probably put FSU ahead of Pedo too.

Hmm... 

#1 Ohio State - No matter who coaches, this Buckeye program produces, even in spite of not being picked for the CFP last year...

#2 Florida State - Bowden put this program on the map, I don't know what Jimbo did, or was that just all Winston "eating a W"...

#3 LSU - THe good Cajun food that is available around Baton Rouge makes this a "have to get to know" kind of place for a game...

#4 NC State - It has to take as certain kind of fan to endure the Tar Heels & Blue Devils, and still fight for recognition nationally...

#5 Iowa State - This is a program that is overlooked & undervalued, a loyal group that is always hospitable representatives of Ames... 

#6 Penn State - If not for the Sandusky cover up, this school would be higher on the list as the premier athletic brand in the state...

#7 Michigan State - This is a solid brand in it's own right, but still in the shadow of UM, a "richer version" of an ag school in the B1G...

#8 Oklahoma State - This is a "overachiever", the population of the state & the fact Poke competes with OU for talent is overlooked...

#9 Arizona State - This school is higher on the list for the atmosphere around the campus, and that the majority of chicks are hot...

#10 Kansas State - The Wizard has done his magic up in Manhattan, but what will be for the 'Cats after he steps away is still unknown...

#11 Oregon State - What, didn't this school just beat the hogs in the CWS..? Well that's good enough for me that the school isn't lower...

#12 Mississippi State - Down in Dakville, all those cowbells that are rang during the game, it's quite unique to hear in surround sound...

#13 Washington State - Well, there's the pirate of Pullman out on the western shores of the Pacific, but other than that, I got nothing...

#14 Boise State - The statue of Liberty play & proposal to the cheerleader chick put this school on the map, (not the Smurf turf)...

#15 Indiana State - Because, Lary furking Bird man, he single handedly carried a team to the NCAA championship game back in the day..!

26 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

He's also a Rust Belt guy through and through.  He loves Ohio, and wants to climb that mountain, IMO.

He could be our Bill Snyder though, you're right.  I just don't think he wants that.

Well, I hope I'm right & your wrong, as it's possible the fans in Ames could win him over... Just look at what the fans in Oklahoma City did in influencing PG to resign...

34 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I don't know what you're talking about.  The CFP didn't forget that Ohio State existed when thinking of the best "State" programs in college football.  It's not the same thing you did.

I know it's not literally the same thing, it's a play on words as in the team "should have been picked and not forgotten" over allowing Alabama into the CFP (without a league title)...

Just now, Go Pokes said:

That is one weird list.  It seems like you are basing some of it on football, some of it on overall athletic department performance, and some of it on demographics.  

Yes... And some on food & chicks, so that is part of the ranking as well, about the same as any regular season college football top 25 rankings that are all over the place...

9 minutes ago, kopp0e said:

Hmm... 

#1 Ohio State - No matter who coaches, this Buckeye program produces, even in spite of not being picked for the CFP last year...

#2 Florida State - Bowden put this program on the map, I don't know what Jimbo did, or was that just all Winston "eating a W"...

#3 LSU - THe good Cajun food that is available around Baton Rouge makes this a "have to get to know" kind of place for a game...

#4 NC State - It has to take as certain kind of fan to endure the Tar Heels & Blue Devils, and still fight for recognition nationally...

#5 Iowa State - This is a program that is overlooked & undervalued, a loyal group that is always hospitable representatives of Ames... 

#6 Penn State - If not for the Sandusky cover up, this school would be higher on the list as the premier athletic brand in the state...

#7 Michigan State - This is a solid brand in it's own right, but still in the shadow of UM, a "richer version" of an ag school in the B1G...

#8 Oklahoma State - This is a "overachiever", the population of the state & the fact Poke competes with OU for talent is overlooked...

#9 Arizona State - This school is higher on the list for the atmosphere around the campus, and that the majority of chicks are hot...

#10 Kansas State - The Wizard has done his magic up in Manhattan, but what will be for the 'Cats after he steps away is still unknown...

#11 Oregon State - What, didn't this school just beat the hogs in the CWS..? Well that's good enough for me that the school isn't lower...

#12 Mississippi State - Down in Dakville, all those cowbells that are rang during the game, it's quite unique to hear in surround sound...

#13 Washington State - Well, there's the pirate of Pullman out on the western shores of the Pacific, but other than that, I got nothing...

#14 Boise State - The statue of Liberty play & proposal to the cheerleader chick put this school on the map, (not the Smurf turf)...

#15 Indiana State - Because, Lary furking Bird man, he single handedly carried a team to the NCAA championship game back in the day..!

I meant a ranking based on historical football prowess on the field, but you do you.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, kopp0e said:

I know it's not literally the same thing, it's a play on words as in the team "should have been picked and not forgotten" over allowing Alabama into the CFP (without a league title)...

Don’t worry, I forget things all the time. Like whenever I think that Austin is the capital of Texas, a voice inside my head responds, “Wrong commie, it’s Houston!”

• Like 1

Here's mine.  I'm going all-time (although admitting recency bias) and football prestige only.

1. Ohio State

2. Florida State

3. LSU

4. Penn State

5. Michigan State

6. Oklahoma State

7. Kansas State

8.  MIssissippi State

9. Iowa State

10. Arizona State

11. Washington State

12. NC State

13. Oregon State

Edited by 'stache

2 hours ago, Saint Tacky said:

Hold please.  John Cooper on line one.

When tOSU hired Earle Bruce away from ISU (thanks Woody) we had a chance to hire Cooper who (having been a former ISU player) wanted the ISU job.  So our idiot AD hired Donnie Duncan who did nothing but squander Bruce's outstanding roster and set into motion fifteen straight losses to Iowa.

I think Cooper would've thrived at ISU and become our Hayden Fry or Bill Snyder

3 minutes ago, SnowAggy said:

When tOSU hired Earle Bruce away from ISU (thanks Woody) we had a chance to hire Cooper who (having been a former ISU player) wanted the ISU job.  So our idiot AD hired Donnie Duncan who did nothing but squander Bruce's outstanding roster and set into motion fifteen straight losses to Iowa.

I think Cooper would've thrived at ISU and become our Hayden Fry or Bill Snyder

Then of course there's the story that Snyder wanted to be our Bill Snyder and interviewed for the job that Jim Criner got.  So we screwed that pooch too.

9 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Then of course there's the story that Snyder wanted to be our Bill Snyder and interviewed for the job that Jim Criner got.  So we screwed that pooch too.

Yeah, "Tell me about Iowa State" can be summed up with three words...Athletic Director ineptitude, historically.  But I do think Pollard is doing a great job now.  And Gene Smith obviously moved out and up.

9 hours ago, South Austin said:

Don’t worry, I forget things all the time. Like whenever I think that Austin is the capital of Texas, a voice inside my head responds, “Wrong commie, it’s Houston!”

Hey Texas is big enough to have more than one capital, we all know Texas is like a whole 'nother country..!

15 minutes ago, Saint Tacky said:

That's akin to complimenting the pilot on a smooth flight, until the crash landing.

The fact that you would say this says a lot about Ohio State's ridiculous consistency. I mean we had an era where we beat everybody except OU for awhile and that was what we call our best era since the early 80s.

On 7/11/2018 at 6:53 PM, Hurtlocker said:

Was driving all afternoon and on ESPNU's XM station I heard them talking about this.  

Black?

I think the suggestion of a mustard yellow shirt would work, with a chrome helmet & granite pants...