Surly Boxing Thread

BigOrange1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/2/2020 at 10:51 AM, Blotto said:

Tyson still looks like he could end my life with one punch

It is intriguing to see. I just can't get around how much smaller Tyson is than today's group. I do think he'd have a good shot at the Wilder we saw get clobbered by Fury. Maybe if Wilder developed more he would be too much for a younger Tyson. As for Fury, he's almost a foot taller, probably about 40 pounds heavier. I'd watch it though.

Edited by PittsburghTiger

My son (10) and his buddy have taken enough of a recent interest in boxing that we sent them to an introductory boxing lesson this past weekend at a local gym. They each got ~60 minutes of a private lesson. The thought is to recruit 1 more buddy (to defray cost) and send them as a group of 3, once per week over the summer. 

I haven't read the entire thread carefully. Does anyone here have kids training to box? If so, what age? Where do you train? What benefits do you see? Do your kids like it? Stick with it? We're in the Houston area and have started at Baby Bull Boxing. It seems like something my son might want to stick with, so I'm starting to nose around.

Check out the records of the opponents on this weird-ass Kansas card. 

Two of the boxers on the card are bantamweight Shawn Simpson (11-0, 3 KOs) and junior lightweight Desmond Jarmon (8-0, 4 KOs), who are training in Omaha, Nebraska. The duo told ESPN that they have no concerns about the lack of coronavirus testing.

"I feel like if they take everybody's temperature, then everything should be good," said Simpson, who faces Dakota Lester (3-9-1, 3 KOs) in a scheduled six-rounder.

Jarmon, who is lined up against Mike Fowler (7-27, 2 KOs), said, "I feel everything's going to be OK as long as everyone keeps their social distancing."

https://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/id/29253458/hybrid-combat-card-moves-kansas-locations-covid-19-testing

Edited by ss13

Live card on ESPN now. Metcalf/Cash fight just ended on a headbutt. 

Shakur Stevenson vs. Felix Caraballo, 10 rounds, junior lightweights

Jared Anderson vs. Johnnie Langston, 6 rounds, heavyweights

Guido Vianello vs. Donald Haynesworth, 6 rounds, heavyweights

Robeisy Ramirez vs. Yeuri Andujar, 6 rounds, featherweights

Calvin Metcalf vs. Quatavious Cash, 6 rounds, middleweights

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anyone know this dude? 

Junior middleweight fighter Travell Mazion died Wednesday night in a car crash, according to police. He was 24.

Mazion was involved in a car crash outside Austin, Texas, when the Cadillac he was driving crossed the center median into oncoming traffic. Also killed was the driver of one of the vehicles he struck. Austin-Travis County EMS said one other person was taken to the hospital.

"We at Golden Boy are deeply saddened by the tragic passing of Travell Mazion last night," Golden Boy Promotions, the company that handled his career, said in a statement. "Mazion was a kind, charismatic young man who lit up every room he walked into and brought excitement to fans inside the ring. We send our heartfelt prayers and thoughts to his family. May he rest in peace."

With a record of 17-0 (13 KOs), Mazion had an exciting fan-friendly style inside the ring, and 2020 looked to be a pivotal year for his career. He last fought on Jan. 11 at the Alamodome in San Antonio, scoring a first-round stoppage of Fernando Castaneda.

Golden Boy's Oscar De La Hoya called Mazion a "nice young man with all the talent in the world."

On 5/24/2020 at 2:41 PM, PittsburghTiger said:

It is intriguing to see. I just can't get around how much smaller Tyson is than today's group. I do think he'd have a good shot at the Wilder we saw get clobbered by Fury. Maybe if Wilder developed more he would be too much for a younger Tyson. As for Fury, he's almost a foot taller, probably about 40 pounds heavier. I'd watch it though.

10 minutes ago, futureman said:

lulz

Wouldn’t it be better to quote the entire comment, for context?

12 hours ago, futureman said:

no.  no amount of training would prepare wilder for young tyson. 

I'm not sure you can really make such a definitive statement. I mean, you can make it, but I don't think it carries as much certitude as you'd like. As a young fellow Tyson fought at about 220 pounds. These guys are so much bigger, up to a foot taller in Fury's case and 40 pounds, give or take a bit. Remember people were talking about Wilder being the most devastating puncher, some even said "ever". I don't think I agree with that.

My sentence basically was saying that if Wilder developed a jab, with an 83" reach compared to Tyson's 71" reach and then the bombs he supposedly throws, then yes, it could prove interesting.

An almost 30-year old Buster Douglas jabbed 23-year old Tyson to hell with 243 jabs to Tyson's 76. And then landed a lot more big shots. We also saw Lennox Lewis, another big man at 250 pounds with decided reach advantage jab him incessantly, 205 thrown with 109 landed. That set up a huge edge in power punches for Lewis, 84 of 123 landed. Tyson landed 20 of 134 jabs ( he couldn't reach him) and only slightly better in power punches, 29 of 77.

I didn't say that Wilder would demolish a young Mike Tyson. I did say that these much bigger men, with skills much better than some of the schlubs that Tyson fought in his first few years, would give him trouble.

And yes, I know the Tyson that fought Lewis was well past his prime but Lewis is actually older than Tyson. Holyfield is about four or five years older than Tyson, who was 30 and almost 31 when they fought, as well. 

Bigger men did give Tyson problems but not big men like Wilder. Wilder would need to completely change as a boxer to stand any chance. He throws no jab at all. It wasn’t just being bigger, all the guys you named knew how to throw a heavyweight jab. That’s not necessarily an easy skill to just learn. Especially after 40 fights. Not only that but Wilder would need to add so much bulk to his frame to take the interior pounding from Tyson. He would stand zero shot.

I think Fury could hang in that fight because Fury does know how to fight, might even win.

4 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Bigger men did give Tyson problems but not big men like Wilder. Wilder would need to completely change as a boxer to stand any chance. He throws no jab at all. It wasn’t just being bigger, all the guys you named knew how to throw a heavyweight jab. That’s not necessarily an easy skill to just learn. Especially after 40 fights. Not only that but Wilder would need to add so much bulk to his frame to take the interior pounding from Tyson. He would stand zero shot.

I think Fury could hang in that fight because Fury does know how to fight, might even win.

Which is why I said if Wilder would develop, i.e. find a good jab at 6'7". Which, judging from his post-fight comments from Wilder-Fury II, he won't.

• 1 month later...

https://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/id/29698240/oscar-de-la-hoya-47-says-ending-retirement-resume-boxing-career

Oscar De La Hoya told ESPN on Wednesday that he will return to the ring at the age of 47.

Twelve years after his last fight, the 11-time titlist confirmed he's ready to end his retirement.

"The rumors are true, and I'm going to start sparring in the next few weeks," De La Hoya said.

De La Hoya (39-6 30 KOs) will not be engaging in an exhibition fight like fellow retired champions Mike Tyson and Roy Jones Jr.

"It's a real fight," said De La Hoya. "I miss being in the ring, I love boxing. Boxing is what gave me everything I have today, and I just miss it."

12 years after Pacquiao beat his ass so bad he quit after the 8th round.....what could go wrong. 

• 1 month later...

I think Lopez +333 is the bet. If it was neutral odds, I'd probably take Loma in a decision, but I think the value is on Lopez at +333. Loma has the edge on technique but I'll always take the just as quick and more powerful younger fighter with a chip on his shoulder over the slightly more technical older fighter.

15 hours ago, CDAK said:

I think Lopez +333 is the bet. If it was neutral odds, I'd probably take Loma in a decision, but I think the value is on Lopez at +333. Loma has the edge on technique but I'll always take the just as quick and more powerful younger fighter with a chip on his shoulder over the slightly more technical older fighter.

ronald mcdonald lol GIF by McDonald's CZ/SK

18 hours ago, CDAK said:

Loma is the most technical fighter on the planet. He could certainly get knocked out but I really would doubt it. He’s only been knocked down once in his career. I would imagine Loma will wear Teo out over 7-8 rounds. Teo will know he can not afford to go the distance and will look for the knockout.

14 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Loma is the most technical fighter on the planet. He could certainly get knocked out but I really would doubt it. He’s only been knocked down once in his career. I would imagine Loma will wear Teo out over 7-8 rounds. Teo will know he can not afford to go the distance and will look for the knockout.

Which would then open him up to Lomachenko's precision.

man i have been waiting for this main event for so long. i grew up heavy into boxing, but after the heavyweight division lost the likes of Tyson, Holyfield, Lewis, Foreman, etc, I, like many, moved away from boxing and started focusing more on MMA. that, plus how much of a spineless pussy bitch Floyd Mayweather is have had me not following boxing too closely for a long time now. but Teo changed that for me, and i'm rooting so hard for him to win this fight, even though i feel like it's a true long suit against Lomachenko.

still, i haven't looked forward to a fight this much in years, and for me, if Teo has really trained harder than he ever has before and he has a great game plan- then hey, this may be the coronation of Teofimo Lopez. His loud mouth and antics can run a lot of people the wrong way, but he reminds me so much of my favorite fighter, RJJ, that i've grown a soft spot for him as well, and i'll be rooting very hard for him tonight.