Surly Boxing Thread

BigOrange1

as i've previously said, i don't think there is anyone at 160 or 168 who can threaten canelo.  i think the BJS fight will be fun to watch, but i don't think BJS has any real chance at winning.

canelo's most competitive fight is at 175 against artur beterbiev.  i hope it happens after he unifies 168.

On 2/28/2021 at 11:28 AM, BigOrange1 said:

as i've previously said, i don't think there is anyone at 160 or 168 who can threaten canelo.  i think the BJS fight will be fun to watch, but i don't think BJS has any real chance at winning.

canelo's most competitive fight is at 175 against artur beterbiev.  i hope it happens after he unifies 168.

Agreed on all fronts. I expect this next fight to go the way the Callum Smith fight went. BJS will move and try to "box", but Canelo will still overwhelm and pound him to the body and rack up points while BJS tries to "display" his defensive abilities. I'd see the Caleb Plant fight going the exact same way. I'd be more intrigued at a war with David Benavidez. 

It's crazy that he'll have to go up to 175 just to find a fighter that will earn him some respect. Anything at Caneloweight or 168 won't add to his legacy really.

On 3/3/2021 at 2:06 PM, BurdineBandit said:

Agreed on all fronts. I expect this next fight to go the way the Callum Smith fight went. BJS will move and try to "box", but Canelo will still overwhelm and pound him to the body and rack up points while BJS tries to "display" his defensive abilities. I'd see the Caleb Plant fight going the exact same way. I'd be more intrigued at a war with David Benavidez. 

It's crazy that he'll have to go up to 175 just to find a fighter that will earn him some respect. Anything at Caneloweight or 168 won't add to his legacy really.

It’s like I said upthread, there’s a minimum power requirement to even be able to step in the ring. If you can’t match him for power then you can’t beat him at this point in his career. And he hits like a fucking heavyweight but weighs 168

• Hook 'Em 1

50 years ago today...

spacer.png

Remember hearing who won while waiting in the gym/cafeteria in elementary school, was rooting for Ali and was heartbroken hearing he lost.  Later on Frazier became my favorite fighter/boxer, I've got a YT clip of him singing Mustang Sally at a local spot in Saratoga Springs.  

34 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

nice.  navarrete is badass as well.

also looks like we're getting two fury/joshua fights this year.  one in june/july and the second in november/december.

Call your shots. Who’s everyone got?

I’d take Fury. Gotta think his size will cause Joshua some problems. Joshua I think also needs to be much more fluid in his movement to have a chance imo

Edited by hobbes2702

Nobody else bothered by the announcement of a 2-fight contract? Something about it feels off to me. I understand the division is shit right now and there's really nothing else to do since I guess Joshua/Wilder is never happening? But announcing both fights seems to me like it will ensure a safe fight for both of these fighters (neither of whom are brawlers in the first place). Expecting a huge show and buildup, but not nearly as much for the fight. Fury UD12 and everyone goes home with their bellies full and ready to do it again in 6 months. 

• Like 1

On 3/7/2021 at 8:12 PM, Underdog said:

50 years ago today...

spacer.png

Remember hearing who won while waiting in the gym/cafeteria in elementary school, was rooting for Ali and was heartbroken hearing he lost.  Later on Frazier became my favorite fighter/boxer, I've got a YT clip of him singing Mustang Sally at a local spot in Saratoga Springs.  

I just watched that fight tonight. They had it on ESPN2, March 8 to celebrate the 50th anniversary and they also showed the other two fights. I recorded them all. 

It was an amazing display by both men. It seems to me that this was the greatest Heavyweight fight in the modern era, which I reckon starts when Ali wins the Olympics in 1960.

Or maybe their third fight, the Thrilla in Manila, is the greatest. 

Whichever one is chosen is fine by me. Those two needed each other and will forever be linked in history.

On 3/16/2021 at 4:13 PM, BurdineBandit said:

Nobody else bothered by the announcement of a 2-fight contract? Something about it feels off to me. I understand the division is shit right now and there's really nothing else to do since I guess Joshua/Wilder is never happening? But announcing both fights seems to me like it will ensure a safe fight for both of these fighters (neither of whom are brawlers in the first place). Expecting a huge show and buildup, but not nearly as much for the fight. Fury UD12 and everyone goes home with their bellies full and ready to do it again in 6 months. 

From the ESPN story:

But news of the deal comes just days after Fury expressed frustration with the negotiations that began back in January, telling IFL-TV that he had ceased training for Joshuaand was drinking "up to 12 pints a day."

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

well it ain't crawford/spence, but it will definitely be a show and manny smoked thurman his last time out...

Manny Pacquiao is in discussions to return to the boxing ring after an absence of nearly two years to fight WBO welterweight champion Terence Crawford on June 5, a spokesperson for promoter Top Rank said Tuesday.

Pacquiao, 42, would be facing ESPN's No. 1 pound-for-pound boxer in a pay-per-view bout in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates. In his last bout, in July 2019, Pacquiao (62-7-2, 39 KOs) defeated Keith Thurman to win the WBA welterweight title, making him a 12-time world champion. The WBA recently named Pacquiao its "champion in recess."

The 33-year-old Crawford (37-0, 28 KOs), who was the undisputed junior welterweight champ before moving up a division, last fought in November, knocking out Kell Brook. It was Crawford's eighth straight stoppage win. Pacquiao has been knocked out only once in his past 43 fights, dating to 1999.

"Discussions have taken place for a very long time," the Top Rank spokesperson said. "And while the fight is not yet close to being finalized, if it does take place, Abu Dhabi is the targeted location and June 5 is the targeted date.

And on the opposite end of the spectrum, jesus fuck. 

Former UFC champion Anderson Silva will face former middleweight world champion Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. in a 10-round boxing match on June 19 at Jalisco Stadium in Jalisco, Mexico, promoters confirmed to ESPN on Tuesday.

Promoter Saul Rios says the fight will take place at 180 pounds. This will be Silva's third professional boxing match. He suffered a first-round TKO loss to Osmar Luiz Teixeira in 1998 and won a second-round TKO over Julio Cesar De Jesus in 2005. Both earlier fights were held in Brazil.

Silva (34-11, 22 KOs and 4 submissions in MMA) is considered one of the best MMA fighters in history. The 45-year-old owns the longest victory streak in UFC history with 16. However, after he lost four of his last five fights, including decisions to current middleweight champion Israel Adesanya and Daniel Cormier and KOs to Jared Cannonier and Uriah Hall, the UFC released Silva. He hasn't fought since October.

"When I look back at my journey, I see that nothing has been in vain," Silva told TMZ. "I am extremely happy for the opportunity to test my boxing skills with Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.

"I train continuously, always striving for resilience and to overcome obstacles. Fighting is my everlasting breath."

Chavez Jr. (52-5-1, 34 KOs) defeated Jeyson Minda in November but is 2-3 in his past five fights, which includes a loss to Canelo Alvarez.

Also on the card, Julio Cesar Chavez Sr. will face Hector Camacho Jr., the son of the late Hector "Macho" Camacho, who was the senior Chavez's archrival.

Senior is 58. 

• 2 weeks later...