Tell me about Iowa State

Longboard Horn

18 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Didn't Purdy really play poorly early against Baylor -- like 3 interceptions in the first 20 minutes??

I'm sure that skews the 2020 stats quite a bit.  No doubt y'all need better WRs right now...

He was awful to start the Baylor game.  So bad I wanted them to bench him the way you bench a pitcher who's just getting shelled.

He was probably as efficient in the 2nd half as he was bad in the first.

Video: Before beating the Longhorns, listen to Matt Campbell’s message to Iowa State about loyalty

By Doug Samuels -   December 1, 2020

Loyalty is important to Campbell, as it is has become a key ingredient to the culture he’s created with the Cyclones.

Before facing the Longhorns last weekend, with both sidelines understanding that the winner of the match up would find themselves firmly in the drivers seat of controlling their destiny to reach the Big 12 title game, Campbell’s message to his team was centered on loyalty.

“There is still work to be done…IF you want to get the crown. The crown comes with one word, and it is the most powerful thing that you have, and that is loyalty.”

“You can’t let it die. You can’t let it go away. You can’t, all of a sudden, have ego and think that we are something we’re not. What we are, is what I told you last night: We are good enough, and you are enough, if you are willing to stay the course.”

He's either sticking around for awhile (past behavior indicates that), or setting us up for a giant nut shot when he takes the Michigan job (history of the universe indicates that).

What wins out?  If you view Campbell through his words and his actions, it looks like he wants to be our Bill Snyder (one of the guys he lists as an idol).

If you look at the general trajectory of things, he moves on.

9 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

He's either sticking around for awhile (past behavior indicates that), or setting us up for a giant nut shot when he takes the Michigan job (history of the universe indicates that).

What wins out?  If you view Campbell through his words and his actions, it looks like he wants to be our Bill Snyder (one of the guys he lists as an idol).

If y'all make it to the B12 Championship Game and Matt's family is happy in Ames, then he should stay.  Only leave for the job he really wants -- don't think Michigan is a job Campbell really wants...

HELL,  he doesn't have to ever leave Iowa State...

Edited by LTtxfan

1 minute ago, LTtxfan said:

If y'all make it to the B12 Championship Game and Matt's family is happy in Ames, then he should stay.  Only leave for the job he really wants -- don't think Michigan is a job Campbell really wants...

From all indications, his family really likes Ames.  But he's really private, and his wife and kids aren't all that visible or "out there" in the community like some of the previous coaching staff's families have been (Hoiberg comes to mind - his family was super visible).

He's making 3.5 million per year right now and will only make more.  Given the Iowa COL, he'd never be able to spend it.

Would you rather be Kirk Ferentz/Bill Snyder or Rich Rodriguez/Gene Chizik?  Seems like an easy choice.  But most guys do choose the Rich Rod route.

5 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

From all indications, his family really likes Ames.  But he's really private, and his wife and kids aren't all that visible or "out there" in the community like some of the previous coaching staff's families have been (Hoiberg comes to mind - his family was super visible).

He's making 3.5 million per year right now and will only make more.  Given the Iowa COL, he'd never be able to spend it.

Would you rather be Kirk Ferentz/Bill Snyder or Rich Rodriguez/Gene Chizik?  Seems like an easy choice.  But most guys do choose the Rich Rod route.

I think Penn State, Pitt, Ohio State, and possibly Tenn & Notre Dame are jobs Campbell would leave Iowa State for...

Also one of the jobs in Virginia...

Edited by LTtxfan

15 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

I think Penn State, Pitt, Ohio State, and possibly Tenn & Notre Dame are jobs Campbell would leave Iowa State for...

Very good chance the Virginia Tech job is open soon.  Fuente is wearing out his welcome there in spectacular fashion.

41 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Michigan, Ohio State, ND, Wisky.  That's where he'd go.  But he shouldn't.  Stay in Ames and tip cows and become a legend.  Do for ISU what Ferenz did for IA.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Rumors were he turned down Tennessee a couple years ago and Florida State last year.  Notre Dame and Ohio State are the two college jobs that I could see him leaving us for; I suppose I wouldn't be shocked if he eventually went to Michigan or Penn State if offered.  I try not to worry about it much; cant control it anyways.  Just trying my best to enjoy this season.

Really good read... Campbell is a great fit for Iowa State.  Still learning how to be a successful as a young Head Coach, and willing to make changes when things don't work.

If/when he leaves Iowa State, I hope he doesn't leave too early and bite off more than he can chew -- I would not take the Michigan job right now if if we're Matt.

https://sports.yahoo.com/amphtml/matt-campbell-ended-generations-of-futility-at-iowa-state-053103504.html?__twitter_impression=true

On 12/1/2020 at 3:56 PM, Al_4_ISU said:

They all say that, it's rarely true. The last time I was duped was Brad Underwood. From a small town in Kansas like Eddie Sutton, liked small town life, was "awed" by the history of our program, and said it was his dream job and he wanted to bring the program back to life and retire there. He left literally hours after we lost a tournament game (ptttffft). The only reason we have had Gundy so long is that he is an alum and truly likes his little fiefdom in Stillwater. I predict he'll retire by or before 2025. He said at one point he didn't plan to coach much past 50 years old and he is probably a little sick right now from causing controversy by running his mouth this summer about COVID and cloak room.

It looks like several jobs in Campbell's old BIG area stomping grounds are going to be opening up soon and I expect he'll take one of them, or possibly to NFL like college coaches seem to enjoy doing these days. If you can keep him long term, congratulations, it would be great for your program.

Edited by 'stache

17 minutes ago, 'stache said:

They all say that, it's rarely true. The last time I was duped was Brad Underwood. From a small town in Kansas like Eddie Sutton, liked small town life, was "awed" by the history of our program, and said it was his dream job and he wanted to bring the program back to life and retire there. He left literally hours after we lost a tournament game (ptttffft). The only reason we have had Gundy so long is that he is an alum and truly likes his little fiefdom in Stillwater. I predict he'll retire by or before 2025. He said at one point he didn't plan to coach much past 50 years old and he is probably a little sick right now from causing controversy by running his mouth this summer about COVID and cloak room.

It looks like several jobs in Campbell's old BIG area stomping grounds are going to be opening up soon and I expect he'll take one of them, or possibly to NFL like college coaches seem to enjoy doing these days. If you can keep him long term, congratulations, it would be great for your program.

Underwood left at his first opportunity.

Campbell's been a hot name for the past 3 (4 including this one) seasons and hasn't left yet.  He might go to Michigan this year, but he's had a ton of opportunities to leave and hasn't yet.  That's what I mean by "his actions".  He's passed on opportunities to leave Ames.  He might not be Bill Snyder, but he's definitely not Brad Underwood.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

12 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Underwood left at his first opportunity.

Campbell's been a hot name for the past 3 (4 including this one) seasons and hasn't left yet.  He might go to Michigan this year, but he's had a ton of opportunities to leave and hasn't yet.  That's what I mean by "his actions".  He's passed on opportunities to leave Ames.  He might not be Bill Snyder, but he's definitely not Brad Underwood.

Has he had any final offers from "blueblood" or "helmet" schools yet? I can definitely see him turning down lateral moves, but Michigan, Notre Dame, even Penn State may be too much for him to turn down.

10 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Has he had any final offers from "blueblood" or "helmet" schools yet? I can definitely see him turning down lateral moves, but Michigan, Notre Dame, even Penn State may be too much for him to turn down.

Tennessee and Florida State.

There are 3 jobs I see him taking:  Ohio State, Notre Dame, and then Michigan - in that order.  I don't see him taking Penn State.  Michigan has a lot of money, and it's a blue blood, but he's not going to be employed there in 3 years.  Not with what's going on in Columbus.  

Edited by Al_4_ISU

1 minute ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Tennessee and Florida State.

There are 3 jobs I see him taking:  Ohio State, Notre Dame, and then Michigan - in that order.  I don't see him taking Penn State.  Michigan has a lot of money, and it's a blue blood, but he's not going to be employed there in 3 years.  Not with what's going on in Columbus.  

Makes sense. Tennessee has a huge stadium but hasn't been a contender since the late 90s. FSU seems like a complete cesspool right now who caught lightning in a bottle with Famous Jameis but otherwise also haven't been what they were since the early 2000s. It also seems like Campbell likes the upper midwest so I don't think he'd take the Texas job if offered. I would say 50-50 he'll be at Michigan next year.

It doesn't seem money is really a factor.   If he wanted to jump for money he could and, while he's not in the top 20 of coaches salaries, he's not rubbing nickels together.    What's a better financial move?   Keep a job making $4m a year (avg) over 10 years where they won't fire you for a bad year or get canned in 4 years where you make $5-6m and then can't get picked up again at a major level?

Obviously, don't know the guy, but hearing @Al_4_ISU talk, my guess is what he wants most isn't the highest paycheck, but more where he can do it his way.    Can he do that at Michigan, or does he have to do it the Michigan way?  Or like FSU, is it a Jimbo battle between what he wants, vs what the boosters want?    If the Cyclones can give him a blank slate to do what he wants, how he wants, the job security to not have to be 10 wins a year to keep his job, and the facilities to stay in the race, what does he really gain by moving if he's already prepping to play in championship games?

I know you said Penn State doesn't seem to fit, Al, but for me Ohio State and Michigan don't really fit.   Yes, both are blue bloods, midwest, mega money.   But if you're not recruiting the 5 stars and running the ship the way they want it run, you're not going to be there long.   Neither are really "blue collar" approach jobs.   Penn State could be that, basically ISU on steroids.

Either way, wouldn't shock me at all if he ended up at one of those three or ended up doing what @Parliament mentions in being the next Snyder, or Fry, or Ferenz, or Gundy, or Beamer, or Patterson, or Fitzgerald, or Dantonio, or Cutcliffe, etc.   None of those guys are in jobs that have significantly more advantages than he has currently, and they all stuck around.

• 2 weeks later...