Tell me about Iowa State

Longboard Horn

17 minutes ago, 66BUFF said:

Classic unis for both teams.  Buffs won 12-7

Agreed.  Oddly enough, ISU won at Folsom the next year 20-16.

I can only remember ISU winning in Folsom once in my fanhood:  2000.  2010 (our final trip there) should have been an ISU win giving us bowl eligibility.  We were 5-5 coming off a heart breaking 2 OT loss to Nebraska.  You guys had just fired Hawkins.  Our starting QB blew his knee out in the first quarter, and it was like a boulder (pun firmly intended) rolling down hill from there.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Agreed.  Oddly enough, ISU won at Folsom the next year 20-16.

I can only remember ISU winning in Folsom once in my fanhood:  2000.  2010 (our final trip there) should have been an ISU win giving us bowl eligibility.  We were 5-5 coming off a heart breaking 2 OT loss to Nebraska.  You guys had just fired Hawkins.  Our starting QB blew his knee out in the first quarter, and it was like a boulder (pun firmly intended) rolling down hill from there.

Two words, Earle Bruce. The Earle Bruce Cyclones beat UNL in Ames in '76 and then went TO Lincoln in '77 and beat Nebraska in their revenge game, 24-21.  

2 minutes ago, SnowAggy said:

About five minutes after Woody punched that kid from Clemson, lolz.

tOSU hired Earle after they fired Hayes following the '78 Gator Bowl.

Makes you wonder what Earle could have built if Woody stays at OSU for another 10 years 

3 minutes ago, 66BUFF said:

Makes you wonder what Earle could have built if Woody stays at OSU for another 10 years 

It definitely would have complicated the rise of Hayden Fry.

When ISU hired Donnie Duncan, John Cooper wanted the job.  He's an ISU alum.  After we fired Donnie Duncan, Bill Snyder wanted the job.  We hired Jim Criner.

We've been fucked over by the refs/universe many times, but we're pretty good at fucking ourselves too.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

3 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

It definitely would have complicated the rise of Hayden Fry.

When ISU hired Donnie Duncan, John Cooper wanted the job.  He's an ISU alum.  After we fired Donnie Duncan, Bill Snyder wanted the job.  We hired Jim Criner.

We've been fucked over by the refs/universe many times, but we're pretty good at fucking ourselves too.

We picked the absolute worst time to hire Donnie Duncan.  At the exact same moment (in 1979) that Iowa began their ascendancy with Hayden, we nose-dived. But even if Earle had stuck around he would've demanded shovels in the ground constantly (as Fry did at Iowa) and more money than he was likely to get out of Bob Parks (ISU's president at the time).  So who knows...

• 2 weeks later...

HaHaHaHa.... of course after that bad loss without fans!!!

Iowa State to permit fan attendance at Cyclones' game vs Sooners

Mason Young, asst sports editor Sep 24, 2020 

After barring fans from its first 2020 home game on Sept. 12, Iowa State will permit fans to attend its Oct. 3 home bout against Oklahoma, Cyclone athletics director Jamie Pollard announced Thursday.

Pollard also announced all seats for the contest will be assigned. No general admission tickets will be sold to allow for more efficient contact tracing. Meanwhile, tailgating is not allowed and face coverings are required for all attendees.

Attendance for the contest is projected to hover around 15,000 — less than 25 percent of the stadium's 61,500 seat capacity — after multitudes of Iowa State fans opted out of their tickets, per Pollard's letter. The Cyclones are also capping their student section at 1,000 seats.

The Sooners' kickoff time in Ames is still up in the air as FOX and ESPN decide on broadcast scheduling. OU will face the Cyclones at either 11 a.m. CT on FOX or 6:30 p.m. CT on ESPN.

http://www.oudaily.com/sports/ou-football-iowa-state-to-permit-fan-attendance-at-cyclones-game-vs-sooners/article_0cba0676-fe7c-11ea-84cb-632c526bd505.html

Edited by LTtxfan

• 2 weeks later...

Congratulations to ISU! I’ve been a “rooting fan” for ISU since they came to the Alamo Bowl a couple of years ago, even though they have been a thorn in UT’s side every couple of years. The ISU fans in SA prior, during, and after the game traveled well and were a great part of the bowl atmosphere. They should always get our teams respect, similar to KSU.

I like their brand of tough football and it’s usually in all three phases of the game. They might be out “athletically” behind vs some teams, but rarely do they seemed to be out coached.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Not fun to see.... 

Kansas hasn’t fared well in the conference in the past decade and haven’t won a road game against the Big 12 since they did so against Iowa State in 2008. It’s been 12 years since the Jayhawks won a conference game on the road and that’s a record you don’t want to have attached to your program.

Not fun to see.... 
Kansas hasn’t fared well in the conference in the past decade and haven’t won a road game against the Big 12 since they did so against Iowa State in 2008. It’s been 12 years since the Jayhawks won a conference game on the road and that’s a record you don’t want to have attached to your program.

Todd Reesing and Mangino were still there. Chizik’s second year here. We blew a 21 point lead at half time. My buddy was so drunk he biffed it and knocked himself out on the bleachers after a TD.

Fun times.

Only bummer about the weekend is I'll miss hanging at the tailgate with some Iowa State folks. Always a great time.

I greatly enjoyed my trip to Stillwater in ‘14. Very similar fanbases, towns, etc.

It’s great to see the Big 8 ag schools succeeding this year (as much as KSU annoys me).
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, 'stache said:

God dammit, I thought the bump was going to be that they caught fucking covid and that we'd have a second straight game "postponed." Should be a good matchup.

There's still time...but we've been pretty on top of it.

Yeah, really looking forward to the game.  I presume it won't be 40 degrees in Stillwater like it will be Ames...

It fucking snowed this morning in Sioux City.

16 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I greatly enjoyed my trip to Stillwater in ‘14. Very similar fanbases, towns, etc.

It’s great to see the Big 8 ag schools succeeding this year (as much as KSU annoys me).

I pull hard for Iowa State and KSU in pretty much every game when they aren't playing OSU... the fact that you guys have been a thorn in OUsux's side has made it even better. :)

• Like 1

There's still time...but we've been pretty on top of it.
Yeah, really looking forward to the game.  I presume it won't be 40 degrees in Stillwater like it will be Ames...
It fucking snowed this morning in Sioux City.

Snow? Lol. I’m up by Osage and we didn’t have shit. I’d take some. Need a damn day off.

• 4 weeks later...

This should make BROCK return in 2021 unless Matt Campbell leaves... From 2020 PFF QB Rankings ahead of Week 12

63.    BROCK PURDY, IOWA STATE

There hasn’t been a bigger disappointment in college football this year than Purdy. He shined as an underclassman in 2018 and 2019 with passing grades of 88.0 and 82.2, respectively, and proved to be one of the best passers in the country when in rhythm. He had a lot of moments where he tried doing too much off structure, but his impressive timing and anticipation were routinely on full display in those two years.

This year, all that good has vanished. Purdy has taken a significant step back, lowering his passing grade to 60.7 while sitting outside the top 100 in both big-time throw rate and turnover-worthy play rate

https://www.pff.com/news/college-football-ranking-all-127-fbs-quarterback-situations-ahead-of-cfb-week-12

I love and hate the "Brock Purdy sucks narrative".  He's been doing his part to help us win games, still makes a lot of big time throws, and is pretty clearly the best QB in ISU history.  He isn't really regressing.  What no one outside of Ames seems to realize is how bad his WR corps has gotten since his freshman year, where he had 2 guys who made NFL rosters, plus the 3 TEs he currently has.  It fell of a little last year, and then the bottom really dropped out this year when our top returner (Tarique Milton) was lost for the season.  There's just no one making the kind of plays that Hakeem Butler, Matt Eaton, and Deshaunte Jones did that really made Purdy look elite.

He's had 1.5 really bad games this year, and a total WTF moment against TCU, and other than that I've been quite pleased.

The best part is that we're definitely going to get him back next year as a result.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1