Surly Boxing Thread

BigOrange1

2 hours ago, BurdineBandit said:

I heard that. It was a stupid comment, not even a good dig. As a Mex-American my first thought was if we're gonna play the stereotype game you're really gonna go with chicken? But w/e. He is who he is, and he got about what he deserved on Saturday. He was clearly the better boxer but if he's not willing to risk anything to win a fight then fuck him. He didn't have anything to say when Mexican Mikey Garcia bullied his ass around the ring for 12 rounds and forced him to shell up.

Charlo and Davis were impressive. I'm fully behind Charlo after he called out GGG. I like when fighters speak it into existence, enough of the hiding behind promoters bullshit. Tank doesn't really want Loma, he hid behind his promoters on some "if my team tells me that's what we gotta do then that's what I"ll do" bullshit. Charlo wasn't playing that.

It was a shitty dig that's for sure and in all honesty, that fight could have gone either way.   Broner thinks he's Floyd Mayweather and he's not.   Garcia did indeed take his mouthy ass to task and it was glorious.  

GGG vs. Charlo would be a great fight, but I really want to see Wilder v. Joshua happen.

Danny Jacobs against Sulecki was really interesting,  Jacobs ate a ton more punches against this guy than he did against GGG I thought it was close maybe 115-112  Jacobs and that's with a 2 point round in the 12th  ....the last two outings for Jacobs have been less than impressive coming off his fight with GGG .... now Jacobs is calling out Charlo on twitter?  good luck

21 hours ago, Yankee said:

Ryan Garcia reminded me of a young De La Hoya: I wanted to see him KO-ed the same way I wanted to see a young De La Hoya beat down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was wondering what the hate for this kid was about. Had never seen him fight. He looked to have fast hands and be pretty conventional, ala Mikey Garcia, nothing too flashy nor devastating power. His post-fight interview was pretty normal too, aside from calling out Tank, who he's 2 or 3 years away from fighting.

Loma vs. Linares this weekend. They're really pushing Linares as a threat to Loma, personally I don't think anybody within a couple of divisions can challenge him except Mikey. Linares has fast hands and looks pretty athletic in the ring but has been in some firefights with B+ level fighters in England. Loma is no B+ fighter.

Just now, BurdineBandit said:

Loma vs. Linares this weekend. They're really pushing Linares as a threat to Loma, personally I don't think anybody within a couple of divisions can challenge him except Mikey. Linares has fast hands and looks pretty athletic in the ring but has been in some firefights with B+ level "champions" in England. Loma is no B+ fighter.

56 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

loved the two fights hbo aired saturday night.  sadam ali vs jaime munguia.  munguia is a young beast.  the first fight was azat hovhannisyan vs rey vargas.  Azat gave vargas more than he bargained for.  both were great fights.

I liked munguia thanking the boxing commission for not allowing him to lose to GGG and allowing him to get a belt. 

Loma continuing his trajectory (not sure who is doubting him at this point, everybody has him as Top 3 P4P), hell of a fight. I was rooting for Linares but Loma is who he is, fast and technical with real pop, I like him more than I like GGG, he can win a fight many different ways. Other than Mikey (quickly becoming one of the biggest fights in boxing), I'm not sure who he fights under 140. Tank Davis is really the only fight I'd want to see, nobody else is in his class around 135.

Wish I'd seen that Munguia fight. Funny that just a few weeks ago I was asking "who tf is that guy" when his name came up for the GGG date, and then he goes and destroys Ali. After learning more about him, that he's only 22, I definitely don't think he needs to be in the ring with GGG right now. And probably shouldn't unless GGG is still fighting in another 2 or 3 years.

13 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:

that adonis stevenson/badou jack fight was great.

the last half was very entertaining ....Adonis was spent in the 6th ...then got his second wind at the end of the 10th ...then he could barely stand up the last 30 seconds of the fight 

I thought the decision was good, Adonis clearly won the first half of the fight  and Jack won every round from 6-10 and then round 12....

Neither of those two are going to beat any of the Kovalev or any of the others Russians, Ukraines, or whatever all those guys are in the light heavyweight division 

Gary Russel's fight was good too, his hand speed is outrageous 

did anyone see that poor bastards lip that fought on the Selby/Warrignton undercard?  it's been floating around twitter ...Fuck me 

Pissed that I missed the 2nd half of the fight, I had to leave after round 5 or 6, it had just started getting good, but you could tell Stevenson picked up his pace at that moment because he was getting frustrated. I had a feeling Jack would turn it up late.

I'd like to see either one against Kovalev really. Since the Ward fights Kovalev has been easing his way back into the mix, and now picked an interesting opponent, albeit one without much power at all in Alvarez. I'd actually think he'd be more interested in fighting Stevenson or Jack than he would Bivol or Beterbiev, his choice in opponents tells me he wants to coast into retirement soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Bud Crawford fights Saturday on ESPN + 

GGG got stripped of his IBF belt

Oscar says the GGG vs Canelo fight negotiations are off and he's going to work on getting a fight with Danny Jacobs

Errol Spence at the Star in Frisco on the 16th 

Dillian Whyte vs King Kong Ortiz announced for later this summer ...that's a good one 

Lomachenko apparently had a torn labrum for a portion of the Linares fight ....

Tyson Fury will fight Saturday on Showtime's youtube channel ..it's free ...

GGG having to agree to less than 50% shows one of the major problems with boxing:

• he's the undefeated fighter
  • pretty much every boxing expert agrees that he won the first fight
  • most importantly, he's not the guy coming off a PED suspension

canelo should be thrilled with a 50/50 split given those circumstances.  but no, because he has a big mexican fanbase, he gets to call the shots.

Edited by BigOrange1

20 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:

GGG having to agree to less than 50% shows one of the major problems with boxing:

• he's the undefeated fighter
  • pretty much every boxing expert agrees that he won the first fight
  • most importantly, he's not the guy coming off a PED suspension

canelo should be thrilled with a 50/50 split given those circumstances.  but no, because he has a big mexican fanbase, he gets to call the shots.

Bro. Really?

You're arguing boxing metrics for a business deal? This is capitalism, this is how our country works. He doesn't get to call shots because he has a "big mexican fanbase," he gets to call shots because his profitability outweights GGG's exponentially. You can do the research for GGG's biggest PPV #s outside of the Canelo fight, compare that with Canelo's PPV #s outside of GGG (you can even disregard Mayweather if you'd like, that's an outlier), then you'll have your answer as to why capitalism rules this scenario.

no, i understand that.  i just think it's fucked up that he can duck the fight with GGG because making the same amount of money as a guy he isn't as good as isn't enough for him.  

i don't think that kind of thing happens in the UFC where they have someone (dana white) who makes the fights.