Tell me about Iowa State

Longboard Horn

Can confirm. This exit is a nightmare. You have less than 40 yards to change lane to the exit lane while going at 70+ and at the same time make sure nobody is also not entering the highway in those 40 yards at the same time. It gets even worse in winter when you have to decelerate into the loop and there is snow and ice

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

As far as recruiting is concerned, Texas, Oklahoma and Iowa State each aim to pull talent from California. In 2018, the Longhorns and Cyclones each signed a pair of prospects from The Golden State, and thus far this cycle, Texas and Oklahoma have each earned a commit from California and remain in the mix with others.

https://www.diehards.com/big-12/texa...satellite-camp

It looks like Iowa State, (along with both Oklahoma and Texas) are making more of an effort to get recruiting pipelines within the Golden State:

23 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Because Republicans have been destroying our infrastructure for the past 2 years.  They want us to be Kansas, apparently 

Yay for politics in a sports message board!  Those darn Iowa Republicans are at it again.  For the record the company building the bridge is from Minnesota. Not sure if they hire A&M grads.  Lowest bidder usually wins most contracts. 

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, 'stache said:

I guess that makes Iowa Stephon Ur-kell. A fraud who thinks highly of himself but everyone else knows he sucks and laughs.

That is fucking brilliant.

If it weren't for Aggy, Iowa would win the most delusional fanbase award.  Maybe they aren't that delusional when interacting with other fanbases, but they certainly are that way with us.

Early on, when the series was renewed, they tried to play the whole "we won't play at your stadium" shit.  They caved, but that's the way they see things.  That attitude still permeates their fanbase.

9 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

That is fucking brilliant.

If it weren't for Aggy, Iowa would win the most delusional fanbase award.  Maybe they aren't that delusional when interacting with other fanbases, but they certainly are that way with us.

Early on, when the series was renewed, they tried to play the whole "we won't play at your stadium" shit.  They caved, but that's the way they see things.  That attitude still permeates their fanbase.

And isn't it due to like one coach?  Were they good before Fry?

3 minutes ago, Hurtlocker said:

And isn't it due to like one coach?  Were they good before Fry?

They were good in the 40's through the very early 60's under Forest Evashevski.  They actually claim a natty from that period, but it was given to them by some publication that no longer exists in a year where the AP awarded it to LSU who had a better record, so it's pretty Aggy to claim it.  That's when they established their initial popularity.  They then sucked until Fry, who had his first good year in like '79 or '80. 

What created the real gap between Iowa and Iowa State was their ascension under Fry at a time when Iowa State was making terrible coaching hires, investing nothing into facilities, and getting hit with NCAA sanctions.  Now that Iowa State is the larger college, putting more alumni back into Iowa, and finally becoming the more popular school in the Des Moines metro, it's changing the dynamic of the rivalry and long time Hawk fans that are steeped in their superiority over ISU are not reacting well.

2 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Plus, Bob Stoops played at Iowa. It’s where he first fell in love with dickeating.

His in-laws live in the same small town I do.  I'm always on the lookout for him in the grocery store around Christmas, to confirm an unusual amount of sausages in his shopping cart.

I do think Stoops's Iowa connection was a big part of us never even coming close to upsetting OU during his tenure.  We'd rise up here and there and upset literally everyone else, but Stoops just took us to the wood shed year after year after year.

He knew not overlook ISU, and he damn sure wasn't going to lose to us.

33 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Iowa State fans must be watching this debacle in Columbus very closely.

I'd say a majority of us figure Matt will be the next tOSU coach.  Him taking the position before the end of the GoR would be quintessential ISU fan kick to the nuts...

So yeah, watching and waiting for it.

I like Iowa State fans, both on the Internets and in real life.

OTOH, I don't think I'll ever, ever, ever, ever, ever get over this:

240-PDtKH.St.55.jpg

Of course, we've really been trying to make up for it over the past several years by spotting Iowa State huge leads in games only to come back and tear their hearts out in the 4th quarter.

But that will likely never make up for OSU's best chance to win a national title in football in my lifetime.  [SIGH]

14 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

I like Iowa State fans, both on the Internets and in real life.

OTOH, I don't think I'll ever, ever, ever, ever, ever get over this:

240-PDtKH.St.55.jpg

Of course, we've really been trying to make up for it over the past several years by spotting Iowa State huge leads in games only to come back and tear their hearts out in the 4th quarter.

But that will likely never make up for OSU's best chance to win a national title in football in my lifetime.  [SIGH]

This was a gutshot, but they did you a favor. You would have been mauled in the MNC game by Bama in front of a national audience. 

30 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

This was a gutshot, but they did you a favor. You would have been mauled in the MNC game by Bama in front of a national audience. 

Bama would have played them with a loss to LSU? Huh.

And in any case people probably would have said the same about us and USC in 2005 if we had somehow blown it along the way. I say it is better to take your chances.

4 hours ago, Vertigo said:

Well, that's just like, your opinion man.

But anyway like others said, we would have played LSU, not Bama.  And I firmly believe we would have easily beaten them. 

Remember we beat Stanford w/ Andrew Luck in the Fiesta Bowl.  Stanford was alleged to have a really good defense and we ran up and down the field on them. And of course their offense was about 10,000x better than the dog shit offense LSU was running out there.  LSU was basically Stanford with a little bit better defense and MUCH, MUCH, MUCH worse offense.

I honestly think we would have beaten Bama as well, although it would have been closer than LSU. 

Iowa State renames field:

ISU renames football field after MidAmerican Energy sponsorship

1 day ago - ISU renames football field after MidAmerican Energy sponsorship. AMES - Iowa State University held a press conference to announce a new project and name addition for the football field.

____ Field at ___ Stadium never works.  They tried it at OSU when we changed to Boone Pickens Stadium and it never stuck and eventually just dropped off.  I guarantee that if people continue just referring to it as Jack Trice Stadium, the company will offer some additional money to just have it changed altogether.  I get that Jack Trice is a big thing but money always wins.  Always.

15 minutes ago, Magus Ossis said:

Maybe. They were almost as good as ISU that year.

You're right. If we would have played Bama on the road at night the same day that one of our basketball coaches died in plane crash I imagine we probably would have lost to them as well.

But had we played them in early January in a bowl game I would have liked our chances.

• 2 weeks later...

They didn't actually change the name.  It's still Jack Trice Stadium and it will likely always be.  Mid-American Energy is just going to put logos on the field, big deal.  It's no different than the arrangement we currently have with Pioneer Hybrids to have the Pioneer Court at Hilton Coliseum.  It's still Hilton Coliseum and it's still Jack Trice Stadium and those sponsors knew it when they wrote the checks.

Speaking of Jack Trice, this is awesome.  http://www.kagavi.com/jack-trice-in-the-minnesota-game/

Trice-Minnesota-game.jpg

The only known photo of Trice actually playing.  This is against Minnesota in the game where he got murdered.

• Like 4

Al,

My wife teaches and has in her classroom a section with all kinds of College logos on the wall. She has a friend that also teaches and said we needed to put up Iowa as that is where he attended. I printed out Iowa State logo for her to put up instead.

• Like 4