Tell me about Iowa State

Longboard Horn

Pack for 70 degree weather and 10 degree weather.  You could get either.

Just recognize how sore of a topic realignment is when interacting with locals.  Texas fans always got great treatment in the past, but the mood has changed.  I doubt anyone would actually do something assaultive (I sure as hell hope not) but I'd imagine it won't be as welcoming as it was historically.  Not in a "throwing shit at you" way, but I don't see a lot of free beers and bratwurst being offered to Texas fans this fall.

Go to the Tip Top Lounge early on Saturday.  It's a freaking blast and a great ISU tradition.

Check the campus out.  It's quite pretty and early November should still have some leaves on the trees.

Get a hotel in Ames and bar hop on Friday night and Saturday.  

Don't go to Hickory Park to eat even if (when) people tell you to.  If you do, don't tell me that the food in Ames sucks.  I warned you about this place and I never fucking go there.

At least one night hammer some Pizza Pit and Inferno wings at Welch Ave Station while watching ball.  You won't regret it.  Es Tas is also a fun sports bar with good food.

Macubana, Cafe Beaudelaire, Cornbred, and Dublin Bay are also nicer places to eat.  Can't go wrong with any.

Wander around the tailgating lots and take in the scene.  It's going to be electric if we don't shit the bed in the mean time.  

I hope you're treated well, but I honestly have no clue what it will be like.

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Pack for 70 degree weather and 10 degree weather.  You could get either.

Just recognize how sore of a topic realignment is when interacting with locals.  Texas fans always got great treatment in the past, but the mood has changed.  I doubt anyone would actually do something assaultive (I sure as hell hope not) but I'd imagine it won't be as welcoming as it was historically.  Not in a "throwing shit at you" way, but I don't see a lot of free beers and bratwurst being offered to Texas fans this fall.

Go to the Tip Top Lounge early on Saturday.  It's a freaking blast and a great ISU tradition.

Check the campus out.  It's quite pretty and early November should still have some leaves on the trees.

Get a hotel in Ames and bar hop on Friday night and Saturday.  

Don't go to Hickory Park to eat even if (when) people tell you to.  If you do, don't tell me that the food in Ames sucks.  I warned you about this place and I never fucking go there.

At least one night hammer some Pizza Pit and Inferno wings at Welch Ave Station while watching ball.  You won't regret it.  Es Tas is also a fun sports bar with good food.

Macubana, Cafe Beaudelaire, Cornbred, and Dublin Bay are also nicer places to eat.  Can't go wrong with any.

Wander around the tailgating lots and take in the scene.  It's going to be electric if we don't shit the bed in the mean time.  

I hope you're treated well, but I honestly have no clue what it will be like.

Thanks! Hoping the young kids would keep it civil. Certainly will not be looking for trouble - just seems like a good time to introduce our sons to college football road trips. Also, my buddy got a 5th wheel or something, and we have some rv inspiration.

Thanks! Hoping the young kids would keep it civil. Certainly will not be looking for trouble - just seems like a good time to introduce our sons to college football road trips. Also, my buddy got a 5th wheel or something, and we have some rv inspiration.

Try and find an RV lot pass on the secondary market right now.
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Not a Sock said:

Fuck ISU have never seen a fan base develop such an ego while not actually winning anything, that they make Baylor fans look humble.

They have a good likable coach in Campbell that puts a good product on the field. They are tasting success that they probably never thought they would see and have developed nicely in the BigXII. I think a lot of ISU fans, outside of chest beating meatheads, are enjoying a nice run and some publicity. I’ll miss them and hope they do well after we leave. 

ISU is not as bad as fucking Baylor and the fighting Magnolias. Fuck those guys and I hope this year is the last we ever see of them. 

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, Not a Sock said:

Fuck ISU have never seen a fan base develop such an ego while not actually winning anything, that they make Baylor fans look humble.

ISU has always had good fans. I've never had a problem with them. They are nothing like Baylor. That's insulting for you to say. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...

My daughter’s roommate (a former ISU athlete) in medical school got two tickets for some ISU Athletic Department pregame tailgate or some shindig. She advised my daughter not to wear her Texas sweatshirt, but said nothing about her Texas stocking cap. Their game tickets are in ISU’s student section.

I’ll be in the visitors section with other family members, one of whom is vegan. Anyone have recommendations for a restaurant with decent vegan options? My priority is good normal food, but I’d like to be accommodating. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

Well, it's probably gonna be another 11:00a kick-off so finding a vegan breakfast in Iowa may be a bit challenging.  

Seriously though, our luck with TV this year---it's gonna be a rowdy as fuck 7:30p kick-off and in the 30's/40's (at least Sark won't pull a Mack Brown and blame the polar vortex).  I guess we'll find out in the next couple hours what time kickoff is.  Al_4_ISU will have you covered on restaurant picks.  FWIW-we were all decked out in Texas gear that year we played them Thursday night (2013 IIRC) and they were totally cool with us.  Student section might be a different story, but I found it to be a really impressive combo of loud/boisterous/shitfaced but also polite and welcoming.  Granted we were in a large group, but I found all the fans accommodating almost to a person. 

Well, it's probably gonna be another 11:00a kick-off so finding a vegan breakfast in Iowa may be a bit challenging.  
Seriously though, our luck with TV this year---it's gonna be a rowdy as fuck 7:30p kick-off and in the 30's/40's (at least Sark won't pull a Mack Brown and blame the polar vortex).  I guess we'll find out in the next couple hours what time kickoff is.  Al_4_ISU will have you covered on restaurant picks.  FWIW-we were all decked out in Texas gear that year we played them Thursday night (2013 IIRC) and they were totally cool with us.  Student section might be a different story, but I found it to be a really impressive combo of loud/boisterous/shitfaced but also polite and welcoming.  Granted we were in a large group, but I found all the fans accommodating almost to a person. 

Texas in 2013 was viewed very differently than Texas in 2021.

My daughter’s roommate (a former ISU athlete) in medical school got two tickets for some ISU Athletic Department pregame tailgate or some shindig. She advised my daughter not to wear her Texas sweatshirt, but said nothing about her Texas stocking cap. Their game tickets are in ISU’s student section.
I’ll be in the visitors section with other family members, one of whom is vegan. Anyone have recommendations for a restaurant with decent vegan options? My priority is good normal food, but I’d like to be accommodating. 

I have no idea what vegan restrictions are, but that’s going to make things tough. All my go-to spots are meat heavy.

9 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I have no idea what vegan restrictions are, but that’s going to make things tough. All my go-to spots are meat heavy.

Same for me (Cornfed in 2019).

I wonder if there are any places that will throw a vegan hot dog in the microwave if we supply the dog.

We’ll be going out to eat after the game. If it was breakfast, I’d tell her to eat toast with margarine. 

Same for me (Cornfed in 2019).
I wonder if there are any places that will throw a vegan hot dog in the microwave if we supply the dog.
We’ll be going out to eat after the game. If it was breakfast, I’d tell her to eat toast with margarine. 

If you go to Welch Ave Station you could get some killer bread sticks. Assuming killing wheat plants isn’t anti vegan.

Cornbred was going to be my main rec.
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I have no idea what vegan restrictions are

Anything that comes from an animal is off limits. Not just flesh. No dairy (including butter). No eggs (not even from the happiest chickens directly from the farm). No mayonnaise. She will pass on something if the ingredients list whey or eggs as the 5th ingredient after “contains less than 2% if the following.”

…not that we’ve ever sneaked eggs into anything like a cake. Never. 

I thought big XII tv deal only allowed for two 6-day holds.m but apparently they get three this year.  So 11/6 games in holding pattern until Halloween.  

but I’m dressing up as Nostradamus and predicting 11am.  

1 hour ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Anything that comes from an animal is off limits. Not just flesh. No dairy (including butter). No eggs (not even from the happiest chickens directly from the farm). No mayonnaise. She will pass on something if the ingredients list whey or eggs as the 5th ingredient after “contains less than 2% if the following.”

…not that we’ve ever sneaked eggs into anything like a cake. Never. 

As said above, Provisions will be a good choice, though on gameday I am sure it will be super-crowded. 

I like Whatcha Smokin' BBQ in Luther. It's 14 miles from the stadium, so should be less crowded on gameday, or it was when I went in 2019. The only vegan option there would be salad, but I mean vegans get what they get. The BBQ is pretty decent central-Texas style. 

• Like 1

As said above, Provisions will be a good choice, though on gameday I am sure it will be super-crowded. 
I like Whatcha Smokin' BBQ in Luther. It's 14 miles from the stadium, so should be less crowded on gameday, or it was when I went in 2019. The only vegan option there would be salad, but I mean vegans get what they get. The BBQ is pretty decent central-Texas style. 

Yep, reservations if you can get them at provisions.

I was gonna say Whatcha Smokin BBQ as well but didn't know how far you were wanting to drive and the whole vegan thing, it's definitely pretty good though.
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, ISUCyclones said:

Yep, reservations if you can get them at provisions.

I was gonna say Whatcha Smokin BBQ as well but didn't know how far you were wanting to drive and the whole vegan thing, it's definitely pretty good though.

IMO, being able to get into the place is worth driving 14 miles.

Parking (and then walking) around Jack Trice was my least favorite part of the visit, but that's true at most any stadium. 

• Like 1

I was up a few weeks ago and ate at the Lucky Pig in Ogden. The food was very good, but eating in Ogden would certainly be dependent on where Wally is traveling from to go to Ames. I was headed from west of Carroll to Boone on 30 that day. 

Yep, for that matter des moines is going to have a bunch of great options too and is only about 40 min south of Ames.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I mean, that’s not even debatable. We probably still find a way to fuck the dog, but that was an epic screw job, and we’ve been in a few of those

Chin up, next Saturday will turn out just fine for you, with a weak team on your schedule. 

Ah, don't worry. You have a shitty Texas team to face that will get your team properly motivated to go out and kick the shit out of. 

Yeah, as soon as we’re unranked we’re good.

If they drop us out, you’re fucked. If they keep us in, it’s gonna be a bounce back win for the Horns.